Noob needs help with Home Theatre set-up (speakers in multiple rooms) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 03-05-2007, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey all,

Recently moved into my new house and I'm struggling to figure out how to set everything up. During construction I had the house wired for sound with speakers installed in each room. Each room has separate speaker inputs located on a central panel in my media room. In total there are 6 speaker input pairs

What kind of receiver can I use on this system? I was originally considering just getting a cheap HTIB system, but I don't think there will be enough connections for all my speakers.

I also want to hook my HD cable and 46" Aquos into this system so I'd like something with HDMI capabilities.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-06-2007, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Almost any mid-level receiver would probably work. Take a look at Denon, Harmon Kardon, Yamaha or Onkyo.

The "B" channel speaker outputs on the receiver would be connected to an external speaker selector like this:

http://www.nilesaudio.com/product.ph...rdcdID=FG01038

The speaker selector controls impedance and makes the receiver think only one set of speakers are connected. This protects the receiver from overload.
post #3 of 4 Old 10-12-2008, 02:54 PM

I think this relates to my question also. I am a total newbie.
I have a Yamaha HTR-5930 receiver. Right now the only things it's connected to are my ipod and two Bang & Olufsen Beovox S50 speakers. The receiver and those two speakers are in my living room, so I cannot hear the music in my bedroom. I want to connect two small, inexpensive Sony bookshelf speakers to the receiver so I can hear my ipod through the Beos in the living room and the Sonys in my bedroom at the same time. How can I do this? I am clueless.

A friend suggested hooking the left Beo and the left Sony speakers into the same "left" port on the back of the receiver, and then doing the same for the two right speakers (hooking them into the "right" port), but I am concerned about power usage. The Sonys are small and fairly weak, but they will be on the other end of about 50 feet of speaker wire in order to sit in my bedroom. I want the Yamaha to last as long as possible into the future so don't want to hurt it.
Do I need to get something like the device Rupert linked to? Or can I safely follow my friend's advice? Thank you.
post #4 of 4 Old 10-14-2008, 08:32 AM

So, does anyone have any input on this problem? Thanks...
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page