Audio hook up question for non HDMI receiver - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 03-11-2007, 11:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My question is on the best way to connect the audio to my non-HDMI receiver while using HDMI to connect the display. I've searched the threads and didn't find anything exactly on point, but if you know the right link and could direct me, I would appreciate it. Here's my equipment:

Display: Panasonic TH-50PX600U with 2 HDMI inputs
Receiver: Onkyo HT-R940 (no HDMI inputs)
DVD Player: OPPO DV-970HD
Comcast DVR Set Top Box

I've connected the display to both the Comcast Set Top Box and the DVD player via HDMI. Connected the DVD player audio to the Receiver via digital optial input. Connected the Set Top Box audio to the Receiver via RCA input.

Here's the problem:

The audio seems slightly out of sync from the DVD player. When both the TV audio and the surround sound audio are on at the same time you can hear a slight delay. The receiver has adjustable delay times, but changing them only makes the problem worse.

I know the optimum solution is probably to get an HDMI capable receiver, but I'm not going to do that. Is there a preferred way to hook up the audio in this type of set up? Any thoughts on the audio sync issue?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-12-2007, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

You might do better posting this in the DVD player forum, perhaps in the Oppo Digital DV-970HD FAQ / Brain dump thread.

I have a PX500U with a DVD player connected via HDMI and a an optical digital audio connection to my receiver. I think that is the standard method if you are not connecting via the receiver. I don't experience any audio delay from the DVD player. On the other hand the Moto DVR is connected via component to the display and I get audio delay that is just enough to be noticed on some shows.

I don't listen to the TV's speakers and the external speakers at the same time however.

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd.
-Bertrand Russell
post #3 of 4 Old 03-12-2007, 10:59 PM - Thread Starter

I actually have the same delay problem with the cable box audio, so the issue is not soley with the OPPO dvd player. Anyone have any thoughts?
post #4 of 4 Old 03-15-2007, 01:23 PM
Advanced Member

[quote=barnesman]
Here's the problem:

The audio seems slightly out of sync from the DVD player. When both the TV audio and the surround sound audio are on at the same time you can hear a slight delay. The receiver has adjustable delay times, but changing them only makes the problem worse.

That I believe is your primary problem... having the sound come out of the TV speakers AND the receiver at the same time. Turn off the speakers in the TV and just let the speakers that are hooked up to your receiver do all the work. That way any delay can hopefully be compensated for through the Oppo.

Better to want what you don't have, than to have what you don't want!

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page