Setting Up Your Home Theater 101 - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 203 Old 08-01-2007, 05:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

I'm still educating myself in the Home Theater Audio arena so bear with me. I've read quite a bit and gotten my system (Yamaha HTIB YHT-380) to a good place but have one remaining issue I'm having trouble finding information on.

A) LFE/Bass Out: In this option I can select the speakers that output the LFE signal to the Subwoofer only or to both the Subwoofer and Front speakers. Which is the best option? I try to use my ear to just say, "this sounds better" but I'm still getting used to having surround sound in general so it's kind of a bombardment of stimulation at this point. Also, I wouldn't know if something else was the byproduct of this setting (good or bad).

B) Dynamic Range: In this one, I can select the amount of "Dynamic Range Compression" to be applied to my speakers. Options are Min., STD, and MAX. The description of each one doesn't exactly clarify what I'm changing. Right now, I would say that the difference between a regular scene containing dialogue/atmosphere and a heavy action scene are a bit much. I want those regular scenes to be a good volume but I don't want to shatter the windows when somebody goes berserk with a shotgun. It says that MAX preserves the greatest amount of Dynamic Range. Does that mean the range is larger? If that is so, does that mean that setting it to anything else is altering the signal and possibly degrading it or losing tonal range?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 203 Old 08-02-2007, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj16mm View Post

Hello,

I'm still educating myself in the Home Theater Audio arena so bear with me. I've read quite a bit and gotten my system (Yamaha HTIB YHT-380) to a good place but have one remaining issue I'm having trouble finding information on.

A) LFE/Bass Out: In this option I can select the speakers that output the LFE signal to the Subwoofer only or to both the Subwoofer and Front speakers. Which is the best option? I try to use my ear to just say, "this sounds better" but I'm still getting used to having surround sound in general so it's kind of a bombardment of stimulation at this point. Also, I wouldn't know if something else was the byproduct of this setting (good or bad).

B) Dynamic Range: In this one, I can select the amount of "Dynamic Range Compression" to be applied to my speakers. Options are Min., STD, and MAX. The description of each one doesn't exactly clarify what I'm changing. Right now, I would say that the difference between a regular scene containing dialogue/atmosphere and a heavy action scene are a bit much. I want those regular scenes to be a good volume but I don't want to shatter the windows when somebody goes berserk with a shotgun. It says that MAX preserves the greatest amount of Dynamic Range. Does that mean the range is larger? If that is so, does that mean that setting it to anything else is altering the signal and possibly degrading it or losing tonal range?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

A) Set all your speakers to small and set the LFE/Bass Out to SWFR only. Set your crossover to 80Hz or 100Hz for the subwoofer.

B) Set to max, as it will the to preserve the greatest amount of dynamic range for your particular receiver.

sorry for the late response. I dont check this thread to often.

super dirty , super clean , pow
post #63 of 203 Old 08-04-2007, 03:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Aug 4, 2007

Added:

Test Tones

Stay in Tune with PentaTone

post #64 of 203 Old 08-07-2007, 03:42 AM

Was wondering if I could get some advice about setup, in that I don't have an HD in my home theater currently. My setup is completely underground, with no ambient light at all. Purchased Samsung DLP 67" to replace a Hitachi SBX60 that is 10 years old (still looks great but analog).

I have a Denon AVR 2801 with the Klipsch Quintet surround speakers with the 12" Klipsch woofer. This receiver does not have HDMI connectivity. I am totally satisfied with the audio quality with these speakers and this receiver. I'm wondering what my options are relative to hookups and whether I need a new AV receiver because of the new Samsung. If I do need a new receiver, how many HDMI ports should I be looking for?

I will be using DirecTV HD with DVR service. I also have non high definition Comcast cable (for local Philadelphia sports only, and a better price on cable modem; not currently planning on upgrading this as well). I have a regular DVD player, and do not own any high def gaming systems.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
post #65 of 203 Old 08-21-2007, 03:24 AM

Hey Guys...

AM about to install a set of B&W M1's and am figuring out where to put my rear speakers.

At the moment i'm thinking of placing them at each corner just below the ceiling. Is this an OK placement? I've had some advice that it needs to be lower down and not too high up, etc..

Any tips?

If the ceiling is too high, do you know if B&W do a custom extension bracket where it can be hooked into the ceiling but extended down lower?

My issue is that my 'blackout' curtains go from ceiling to floor so its a problem to install the speakers on the wall...

The other alternative of course is to get the normal speaker stands...opnly thing is i've got small kids...and for those of you who have these little creatures running around, you know what their like with things their not supposed to be messing with!! ha ha...

Thanks people. Hope someone can give me some tips.

Cheers,
Straven
post #66 of 203 Old 08-26-2007, 08:25 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Straven07 View Post

Hey Guys...

AM about to install a set of B&W M1's and am figuring out where to put my rear speakers.

At the moment i'm thinking of placing them at each corner just below the ceiling. Is this an OK placement? I've had some advice that it needs to be lower down and not too high up, etc..

Any tips?

If the ceiling is too high, do you know if B&W do a custom extension bracket where it can be hooked into the ceiling but extended down lower?

My issue is that my 'blackout' curtains go from ceiling to floor so its a problem to install the speakers on the wall...

The other alternative of course is to get the normal speaker stands...opnly thing is i've got small kids...and for those of you who have these little creatures running around, you know what their like with things their not supposed to be messing with!! ha ha...

Thanks people. Hope someone can give me some tips.

Cheers,
Straven

About rear speaker placement, you could try this:
http://www.dolby.com/consumer/home_entertainment/
post #67 of 203 Old 08-26-2007, 08:41 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Salut mon bon dr.pain.

I thank you many times for the great links you have in this thread. That will be most useful to me and some friends of mine too.
post #68 of 203 Old 10-15-2007, 05:47 PM
Advanced Member

Adding a Receiver

For some reason I can't wrap my mind around this. I have a 5070.
Here is the setup now.

Tosh SD5000 - HDMI
XBox 360 - Composite
SA-8300HDC - HDMI

Speakerbar along with Sony sub

Due to budget and apartment constraints I plan on getting the Pioneer HTS-GS1 HTIB.

The HTIB has three digital connections (2 optical 1 coax)

Here is where my confusion steps in.

Do I keep the above components connected like they are, then connect each components (digital audio out) to the "receiver".

Or do I connect the digital audio out on the 5070 to the receiver?

I'm trying to get 5.1 sound (when applicable) and not have any lip sync issues. It seems that if I do not connect the digital audio out on the 5070 to the receiver that I could get lip sync problems, but I may not get the 5.1 sound (again, when applicable).

Would any/everyone mind helping out?
Sincerely appreciated

Skid

BOTJ Member... Onk 705 FW 1.06
post #69 of 203 Old 10-18-2007, 10:31 PM

I understand how to calibrate my system for 5.1 with the SPL meter etc..

but I'm curious how everyone calibrates their surrounds when using a 7.1 system.. especially when they listen to 7.1 discrete PCM tracks on Blu-ray.
Do you calibrate each of the 4 surround speakers independently?
OR do you calibrate each channel independently? i.e. as if you're setting up your 7.1 to listen to both 7.1 or 5.1 material, by calibrating the left surround of the 5.1 channel with both Side-Left surround AND back left surround turned on together?

I've looked through these calibration 101 posts, but no one seems to clarify this. It's important because it could be +/- 3dB either way.

Thanks for any help!
post #70 of 203 Old 10-23-2007, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllAboutTheHD View Post

I understand how to calibrate my system for 5.1 with the SPL meter etc..

but I'm curious how everyone calibrates their surrounds when using a 7.1 system.. especially when they listen to 7.1 discrete PCM tracks on Blu-ray.
Do you calibrate each of the 4 surround speakers independently?
OR do you calibrate each channel independently? i.e. as if you're setting up your 7.1 to listen to both 7.1 or 5.1 material, by calibrating the left surround of the 5.1 channel with both Side-Left surround AND back left surround turned on together?

I've looked through these calibration 101 posts, but no one seems to clarify this. It's important because it could be +/- 3dB either way.

Thanks for any help!

setup all channels equally using your avr's test tones and spl meter to 75db

post #71 of 203 Old 10-24-2007, 09:48 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
A very nice collection of links, Dr. Thanks!

One thing i'd like to know more about is the setup of acoustical absorbers (or diffusers, or bass traps) specifically in a dedicated home theater room (i.e. not just 2 channel audio). It seems the fiberglass based products are viewed as superior to foam, so you might want to link to threads discussing the various products (either DIY or ready-made), and placement of the treatments. I understand treating the first reflection points on the side walls, but how much is needed (i've read up to 30% of wall surface area should be covered!), where else is it needed (i.e. entire wall behind front speaker), etc? I read things about treating from the floor to the listening height all around the side and rear walls, but i don't really understand that much. Also, what about floor and ceiling treatment? I've again read conflicting reports of what's recommended, especially on the floor, since carpets and rugs can be "comb" absorbers.

Thanks again!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My Basement Build Thread

post #72 of 203 Old 10-24-2007, 10:32 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Well, i stumbled onto this thread: Acoustics Discussion for Dedicated HT

It answers alot of my questions, although a consensus would still be nice

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My Basement Build Thread

post #73 of 203 Old 10-24-2007, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saldog78 View Post

A very nice collection of links, Dr. Thanks!

One thing i'd like to know more about is the setup of acoustical absorbers (or diffusers, or bass traps) specifically in a dedicated home theater room (i.e. not just 2 channel audio). It seems the fiberglass based products are viewed as superior to foam, so you might want to link to threads discussing the various products (either DIY or ready-made), and placement of the treatments. I understand treating the first reflection points on the side walls, but how much is needed (i've read up to 30% of wall surface area should be covered!), where else is it needed (i.e. entire wall behind front speaker), etc? I read things about treating from the floor to the listening height all around the side and rear walls, but i don't really understand that much. Also, what about floor and ceiling treatment? I've again read conflicting reports of what's recommended, especially on the floor, since carpets and rugs can be "comb" absorbers.

Thanks again!

is this enough for you?

Sound Treatments and Acoustics

Audioholics - Introduction to Acoustics
Audioholics - DIY Absorbers for the Less-than-Handy Man
Audioholics - Acoustical Measurements - What are They?
Audioholics - A Guide to Sound Isolation and Noise Control
Audioholics - Room Acoustics: Isolation & Noise Control
Audioholics - Reducing HVAC Noise in Theater Rooms
Audioholics - Early Reflections in Home Theaters: A Different Perspective
Audioholics - Building Great Bass Response In Your Home Theater
Audioholics - Audyssey Labs' MultEQ
Audioholics - The Perfect Room?
Audioholics - Room Acoustics: Acoustic Treatments
Audioholics - Acoustics 101 Course by John Dahl of THX
Audioholics - Acoustics Facts and Fiction by Ethan Winer
Audioholics - Bass Traps - Not Just for Fisherman! by Ethan Winer
Audioholics - Early Reflections in Home Theaters: A Different Perspective
Home Theater HiFi's - Acoustical Room Treatment: A Survey of Methods and Materials
Loudspeakers and Rooms - Working Together by Floyd E. Toole from Harmon
Maximizing Loudspeaker Performance In Rooms by Floyd E. Toole from Harmon
Audio - Science in the Service of Art by Floyd E. Toole from Harmon
Acoustical Concepts of Contemporary Home Theaters by Ryan O. Allen
Jon Risch's DIY Acoustic Treatments
Cutting Rigid Fiberglass for Bass Traps
Bob Gold's Absorption Coefficients
Acoustic Treatment and Design for Recording Studios and Listening Rooms by Ethan Winer
Real Traps - Acoustic Treatment Overview
ATS Acoustics - Sound Absorption and Acoustical Panel FAQ's
GIK Acoustics - Acoustics Primer - Some Basics On Acoustics
Ready Acoustics - Acoustical Primer
Sensible Sound Solutions
Sonopan Acoustics
Quiet Rock - THX Certified Drywall
Green Glue
Auralex SubDude
Owens Corning Rigid Fiberglas 700 Series Insulation

post #74 of 203 Old 11-10-2007, 02:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

post #75 of 203 Old 12-26-2007, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
No video section? I know it is an audio forum, but the list is so complete, it would be cool if one were added.

"It is worse still to be ignorant of your ignorance."
-- Saint Jerome (374 AD - 419 AD)

My Home Theatre
post #76 of 203 Old 12-27-2007, 06:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueueCumber View Post

No video section? I know it is an audio forum, but the list is so complete, it would be cool if one were added.

That would be " Setting Up Your Home Theater Video 101"

...Give me a few links and I'll start one.

post #77 of 203 Old 12-27-2007, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPainMD View Post

That would be " Setting Up Your Home Theater Video 101"

...Give me a few links and I'll start one.

Sadly, I don't have any, or I wouldn't be looking for them myself...

I bookmarked the page though, for when I want to read up more on audio information (after I fix some issues in other areas of my setup...).

My Home Theatre
post #78 of 203 Old 12-28-2007, 04:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I like how you edit your posts after your done.

post #79 of 203 Old 12-28-2007, 04:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPainMD View Post

I like how you edit your posts after your done.

Thanks. Sometimes I add stuff quickly to the thread in the first few minutes after I initially post if I think of something suddenly. This way I don't have to keep adding new posts to a thread and unintentionally clutter it, which to most people is much more annoying...

My Home Theatre
post #80 of 203 Old 01-06-2008, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Jan 6, 2008

Added

Test Tones, DVD's

VB-Audio - Sine Wave Generator - "LF Generator"

post #81 of 203 Old 01-10-2008, 07:01 PM

the thing im wondering about most is wattage. is comparing the wattage of the receiver and speaker the most crucial part? obviously im worried about blowing speakers or the receiver, etc, so i just want to make sure im pairing the right components. for example, i have JBL scs500.5 speakers, that say they have impedance of 8 ohm and maximum amplified power of 100 watts. the receiver im planning on getting is the Onkyo TX-SR705, which says it has an output of 100 watts per channel. Do these matching wattages mean that I am good to go? or are there other settings that need to be adjusted? i read the link about power, but a lot of the terms used in that are not used in the manuals of the components i have, making it a little harder. if anyone can elaborate on what you need to look at in terms of power thatd be awesome.

thanks
post #82 of 203 Old 01-12-2008, 05:31 PM

Thanks very much DrPain.

I just purchased an SPL meter from Radioshack and did the prescribed calibration.

HOLY CRAP

I can't believe what a difference it made. Absolutely fantastic,my HT immersion has gone up 100%. Definitely worth the $44.99 I spent on the SPL meter.
post #83 of 203 Old 01-18-2008, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nozerider View Post

Thanks very much DrPain.

I just purchased an SPL meter from Radioshack and did the prescribed calibration.

HOLY CRAP

I can't believe what a difference it made. Absolutely fantastic,my HT immersion has gone up 100%. Definitely worth the $44.99 I spent on the SPL meter.

glad to hear, pun intended

Quote:
Originally Posted by nozerider View Post

Could someone in layman's term explain to me what I need to do for accurate results?

I just calibrated my system. Set the meter to 70, set the volume on my receiver so the needle hovers around 0db. I then adjusted everything to the +5db setting. Supposedly I'm at 75db for my speakers, and my sub is 85db at my reference level.

What do I need for more accurate results?

saw this from another post you had...

Dial the sub in at 72db or so (72db is to compensate for the inaccurate reading the meter gives for bass) . Set your AVR to -5db for the sub and adjust the sub gain on the subwoofer until you reach 72db on the rat shack. Any more than that you'll be running the sub "hot"

Keep asking questions until your satisfied.

post #84 of 203 Old 01-18-2008, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by isu1648 View Post

the thing im wondering about most is wattage. is comparing the wattage of the receiver and speaker the most crucial part? obviously im worried about blowing speakers or the receiver, etc, so i just want to make sure im pairing the right components. for example, i have JBL scs500.5 speakers, that say they have impedance of 8 ohm and maximum amplified power of 100 watts. the receiver im planning on getting is the Onkyo TX-SR705, which says it has an output of 100 watts per channel. Do these matching wattages mean that I am good to go? or are there other settings that need to be adjusted? i read the link about power, but a lot of the terms used in that are not used in the manuals of the components i have, making it a little harder. if anyone can elaborate on what you need to look at in terms of power thatd be awesome.

thanks

your more than good to go

post #85 of 203 Old 02-15-2008, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpu8088 View Post

too many quotes from audioholics and very one sided view about cable is cable. that is why this should not be a sticky

have a more opened mind. this field is still evolving

+1

Pro HD
post #86 of 203 Old 02-16-2008, 06:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbelon View Post

You have to remember there are many people here who don't own very high resolution systems. To them cable is cable and you can't tell them otherwise. It is usually best not to bring the topic up as it cause much anger and hand-wringing.

+1 ?

post #87 of 203 Old 02-16-2008, 11:21 AM

+1 in that I am in agreement with the OP about having an open mind regarding cables or any other audio related topic. Unfortunately, many here do not share this opinion.

D

Pro HD
post #88 of 203 Old 02-28-2008, 02:43 PM

Wow this is spot on, a great compilation. Can you say bookmark?

Information regarding intellectual property.
post #89 of 203 Old 03-03-2008, 11:08 PM
AVS Special Member

I have a question about bi-wiring.

If I can, should I bi-wire my speakers?
And if I should how would I go about doing it? And why isn't the banana plug yellow?

Thanks.

Ridiculous codec tier sig gone. Still AVC/24bit lossless fanboy.

Studio quality tier
Most Major studios>Small Studios>dogs>cats>Warner(the guys that do new movies)
post #90 of 203 Old 03-06-2008, 05:15 PM

I have a Toshiba XA-2 HD player hooked up to my Yamaha
RX-V2400. I want to add a blu-ray player to the receiver also. For my 5.1 channel RCA audio hook-up on the back of the receiver, can I put a Y adapter to each RCA input so both machines can be hooked up at the same time? I would only turn the power on the player I would be using.
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page