Setting Up Your Home Theater 101 - Page 5 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #121 of 205 Old 11-14-2008, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvGeek07 View Post

is anyone gonna update this sticky? I notice that new gear that is out now that has new sources. Like,eq,hdmi etc.

got some links?

super dirty , super clean , pow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 205 Old 11-23-2008, 04:09 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Wow, there's a lot of information here. Thanks for putting it all in once place. Looks like I've got some homework to do . . .
post #123 of 205 Old 11-29-2008, 05:26 PM

Hi, great thread!

The DTS link in Speaker Layout has gone stale - it should now go to Support/Speaker_Options.aspx on the dts.com site. Sorry, I can't post URLs yet so you'll have to concatenate the path to dts.com yourself.
post #124 of 205 Old 01-21-2009, 02:24 AM

Superb Audio links, this is a great info.
post #125 of 205 Old 01-24-2009, 03:07 AM

Great thread. I'm sure it'll come in very useful.

I'm a total noob and have just been given a Sony STR-DA5400ES. I've also got a Mordaunt Short Carnival 5.1 set. Looking for some advice on what next...

Is this an appropriate thread to ask? :|
post #126 of 205 Old 02-22-2009, 10:42 AM

Liked: 11
What do you guys think would be the better environment for my HT:

I am currently in a a 18ft deep by 14ft wide room where one side is open to stairs and a kitchen/rest of the house. This is where my speakers are setup atm.

Im thinking of putting my setup in the basement which has drywall all around and a completely closed off area with the doors closed. It measures at 20ft deep and 12ft wide and opens to 15ft wide in the second half of the room.

So with that in mind, is the smaller, open room better acoustically, or the closed, bigger room. To describe the open area, it has a set of stairs, maybe 8 stairs and you can see the kitchen from the living room which is half a level higher. So its not completely open since they are on different planes but its enough that the speakers can be heard upstairs easily.

I have Energy RC-10s, Energy RC-LCR and a 10" sub.
post #127 of 205 Old 02-26-2009, 07:52 AM
Advanced Member

I am starting to set up my Home theater and I need to do some wireing. I have some Energy C-50 speakers for the rear and need to run about 30 ft X 2 through the back wall attic to get to them and only short runs for the Energy C-100 front speakers and Infinity CC2 Center speaker. What size wire do I need? I am wireing up a Denon AVR 1909 Amp. It would be easier to use white coated wire and run it along the baseboard but monoprice does not have any 14 G in stock and Radio Shak has only 16 G. It would be best to buy 100' of wire.
post #128 of 205 Old 02-26-2009, 07:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willis52 View Post

I am new to this HT and I have a question. If I connect my blu-ray player with HDMI to the receiver, how can I just get sound from my tv and not 7.1? Will I have to use 2 inputs like HDMI for the receiver and component for the tv?

For instance with the Denon AVR 1909 when it is put in standby mode whatever HDMI input was selected like D* or whatever it simply passes the signal directly through to the TV. So check out your AV receiver
post #129 of 205 Old 03-02-2009, 06:12 PM

I have some question on my setup, I have a 7.1 setup, using all Cambridge Soundworks speakers, here are my questions.

1. I have a long wall where my TV is built into the wall and my main & center speakers are in-wall speakers. My wall is 6 even squared raised panel wall and the center square has my center channel, I want to add 2 more center channels to the outside squares, for a total of 3 center channels, I know that you shouldn't do this but does anyone know how it might sound, and will this damage my Onkyo 705 recievier.

2. I want to add 2 subwoofers in the back of the room, coming of the Left Main and Right Main is this ok to do also.

With the 3 center channel speakers if I wire them in parallel the ohms value is 2.8 ohms, I know that is should be around 8 ohms, is it better to wire them in parallel or wire them in series. also if I wire them in Parallel can I add a resistor to bring the value to 8 ohms,. thanks jim
post #130 of 205 Old 03-04-2009, 05:48 PM

I have been reading the whole post on speaker levels and settings this is where i hit a wall. I have stood in front of my receiver adjusting until my fingers hurt. I let the mic adjust the sound throught the receiver but it seems off so i tweak it some more. Then I dont know if I tweaked it to much lol. I did not purchase a SPL yet. I am wondering where I should I start I dont know if there is not enough Bass or to much I am confused with settings . Help Jay

I have a Yamaha RX-V663 Receiver
Front Definitive Tech Pro 800
Center sony 150 w its'ok
Rear surrond 2 small Sony Speakers they are ok
Sub Paradigm Pro PDR-8
Samsung BD1400
Samsung 40 in LCD 550 Series
post #131 of 205 Old 03-17-2009, 06:14 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Is any of the Home Theater sound analysis software available to run on a MacBook Pro?
post #132 of 205 Old 03-19-2009, 07:24 PM

hey all

i'm looking for some simple advice...i currently have the following 5.1 setup:

onkyo TX-SR606 receiver
klipsch RF-82 L/R front speakers
klipsch RC-62 centre speaker
svs PC12-NSD sub
a 8yr or so pair of HTiB jvc satellites for my surrounds

i've been told to upgrade my surrounds last as they make the lowest contribution to a movie's soundtrack...i'm close to having the money now to spring for the klipsch RB-61 which i will use for the surrounds (not a fan of the RS series)...i was going to take out the jvc speakers and leave it as a 5.1 system, but my receiver is capable of 7.1...would it be a good idea to just use them as my rear L/R surrounds, or should i keep it at 5.1?
post #133 of 205 Old 03-19-2009, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke_019 View Post

hey all

i'm looking for some simple advice...i currently have the following 5.1 setup:

onkyo TX-SR606 receiver
klipsch RF-82 L/R front speakers
klipsch RC-62 centre speaker
svs PC12-NSD sub
a 8yr or so pair of HTiB jvc satellites for my surrounds

i've been told to upgrade my surrounds last as they make the lowest contribution to a movie's soundtrack...i'm close to having the money now to spring for the klipsch RB-61 which i will use for the surrounds (not a fan of the RS series)...i was going to take out the jvc speakers and leave it as a 5.1 system, but my receiver is capable of 7.1...would it be a good idea to just use them as my rear L/R surrounds, or should i keep it at 5.1?

I hate to say it but the only real answer here is to give it a try. There are two possible outcomes. 1) you will benefit from the added channels and you will achieve improved envelopment 2) the difference in sound quality between the Klipsch speakers and the JVC speakers will be noticeable and distracting.

My guess is that if the current mismatch hasn't bothered you, that it won't when the JVCs are placed into rear duty.

One last possibility, if you find that your sound becomes harsh with high level playback, you may need to go back to 5.1 just so you are overtaxing your AVR's amp section by drawing the power needed for 7 channels vs. 5.
post #134 of 205 Old 03-20-2009, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifisponge View Post

I hate to say it but the only real answer here is to give it a try. There are two possible outcomes. 1) you will benefit from the added channels and you will achieve improved envelopment 2) the difference in sound quality between the Klipsch speakers and the JVC speakers will be noticeable and distracting.

My guess is that if the current mismatch hasn't bothered you, that it won't when the JVCs are placed into rear duty.

One last possibility, if you find that your sound becomes harsh with high level playback, you may need to go back to 5.1 just so you are overtaxing your AVR's amp section by drawing the power needed for 7 channels vs. 5.

thanks for the reply

yeah, i have to admit that i'm okay with the JVC speakers for now and they're not bothering me at all...i'm upgrading because i'm pretty sure the difference will be dramatic...

the one thing i'm worried about is that if i like the JVC speakers as L/R rear surrounds in a 7.1 setup, i'm going to have to end up upgrading to klipsch speakers there too
post #135 of 205 Old 04-02-2009, 12:58 AM

post #136 of 205 Old 04-21-2009, 08:43 PM

I am having issues with some video and audio on my new theatre systems. I have 2 sammy lcds 850 and 580 and 2 sammy 663 receivers all hdmi 1.3 with celing speakers and woofers. I can manually change the settings to get 1080 on video but when something isnt brodcast it condences and sometimes shows white line near top of screen. Likewise if i am in standard aspect ratio my premuim HD channels get blinking white lines at top ot bottom of screen. Audio wise my system dosnt pic up dolby surround i have to manually change it to 7.1 on my receiver. Basically everything works i just have to do alot of manual adjusting depending on what i am trying to watch. I have Att uverse. ANy thoughts?

side note tech support at uverse said hdmi cant process anything over 2 channel
post #137 of 205 Old 04-22-2009, 11:59 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbushnell View Post

Is any of the Home Theater sound analysis software available to run on a MacBook Pro?

Room EQ Wizard will run on a Macbook Pro with Leopard. Great tool and the price is right.

Cheers,

jr

Knowledge is good. - Emil Faber, Faber College
post #138 of 205 Old 04-27-2009, 10:39 AM

Hey all,

The second link (The Dolby Guide to Home Theater Sound) under the General setting is no longer working. Would anyone have an updated link?

Thanks
post #139 of 205 Old 04-27-2009, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatGold View Post

Hey all,

The second link (The Dolby Guide to Home Theater Sound) under the General setting is no longer working. Would anyone have an updated link?

Thanks

http://www.dolby.com/consumer/home_e...ent/index.html

hope this helps....?

post #140 of 205 Old 05-15-2009, 03:42 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Here are some links I have found useful...

ecoustics - Setting Up Your First Home Theater Surround System: Do's and Don'ts
Written in 2006 so it is a little dated, this brief article by Alan Lofft of Axiom Audio has clear, concise explanations for basic HT system set-up.

Cardas Audio - Setting Up Speakers In A Rectangular Room

If your system is set up in one, read this.

TNT - Audio Wilson Audio set-up Procedure or WASP: Speaker placement made easy
Integrating audio into your living environment without hanging egg crates all over your walls and ceilings.

Audioholics - Balanced vs. Unbalanced Interconnects

My life is mostly unbalanced so what do I know...

AllegroSound - How Much Amplifier Power Do I Really Need?

Includes a calculator.

--Michael
post #141 of 205 Old 05-19-2009, 03:32 PM

I am enclosing a plan view of my system. I am using Martin Logan speakers (they are all dipole). The fronts are full-range floor standing SL3s, the center is a Logos (ceiling mounted), and the rears are Stylos (wall mounted).

I am wondering if it is worth me upgrading from 5.1 to 7.1. My biggest limitation is room size. I cannot come far off the back wall (2ft for the prime position), and I don't have a wall to the side (its the entrance to the room). I have to bring the side speakers ahead 4ft.

I am considering a pair of Script i speakers, which can wall mount and hinge to face in any direction.

I am purchasing an Oppo player, and would like to listen to 7.1 material, but I am wondering if I will be taking a backward step.

Please advise.

room-layout.pdf 230.7265625k . file
Attached Files
File Type: pdf room-layout.pdf (230.7 KB, 25 views)
post #142 of 205 Old 07-02-2009, 09:01 AM

Hi - I am having a contractor run wires for me for multi-room setup. All rooms are going to have 14/2 wire for speakers and volume control. I need help in figuring out what other wires i should get installed. Here is what i am getting done:

1. HDMI from TV location to Closet(component location).
2. Speaker wires to closet.
3. 20 Amp in the closet, Cable wire, Cat5(internet)???

Goal is to be able to control from one remote in in main room(TV and audio) and wall mounted volume control in each room for audio. Not sure about:

1. What else should be thinking in getting the wires setup?
2. IR/RF wires needed. Should I use Cat5e from tv to Closet.
3. Run Cat5e to each room with speaker wires - future use?
4. Besides HDMI connection to tv - should i get component wire/additional HDMI/DVI??

Thanks for the help.
post #143 of 205 Old 07-09-2009, 11:02 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
There's new hardware on the market these days with fewer connectors on the back of them such as; no phono jack and a few of the older jacks. One thing I noticed is many of the surround systems are 7.1 and there's few 5.1 sytems which have an array of the many jacks on the rear panel, for old connections etc.

I hear most media is only 5.1 anyway and I have 5.1 speaker's layout. How would the 5.1 speaker layout connect to a 7.1 home theater amp?
post #144 of 205 Old 07-09-2009, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsuburban View Post

...I hear most media is only 5.1 anyway and I have 5.1 speaker's layout. How would the 5.1 speaker layout connect to a 7.1 home theater amp?

The AVR's setup procedures allow you to "tell" it how many speakers are connected. (Some can determine this on their own via their room EQ programs.) In those still rare instances where the original program is 7.1, the AVR will automatically down mix it to 5.1.

When hooking them up, it is important to connect the "rear" speakers to the R/L Surround terminals, not the R/L Rear terminals on a 7.1 receiver. Otherwise, setting up for 5.1 is pretty straightforward. Speaker placement is about the same either way, with the surrounds at about 90-110 degrees from the listening position.
post #145 of 205 Old 07-21-2009, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Bump for info

post #146 of 205 Old 07-22-2009, 02:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by au-734 View Post

Room EQ Wizard will run on a Macbook Pro with Leopard. Great tool and the price is right.

Cheers,

jr

Thanks, jr

I've been away for a while & just noticed your response, sorry for the long delay.

Mark
post #147 of 205 Old 07-28-2009, 06:38 PM
Ese
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
To Dr. Pain M.D.:

Thank you very much for taking the time to put this together. It has been helpful to me. So far, I particulary enjoyed reading the 3 part series from Mr. Foote. The tone fit me perfectly. Overall, the readings were detailed and straightforward without being over my head.

I wish there was a similar site for video. Although, my interest is slightly more toward audio so I'm glad that at least there is an audio site like the one you put together.

Thanks again.

Ese'
post #148 of 205 Old 10-10-2009, 09:00 AM

hi got panasonic sc-bt100 can anyone let me know correct setup in my bedroom for sound in particular for balance and bass thanks i was watching fast and furious just did not sound right and if you can tell me what your sound set up on your panasonic sc-bt100 thanks.
post #149 of 205 Old 11-18-2009, 04:01 PM

In a typical 5.1 setup with floor standing speakers for the front, a center channel and two bi pole surrounds how high should the surounds be on the wall/stand etc. compared to the other speakers in the setup. Thanks.
post #150 of 205 Old 11-22-2009, 10:34 PM

Thanks for a great resource here. Unfortunately, it seems I haven't been able to find much on what kind of speakers are best for rear and side surround as I had hoped.

I know they don't tend to be as "good" as the fronts, but does that mean that speakers intended to be fronts wouldn't be as good if used for the rear or sides?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page