Setting Up Your Home Theater 101 - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 203 Old 08-03-2011, 02:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Mucho respect for all the work put in here.

Thank you for your time!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 203 Old 09-23-2011, 12:14 PM
Advanced Member

I need some help. I finally but a Receiver for my Pioneer 111fd and I'm not sure how to hook it up. Right now all my HDMI connection go straight to the TV and I use the TV's side speakers and an external sub. TV goes through a Dish 722VIP DVR. I also have a PS3 and X-Box 360 also connected through HDMI. So when I enter the Onkyo TX-nor709 Receiver into the mix all of the HDMI connection will connect to the receiver instead right? Leaving only one HDMI from the receiver to the TV right? So if that's correct then which HDMI input do I use? 4, 5, 6 or 7? The Sub also now connects to the receiver instead of the tv right? Does this mean the receiver has to stay on 24/7 to watch TV?

Does it mean the TV speaker get disconnected and that basically the only TV input connection I will use is one HDMI input and that's it?
post #183 of 203 Old 09-23-2011, 07:08 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlaavenger View Post

I need some help. I finally but a Receiver for my Pioneer 111fd and I'm not sure how to hook it up. Right now all my HDMI connection go straight to the TV and I use the TV's side speakers and an external sub. TV goes through a Dish 722VIP DVR. I also have a PS3 and X-Box 360 also connected through HDMI. So when I enter the Onkyo TX-nor709 Receiver into the mix all of the HDMI connection will connect to the receiver instead right? Leaving only one HDMI from the receiver to the TV right? So if that's correct then which HDMI input do I use? 4, 5, 6 or 7? The Sub also now connects to the receiver instead of the tv right? Does this mean the receiver has to stay on 24/7 to watch TV?

Does it mean the TV speaker get disconnected and that basically the only TV input connection I will use is one HDMI input and that's it?

You can use the HDMI Pass-through for the DVR, so you can watch and listen on the tv only without turning on the receiver.

post #184 of 203 Old 12-18-2011, 07:01 PM

Hi all, sorry if I am posting this in an incorrect thread however I need help and I'm taking a stab at it. I have a Denon AVR 1312 reciever and I just bought a house that has (2) two outdoor Polk audio speakers on the deck and I have a 5.1 system in the living room. All the speakers work, I have tested them personally. I want to be able to hook up the (2) two outdoor deck speakers (which are run with speaker wire into the living room so i know the previous owner had them hooked up to his surround sound system) to the Denon AVR 1312 and turn them on when I want. Obviously this is possible or the previous owner wouldnt have had the hook up done but HOW??!!

Thank you very much!
post #185 of 203 Old 12-19-2011, 07:46 AM

Looking for some help/advice. I just bought a new 50" HDTV and am looking to hook it up to my Cable, DVD and Receiver. The TV has 4 HDMI ports and my DVD has one HDMI port, but my receiver is a bit older (8 years maybe) and does not have HDMI connections. I want to use HDMI for the ease and "cleaner" signal/connection but also want to use my tower speakers and sub for better audio. Would I be able to connect my TV to my cablebox via HDMI and then use audio components to hook to my receiver. Similarly, I'd like to use HDMI from my TV to DVD. Could I then use optical to connect the DVD to my receiver for sound. I assume by doing so, I would get sound out both my TV and receiver. Would the above scenario work? Does it even make sense?? I'd rather not have to spend the money on a new receiver (need to save after my TV purchase) and would prefer the better/cleaner signal coming from HDMI vs. component. Any advice would be great! Many thanks!!
post #186 of 203 Old 12-20-2011, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marz2max View Post

Hi all, sorry if I am posting this in an incorrect thread however I need help and I'm taking a stab at it. I have a Denon AVR 1312 reciever and I just bought a house that has (2) two outdoor Polk audio speakers on the deck and I have a 5.1 system in the living room. All the speakers work, I have tested them personally. I want to be able to hook up the (2) two outdoor deck speakers (which are run with speaker wire into the living room so i know the previous owner had them hooked up to his surround sound system) to the Denon AVR 1312 and turn them on when I want. Obviously this is possible or the previous owner wouldnt have had the hook up done but HOW??!!

Thank you very much!

Just a guess here, but the prior owner probably had a dual zone receiver (2 amps - also called a 7.1 system), with one zone being the 5.1 system in the living room and the 2nd zone being the Polks, or at least a receiver with A/B speaker outputs. The 1312 has only one amp, does not support dual zone, and does not have A/B speaker outputs.

Your options:

1. You can buy a speaker splitter at Radio Shack and run the front output to the splitter, which you then would continue one set on the your fronts and one set to the Polks. That will allow you to run the fronts and turn the outside on/off when you want. The Polks will only play what the fronts are playing, so if you are watching a game, you may not get full dialogue, etc...

2. Upgrade the receiver to one that has A/B speaker output. May have the same issue as 1. for what you hear.

3. Upgrade the receiver to on that has dual zone (7.1 w/ 2 amps). 7.1 receivers can either be run in a dual zone setup, where the 2nd amp is assigned to another set of speakers outside of the main zone, or assign the amp to power the rear surround speakers in a 7.1 setup. In the Denon line you'll have to jump up to the 1712. This will allow you to watch a movie on the 5.1 system and listen to the radio/iPod/Pandora outside.

4. Buy another receiver to run the Polks. You'll have to deal with hooking up components to multiple receivers though.

Hope this helps.
post #187 of 203 Old 12-21-2011, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zag in AZ View Post

Just a guess here, but the prior owner probably had a dual zone receiver (2 amps - also called a 7.1 system), with one zone being the 5.1 system in the living room and the 2nd zone being the Polks, or at least a receiver with A/B speaker outputs. The 1312 has only one amp, does not support dual zone, and does not have A/B speaker outputs.

Your options:

1. You can buy a speaker splitter at Radio Shack and run the front output to the splitter, which you then would continue one set on the your fronts and one set to the Polks. That will allow you to run the fronts and turn the outside on/off when you want. The Polks will only play what the fronts are playing, so if you are watching a game, you may not get full dialogue, etc...

2. Upgrade the receiver to one that has A/B speaker output. May have the same issue as 1. for what you hear.

3. Upgrade the receiver to on that has dual zone (7.1 w/ 2 amps). 7.1 receivers can either be run in a dual zone setup, where the 2nd amp is assigned to another set of speakers outside of the main zone, or assign the amp to power the rear surround speakers in a 7.1 setup. In the Denon line you'll have to jump up to the 1712. This will allow you to watch a movie on the 5.1 system and listen to the radio/iPod/Pandora outside.

4. Buy another receiver to run the Polks. You'll have to deal with hooking up components to multiple receivers though.

Hope this helps.

Thank you for the detailed response. I really appreciate it. Guess I should have done my homework before I bought something. I'll take your advice.
post #188 of 203 Old 01-23-2012, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Wrong thread
post #189 of 203 Old 04-13-2012, 12:55 PM

I have a few questions regarding setting up a system. I purchased the Jamo S606 HCS3 speakers, which to me is a steal as far as HT speakers. I also got as a present a Klipsch KSW-10 Subwoofer. First, I would like to know everyones opinion if I made the right decision as far as speakers and Subwoofer. Second, when I connected the subwoofer via monster cable. I connected it from LFE lin-in, to the Subwoofer Pre-Out on my Onkyo receiver. However, I am not able to manually increase the bass or 'crossover' as you call it. It seems that the subwoofer or the receiver seemed to automatically set the frequency. I read that it might be due to the LFE connection. Can I bypass that?
post #190 of 203 Old 04-14-2012, 03:48 AM

i'm not a spammer, gotta write 3 posts
post #191 of 203 Old 04-14-2012, 03:49 AM

2 posts
post #192 of 203 Old 04-14-2012, 03:50 AM

1 post
post #193 of 203 Old 04-14-2012, 03:53 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by liefpj View Post

1 post

will you be posting any content?

Please take the high road in every post
Please do not quote or respond to problematic posts: report them to mods to handle
post #194 of 203 Old 04-14-2012, 09:36 AM

i wouldn't have imagined there was so much intricacy in setting it up though, nice post it was def helpful
post #195 of 203 Old 09-03-2012, 03:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
bump o matic

super dirty , super clean , pow
post #196 of 203 Old 09-06-2012, 08:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 45
if your SW has left and right inputs do you need to use a splitter to split the signal for use on both terminals or is just using one ok?

pcm=potato
bitstream=patato
post #197 of 203 Old 09-06-2012, 09:36 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by swarm87 View Post

if your SW has left and right inputs do you need to use a splitter to split the signal for use on both terminals or is just using one ok?

You can go either way.  If you only use one, most likely use the Left.  However, I have read that if you use both(which what I do, with a Y connector) that you will gain a few DB's with Gain.

I do not know if this is true, but I like the look of using both, and I am perfectly happy with the  splitter and the sound.

post #198 of 203 Old 09-08-2012, 11:32 AM

awesome thanks! sticky!
post #199 of 203 Old 09-09-2012, 11:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 42
hoping this is the right place to ask, but I currently have 4 bass traps to use and was wondering if it would be best to place one in each corner or two stacked in the front or rear of the room?
post #200 of 203 Old 09-10-2012, 02:14 AM

Liked: 26
So much info

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

post #201 of 203 Old 01-14-2013, 10:50 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 18
hi, dr painMD was looking at the WOW disc for HT set up. I noticed there was nothing listed for
amateur HT set up guides. I know there are several forums for each individual monitors. but
after viewing the disney WOW disc at amazon I noticed you do not have any Picture quality listing.
I do not know how many discs or even maybe on-line free down-loadable set up assistants there are.

I send many noobees here to get started. just though I would suggest it.

my HT
post #202 of 203 Old 01-14-2013, 11:00 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 18
sorry just noticed there is one under software, the DVE video.
maybe it would be a good place to ad the WOW too, as they
have a set up procedure for speakers.

my HT
post #203 of 203 Old 05-18-2014, 03:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
bump

super dirty , super clean , pow
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat