Which speaker wire is +, which -? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 03-31-2007, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Rossco04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Green Bay
Posts: 393
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm hooking up an aiwa xr-m200u shelf system. The speakers are connected by a plug in cable for high freq and regular speaker wire for the low freq.

My question is which wire goes to the red and which to the black?

one wire has nothing written on it. The other has long gray bars on it, about a quarter inch in length. Generally speaker wire i've had in the past has the positive w/ some kind of + mark on it. I've never seen the negative marked before though. Is this a negative sign or just a marking to signify the positive wire?

Does it even matter?

Thanks

Ross
Rossco04 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 Old 03-31-2007, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Kevin12586's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: NY
Posts: 4,057
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
It is up to you, whichever you insert into the + port on your Aiwa goes into the + port on the speaker. Using the marking on the wire you will be able to tell which one you used for + and -.
Kevin12586 is offline  
post #3 of 15 Old 03-31-2007, 02:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Ratman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Collingswood, N.J.
Posts: 14,317
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 261
It doesn't matter as long as the wires are "matched" on each end. So, use the "marked" wire as + (red) and "unmarked" - (black) on each end.
Ratman is offline  
post #4 of 15 Old 03-31-2007, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member
 
whoaru99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,960
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossco04 View Post

I'm hooking up an aiwa xr-m200u shelf system. The speakers are connected by a plug in cable for high freq and regular speaker wire for the low freq.

My question is which wire goes to the red and which to the black?

one wire has nothing written on it. The other has long gray bars on it, about a quarter inch in length. Generally speaker wire i've had in the past has the positive w/ some kind of + mark on it. I've never seen the negative marked before though. Is this a negative sign or just a marking to signify the positive wire?

Does it even matter?

Thanks

Ross

This is what the manual says -

"Connect the speaker cord with the white stripe to the
SPEAKERS LOW FREQ + terminal and the black cord
to the - terminal."

If all else fails, use a small battery like a AA, C, or D cell and momentarily connect the speaker wires to it. As you make the connection, observe the movement of the woofer cone, when the cone moves out, the wire touching the + terminal of the battery is the positive lead. If the cone moves "in" on the first try, reverse the wire and try it again - that way you can see the difference.

Just because there is a knob doesn't mean you should turn it.
whoaru99 is offline  
post #5 of 15 Old 03-31-2007, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member
 
whoaru99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,960
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:


It doesn't matter as long as the wires are "matched" on each end. So, use the "marked" wire as + (red) and "unmarked" - (black) on each end.

Yeah, but looking at the manual, it seems they are hard wired on the speaker end.

Just because there is a knob doesn't mean you should turn it.
whoaru99 is offline  
post #6 of 15 Old 03-31-2007, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Rossco04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Green Bay
Posts: 393
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for your input guys.

Yeah it is hard wired and I can't see through the backing plate that the wires go through.

I lost my manual and couldn't find one online. Where did you find it?

Thanks again. I appreciate it.
Rossco04 is offline  
post #7 of 15 Old 03-31-2007, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member
 
whoaru99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,960
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossco04 View Post

Thanks for your input guys.

Yeah it is hard wired and I can't see through the backing plate that the wires go through.

I lost my manual and couldn't find one online. Where did you find it?

Thanks again. I appreciate it.

Here is the link. It was on the Aiwa website in the product support area.

Just because there is a knob doesn't mean you should turn it.
whoaru99 is offline  
post #8 of 15 Old 03-31-2007, 03:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
sivadselim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: CO
Posts: 16,073
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Even if they're "hard-wired" on the speaker end, it still doesn't matter what is used as the (+) and (-) as long as it's done identically for both speakers.

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
sivadselim is offline  
post #9 of 15 Old 03-31-2007, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Rossco04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Green Bay
Posts: 393
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim View Post

Even if they're "hard-wired" on the speaker end, it still doesn't matter what is used as the (+) and (-) as long as it's done identically for both speakers.

True, but the problem I have is I can't see inside the speaker cabinet, so I can't tell how they are wired up.
Rossco04 is offline  
post #10 of 15 Old 03-31-2007, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member
 
maxcooper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Silicon Valley, CA
Posts: 1,646
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim View Post

Even if they're "hard-wired" on the speaker end, it still doesn't matter what is used as the (+) and (-) as long as it's done identically for both speakers.

Since one speaker has a plug, and thus offers no control over which is + and -, it probably is somewhat important to plug the low freq speaker(s) in with the correct polarity to match (to avoid cancellation from reversed polarity near the crossover freq).

-Max
maxcooper is offline  
post #11 of 15 Old 03-31-2007, 07:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
sivadselim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: CO
Posts: 16,073
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossco04 View Post

True, but the problem I have is I can't see inside the speaker cabinet, so I can't tell how they are wired up.

It doesn't matter as long as you use the same convention for both speakers. So pick which wire, marked or unmarked, you want to be (+) and which you want to be (-) and connect both speakers to your receiver's (+) and (-) terminals accordingly.

BTW, the FAQ in the link that someone gave you says to use the marked cord for (+) and the unmarked for the (-). But again, it doesn't matter, as long as you connect the speakers identically.

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
sivadselim is offline  
post #12 of 15 Old 03-31-2007, 07:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
sivadselim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: CO
Posts: 16,073
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxcooper View Post

Since one speaker has a plug, and thus offers no control over which is + and -, it probably is somewhat important to plug the low freq speaker(s) in with the correct polarity to match (to avoid cancellation from reversed polarity near the crossover freq).

-Max

Huh?

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
sivadselim is offline  
post #13 of 15 Old 04-01-2007, 01:57 AM
AVS Special Member
 
maxcooper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Silicon Valley, CA
Posts: 1,646
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim View Post

Huh?

From the OP: "I'm hooking up an aiwa xr-m200u shelf system. The speakers are connected by a plug in cable for high freq and regular speaker wire for the low freq."

He has no control over the polarity of the HF speakers, since they have a plug. So he does need to be careful with the polarity for the LF speaker(s), so that he doesn't get cancellation (between the HF speakers and the LF speaker(s)) in the crossover frequency region.

-Max
maxcooper is offline  
post #14 of 15 Old 04-01-2007, 03:28 AM
AVS Special Member
 
whoaru99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,960
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim View Post

Huh?

Perhaps a biamped setup...

Regardless, maxcoopers previous post explains why it does matter in this case.

Besides, who could stand to know their speakers were wired backwards (assuming both speakers, that is)?

Just because there is a knob doesn't mean you should turn it.
whoaru99 is offline  
post #15 of 15 Old 04-01-2007, 08:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
sivadselim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: CO
Posts: 16,073
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 65
OIC Sorry.

What a weird setup.

In that case, follow the directions exactly as they're written on page3 of the manual.

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
sivadselim is offline  
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off