More bass output from DD vs. DTS - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 05-17-2007, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I tried doing a search, however I'm not finding anything regarding this.

Does anyone notice that there is more bass output on DD tracks as opposed to DTS tracks? I notice more clarity in DTS in other sound outputs, but in bass information it seems lacking while DD seems to be bettter.

Am I wrong in thinking this? Is DTS giving out the proper bass information, or is DD?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-17-2007, 01:29 PM
AVS Club Gold

You are right that differences exist but wrong as to the reason. DD and DTS are encoding methods for multi-channel sound. Often they are pulled from different masters and (possibly) remastered. A classic example is Saving Private Ryan... the DTS soundtrack was remastered from the original (which the DD was encoded from). The remaster sounds considerably better so a lot of people assume DTS is better than DD. To further complicate matters each recording can be encoded in a range of bit rates (obviously more bits = more info = better sound). Thus, you are not comparing apples to apples so these kind of comparisons are rarely valid.

To summarize, pick the soundtrack that you prefer based on the sound, not the encoder. This may vary across your disc collection.
post #3 of 5 Old 05-17-2007, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter

Well, the most major example for me is the difference between DD & DTS on the Lord of the RIngs: Fellowship Extended Edition during the Balrog sequence. I'm noticing a LOT more bass on the DD track as opposed to the DTS track. Could it be that my receiver isn't decoding the DTS track correctly? Or do you think the DTS track is more accurate and cleaner?
post #4 of 5 Old 05-18-2007, 09:22 AM
ekb
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krout View Post

Could it be that my receiver isn't decoding the DTS track correctly?

I think that this is essentially impossible. If there was a problem, you'd probably get completely garbled sound.

Ed
post #5 of 5 Old 05-18-2007, 03:40 PM
AVS Club Gold

If you are getting sound (and your receiver is in DTS mode) then it is decoding properly. Many receivers have a light indicating that it recognizes the DTS flags and is decoding the DTS bit stream.

You should check to see if your receiver calibrates each input option separately. You may have the sub output level at a higher setting for DD than DTS. Is the sub working at all on the DTS track?
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page