I think I have a bad room audiowise - please help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 06-08-2007, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a uniquely shaped room for my home theater. It is one big open room, but has two different sections with different ceiling heights. The walls are fairly bare and are painted with a flat black. I have heard several systems before in different environments and I can't seem to get my setup to sound quite right. I'm no audio scientist, so I'm not sure what the problem can be. I know there is a lot of physics bouncing around so who knows!?!?!?!?!

The main problem is that the sound just doesn't seem all that clear with good detail. There seems to be a little haze covering up finer details in music. Bass is OK, but not nearly like it was in my old apartment with the same setup.

I think the problem may be echo or reverb. If I stand in the room, and just shout, I can distinctly hear some echo...slight, but noticeable. I think the vaulted ceilings may be the culprit but not sure. Who knows whats going on with the waves in my room....I sure don't!

Here is a simple layout of my room with dimensions. Up in the left hand corner of all images is a little button that says "Full Size" click to enlarge.

Room Layout

Now here is a picture from the screen looking straight. You are looking into the back part of the room with the 8' ceilings.

From screen looking straight

This next pic is from the same origin, but looking up a little bit. You can see the 11' vaulted ceiling.

From screen looking up

Finally, this is from the sweet spot looking at the screen. Once again, the 11' ceiling...

From PJ looking at screen

----------------
What I am looking for is someone to confirm, and say YEAH, your suspicions are correct, this room could be trouble....

OR

Hmmm, that room seems ideal, maybe you should look at other things like your equipment!

Thanks and if you have any suggestions to improve my room characteristics, lemme know! I was thinking of making a false ceiling in the vaulted area using black felt from wall to wall...so in effect I would have an 8' ceiling made of black felt in the entire room. Would this help ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-08-2007, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Okay, if you want some basic acoustics help, here it is:

1. Find the first reflections of your three main speakers. How do I do that? Check the link in my signature, that's how. If not, use a mirror on the wall and wherever you can see the reflectio of your speaker from your listening position is where a first reflection is. Find the first reflection on the walls, ceiling, and floor.

2. Where does the sub go, you can either start measuring and map out different locations with Room EQ Wizard or SPL meter. Or you can crawl for bass: http://www.audioholics.com/tweaks/ge...er-calibration

3. This should be number 1 it is so important! Calibrate your system and level-match it with a $40 SPL meter. Theres like a million threads on how to do this.
post #3 of 6 Old 06-08-2007, 11:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I'd suggest getting some good bass traps and putting them in the corners of the room. The flat wall area where the two ceiling heights split might also be a candidate for wall covering. Finally, the back wall could be covered, if you can live with the decor :-)

The right acoustical treatment depends mostly on your budget -- you can get a few $10 rigid fiberglass boards at a well-supplied building materials store (this does not include OSH or Home Depot), or you can get some number of $1200 tailored mocha leather covered traps, and a large range in between.

I usually point people at this thread for more information.
post #4 of 6 Old 06-08-2007, 11:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Confront the midrange and high frequency issues (illustrated with you hearing voice echoes, clapping your hands together) in the room.

Bass traps and absorption will address bass/subwoofer "boominess" if you playback low frequency test tone sweeps, for example.

Diffusion instead of absorption at first order reflections could be small CD/DVD shelves/bookshelves, leafy houseplants, knicknack shelves - natural decor items instead of living in a recording studio.

Many ways to address room acoustics - try cheap/free ideas before plunking down $$$ on complicated DIY or commercial stuff.

- Steve O.
post #5 of 6 Old 03-28-2008, 04:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Danny,

Check your email.

Bryan

I am serious...and don't call me Shirley.
Bryan Pape - Lead Acoustician
GIK Acoustics

post #6 of 6 Old 03-28-2008, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkolacz View Post

What I am looking for is someone to confirm, and say YEAH, your suspicions are correct, this room could be trouble....

YEAH, your suspicions are correct, this room could be trouble....

Quote:

Hmmm, that room seems ideal, maybe you should look at other things like your equipment!

It's never the equipment. Never. Unless we're talking about a $180 HTIB.

Quote:

if you have any suggestions to improve my room characteristics, lemme know!

Start here:

Acoustics FAQ

Or this shorter version:

Acoustics Facts & Fiction

--Ethan

RealTraps - The acoustic treatment experts
Ethan's Audio Expert book

Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page