Whole House Audio Volume Control - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 06-11-2007, 10:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm currently having a house built, and I am having it wired for audio distribution. I plan on having a squeezebox3 in each room connected to a niles SI-1230 amp. I haven't completely decided on speakers yet, but I'm leaning towards the Polk RC80i in-wall speakers.

Anyhow, here is what I'm trying to figure out, I need a way to control the volume of the speakers. I see two ways to do this. 1, let the squeezebox control the volume. From what I've read though, this actually degrades the quality of the audio, as the squeezebox is dropping a specific bit of the audio.

Second, I can have in-wall volume controls installed. Now, I want ones that, instead of having a knob that I have to stand up and adjust, can be controlled by IR. And I don't mean just send an IR signal somewhere else, but will actually decrease the volume locally. The reason I want this feature is that the squeezebox can actually be used as an IR blaster, which means I could use the squeeze box remote to control the volume.

I guess what I'm getting at, is that I'm having an issue finding something like that. Most volume controllers that I find with IR, merely transmit IR, and aren't actually controlled by it. I think I might have found one though, but the documentation isn't completely clear on it. So has anyone used the Niles EVC-100? It looks like it does exactly what I want, but I want to verify it before I buy a couple of them.

If someone could chime in, or if you have some other suggestions, I'm all ears.

Thanks,

Clay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 06-12-2007, 03:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Not sure how much you want to spend, but I think THIS is a neat solution...

Mark

Mark Techer

I love my Constant Image Height system!
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page