Help with Center Speaker/Receiver Placement - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 07-13-2007, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am in the process of hooking up my HT system, but came to find out that neither my receiver (Yamaha RX-V661) nor my center channel speaker (JBL Balboa 10) will fit (too tall) onto my entertainment center shelves. I have an Omnimount stand on top of my TV (JVC 61FH97) that I had originally intended for the center channel speaker, but also accommodates the weight of the receiver. In my living room, above the TV, there is a design feature that creates a shelf about 8' up (about 4' higher and 9" back from TV screen).

I am currently considering the following options:

1) Receiver on the Omnimount stand; center channel speaker on the shelf.

2) Receiver on a cheap plastic table off to the side of the TV; center channel speaker stays on Omnimount.

I would prefer not to buy a stand-alone center speaker stand for placement and cost reasons, especially if I can improv with the resources at hand.

If anyone sees pros/cons to those options, or has another possibility, I would appreciate the feedback.

Thanks in advance for any and all help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-13-2007, 01:04 PM

Pictures would be helpful
post #3 of 5 Old 07-13-2007, 02:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Certainly, as indicated by your concerns, you DO realize that placement of the center channel speaker closer to your TV as well as closer to the plane of your mains is most desirable. However, speaker (and component) placement in typical HT environments is often all about compromise. You've gotta do what you've gotta do. If you must place the center speaker that high, then you should at least aim it down toward the listening spot.

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
post #4 of 5 Old 07-13-2007, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter

I have attached a pic in the hopes it can help illustrate what I was describing. It has the center on the omnimount and the receiver on the table.

My intent/hope is to align the center and front speakers with the TV screen as I know that can throw off the audio synch. I am wondering how much of an impact the 9-or-so inch difference will make from on high. I did get some doorstops to use for tilting the center down towards the listening position.

Thanks again!
LL
post #5 of 5 Old 07-13-2007, 04:01 PM

It looks like you have done as good as you can with your furniture. I think you were smart to put the center where you did. If you put it below and in front of the tv, I might be concerned that it would begin to sound "detached" from the picture. Is there any way to maybe remove the higher glass shelf and just keep both the receiver and cable box on the lower shelf?
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page