Yamaha HTR-5930 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 07-16-2007, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
A few months ago I purchased a sound system. It came with a Yamaha HTR-5930, 5 speakers and a subwoofer. All in all I am happy with the system. It sounds great and works very well overall. However I'm having some issues with getting the proper sound out of it.

Here is my setup:

- Philips 30" widescreen flat tube HDTV
- Yamaha HTR-5930 A/V Receiver
- Digital cable box
- Pioneer TiVo/DVD player/recorder (currently not in use)
- Sony PlayStation 3

Up until the other day, DVD's were being played through my Pioneer DVD player. I switched that over to the PlayStation 3. I have an optical audio cable going from the PlayStation 3 to the A/V receiver. The TV is currently just using analog sound (because I've been too lazy to go out and buy a second optical audio cable), so when I refer to sound quality that is less than what it should be, I'm referring to the DVD's being played, not the cable TV.

There are various settings on the A/V receiver which you can use. I've read through the user's manual and it seems as if these sound "programs" as they're called (which sound like pre-set audio configurations based on different applications, ie gaming, movies, etc.), are not sufficient. There is a "Standard" setting which, according to the manual, seems to be a default mode that will allow the audio settings be determined by either the DVD or whatever.

My problem is I cannot seem to determine what the best setting is, or how to apply it. When watching movies, or even TV, it seems as though the background noises (music, effects, etc.) are clear and loud however the voices are very soft and quiet. Other times it does not seem that I am getting maximum 5.1 surround sound from the speakers. The speakers are configured in an actual 5.1 setup (center speaker above the TV, front left and right speakers on their respective sides of the TV, and the rear left and right speakers in their respective places behind the couch). Often times the rear speakers will be very quiet even in dramatic scenes (explosions and what not) yet they are still working (you can still hear the correct noise, it's just not loud).

I read through the stickied post and it didn't quite answer my question though I did learn a lot about speaker placement.

Any suggestions of how I can make this better? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-17-2007, 11:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Have you calibrated your system properly? This is very important, even if you simply do it "by ear".

Most people do not like to use the sound "programs", as you describe them, but instead prefer to let the recveiver decode their DVDs as either Dolby Digital 5.1 or DTS 5.1.

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
post #3 of 4 Old 07-17-2007, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is there a specific way to calibrate the system? I moved the speakers so they were in the proper places and adjusted the output of the surround speakers just slightly. I do have the receiver set to auto decide so it can choose the best sound.
post #4 of 4 Old 07-17-2007, 12:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argon4k View Post

I do have the receiver set to auto decide so it can choose the best sound.

And did you actually run the receiver's Auto setup program? Where did you place the microphone? Run properly, this program should produce a series of tones from each of your speakers and adjust the output accordingly.

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page