More specific wiring and HT set up questions.. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 07-17-2007, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently purchased an Enthusiest 3 system from HSU, and I need wiring recommendations.
I plan on wiring in the wall and through the attic...For the rear two HB-1's, I will need ~40-45 feet of wire. Is there a specific guage and type of wire I should use for this distance?
When placing these HB-1's on stands/furniture, is there anything to be concerned about?
Also with the Sub, what specific wire do I need? I found "Sub Wire" at CC, but it was only 24 ft long. What if I want to place the sub farther away? What things do I have to consider?
Also with the sub, it came with a plug in one of the ports. Can you explain the purpose and use of this plug please.
Will I need any other cables besides speaker and sub wires that I will need?
Thanks for your help.
Christopher
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-18-2007, 06:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone? Beuller?....
post #3 of 4 Old 07-18-2007, 11:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by legmaker72 View Post

I plan on wiring in the wall and through the attic...For the rear two HB-1's, I will need ~40-45 feet of wire. Is there a specific guage and type of wire I should use for this distance?

You should use in-wall rated CL2 or CL3 wire for an in-wall installation. This wire is governmentally regulated regarding its flammability as well as it's toxic smoke producing cpability when it IS burning. It may not matter to you, but if you're running wire in-wall you might as well be "up-to-code" (and safe, as well). If you decide to sell your home, an inspector may check this. For that distance you could probably run two runs of 14/2 wire (has 2 strands of 14ga wire) and be OK, but if you wanted to be certain, you could use 12/2 (has 2 strands of 12ga wire). I use some 16/4 (4 strands of 16ga) in-wall with 2 of the 4 the strands (x2) twisted together at the ends to make the apparent gauge 13 -14ga. You can also use the in-wall wire to connect your front/center speakers if you are going to buy it in-bulk, although you may not like the way it looks.

Quote:

When placing these HB-1's on stands/furniture, is there anything to be concerned about?

There's really nothing to worry about. A good idea would be to stick something like small rubber or silicone furniture "bumpers" at the four corners of each speakers to insulate them from the furniture or stands. This will protect your furniture as well as prevent any unwanted vibrations between the speaker and the furniture/stands. These "bumpers" will also help hold the speakers in place. HSU may actually provide some sort of "bumper".

For the stands you may want to use a product called "Blu-tack", which is a reusable adhesive which will help adhere the speakers to the stands. It shouldn't damage the speakers.

Quote:

Also with the Sub, what specific wire do I need? I found "Sub Wire" at CC, but it was only 24 ft long. What if I want to place the sub farther away? What things do I have to consider?

All you need is a standard, single coaxial RCA cable. It would probably be a good idea to use one that's 75 Ohm. This cable is often labelled "digital coax" cable. You need to get it at least as long as furthest distance you may need to run it. IF you end up not using the full length, you can coil up the excess. There are several places to get coaxial cable, cheaply. HERE is a link to some "digital coax" cable that is popular around here. If you need more than 50ft., you can use a male-to-male adapter to connect any two cables.

Quote:

Also with the sub, it came with a plug in one of the ports. Can you explain the purpose and use of this plug please.

This helps you adjusts the "tuning" of the subwoofer. The sub can be "tuned" to go lower at the expense of some output. Read the manual when your equipment arrives.

Quote:

Will I need any other cables besides speaker and sub wires that I will need?

Nope. That should do the trick.

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
post #4 of 4 Old 07-18-2007, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

Thanks for your help.
Christopher

Speaker placement is best finalized by experimentation and a meter. Dolby recommends various height placements and distances from the wall as found in their "preferred and alternative speaker placement" guide. The room is a big factor on how the speakers will sound and what distance from the walls and furniture they will be placed.

A veteran is someone who, wrote a blank check Made Payable to 'The USA, ' for an amount of 'up to and including their life.'
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page