post #31 of 57 Old 07-15-2009, 02:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked: 1161
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamZX11 View Post

Nice connectors, seems totally unnecessary though.

What is unecessary about Speakons? ;-)

We had what looked like 3 very reasonable well-articulated needs:

(1) Something that won't have the wire pull from the plug easily

(2) Won't easily pull out from the posts

(3) there is no exposed metal carrying current

(note that Speakons do this, whether mated or not.)

Most of us would also like:

(4) Impossible to mate with the wrong polarity

And a few might like:

(5) Can connect up to 4 pairs of speakers with one plug.

Quote:
Then there is the matter of modifying all my expensive speakers to accept them. Probably kill the re-sale value.

Many of the speakers and power amps that I buy come with them.

If your speakers or amps don't come that way, you could make a short adaptor with a Speakon on one end, and locking bannas on the other.

Furthermore, the it is not unusual for speakers that come with Speakons to have two connectors in parallel, which meets the following need:

(6) Has a stacking (or daisy-chaining) option.

and of course:

(7) Works well with heavier speaker wire.

OK, so don't mind me! (I'm trying to pick up another lost cause to go with ABX, which is steadily loosing its fun factor because it is becoming so mainstream. ;-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 57 Old 07-15-2009, 02:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamZX11 View Post

Nice connectors, seems totally unnecessary though. Then there is the matter of modifying all my expensive speakers to accept them. Probably kill the re-sale value.

I think I'm gonna have to agree...

There is really no problems with banana plugs as a connector, even the non locking type.

Speakons really do seem completely unnecessary, unless:
A. You have some disposable income
B. Your speakers come with those connectors.
C. Your really rough on you're speaker connections, and need something more secure.

Usually i just connect up my speakers and leave them, and a non-locking banana has always served this purpose just fine and is almost universally compatible, and is very cheap.
post #33 of 57 Old 07-15-2009, 02:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandontw View Post

I think I'm gonna have to agree...

There is really no problems with banana plugs as a connector, even the non locking type.

Note the slight tone of indecision - "even tne non-locking type".

Let's face it. A connector that locks and unlocks as easily as a Speakon, has more than a little romance. If you try to pull Speakons apart, it is likely as not that the cable will break first, and probably not at the plug. Speakons have built instrain relief that banana plugs can only dream about.

The fact that Speakons have no explosed conductors, whether mated or not, is also significant.

The fact that Speakons won't go together backwards is also very significant.

Quote:
Speakons really do seem completely unnecessary, unless:
A. You have some disposable income

?????????

Is there a rumor that Speakons are hard to find, or costly?

It is very easy to spend far more on Bananna plugs than for a Speakon for the same number of connectors.

Also, there is a wide variety of pre-made cables with Speakons on one end or both. There is also a standard cord-mounted Speakon for making "extension cords" which has no equal in the world of bananna plugs.
post #34 of 57 Old 07-15-2009, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

Amateurs use banana plugs, pros use Speakons. Seriously. I've been using them professionally for years. One day it struck me. Why aren't I using these at home?

So, not being a pro and in the know, I clicked on your link to see what a Speakon was. Is this the kind of plug you would use to hook a guitar up to an amp?

My questions for you:
1) Do you use these to hook the speaker wires to the terminals on your AVR?
2) How?

VSP

Thoughts are thinking; Thunk from knowing
nwod gniog em peek reverof sthguohT
post #35 of 57 Old 07-15-2009, 05:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VulcanSoulPatch View Post

So, not being a pro and in the know, I clicked on your link to see what a Speakon was.

Great! You are obviously a person with great intellectual curiosity! ;-)

Quote:

Is this the kind of plug you would use to hook a guitar up to an amp?

Not at all. The connector you are thinking of is known as a 1/4" phone plug, or a T/S plug. It is a connector that is "old school" live sound. Speakon is definately *not* old school. The Speakon addresses a number of the problems of the 1/4 plus as a speaker connector.

Quote:

My questions for you:
1) Do you use these to hook the speaker wires to the terminals on your AVR?

No, I use Speakons for my just in-wall wiring at home. I use a jumper cable with Banannas on one end, and Speakons on the other at each end.

The Speakons are a great alternative for house wiring. For one thing, they are about flush with the wall until you plug a cable in. They expose no power wiring in any case, so there are no safety issues.

In pro use, many of the amps and speakers come with Speakons.
post #36 of 57 Old 07-15-2009, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
These are manufactured by Neutrik and are considered the professional sound industry TOTL connector. If you look at the line arrays hanging in concert venues, they use Speakons almost exclusively. They cannot be incorrectly connected, there are no exposed live parts, they positively lock into the receptacle and one connector can handle high current bi-amping. They may be a bit overkill for a home system as they are designed primarily for temporary portable systems.

For lab grade banana connectors with insulated sleeves for the wires, or stackable etc, check out Pomona Inc. They manufacture hundreds of test equipment cables and parts. they have a huge section of banana plugs and jacks- both single and dual.
post #37 of 57 Old 07-17-2009, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

The fact that Speakons have no explosed conductors, whether mated or not, is also significant.

........for an idiot too stupid to turn off/unplug his electronics before connecting and disconnecting speakers.
post #38 of 57 Old 07-17-2009, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easyaspie View Post

........for an idiot too stupid to turn off/unplug his electronics before connecting and disconnecting speakers.

That and the fact $0.02 of shrink tube will make any banana plug externally non conductive.
post #39 of 57 Old 07-17-2009, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Mike View Post

That and the fact $0.02 of shrink tube will make any banana plug externally non conductive.

Or just choose plugs that have no exposed metal in the first place, like the ones I linked above.

But I believe he was referring to the fact that speakons aren't conductive even when unplugged. Although I don't see the necessity, I know of no bananas that can claim that.
post #40 of 57 Old 07-18-2009, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmologist View Post

These are manufactured by Neutrik and are considered the professional sound industry TOTL connector. If you look at the line arrays hanging in concert venues, they use Speakons almost exclusively. They cannot be incorrectly connected, there are no exposed live parts, they positively lock into the receptacle and one connector can handle high current bi-amping. They may be a bit overkill for a home system as they are designed primarily for temporary portable systems.

For lab grade banana connectors with insulated sleeves for the wires, or stackable etc, check out Pomona Inc. They manufacture hundreds of test equipment cables and parts. they have a huge section of banana plugs and jacks- both single and dual.

+1

The Speakons are designed for the professional music/concert use.
Stage hands often only a few mins to move and re-setup equipment
in between acts. Speakons are designed to avoid costly connection mistakes
that could halt a concert.

The Pomona bananas are good and I use them.

WBT makes the 0645 banana. Insulated and stackable and overpriced.
I buy these whenever I can get them for a few dollars.
post #41 of 57 Old 07-21-2009, 10:50 AM

This seems like quite a debate just for speaker connections... in reality we could go without connectors, and use the bare wire with the speaker posts and we would not notice any difference in sound quality at all.

So what it really comes down to is just a few fairly insignificant criteria:

1. The "bling factor" - its nice to have a legit connector so you know your system is setup right, and so it looks good if anyone goes snooping (who does?)

2. Convenience - If you do a lot of speaker swapping or unplugging and reconnecting just for fun, then you'll want a connector to satiate your odd desires.

3. Audiophile monster attacks - Apparently there are some of you that are severely concerned with the security of the connector. I cant think of any reason that the connection to a speaker, or to the back of a stereo should be stressed or threatened ever. You guys must have some little speaker gremlins or something that go tugging on your speakers daily, and you want something that wont let them take it, but at the same time you don't want them breaking your cables... so you need a secure, but not completely secure speaker connection solution?

I'll stick with non-locking bananas, as i have no fear of monster attacks, nor do i desire to randomly disconnect and reconnect my speakers just for fun.
post #42 of 57 Old 07-21-2009, 11:43 AM

Quote:

The "bling factor" - its nice to have a legit connector so you know your system is setup right, and so it looks good if anyone goes snooping (who does?)

You hit the nail right on the head... since I installed the Mono plugs, I pull my entertainment center away from the wall for all my visitors... who cares about the sound... look at my suh-weet connectors!

Seriously, though, I would have to add one significant criterion for me, which was the whole reason I bought bananas in the first place... speaker terminal spacing on the AVR. Onkyo put the terminals so darn close on the 607 that I thought it was going to be a major chore trying to get everything screwed down easily. (Pardon me if the spacing is common throughout the industry, this is my first new AVR in 15 years, and my last one used the "locking lever" connection.) Once I saw the Mono plugs, I realized that they were the solution I was thinking of (I had not even started looking). And they were inexpensive to boot. Just remember to wait for the once a month sale.

Quote:

Audiophile monster attacks [...] You guys must have some little speaker gremlins or something that go tugging on your speakers daily, and you want something that wont let them take it, but at the same time you don't want them breaking your cables...

ROFL! HT Gremlins... be on the lookout! They also switch the inputs on your AVR, erase events off your DVR, swap your BDs for HD-DVDs, and ultimately hide your universal remote!

post #43 of 57 Old 07-21-2009, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VulcanSoulPatch View Post

ROFL! HT Gremlins... be on the lookout! They also switch the inputs on your AVR, erase events off your DVR, swap your BDs for HD-DVDs, and ultimately hide your universal remote!

Those bastards! Not the universal remote!
post #44 of 57 Old 07-31-2009, 02:41 PM

Liked: 11
With my current setup it's just bare wire poked into the receiver and tightened down...it works, but it is a pain and whenever the receiver gets moved it pulls on it and eventually I have to pull them out, twist the wire and put them back in.

So now I have new speakers, new wire and a new receiver (Denon 1610 and Polk RM85).

The speakers are the spring clips, the receiver are the twist knobs (I'm sure they have a term but I'm ignorant of most of this and just learning from all of you)

From reading here I should just put bare wire, after twisting them, into the speaker and put a banana plug on the other end to go into the terminal at the receiver...right?

Obviously from my equipment this isn't a big giant system, but I want to do it right.
post #45 of 57 Old 07-31-2009, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuck View Post

From reading here I should just put bare wire, after twisting them, into the speaker and put a banana plug on the other end to go into the terminal at the receiver...right?

Obviously from my equipment this isn't a big giant system, but I want to do it right.

Doing it right would be whatever feels right to you, as there is no "right" answer to speaker connection. Attaching bare wire to speaker terminals on the AVR and posts on the speakers is perfectly fine, since that is why they have the split in the post.

What you are describing is actually how I have mine set up at this time, mainly because I was in a rush to hook up my 607 and prioritized banana-ing the terminal side due to the tight quarters. Additionally, I am using the same speakers and speaker wire that I had with my old AVR, so I didn't need to redo the connections to get everything to work. It is my plan, however, to banana the speaker side, too, just for completeness (and because I bought enough). Furthermore, as brandontw pointed out, it looks cool!

post #46 of 57 Old 07-31-2009, 07:38 PM

Thanks...wish I would have known about this before. My receiver should arrive on Monday, don't want to have to wait for the connectors. I'll try to see what they have locally tomorrow. If online which of these do you recommend?

With the spring clips on the RM85s can I (or should I) use the banana plugs for that? I was just going to get some pin connectors for the speakers.

http://cgi.ebay.com/14-PCS-100-Nakam...d=p3286.c0.m14

http://www.speakerrepair.com/mm5/mer...Category_Code=

http://www.speakerrepair.com/mm5/mer...Category_Code=

Thanks!
post #47 of 57 Old 08-01-2009, 12:17 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 27
Quote:

I just picked up 40 of these... they arent fancy, but seem very functional, and at well under $1.00 a pair, they are pretty hard to pass up if you're on a budget.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=120447566655

I just picked these up as well. They suck big time. Yeah sure they are cheap, but to me they are worthless. These are the first banana plugs i've used so i have no basis for comparison. But with these versus bare wire, i choose bare wire.

I'm using 12 gauge monoprice speaker wire and the one screw does not hold it on that tight.

One of the tips easily popped off and was stuck in my avr. I had to use tweezers to get it out. Maybe i'll pick up a different banana plug or maybe i'll just stick with bare wire.
post #48 of 57 Old 08-01-2009, 02:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Mike View Post

Obviously, you haven't actually bought any shrink tubing lately. $0.02 worth of shrink tubing is only a small fraction of an inch long. ;-)

Besides, why waste time trying to jerry-rig something, when you can buy something that just does the job right out of the package?
post #49 of 57 Old 07-17-2013, 07:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgeneral View Post

Can anyone recommend the best banana plugs for me?.

The real question is "What are the best speaker connectors?"

The answer is Speakon connectors - so good that people have been known to disassemble speakers and amplifiers to install them.

They are found on pro speakers and power amps.
post #50 of 57 Old 07-17-2013, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
You can also use what the pros use in the testing labs around the world, regardless of what they are testing. Pomona. Available from Mouser, Allied, Digikey etc. numerous configurations and platings.
post #51 of 57 Old 07-28-2013, 10:08 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

The real question is "What are the best speaker connectors?"

The answer is Speakon connectors - so good that people have been known to disassemble speakers and amplifiers to install them.

They are found on pro speakers and power amps.
Well, at least arny is consistent with his bad advice, repeating a post from 4 years ago in the same thread.
post #52 of 57 Old 07-28-2013, 10:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmologist View Post

You can also use what the pros use in the testing labs around the world, regardless of what they are testing. Pomona. Available from Mouser, Allied, Digikey etc. numerous configurations and platings.

Pros use Bananas (and the Pomona is arguably the standard and not overly expensive by modern standards) in the lab.

Live sound and home sound are different games than the lab. At home and on stage you worry about having a locking connector (the standard Pomona isn't) and one that insulates any hot conductors (I've never seen a bananna plug that is fail-safe).

Truth be known I've had some nasty accidents with Pomona banana plugs on the test bench that wouldn't have happened with Speakons.

The test jigs I've built for myself (4 killowatt 2/4/8 resistive load and loudspeaker simulator reactive load) have Speakons all over the place. And of course so does my listening room. The worst thing about Speakons is that not everything comes with them. But a lot of pro amps and speakers do, and a number of my consumer speakers and amps have been modified to include them.
post #53 of 57 Old 07-28-2013, 10:45 AM

Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riffmeister View Post

Well, at least arny is consistent with his bad advice, repeating a post from 4 years ago in the same thread.
What's bad about it? I would like to learn.
post #54 of 57 Old 07-28-2013, 01:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrek View Post

I love the locking bananas from blue jean cables. Jim

I agree - and if you want to use Canare 4S11 "star quad" 14-gauge cable and want locking bananas, you can get them WELDED together at BlueJeans Cable for a very good price - I really like mine:

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/speaker/index.htm

The ultrasonic welding makes the wire and bananas one piece so the only connections are the locking bananas at the amp and the speaker. The welding is FAR better than those little set screws on GLS or Nakamichi locking bananas. And locking bananas don't come loose like spades or binding posts tightened on tinned wire. As mentioned, some added heat shrink can insulate them.

2-Ch (HT L/R): Oppo BDP-105 BD, Adcom GFP-750 pre, Bryston 10B Sub Xover, Bryston 4BSST2, Paradigm Signature S4 v.2, (2) SVS SB12-NSD subs, AQ & Cardas XLR
Home Theater: Bryston 4BSST2 amp / Paradigm CC-590 (C), Outlaw 7700 amp / (4) Def Tech UIW-RSSII (LS/RS/LB/RB), Samsung 46” 3D LCD
post #55 of 57 Old 12-09-2013, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VulcanSoulPatch View Post

Seriously, though, I would have to add one significant criterion for me, which was the whole reason I bought bananas in the first place... speaker terminal spacing on the AVR. Onkyo put the terminals so darn close on the 607 that I thought it was going to be a major chore trying to get everything screwed down easily.

I also have the Onkyo 607 and can say that they are difficult to lock down because of how close the terminals are. I had a speaker wire pull out just lately because I didn't get it tight enough, at first I started freaking out thinking the receiver was broke.

Sound FAQ

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #56 of 57 Old 08-19-2014, 02:03 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Best Banana Plug

Best I have found is the Blue Jean Cable Locking Banana Plug. Super tight fit and excellent design. I have tried many plugs but these are hands down the best I have found. Also, the spacing between plugs (even in closely laid out banana inputs) is superb. Would not use anything else.
post #57 of 57 Old 08-19-2014, 06:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbr1040 View Post
Best I have found is the Blue Jean Cable Locking Banana Plug. Super tight fit and excellent design. I have tried many plugs but these are hands down the best I have found. Also, the spacing between plugs (even in closely laid out banana inputs) is superb. Would not use anything else.

Not a bad connector at not a bad price.

Seems to be available for about half the price from Sewell Direct and GLS.
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page