Is it possible to calibrate audio from a cable box? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 09-08-2007, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I know with DVE discs and such you can do a source calibration from a DVD/HD player, but is it possible to do a source calibration from a cable box? I'm more concerned with getting the speaker levels even at the moment, and I'm not sure just using my receiver's test tones is the right way to do this. I tried doing it this way, calibrating all speakers at 75 dB, but the audio from my STB is lower than the audio from my HD DVD player, which I calibrated equally with an HD DVE disc. I have a Scientific Atlanta 8300HD hooked up to my Yammy receiver via optical cable. I have seen HDNet (I believe) put up test patterns for picture calibration, but I've never seen anything for audio calibration. Is there any way to do this?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 09-08-2007, 09:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
INHD has a setup similar to HDNet that has audio tones.

However, this is an exercise in futility. There are far too many places for audio levels to lose cal in the broadcast chain, starting with the networks themselves. Each one cals differently and sends the audio through a different chain, often compressing, sometimes compressing and expanding. Using digital inputs, if the left/center/right balance is correct using your receiver's tones, it should be right with the cable box as well.

If you are interested in proper volume calibration across different sources, the best you'll probably get from broadcast is by using digital inputs from both your DVD and cable box. Calibrate the audio using Avia then know that you are calibrated properly and any error in volume through the cable box is caused by the broadcaster and is beyond your control.
post #3 of 3 Old 09-09-2007, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Ah, OK. Thanks for the help. I guess just going by my receiver's test tones will be good enough.

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page