How to Prevent Ventilation and Overheating Problems - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 09-15-2007, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have an enclosed cabinet about 4 feet high with the following units from bottom to top:
Sony Juke box for cds and dvds
Denon AVR-687 Receiver 75 watts per channel)
Sony STR GX5es (an old receiver 75 watts per channel) now used to drive 2 sets of remote speakers
DVR from DirecTV

All this was set up by a professional installer ... but it has not worked and I'm not getting any help from them and have turned to AVS forums for help.

The Sony receiver kept tripping off and the red light would flash. I came to realize (after reading the AVS forums) the problem was overheating. The DVR was resting without any significant space on the vents on the top of the Sony.
I have placed plastic tubes as spacers about 1.5 inches high. It is a temporary solution which seems to work.
I also keep the cabinet doors open; they are solid wood and the inside of the cabinet is very warm.
It works.

Now, how should this be set up? What should my permanent solution be? I want to create space and ventilation between each of the units and I may need to ventilate the cabinet.
I like having everything in one stack; I have it all on a lazy susan and can pivot the entire stack around to work on wiring. But I need to create space between the units.
As for ventilating the cabinets: Do I need a fan to pull air out of the cabinet?
perhaps holes on the top of the cabinet to let the heat escape passively?

I am open to suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 09-16-2007, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Fans are good. There are some commercial cabinet and rack cooling units on the market or you can rig some thing up with some double ball bearing 120 mm computer fans and a wall rat ac/dc power brick'
If the fans are too noise you can wire two in series--each will turn at half speed and move less air but do it quietly. You could buy a variable dc power cube like one of these.
with selectable output voltage -- a 12 V fan runs is less noisy at 9 v.

If you use computer fans you can buy grills and foam filters to trap some of the dust.

However you need a source of cool air (near the bottom) and a place to exhaust warm air (near the top). Generally an exhaust fan is all you need, but if you have a problem with one item in the stack you can position a second fan to improve the air ciculation.

To keep down the amount of dust force the air through a bit of a labyrinth, by making it flow around something such as a confined space under a fixed shelf on its way to the equipment. A couple of right angles in the flow will cause much of the dust to drop.

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd.
-Bertrand Russell
Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page