Number of strands in speaker wire - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 27 Old 10-13-2007, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am about to stare installing 14 gauge speaker wire my room addition before installing the insulation and drywall. While looking for a good price, I am starting to see that many of the sellers are stating that their wire is superior because it has a higher number of strands than the standard 26 (don't ask me, they are claiming it). I've seen 41 strands and even 105 strands (all 14 gauge) and I can understand the theory that more strands would carry the load easier, but does anybody know if this really makes much of a difference? Is there a minimum strand count that I should stick to? I've read some other posts on what makes good speaker wire and most are of the opinion that if it is good copper then you will be OK, but I don't see anything on strand count.

Also, monoprice (where I do most of my shopping) seems to be out of speaker wire at this time. Anybody got any other suggestions about where to get good cable at a good price?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 10-13-2007, 02:50 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:

and I can understand the theory that more strands would carry the load easier,

I don't know how you can understand that, I certainly cannot. It doesn't matter except as to the flexibility of the wire. The gauge of the wire, and hence its electrical characteristics remain the same.
post #3 of 27 Old 10-13-2007, 03:03 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Chris is right. More (but smaller) strands makes stranded wire more flexible, assuming the insulation is also made for flexibility. This is a wonderful "feature" of more (but smaller) strands if you need it. Since speaker wire is rarely moved once installed, it's not real important.

I use some 10GA high strand count wire for high-current 12V power, and it's a joy to use, but I wouldn't pay more for this in speaker wire.

In-wall on a new house, I'd be tempted to use Romex for speaker wire, but that probably violates code.
post #4 of 27 Old 10-13-2007, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 18
More strands = more flexible, and much easier to pull through walls.

I used this last year for an addition, and it pulled through the walls easier than any other wire I have used before. Very nice jacket, and it's cheap:

http://www.accessories4less.com/cgi-...em/SQSCL1425WH
post #5 of 27 Old 10-13-2007, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter

OK, Thanks all for the info. The ads that I read stated that more strands make it more flexible and also carry the load easier because the signal is carried on the outside of the strand so more strands equals more surface. I thought that this was probably hogwash but decided to verify. I need a lot and found a 500' roll of 14\\2 CL3 Speaker Wire for $135 including shipping (can't even buy 500' of romex for that cheap ). Guess I'll place my order.

Thanks once again for the assistance!!!

Tom
post #6 of 27 Old 10-13-2007, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWiggles View Post

I don't know how you can understand that, I certainly cannot. It doesn't matter except as to the flexibility of the wire. The gauge of the wire, and hence its electrical characteristics remain the same.

The idea is certain frequencies travel along the surface of the conductor. The more conductors, the more surface area for which the signal to travel. I believe it called the skin effect and it's validity is one of the classic audio arguments.

I go by the wallet effect and buy the best wire I can afford.

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
post #7 of 27 Old 10-13-2007, 08:01 PM
EC
AVS Special Member

When I got into high end audio back in the early early 80's. The big trend with speaker cables was having the most amount of strands and "oxygen free". I still have some Angstrom speaker cable that has something like 600 strands if I recall. I still have this cable sitting on shelf. If you are going in wall make sure the cable is inwall rated (FT-4). Home Depot sells this stuff and it works like a champ. It has an outer insultation on top of the two insulated conductors and is cheap.

12 AWG - Green outer shield
14 AWG - Yellow outer shield
16 AWG - Blue outer shield

The 12 AWG is a bit stiff but if the walls are already exposed - it should be no problem.

Eric Chong
My HT Pictures
post #8 of 27 Old 10-14-2007, 03:55 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
It's interesting that skin effect is proportional to frequency; less effect at lower frequencies.

In the RF world though, it is common to use Heliax where cost doesn't matter. Heliax is a coaxial cable with a solid center conductor and a shield conductor that approximates a solid. The dielectric between the two is typically air or pressurized nitrogen. Nitrogen gas is used in high power applications to prevent arcing. The diameter of this cable is often several inches, and it almost goes without saying that the stuff is quite expensive.

If those guys aren't buying the strand argument....

Speaking of which, I don't believe I've ever heard the term "oxygen free" used in relation to moving RF from point A to point B via wire.
post #9 of 27 Old 10-14-2007, 04:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Here is a highly technical article: http://bruce.coppola.name/audio/cableInteractions.pdf

I haven't tried to wade through the whole thing. But there do seem to be some measurable effects in some circumstances to using cables that have many individually insulated strands.
post #10 of 27 Old 10-14-2007, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Higher strand count conductors are typically capable of carrying more current (read: lower impedance) due to the higher copper density (fewer voids). Take welding cable for an example. While the high strand count may be more beneficial for flexibility, the difference in cable resistance is probably too small to be concerned about.

P.S. Skin effect will have no effect on frequencies in the audible range as far as cables are concerned.

My Home Theater Site:

DJ-Theater
post #11 of 27 Old 10-14-2007, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Higher strand count conductors are typically capable of carrying more current (read: lower impedance) due to the higher copper density (fewer voids).

While that may be true for the same physical radius, the gauge is measured by the cross section surface area, and thus 12-gauge 100-strand is the same as 12-gauge solid. The reason to go with stranded is to get a more malleable cable.

And, as you say, at sub-megahertz frequencies, the skin effect has no impact.

Get a cable of the gauge you need, that is in-wall rated (impotant!), easy to install and light on the pocketbook -- in that order.
post #12 of 27 Old 10-15-2007, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Stranded wires do have a small difference in cross-section area, depending on stranding.
This from an old Alpha Wire catalog.
14 Gauge wire, Square mm area:
Solid - - 2.087
7/22 - - 2.2848
19/27 - 1.9535
41/30 - 2.0910
105/34 - 2.1254

Kevin
post #13 of 27 Old 10-15-2007, 07:40 AM

The number of strands effects only the flexibility. It has nothing to do with the sound.
post #14 of 27 Old 10-15-2007, 07:43 AM

From a practical point of view, what's important is the gauge of the speaker wire(copper) and the ohm resistance.
Richard
post #15 of 27 Old 04-08-2011, 12:41 PM

FYI - though cross-sectional area affects the resistance of a length of wire, current does not flow through the entire cross-section of a wire - only near the surface. Thus, increasing effective surface area by twisting together many tiny wires to make a single conductor rather than one thick wire increases the load rating of a given gage wire.
post #16 of 27 Old 04-08-2011, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 151
That's skin effect you're talking about. See above. I don't think uninsulated multistrands look like individual strands to electrons, which can pass between them onaccounta they aren't insulated. At any rate, as stated above, FWIW, and at least for me, it has been demonstrated adequately that skin effect is not relevant at audio frequencies in lengths we use to connect speakers in homes smaller than the size of an average state in the US (and maybe even not for longer runs, it's been quite a while since I put those concerns out of my mind).
post #17 of 27 Old 04-08-2011, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Since the wiring in the amplifier including output fuses and in the speaker cabinets does not contain any exotic construction or anything more than standard, off the shelf, bulk hook up wire, why waste money on complete technical nonsense?

As many have accurately stated, Monoprice , HD, Lowe's etc all carry excellent cabling that will be a perfect for the audio. Now, if you want to brag about the wire construction, that's another story.
post #18 of 27 Old 04-08-2011, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlesaint View Post

The idea is certain frequencies travel along the surface of the conductor. The more conductors, the more surface area for which the signal to travel. I believe it called the skin effect and it's validity is one of the classic audio arguments.

It's an audiophile argument, but a real effect in RF:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skin_effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by EC View Post

When I got into high end audio back in the early early 80's. The big trend with speaker cables was having the most amount of strands and "oxygen free". I still have some Angstrom speaker cable that has something like 600 strands if I recall. I still have this cable sitting on shelf. If you are going in wall make sure the cable is inwall rated (FT-4). Home Depot sells this stuff and it works like a champ. It has an outer insultation on top of the two insulated conductors and is cheap.

12 AWG - Green outer shield
14 AWG - Yellow outer shield
16 AWG - Blue outer shield

The 12 AWG is a bit stiff but if the walls are already exposed - it should be no problem.

I think the coding might be a different in the US, I think FT4 corresponds to UL CL3 in the US but I may be wrong.

I generally go with what most speaker makers suggest: 18 AWG or higher, whatever's cheap, 16AWG for longer runs, 12AWG for very long runs or very high power (or if you just have the coin and feel like it; there's no negative impact to any in a reasonable length - you can screw with impedance significantly at very long distances (hundreds to thousands of meters) with lower gauge stuff though). See here for more information:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/America...AWG_wire_sizes
post #19 of 27 Old 04-08-2011, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Skin effect at audio frequencies is like aerodynamics of a turtle: it exists as a phenomenon but is negligible for all practical purposes.

Bob Lee
Applications Engineer
QSC Audio Products, LLC
Costa Mesa, Calif.

Secretary, Audio Engineering Society
post #20 of 27 Old 04-08-2011, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Lee (QSC) View Post

Skin effect at audio frequencies is like aerodynamics of a turtle: it exists as a phenomenon but is negligible for all practical purposes.

You really could not have put that better - and I'm still laughing.
post #21 of 27 Old 04-08-2011, 03:19 PM

But what about Gamera?
post #22 of 27 Old 04-08-2011, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Lee (QSC) View Post

I have got to remember that one!

I deal with skin effect all the time. In RF. In X- through W-band radars. Never at audio. BTW, the only way to reduce skin effect with stranded wires is to insulate them all, a.k.a. Litz wire.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #23 of 27 Old 04-08-2011, 05:57 PM

I've noticed on my reciever that with antenna wchich is a wire that even though its broken in half I can still connect what seems to be one strand and get the raido coming in clear so I guess in that situation all the extra wire is excessive.
post #24 of 27 Old 04-08-2011, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

You can use a single strand of 28 awg wire. The reason for the additional strands in the wire are for physical strength for handling.
post #25 of 27 Old 04-10-2011, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlesaint View Post

Do you buy the most expensive toilet paper you can afford; or buy the one that gets the job done and is as comfortable as is your preference for as cheap as you can find it, and assume that anything more is just flushing money down the toilet?

post #26 of 27 Old 04-10-2011, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmologist View Post

As many have accurately stated, Monoprice , HD, Lowe's etc all carry excellent cabling that will be a perfect for the audio. .

I disagree only isamuch as I've seen enough reports of inexpensive wire turning green in the jacket to know that I want to avoid the lowest cost options. I spend a small bit more to get a good brand name like Belden.

Just because there is a knob doesn't mean you should turn it.
post #27 of 27 Old 04-10-2011, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

All the sources mentioned carry a variety of wire and cable. Not all sore stock is TOTL. I have seen a great deal of name brand wire over the years (hundreds of miles actually) and no brand is immune to the issue. One way to avoid the issue is to use tinned copper wire. The tin seals the copper from developing a patina due to wicking moisture into the jacket.
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page