Spring Clip Terminal & banana plugs - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 11-04-2007, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
id24601's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I picked up an Onkyo R-340 receiver a little while ago. It uses spring clips for its speaker connections but I would prefer to use some kind of plug instead of just bare wire. Does anyone know if these banana plugs from monoprice would fit OK? Or would I have to try to find some kind of thinner plug (in Canada)?

Thanks

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...ormat=2&style=

id24601 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 5 Old 11-04-2007, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Jonomega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 3,518
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i think the spring clip will crush and damage the banana plug, I would go with what is called "pin" termination.

example 1
Jonomega is offline  
post #3 of 5 Old 11-04-2007, 01:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
sivadselim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: CO
Posts: 16,085
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by id24601 View Post

It uses spring clips for its speaker connections but I would prefer to use some kind of plug instead of just bare wire. Does anyone know if these banana plugs from monoprice would fit OK? Or would I have to try to find some kind of thinner plug (in Canada)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonomega View Post

i think the spring clip will crush and damage the banana plug, I would go with what is called "pin" termination.

It's not that the spring clip would "crush" a banana; a regular banana won't even fit in the holes.

The connectors Jonomega linked will work, however I know from experience that spring-clips actually DO crush those, eventually either unravelling them, breaking them off, or both.

Something like THESE or THESE will work better.

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
sivadselim is offline  
post #4 of 5 Old 11-04-2007, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Jonomega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 3,518
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim View Post

It's not that the spring clip would "crush" a banana; a regular banana won't even fit in the holes.

The connectors Jonomega linked will work, however I know from experience that spring-clips actually DO crush those, eventually either unravelling them, breaking them off, or both.

Something like THESE or THESE will work better.

Yeah, i really wanted the solid pins not the flex ones. I tried searching for a few minutes, but couldnt find them. Thanks!
Jonomega is offline  
post #5 of 5 Old 11-04-2007, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
id24601's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the advice.

Monoprice doesnt seem to have that type. Ill check at Sayal and see if they carry something like that. If not, well its only for convenience. Anything over $2 a pair is not worth it IMO.
id24601 is offline  
Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off