HDMI audio problem - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 02-03-2008, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently acquired a Panasonic DMP-BD30 Blu Ray player and connected it directlyto my Pioneer PDP-4340HD plasma via HDMI, while connecting the Optical audio out to my Denon AVR-3300 receiver (which has no HDMI inputs). Now I am not getting audio from my subwoofer or surround channels. The Blu Ray player instructions indicate that I should set the HDMI audio output on my television to "off", "otherwise the sound may not be output with the desired settings". The HDMI output options for audio on my TV are "digital", "analog", or "automatic"; there is no "off" setting that I can find. Shoud I abandon the HDMI connection to the TV and go back to component? Is there a better solution?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-04-2008, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

The Blu Ray player instructions indicate that I should set the HDMI audio output on my television to "off", "otherwise the sound may not be output with the desired settings". The HDMI output options for audio on my TV are "digital", "analog", or "automatic"; there is no "off" setting that I can find.

I'm not familiar with your components but do you mean INput rather than OUTput? Right now the player is doing an HDMI handshake with the TV and seeing it can only do stereo so that's all the player puts out. You need to set the TV so it isn't accepting HDMI audio, possibly by choosing some other audio input like analog. The player will see that the TV isn't accepting audio over HDMI so it will put out the full 5.1 signal through optical to the receiver. In theory at least.

Dennis H
post #3 of 9 Old 02-04-2008, 01:41 PM

Just a thought....hook up the fiber optic cable directly to your receiver. Keep your HDMI cable where it is and some magic should happen and it should work.....after going to the right input on your receiver....and maybe turning your digital output on on your blue ray player.....if it isn't already on.....which you will be able to tell by seeing a red light when you plug in the fiber optic cable.....yeah.
post #4 of 9 Old 02-04-2008, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by scalkins View Post

I recently acquired a Panasonic DMP-BD30 Blu Ray player and connected it directlyto my Pioneer PDP-4340HD plasma via HDMI, while connecting the Optical audio out to my Denon AVR-3300 receiver (which has no HDMI inputs). Now I am not getting audio from my subwoofer or surround channels. The Blu Ray player instructions indicate that I should set the HDMI audio output on my television to "off", "otherwise the sound may not be output with the desired settings". The HDMI output options for audio on my TV are "digital", "analog", or "automatic"; there is no "off" setting that I can find. Shoud I abandon the HDMI connection to the TV and go back to component? Is there a better solution?

You are using optical for audio and HDMI for video only? Swich off the HDMI audio feature in the BD30 menu! I believe there are two HDMI settings in the menu? Leave the video on. You'll have to read the BD30 manual a few times, I know I did. Also read the manual in regards to what audio format plays in bitstream (I'm assuming you have it set to that setting?) Secondary audio should be set to off in the menu.

"Music is my religion"
Jimi Hendrix

post #5 of 9 Old 02-04-2008, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I would double check your TV's manual. Most TV's will only pass Dolby Digital from the internal ATSC tuner. Every other input usually only passes stereo if any audio at all. Connect the optical cable directly to your receiver for surround.
post #6 of 9 Old 02-04-2008, 07:44 PM

tokerblue agrees.....and he has way more post than me.
post #7 of 9 Old 02-05-2008, 12:01 AM

Quote:

while connecting the Optical audio out to my Denon AVR-3300 receiver

Does this mean:
-the optical audio output from the TV is connected to your Denon AVR?
OR
-the optical audio output from the DVD player is connected to your Denon AVR?

The optical audio out from your TV will almost certainly not include the Dolby Digital signal even though it was available to the TV via the HDMI input. This is true for my new Sony 52W3000 and I believe it is typical of all TVs.

I just spent about four days researching how to set up my system. My last foray into multichannel sound dates back to Quadraphonic SQ matrixed full logic decoders so I have been dealing with a very steep learning curve. I have not yet assembled my system but I have decided each source device (DVD & Series 3 HD Tivo) will simultaneously provide an HDMI signal to the TV (for the video component) and an optical/coax digital signal to my AVR (for the Dolby Digital audio component). I am hoping I do not run into the problem suggested in a response above that will cause the source device to default to stereo on the optical/coax output if the Dolby Digital signal is not recognized on the HDMI output. If this is the case, my design will be blown all to hell and I will have to resort to the yet be determined Plan Bravo.
post #8 of 9 Old 02-09-2008, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks to all for your advice.
In response to RhoXS's question, the optical audio out from the BD player is connected to the Denon AVR.

Per Sharp 1080's suggestion, I switched off the HDMI audio out in the BD player's set-up menu. I also switched all outputs to bitstream.

Now the sub woofer is working, but still no audio from the surround channels.

Per catapult's suggestion, I have experimented with the TV's audio settings, to no avail.

Any other suggestions?
post #9 of 9 Old 02-09-2008, 11:03 AM

Sometimes it is the simplest thing that gets by us. I am not as experienced as some of these other fellas, but do you have the correct audio track selected on the BD menu (the disc itself, not the player)? Perhaps it is set for 2.1 channel audio. It is a long shot but just the first thing that popped into my head.

I can win a game of connect four in three moves.

Room V Theater Construction Thread

The Game Grid
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page