HDMI and Optic Out? Dolby Digital... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 02-18-2008, 03:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Okay, So I recently upgraded my DirectTV to HD with an HDMI port, and also purchased a PS3... I have a Panasonic 42" plasma and have both hooked up through the HDMI ports, they both support Dolby 5.1 and so does the HDMI cables, so... why is it that I'm not getting full 5.1 surround through my surround sound? It's hooked up to my plasma through Optic...

Will HDMI not transfer through the tv and out the optic or am I doing something wrong?

It really sucks having to unplug the optic cable and put it into my reciever or PS3 when I want to use them...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-18-2008, 04:28 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 617
There might be a setup problem. You shouldn't need the optical cable. The HDMI will carry the audio as well as the video.
post #3 of 6 Old 02-18-2008, 05:14 AM

Assuming that your receiver have HDMI inputs, here's what it should look like. Direct TV an PS3 should be connected to AVR input via HDMI cable. AVR HDMI output should be connected to TV input via HDMI.

If your AVR does not have HDMI input, connect both Direct TV and PS3 directly to TV via HDMI cable. Look for digital output connection on Direct TV and PS3 (optical/coax) and hook them to the AVR. Make sure the AVR is set up correctly.
post #4 of 6 Old 02-18-2008, 09:45 PM - Thread Starter

Well my receiver doesn't have HDMI inputs, that's the problem, its a JVC out of the box set up and I only get 5.1 when I run the audio through the optic input on the receiver. I just assumed that since the HDMI is carrying the 5.1 Signal to the tv, it would go through the tv and out the optic output?
post #5 of 6 Old 02-18-2008, 09:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 54
The vast majority of TV's will only pass 5.1 from their own internal tuner. All other sources are basically down-converted to stereo.
post #6 of 6 Old 02-19-2008, 04:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Find out if the DirecTV box has an option to just pass video over HDMI and send the audio over optical. That way you could connect it directly to the receiver. If you really want audio through the TV speakers, maybe connecting a standard L/R RCA cable would work.
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page