Please help me hook up a DLP tv Bluray player and a onkyo ht sr 800 receiver. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 02-18-2008, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok I have a samsung 61 inch dlp
I have a panasonic bluray DMP-BD10A
I also have a onkyo HT-SR800 7.1 system.

I have the tv hooked up to the reciever useing a optical cable,

the bluray hooked to the TV with a hdmi and to the receiver using the multi channel anolog hook ups.

I will be hooking my cable box up using hdmi to the tv and optical or digital coxal to the reciever.

my PS2 is hooked up to the tv useing component.

I get dolby digital sound from the reciever if the tv is on a HD channel other wise the reciever says it is not digital.

the tv does not seem to send sound to the reciever if I am listening to the bluray though the tv ( I can hear it on the tv no the reciever though) I have to select dvd on the reciever to hear anything is this normal?

should I hook the bluray to the receiver using the optical or keep the multi channel hook up?

should i hook the cable box useing optical to the reciever or just hdmi to the tv and let the tv send the sound via optical to the receiver?

what settings do i want in the bluray player?
bit stream or pcm? multichannel out or 2 channel out?

when listening to the receiver do I want multi channel picked or use one of the other suround settings? thanks

Samsung HL-T6176S 1080P DLP
Panasonic DMP BD55
Onkyo HT-SR800 7.1
Samsung PN50A650 1080P Plasma
Panasonic DMP BD 85 K
Samsung LN32C530F1F
Panasonic DMP BD10 A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-19-2008, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOE.G View Post

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok I have a samsung 61 inch dlp
I have a panasonic bluray DMP-BD10A
I also have a onkyo HT-SR800 7.1 system.

[quote]I have the tv hooked up to the reciever useing a optical cable,

the bluray hooked to the TV with a hdmi and to the receiver using the multi channel anolog hook ups.

I will be hooking my cable box up using hdmi to the tv and optical or digital coxal to the reciever.

my PS2 is hooked up to the tv useing component.

Quote:

I get dolby digital sound from the reciever if the tv is on a HD channel other wise the reciever says it is not digital.

In theory any digital cable source could have DD5.1, but in fact only HD programs have DD5.1 sound tracks. SD may have Dolby Stereo

Quote:

the tv does not seem to send sound to the receiver if I am listening to the blu ray though the tv ( I can hear it on the tv no the receiver though) I have to select dvd on the receiver to hear anything is this normal?

Yes. Most TVs will not pass through DD5.1 or better audio.

Quote:

should I hook the blu ray to the receiver using the optical or keep the multi channel hook up?

Optical will only allow DD5.1. To get the new Dolby/DTS HD formats you must use HDMI 1.3 or multichannel.

Quote:

should i hook the cable box using optical to the receiver or just hdmi to the tv and let the tv send the sound via optical to the receiver?

You need an optical or digital coax connection from the cable box to the receiver; few if any TVs will pass DD5.1

Quote:

what settings do i want in the bluray player?
bit stream or pcm? Multichannel out or 2 channel out?

I don't have your BD player, but if you use have multichannel audio connections, I would try multichannel. Multichannel is analog (D/A conversion is done internally by the player). The other two formats are digital and D/A is done in the receiver.

Quote:

when listening to the receiver do I want multi channel picked or use one of the other surround settings? thanks

Use Multi for the BD and Dolby/ Dolby Prologic IIx /Dolby Ex on the receiver. Your receiver may or may not be able to apply Prologic IIx to the multichannel inputs.

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd.
-Bertrand Russell
post #3 of 4 Old 02-20-2008, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter

What is better digital coxal or optical?
Could I hook up the optical or coxal to my bluray player and also have the multichannel hooked up, so if I wanted digital suround sound I could use it? Can I switch back and forth?

If I can not hook them both up which is better multi channel or digital?

can I hook up bluray and cable box with hdmi to my receiver and get the sound? my reciever says somthing like it is only pass though.

also whenI use it as multi channel i get sound out of all the speakers but one Of the rear ones, is this becasue the sound is 6.1?

Alsofor themulti channel hook ups will any rca cables due or do I need to by expensive ones? I have the entry level montser THX cables at the moment that I got at a good price. Thanks

Panasonic DMP BD55
Onkyo HT-SR800 7.1
Panasonic DMP BD 85 K
Samsung LN32C530F1F
Panasonic DMP BD10 A
post #4 of 4 Old 02-25-2008, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone else have anything to add, this hook up stuff is pain.

Panasonic DMP BD55
Onkyo HT-SR800 7.1
Panasonic DMP BD 85 K
Samsung LN32C530F1F
Panasonic DMP BD10 A
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page