3D contact lenses? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 38 Old 11-03-2010, 02:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Interesting idea. I think it will all depend on the specifics of the lenses. Soft or Hard? Lifetime of soft lens? All prescriptions available?

I currently wear daily disposable soft lenses. If they were soft lenses that that I could wear throughout the day, I'd probably go for them. Their polarization shouldn't affect daily use. You'd have to be able to drive with them in, and at least last the entire day for me to be interested. I don't want to have to bring another set of contacts to the theater to swap them before driving home.

- Michael

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 38 Old 11-08-2010, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman981 View Post

Interesting idea. I think it will all depend on the specifics of the lenses. Soft or Hard? Lifetime of soft lens? All prescriptions available?

I currently wear daily disposable soft lenses. If they were soft lenses that that I could wear throughout the day, I'd probably go for them. Their polarization shouldn't affect daily use. You'd have to be able to drive with them in, and at least last the entire day for me to be interested. I don't want to have to bring another set of contacts to the theater to swap them before driving home.

Very interesting idea, I thought I was going to be the one to coin this...lol. With all seriousness, I don't see how 3D TV will survive- who really wants to sit and wear glasses all day while watching TV? The contact lenses though, is a possible alternative-
post #33 of 38 Old 11-18-2010, 10:07 AM

This should definitely be doable. I have astigmatism and I have contacts. So making 3D contact lenses would be a similar process.

I would use the 3D contact lenses with my normal glasses... until someone comes out with lightweight 3D glasses that fit properly over my normal glasses.
post #34 of 38 Old 11-24-2010, 02:44 AM

funny how i told my family and friends about this...
post #35 of 38 Old 12-29-2010, 05:22 PM

I can't imagine this selling.
post #36 of 38 Old 01-12-2011, 08:29 AM

3D contact lenses are good experience for 3D lovers. it totaly changes the movie experience.
post #37 of 38 Old 01-19-2011, 10:45 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Considering that ALL TV and movies are 3D, then no glasses method will work, Only glasses free will be acceptable. But my thoughts are just certain programming that benefits from 3D will be desired and in this case I don't see an issue to view a movie for 2 hours and need to wear the glasses. I consider them no more of an inconvenience than needing to wear glasses to read or wear sunglasses.

The idea of contacts was of great concern for us because my wife needs and wears corrective lenses for nearsidedness all the time. So when we considered 3D for the home we spent some time testing the active and polarized glasses with double glasses and with contact lenses. Her contacts are rather interesting. To avoid needing to remove the contacts to read or view her computer screen at work, they made one eye corrective and the other not corrective or rather corrective for reading distance. Here is what she discovered.

With her contacts her vision works for both distance and reading. Wearing the passive and active glasses for movie length times over her contacts worked fine for her. She also tested her glasses that she removes when needing to read. The problem was wearing comfort and while she had no personal complaints, wearing double glasses was worse than contacts with 3D glasses.

So, the result of all our testing was that she will be quite comfortable viewing 3D either way.

Now I like to invent and not really concerned with money for the ideas but here's one that some enterprising optician could steal from me.

Take a regular pair of active glasses and fit the inside of them with the glass of the corrective lenses. The problem with her wearing double glasses is the double frames, not the lenses, so lets get rid of those and just make a mount in the 3D glasses frames for the prescription lenses.

Years ago when she took up scuba diving she had the same problem and was not ready to test those hard contacts while wearing the mask. I had one of my scuba students who was a optician try my idea of fitting corrective lenses inside her mask glued to the diving mask glass. It worked great and he went on to make a business doing this for divers all over the country. For 3D glasses, this is a simple solution to a personal problem. We already discussed getting a set of lenses to mount inside her 3D glasses for our 3D home theater.

Now as far as contacts go, should not need them for viewing 3D movies.
post #38 of 38 Old 01-26-2011, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TelevisionsFlo View Post

3D contact lenses?
No joke: polarisation filters onto your eyes.

Televisions.com reported today on news that 3D contact lenses are soon to hit the marketcoupons.
But what impact can we expect this to have on the 3D viewing experience? Surely once the filters are actually in contact with the viewers’ eyes, the difference between 3D movies and normal vision must begin to blur — if you’ll excuse the pun!

It seems almost certain, from what we know, that the lenses will use circular polarisation to separate the left and right images. The shutter-glasses technique, planned for the first wave of 3D TVs later this year, requires a power supply and therefore can’t be accommodated in such a small lens.

For anyone who’s tried shutter glasses before, which technology do you prefer? And do you think contact lenses could be the missing link in making 3D movies a more comfortable viewing experience?

Hahaha. This is awesome. However, I have heard watching 3D TV can actually be bad for your eyes and even your brain. I would suggest we do these things only in moderation. Wow, we're getting advanced.
Reply Community News & Polls

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page