3D TV Review: Samsung UE 46 C 7000 - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 61 Old 04-12-2010, 03:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
"Double edges"? the one I saw at Best Buy the other days clearly had more than just a few double edges issues going on. It looked like the big robot was actually three big robots.
I saw MVA on the Imax when it came out so I know that there is really only supposed to be one robot there. lol

Not ready for this yet myself. They still need to iron out some bugs. And by the way, we don't even have that many channels in HD yet... I'm just saying, shouldn't we get one thing pretty well covered before they shove another down our throats?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 61 Old 04-13-2010, 06:26 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
My question is are they bugs that can be fixed? I wonder if the eye strain issue is something we can adjust to or if it will be a regular problem. I don't see why anyone would want to sacrifice pq for 3d unless it was very minor. I'm trying to keep a open mind about 3d but not reading very good things.
post #33 of 61 Old 04-14-2010, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonii View Post

"Double edges"? the one I saw at Best Buy the other days clearly had more than just a few double edges issues going on. It looked like the big robot was actually three big robots.
I saw MVA on the Imax when it came out so I know that there is really only supposed to be one robot there. lol

Not ready for this yet myself. They still need to iron out some bugs. And by the way, we don't even have that many channels in HD yet... I'm just saying, shouldn't we get one thing pretty well covered before they shove another down our throats?

You will get three items if the batteries in the glasses are dead and not working or you simply didn't hold the power button long enough to turn on, it's a really small button to even find on those glasses.
post #34 of 61 Old 04-14-2010, 02:36 PM

3D will catch on. I think people are imagining going from no 3D to watching everything in 3D, and this simply isn't the case. It will be an event based benefit. Every once in a while you'll watch a movie in 3D or a sporting event, but you're not going to watch the weather channel in 3D. Most people when given the choice, will go see a movie in 3D over 2D. And, quite frankly, this technology is at least as good as in the theaters. Plus, this is only the 1st gen technology, and it's pretty good considering that.

As far as the TV goes, 46" is just too small to expect a really cool 3D effect - unless you're sitting really close. I think 3D will help LCDs in general because most viewing of 3D will be done directly in front of the set, as opposed to off axis where, as we all know, LCDs blow. It's good for them because it'll be a little cover up for the flaw in their crappy technology.
post #35 of 61 Old 04-27-2010, 07:17 PM

3D TV will only be worth it when you don't need any eye ware. My dad bought a 46" Sony LCD 1080 HD TV. I have notice that the picture had a slight 3D depth while viewing some 1080 HD TV programs. Maybe we will not need to use eye ware to get some HD affects on a HD TV?
post #36 of 61 Old 04-27-2010, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
It will never be possible. 3d from a tv without the glasses? No. Never.
post #37 of 61 Old 04-27-2010, 08:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 428
no way, not using that TV.

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre

post #38 of 61 Old 04-27-2010, 11:03 PM
AVS Special Member

And you shouldn't
post #39 of 61 Old 04-28-2010, 04:02 PM

Not sure I want to wear glasses to watch TV
post #40 of 61 Old 04-28-2010, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

It's not the glasses. The tv just sucks.
post #41 of 61 Old 05-06-2010, 09:55 AM

It's absolutely awesome for gaming. I ran my PS3 through it and have been playing Borderlands nonestop. The graphics look so sharp on the big screen.

I got mine at the LCD TV deals bit of www.Ebuyer.com, haven't seen a better price out there.
post #42 of 61 Old 05-06-2010, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Meh. 3d is ok bit it's nothing to fork out money for. Not just yet
post #43 of 61 Old 05-17-2010, 08:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Saw a Panasonic Plasma 3D (54"?) at Best Buy's Magnolia Theater and the 3D sampler (Grand Canyon tour) was impressive. No eye strain, no double images, wide viewing angle. I have a new Sony LED LCD TV and my thoughts are that the 3D LED LCDs will have very narrow viewing areas for 3D whereas the Plasmas will be better in that respect. However, then there is the burn in factor for Plasma. Let's see how it plays out. I do know that I will have a 3D set in the future. DirecTV will start broadcasting one or two channels in 3D this year.

Sony KDL-55HX729, Sony STR-DH820 Receiver, Sony BDP-S590 BD Player, Sony SA-W2500 subs, Sony, SS-CN5000 center channel, Sony SS-F6000 left and right front speakers, Sony 3D Glasses: TDG BR-750 & TDG-BR250, Apple TV, APC Back Up UPS XS1500, Apple Airport Extreme.
post #44 of 61 Old 05-17-2010, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

yes, plasma technology is not only better for 2D but is even better for 3D.

my home theatre

post #45 of 61 Old 05-20-2010, 11:22 PM

Great 3D TV

I'm waiting for 9000 Series Reviews.
post #46 of 61 Old 05-25-2010, 11:28 PM

Really a nice and amazing TV... will definitely buy it if I have that much money
post #47 of 61 Old 05-30-2010, 08:49 AM

I first watched a demo of this set running in FRY's and clearly saw light ghosting around every item/image that was on screen, I thought maybe it was a defective tv, so I asked the sales man and he said that's just the technology, others around me didn't see the ghosting until I pointed it out. Still thought it was maybe defective so I went across the street to best buys display and once again I could see the light ghosting images. Very disappointed to say the least. I did go into the Magnolia out let inside of Bestbuy and demoed the Panasonic 3D set which was Plasma, and was really stunned at how deep the 3d was and what I felt might have been sharper image. But most of all no ghosting what so ever! Now if only they would make one big enough to replace my 60" tv, until then I'm waiting this one out.
post #48 of 61 Old 05-30-2010, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

The Panasonic 3D TV is incredible: clear, bright, no ghosting. But then do you want burn in issues?

Sony KDL-55HX729, Sony STR-DH820 Receiver, Sony BDP-S590 BD Player, Sony SA-W2500 subs, Sony, SS-CN5000 center channel, Sony SS-F6000 left and right front speakers, Sony 3D Glasses: TDG BR-750 & TDG-BR250, Apple TV, APC Back Up UPS XS1500, Apple Airport Extreme.
post #49 of 61 Old 06-12-2010, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marka1700 View Post

Ok, I know this is been very picky, but I don't like the stand.

To me the Stand looks cool, so I guess its all in what personal taste you have.
post #50 of 61 Old 06-21-2010, 02:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I'd pick the plasma over the LED any day.

I wrote a little blurb over here.
post #51 of 61 Old 06-21-2010, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

I'd pick LCD anyday... for my pocket calculator.

for viewing any type of material with any kind of motion: plasma is the ONLY way to go.

my home theatre

post #52 of 61 Old 10-07-2010, 05:34 AM

I'm afraid you are not going to see a 60" Plasma 3D from Panasonic. The only way would be for someone else to invent it. I have been involved with The Consumer Electronics Industry for my entire career. Something we learned long ago: In this business there are Innovators and Imitators. Panasonic has always been known as the latter of the two. If it were not for Pioneer, Panasonic would not be in the Plasma TV business. They typically wait for a truly Innovative company to release new technology, add some useless feature to it and "Bring" it to market. Plasma TV's are a Dying Breed. Eventually as consumers become more educated and aware of the long term issues with this archaic technology they will stop buying. I will put a good quality LED up against it any day. If one simply looks at "The Big Picture" you can't help but agree. We as an industry need to lose the "Disposable" mindset and get back to offering products that comsumers can expect to use more than a couple of years. There are many reasons why Plasma TV's can be purchased in the $300-$400 price range?????? Let's accept it and move forward.
post #53 of 61 Old 10-07-2010, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

1. If plasma is a dying breed, so why Panasonic actually opened an additional brand spanking new plasma manufacturing plant but not LCD?

2. Even the best LCD today is only approaching mid-level plasma in terms of quality

3. The best LCD uses Multi Coloured LED array as backlight, the manufacturing cost of it is a lot higher than plasma. Hence the price discrepancy.

4. The oldest plasma in my house is about 12 years old and there is no image retention, burn-in etc. So it's a proven technology, at least for me, that plasma is not such a disposable tech as you alluded. I haven't a need torepair a single plasma (touch wood) for about 12 years (with the 'newest' being 2 years old)

my home theatre

post #54 of 61 Old 10-19-2010, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post

1. If plasma is a dying breed, so why Panasonic actually opened an additional brand spanking new plasma manufacturing plant but not LCD?

2. Even the best LCD today is only approaching mid-level plasma in terms of quality

3. The best LCD uses Multi Coloured LED array as backlight, the manufacturing cost of it is a lot higher than plasma. Hence the price discrepancy.

4. The oldest plasma in my house is about 12 years old and there is no image retention, burn-in etc. So it's a proven technology, at least for me, that plasma is not such a disposable tech as you alluded. I haven't a need torepair a single plasma (touch wood) for about 12 years (with the 'newest' being 2 years old)

My cousin's 42" Panasonic plasma which was about $2600 is dying and has a vertical stripe going down one side. Neither technology seems as solid as the old CRTs. I prefer Panasonic plasma 3D over Samsung or Sony 3D LCD TVS but nothing beats the brightness of LED LCD.

post #55 of 61 Old 10-19-2010, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Sure, but it's like saying "nothing beats the brightness of the sun". It's a big "so what?"

For TV viewing in a bright room, the spec requires 45 ftL and in a darkened room about 35 ftL as per THX/ISF. Even the movie mode of the Panasonic is BRIGHTER than the 45 ftL. How bright do you need it to be?

Bright does NOT equal quality.
Accuracy DOES equal quality.

PS: how many plasmas have your cousin had in his life? I've had more than 6 (that I can remember of, from NEC, Sony -- when they used to have plasma, Panasonic and Pioneer Elite) and currently am using 3 (2 Pioneer Elites and 1 NEC 4:3 plasma). I've never had that problem at all. And literally from every single install I've done, almost nobody had burn-in (except for one who accidentally left a paused game for the long-weekend -- ie 4 days). Why? because they calibrate their TVs properly and not abuse it.

my home theatre

post #56 of 61 Old 10-19-2010, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post

Sure, but it's like saying "nothing beats the brightness of the sun". It's a big "so what?"

For TV viewing in a bright room, the spec requires 45 ftL and in a darkened room about 35 ftL as per THX/ISF. Even the movie mode of the Panasonic is BRIGHTER than the 45 ftL. How bright do you need it to be?

Bright does NOT equal quality.
Accuracy DOES equal quality.

PS: how many plasmas have your cousin had in his life? I've had more than 6 (that I can remember of, from NEC, Sony -- when they used to have plasma, Panasonic and Pioneer Elite) and currently am using 3 (2 Pioneer Elites and 1 NEC 4:3 plasma). I've never had that problem at all. And literally from every single install I've done, almost nobody had burn-in (except for one who accidentally left a paused game for the long-weekend -- ie 4 days). Why? because they calibrate their TVs properly and not abuse it.

Plasma has a lot going for it but compared to really good LED LCDTVs, plasma can't produce that pure white...to me plasma's whites seems a little yellowy. In all fairness, LCD has issues to but overall, for ME, I prefer LCD. Also, LED backlit or edge lit is a whole lot more energy efficient.

post #57 of 61 Old 10-19-2010, 09:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Again you're not looking at purely calibrated picture. In a purely calibrated picture, no white is "pure white", it's always slightly off-white. Even if you calibrate the most expensive LED backlit LCD, the white SHOULD NOT be pure white.

When you go to movie theatres... do you see pure white? Not even in Skywalker Ranch' Stag Theatre you will see pure white.

Let's discuss things apple-to-apple, which in this case: properly calibrated display. Why? because a properly calibrarted display is either right or wrong, there is a math to it and nothing subjective about it.

On the other hand if anybody happen to like searing pure white that IMHO requires sunglasses to view, then by all means, set your display that way. There is no chance in hell at the proper calibration points with proper calibration brightness would anybody be able to see "pure white". By definition, pure white is already off the charts of D65 standard.

my home theatre

post #58 of 61 Old 10-20-2010, 12:42 AM
AVS Special Member

I never cared for the cinema mode on any of my LCDs. I prefer a cool or neutral color so Sony's factory settings, particularly the TVs that came out the first half of this year seem to be sort of cool out of the box. I don't disagree with what you prefer but I prefer something else.

post #59 of 61 Old 10-20-2010, 06:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve ans View Post

I never cared for the cinema mode on any of my LCDs. I prefer a cool or neutral color so Sony's factory settings, particularly the TVs that came out the first half of this year seem to be sort of cool out of the box. I don't disagree with what you prefer but I prefer something else.

I don't disagree with your preference too. You can like what you like. However calling any TV's factory setting to be 'natural' is faulty because nature don't look that way

don't forget, preference is subjective but what natural look like is factual based (objective) and can not be argued.

Cheers!

my home theatre

post #60 of 61 Old 10-20-2010, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

I said I preferred the neutral (not natural)settings. Is the coolish color more Japanese? I'm not sure but I agree what I like doesn't have what seems tome the overly warm cinema mode. On my home I use Verliux CCFL lights because of the cool dY light color as opposed to the warm tungsten bulbs and cheap CCFL bulbs, the Verilux most resemble day light and the light coming through your window on a cloudy day is definitely cool. Pardon my iPhone typos.

Reply Community News & Polls

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page