3D TV Review: Samsung UE 46 C 7000 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 61 Old 04-07-2010, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
3D TV Review: Samsung UE 46 C 7000
The first TV of its generation doesn't disappoint...

3D TV has finally arrived, and we've had one in our test lab: The Samsung UE 46 C 7000 is a European model nearly identical in specification to the American UN 46 C 7000, which Samsung lists for $2,599.99.

So let's go straight to the big question: Is it any good?

Yes! We're skeptical types at Televisions.com, so of course we've got a few grumbles, but overall we're very impressed: The 3D effect is consistent and convincing, and the TV's 2D picture quality is absolutely superb.
We tested the TV's 3D movie playback with Monsters vs. Aliens on 3D Blu-ray, largely because this was the only 3D Blu-ray currently available to us. The film looked great, but there are some double edges, and the picture frequently suffers from flicker. The 3D shutter glasses made some of our reviewers' eyes feel uncomfortable and will probably take a bit of getting used to. But, apart from these relatively minor quibbles, we thoroughly enjoyed our first taste of 3D home cinema.

Other 3D Material

We also tested the 3D picture with a 3D game (Avatar on the PS3) and with 2D material converted by the Samsung into 3D. The game was an absolute treat, even considering the double edges that appeared again here. Converted 3D material was surprisingly good (given our initial skepticism) but suffered from some of the problems we'd expected to find: inaccurate perspective and, yet again, double edges.

In general, 3D material showed a significant reduction in brightness compared to 2D. We tracked this down to the way the LCD panel was being driven and you'll find a detailed explanation of the effect in our full review (link below).

2D Picture Quality

Here, again, the Samsung scored highly. In fact, 8.1 points out of 10 is the highest score we've ever awarded a Samsung; the C 7000 must be doing something right. Motion looks exceptionally crisp, and the dynamic contrast is impressive. But we noticed some patchy illumination when we turned the lights down, and the viewing angle was typically narrow for an LCD TV.

A design overhaul has left the Samsung with a glistening metallic look. Even the remote control has changed, taking on a distinctive cell-phone look. See if you can spot the tantalizing 3D button

Overall

If this TV wasn't 3D-ready, we'd still be raving about it. The 46 C 7000 is the best Samsung we've ever tested, and has an impressive list of features, including internet access and a USB recording function. The design is delicious, the picture kicks ass, and let's be honest it's a 3D TV what's not to love?

Read the full review of the Samsung UE 46 C 7000 at Televisions.com. Any comments on the device or our review are most welcome.

Florian Friedrich,
CEO of www.avtop.com, journalist and independent consultant from munich in germany.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 61 Old 04-07-2010, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 130
I saw one of these yesterday at a reseller in NJ, and was very unimpressed.

The crosstalk (double-edges) was very evident throughout "Monsters vs. Aliens", along with the flickering mentioned above. 3D is not ready for prime time, at least this implementation. I couldn't watch it for more than five minutes, and others watching felt similarly.

Actually, I wonder if the display industry is making a major error - they are desperate to increase sales, so they are turning to 3D as the next big thing. But its relative technical immaturity, paucity of titles, various technology implementations, and higher costs, inconvenience, and eye strain all sum up to an underwhelming introduction of a blurrier, less vibrant experience than stellar 2D 1080p content.

With more time, the technology will improve, and the initial adoption might be better, but I think they may be wasting an opportunity by forcing it this year.
post #3 of 61 Old 04-07-2010, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post

I saw one of these yesterday at a reseller in NJ, and was very unimpressed.

The crosstalk (double-edges) was very evident throughout "Monsters vs. Aliens", along with the flickering mentioned above. 3D is not ready for prime time, at least this implementation. I couldn't watch it for more than five minutes, and others watching felt similarly.

Actually, I wonder if the display industry is making a major error - they are desperate to increase sales, so they are turning to 3D as the next big thing. But its relative technical immaturity, paucity of titles, various technology implementations, and higher costs, inconvenience, and eye strain all sum up to an underwhelming introduction of a blurrier, less vibrant experience than stellar 2D 1080p content.

With more time, the technology will improve, and the initial adoption might be better, but I think they may be wasting an opportunity by forcing it this year.

+100. Get the sets perfected for 2D content, then add 3D. We aren't even close to perfecting the sets.
post #4 of 61 Old 04-07-2010, 12:02 PM

Wow, they must have a different model then we get in the states, because I took the un55c7000 back two days after having it! The 2d picture could not even compare to my un55b8500, or my pn63b590. What I saw was allot of pixelation during fast moving scenes, a big time hiccup when dejudder was engaged while watching film based content, and allot of blooming and flash lighting due to the edge lit leds.

I took it back along with the bd6900 3d bluray and the glasses! The 3d was impressive on the set, but now having seen the 3d and 2d on a pn50c7000 I will be waiting for the pn63c7000 or 8000. The plasma picture is so much more natural.
post #5 of 61 Old 04-07-2010, 12:03 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post

Didn't we just go through this with Blu-ray? (And I LIKE Blu-ray!)
post #6 of 61 Old 04-07-2010, 12:40 PM
Advanced Member

Add to all this that there is yet no 3D 1080p PJ and that some that had been announced have been postponed by at least 5 or 6 months. I for one am in no hurry to `upgrade' to 3D. Let's wait and see.
post #7 of 61 Old 04-07-2010, 02:11 PM

Great TV but I'm looking forward to the 9000 Series ohhhhh

Hmmmmm What to write?
post #8 of 61 Old 04-07-2010, 02:42 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I don't care if it does 4D: that brutally ugly stand alone disqualifies it.

Greg
post #9 of 61 Old 04-07-2010, 03:38 PM

i've been selling tvs for 5 years now, and this tv is by far the best LCD i've ever seen, its still not better than 90% of the plasmas out there, but it is still an incredible tv, the internet@tv is a cool feature too.
post #10 of 61 Old 04-07-2010, 03:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
MSG Aired a Hockey Game In 3d, and it was awesome.. double edges were barely noticable and no flickering..

as for the 3d BluRay, teh Flickering is prolly due to the way they encoded the Video Stream, I dont think companies know what frame and Field GOP and structure to use just yet.

i think 3d will be better on HD Live Sports (NFL, NBA and NHL), and of course, as much as I dont wanna back it, it looked great with GOLF too.. (watchign the 3d stream online).

but on HDTV, LIVE Hockey was Amazing, cant wait till the NFL toys with this.

Skate Zilla
-----------
Skate Zilla HD Studios - VA Beach, VA
post #11 of 61 Old 04-07-2010, 05:04 PM

I went to the TV shop today where this had this model (or similar new 3D Samsung LED) playing this movie. I noticed the flickering and a decent amount of brightness reduction when the glasses went on. I hadn't noticed the double-edges right away until my friend pointed it out. It was very obvious then in the San Francisco Bay Bridge for example (the red cables). I would not be able to buy this TV if that is the case with most movies....

I am awaiting to see the difference with a Panasonic VT25 as soon as it becomes available in my area. I sure hope there are no double-edges at least.
post #12 of 61 Old 04-07-2010, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by powermonkey24 View Post

Wow, they must have a different model then we get in the states, because I took the un55c7000 back two days after having it! What I saw was allot of pixelation during fast moving scenes, a big time hiccup when dejudder was engaged while watching film based content, and allot of blooming and flash lighting due to the edge lit leds.

Blooming on an edge-lit set? Exactly how did you pull that off? Lol I would certainly take your opinion w/ a huge grain of salt.
post #13 of 61 Old 04-07-2010, 05:56 PM
Advanced Member

the edges could prolly be fixed with some sharpness adjustments actually.. maybe...

Skate Zilla
-----------
post #14 of 61 Old 04-07-2010, 07:51 PM

I think the problem the manufacturers have with "better" televisions is that no one is willing to pay for them. People want bigger and cheaper not better. I hope blu-ray drives the need for better but the price point for a television purchase seems pretty immovable.
post #15 of 61 Old 04-07-2010, 09:16 PM

Liked: 22
what is causing the double edges? I noticed this when I saw the TV. By the way, the sales guy took me to show me the TV, it was not in 3d. He handed me the glasses, and told me to look how good it looked. Imagine how surprised he was when I put it in 3D mode for him. I may have SOLD Him the TV!

John Burton

post #16 of 61 Old 04-07-2010, 09:27 PM

The cross-talk has a lot to do with the refresh rate. You don't see the problem as much with the Panasonic 3D plasma's that came out recently. It's simply the limitation of LCD as it stands now. Not to mention plasma looks a hell of a lot better in terms of brightness and contrast than the still inferior LED technology all these companies are using.

Until they perfect glasses-free technology 3D will NOT be mainstream in the home.
post #17 of 61 Old 04-08-2010, 04:20 AM

Liked: 22
I think it will be mainstream, but only because it will be in just about every TV and Blu-ray player made. But that will be the only reason. I will say I was surprised at how bright the picture was

John Burton

post #18 of 61 Old 04-08-2010, 06:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Sounds like a great TV to have if it were'nt 3-d. I'm looking to replace my 3yr old 52" 1080p lcd with something the same size or bigger, but with a much better picture.

xbox live GT: xXmaximus prime
PSN: maximus_rr
I have to go, I have a meeting with the bobs, uhhh I wasnt aware of any meeting......yeah they called me at home
post #19 of 61 Old 04-08-2010, 06:43 AM

manufacturers will have better equipment. i worked at a mapping company that did a lot of 3d stuff, high end crt's, super fine pitch, awesome contrast, sharp high res 1920x1200, bright, very high refresh rates. the 3d i was shown there was very impressive and no problems for my eyes, any current 3d i find annoying, even the famous avatar movie.

movies typically run 24fps, useless for 3d, even if they multiply 4x then 2x for the 3d effect. games may appear better, or live sport as they aim for 60fps doubled to 120hz, and if display supports to 240hz at full res. but may find most tvs aren't hitting 240hz with native 1080/60p content. or maybe they are, i really haven't read up that much
post #20 of 61 Old 04-08-2010, 07:16 AM

Right now it looks like LCD TV's are having a problem with 3D and the Plasmas are not. Not sure if it's the refresh rates or just the different technology built into them. But I have not found any problems with the 3D from the Panasonic 3D TVs. Anyone seen any problems with them?
post #21 of 61 Old 04-08-2010, 09:40 AM
Advanced Member

The double edges could be caused by the display being setup by soemone that doesnt know the tech, which since its new, pretty much everyone that hasnt been given a chance to sit and play with it.

example, just plugging in the HDMI and powering on isnt gonna be the best picture, you'd have to adjust the sharpness on the TV, any Edge enhancement features would need to be turned off, and brightness and contrast would need to be adjusted.

3d glasses always made the picture dimmer, even in the Imax 3d theaters, its just less noticable because the surrounding lights are usually Off, in a store the lights are on, so pictures being dimmer will be more noticable and more annoying. even ambient light level in a typical living room would cause an annoyance.

flickering can be caused by the TV or Players progressive scan features, or anything that would adjust the video's field frequency, PScan, MotionFlo, 120Hz Upscale whatever the Manufacturer wants to call it.

Skate Zilla
-----------
post #22 of 61 Old 04-08-2010, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my armed redoubt deep in the mountains of northern Ohio
I have seen the demo four times and I am actually impressed. I am also an anal as the next 1080p guy but I cannot perceive all the issues some folks have raised.

Tom

42" in the dining room.
50" in the bedroom
80" in the living room

65" in the family room
106" in the family room

"There is another system"

Video Modes: SDTV-EDTV-XGA-HDTV-3D
All HD Modes: Blu Ray, HD DVD, DVHS

post #23 of 61 Old 04-08-2010, 12:47 PM

bought the Amazon package deal with the BD-6900 Blu-ray player and 55" version of this set, and have had the set up since last Friday; the reason I was sold on it was it was such a great 2D HDTV, the 3D is a very nice bonus

I have noticed some clouding and flashlighting in a dark setting, but it was minimal with backing off the edge lighting a bit, and in no way detrimental to the viewing

while I wouldn't run out and get a new set just for 3D, I think its remiss not to consider it if already in the market for a new set, which I was....I just hope I don't have to jump to D* to get ESPN 3D, as E* hasn't announced any 3D plans yet

I read a lot of reviews praising this set and a lot harshly criticizing it; bottom line judge for yourself...this is my 3rd LCD HDTV, last one being the Sony XBR4 which I still have and love, and IMHO the Samsung blows it away in PQ

I have only made minor tweaks so far in the settings, haven't had a chance yet to really get into it, so I'm assuming it can only get better

I was pleasantly surprised by the 2D-3D conversion; it works best on sporting events and is naturally not as good as real 3D programming, but it is definitely a nice feature to have
post #24 of 61 Old 04-08-2010, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fastz28 View Post

i've been selling tvs for 5 years now, and this tv is by far the best LCD i've ever seen, its still not better than 90% of the plasmas out there, but it is still an incredible tv, the internet@tv is a cool feature too.

Good. Cause I just bought it lol
post #25 of 61 Old 04-09-2010, 02:02 AM

As 3D content is low in production but high in demand I thought I would share news on 3D content that works with the Samsung C7000 and C8000 with you all. 3DGUY.tv creates original 3D content as well as offering daily 3D news and 3D training courses.

The original stereoscopic 3D content created is available for a free download from 3DGUY.tv.
To play it on the 3D Samsung displays, simply download it from the website and transfer it to a usb drive then insert the drive in to your TV.

There is a variety of content available, such as; 3D Girls, 3D Demo Reel, 3D Sunflowers, 3D Las Vegas Nights, 3D Bellagio Fountains and more.

The content can also be watched using YouTubes 3D feature here - youtube.com/user/exploreworldtv?feature=mhw5
post #26 of 61 Old 04-09-2010, 07:12 AM

Yawn.

A white elephant wrapped in a black bezel and stand.

BMW: Happiness is the next curve.
post #27 of 61 Old 04-09-2010, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 329
Saw it on demo at CES, SSI, FutureShop... all shows severe crosstalk and flicker. The same problem plagued Sony model too. Panasonic 103" plasma have less crosstalk but it's still there.

Why oh why when the industry still can't get 2D right now they're trying to move to 3D? Greed, I guess.

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre

post #28 of 61 Old 04-10-2010, 09:09 AM
Advanced Member

tru2way NDS guides built in......

Skate Zilla
-----------
post #29 of 61 Old 04-10-2010, 06:30 PM

I first watched a demo of this set running in FRY's and clearly saw light ghosting around every item/image that was on screen, I thought maybe it was a defective tv, so I asked the sales man and he said that's just the technology, others around me didn't see the ghosting until I pointed it out. Still thought it was maybe defective so I went across the street to best buys display and once again I could see the light ghosting images. Very disappointed to say the least. I did go into the Magnolia out let inside of Bestbuy and demoed the Panasonic 3D set which was Plasma, and was really stunned at how deep the 3d was and what I felt might have been sharper image. But most of all no ghosting what so ever! Now if only they would make one big enough to replace my 60" tv, until then I'm waiting this one out.
post #30 of 61 Old 04-11-2010, 06:20 PM

Ok, I know this is been very picky, but I don't like the stand.
Reply Community News & Polls

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page