New Kinetix Re Remote Control Accessory for the Apple iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 22 Old 05-03-2010, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Review - Kinetix Re Remote Control Accessory for the Apple iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch
Author: Jim Bask, Remote Shoppe

The New Kinetix Re is an infrared universal remote control accessory for the iPod Touch, iPhone and iPad. The Re package includes the IR transmitter accessory and a nice green neoprene storage case. The Re programming software is a FREE download direct from the iTunes App Store. The combination of your iPod Touch/iPhone/iPad, the Re, and the FREE App creates a powerful and professional universal remote control on par with many dedicated remotes.

In this review we'll take a look at the Re hardware and software and how it integrates with your iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch. The Re is fully compatible with both the iPod Touch and the iPhone and has been demonstrated on the iPad even though it is not yet officially approved.

Read the complete article in the latest issue of our eMagazine at HomeToys.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 05-03-2010, 07:07 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Seems like a waste.. For $69.95 you can buy a wireless router and download air mouse app for free and have a wi fi remote no need for IR..
post #3 of 22 Old 05-03-2010, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascen5sion View Post

Seems like a waste.. For $69.95 you can buy a wireless router and download air mouse app for free and have a wi fi remote no need for IR..

Maybe I'm missing something, but how can you control your IR components with a $70 wireless router and Air Mouse?

No signature here...
post #4 of 22 Old 05-03-2010, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:

Huh? This is a universal remote for any type of a/v component, not a desktop/notebook
post #5 of 22 Old 05-03-2010, 08:27 PM
Advanced Member

I was thinking it was for a pc... Air mouse works via wi-fi.. I have an iphone and I would rather use my Harmony One than use this.. Its just my opinion so please don't take offense to it lol. Harmony one runs $250, this IR controller with a itouch runs about the same..
post #6 of 22 Old 05-03-2010, 11:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Quote:

wow! would it work for your ps3?
post #7 of 22 Old 05-04-2010, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoro View Post

wow! would it work for your ps3?

big 2nd there. It would be nice not to have the IR2BT cigarette case thing laying around next to my equipment.

*EDIT: It looks like after reading the article that it only does IR, since the PS3 was connected to an IR2BT.
post #8 of 22 Old 05-04-2010, 05:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I assume an "air mouse" is some kind of ethernet to IR emitter. Can you give us a link to such ?
post #9 of 22 Old 05-04-2010, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 25
The article didn't say if the Kinetix could "learn" remote commands. Anyone have an idea if it can or can't?

Why is there NO perfect equipment, only compromises?
post #10 of 22 Old 05-04-2010, 07:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltA View Post

I assume an "air mouse" is some kind of ethernet to IR emitter. Can you give us a link to such ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hj1Hh_2jKW0

It works via wi-wfi no IR which I like. You can google it but here is a youtube vid I found. You set up a virtual server on your pc that you want to control and then link the iphone/itouch to the network via wi-fi. I used the free app air mouse free and it was pretty neat.. The problem is the battery life on my iphone sucks lol. Anyone who has one will likely agree that the current iphones drain the battery quick when using wi-fi. Personally still think universal like Harmony is better than even Air Mouse option.
post #11 of 22 Old 05-04-2010, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleTheater View Post

The article didn't say if the Kinetix could "learn" remote commands. Anyone have an idea if it can or can't?

Found this on the RE website...

PLUS, the Re is a learning remote that can be programmed to control virtually any IR device!
post #12 of 22 Old 05-04-2010, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltA View Post

The app works via your Wi-Fi network and it's pretty slick [for controlling your PC].

http://www.mobileairmouse.com/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 22 Old 05-04-2010, 01:40 PM

that looks pretty cool
post #14 of 22 Old 05-04-2010, 04:31 PM

cool

Enjoy life & help others enjoy life! : )
post #15 of 22 Old 05-06-2010, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Bah. I'll pass. Just stick to whatever remote I have with whatever I get.
post #16 of 22 Old 05-11-2010, 12:19 PM

Just received one last night actually. I had been eyeballing this for a few weeks now. Product works great. Replaced (4) remotes I typically use. Using it with an iPhone 3gs. Preprogrammed codes worked on all my devices with the exception of a Sony 5 disc cd changer. I haven't tried the learn command yet to program it because quite frankly, I don't have any CD's in there. lol
Back to the remote adapter: small unit plugs in to the device, the app, when run, inverts the screen so the device points at the receiving units, very little battery drain, and customizable layout makes it easy to change around to your preference. You don't get the feel of the actual button which I could see being a problem for some. The only issue I have is that you can program favorite channels into the remote that are suppose to function as a 1 button hit. I have DirecTV and as an example, I programmed channel 241 into the remote. When I press it, the remote delivers it to the DirecTV device to quickly and only the first number registers. So it goes to channel 2. I'm sure an update to the app can correct that by adding a small delay to the number entry after the button is pressed.

All in all great product. And the comparison to a Harmony remote costing $250..., well I don't have first hand experience with one so I couldn't tell you about functionality, however, on a cost basis, I already had the iphone and many people already have itouch devices. So spending $70 to get the remote is much cheaper than 250 for only a remote.
post #17 of 22 Old 05-12-2010, 12:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdeek2006 View Post

Just received one last night actually. I had been eyeballing this for a few weeks now. Product works great. Replaced (4) remotes I typically use. Using it with an iPhone 3gs. Preprogrammed codes worked on all my devices with the exception of a Sony 5 disc cd changer. I haven't tried the learn command yet to program it because quite frankly, I don't have any CD's in there. lol
Back to the remote adapter: small unit plugs in to the device, the app, when run, inverts the screen so the device points at the receiving units, very little battery drain, and customizable layout makes it easy to change around to your preference. You don't get the feel of the actual button which I could see being a problem for some. The only issue I have is that you can program favorite channels into the remote that are suppose to function as a 1 button hit. I have DirecTV and as an example, I programmed channel 241 into the remote. When I press it, the remote delivers it to the DirecTV device to quickly and only the first number registers. So it goes to channel 2. I'm sure an update to the app can correct that by adding a small delay to the number entry after the button is pressed.

All in all great product. And the comparison to a Harmony remote costing $250..., well I don't have first hand experience with one so I couldn't tell you about functionality, however, on a cost basis, I already had the iphone and many people already have itouch devices. So spending $70 to get the remote is much cheaper than 250 for only a remote.

would it work with ipad? and if there is code for ps3?
post #18 of 22 Old 05-12-2010, 08:56 AM

My understanding is that it does work with the iPad.

Doing some quick digging on the PS3 compatibility, I'm leaning towards no. Perhaps with an IR converter/receiver but I didn't research in depth.

Because the iphone has Bluetooth and the PS3 is a bluetooth system, hopefully that relationship is developed maybe via an app. Haven't seen one yet though.
post #19 of 22 Old 05-12-2010, 08:43 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
The Re does work with the iPad. It has not been optimized to take advantage of the larger, HD screen but it does work in 1X mode and if you blow it up to 2X you've got some pretty good sized buttons to work with.

Demo video on iPad at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhcKx...layer_embedded

As for the PS3, there is no way to get direct Bluetooth control at this time but the Re is compatible with many of the IR to Bluetooth converters available. In fact, the codes for the RE-BL, Audio Authority, Schmartz, and Nyko are all included in the Re's extensive database

Jim

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #20 of 22 Old 05-12-2010, 09:21 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleTheater View Post

OOPS. Sorry I missed that. Yes, the Re does learn commands. One a device is programmed you can go into the device and hit EDIT. Then double click on any button and select MODIFY BUTTON. There you may change the button image, label or learn a new command from your current IR controller.

I'll have the article updated with this info as well.

Jim

post #21 of 22 Old 05-13-2010, 07:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdeek2006 View Post

My understanding is that it does work with the iPad.

Doing some quick digging on the PS3 compatibility, I'm leaning towards no. Perhaps with an IR converter/receiver but I didn't research in depth.

Because the iphone has Bluetooth and the PS3 is a bluetooth system, hopefully that relationship is developed maybe via an app. Haven't seen one yet though.

So I cant give up my Logitech Harmony with adapter as Ps3 is integral part of my system and despite I have a IPAD now!
post #22 of 22 Old 07-05-2010, 09:48 PM

The Re definitely works with the iPad. I got mine specifically for my new iPad and to date, all the claims on New Kinetix website have held good. Now sure how the Logitech really compares esp on $price but the Re has let me control my TV and recently installed home theatre. I'm going to setup my A/C system with the Re too - so hopefully all will continue to go smoothly and easily.

Zoro...? Sounds v. complicated what you are trying to do.....I just wanted to dump my 'hoarders' collection of remotes and rely only on my iPad. For $70I feel my investment has already paid off!!

Cheers - hope this helps....
Reply Community News & Polls

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page