AVS Forum banner

Lenovo’s New Nettop Is A Dirt Cheap HTPC

27K views 52 replies 30 participants last post by  calstudios 
#1 ·
Lenovo's New Nettop Is A Dirt Cheap HTPC

The Lenovo IdeaCentre Q150 will be available at the end of June and start at just $249. The nettop features Nvidia ION graphics, a choice of a single core Intel Atom D410 or dual core Atom D510 processor, 2GB of RAM, 802.11b/g/n, your choice of 5400rpm hard drive and Windows 7 Home Premium or Windows 7 Home Basic installed. It measures in at just 6.8″ x 6″ x 0.8″ with an HDMI output, 4 USB ports (2 front and 2 back), mic and headphone jacks, S/PDIF audio, VGA output, and Ethernet port. Available separately is Lenovo's cool wireless multimedia remote with keyboard and trackball.

For links and more stories visit the Hot Stories section at HomeToys.com

See less See more
#29 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq /forum/post/18621997

I just don't want others led astray. It DOES work with HD video. There may be no way you'd use it, but that doesn't mean it doesn't work.

If you don't want others led astray, stop acting like this thing is gonna run video like an I7 powered Quad-Core PC.

OK, works quite poorly....how's that? It stutters badly even when using MLB.com's MLB.TV feature and that is HARDLY the most taxing piece of video out there.

#30 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblank74 /forum/post/18622860

If you don't want others led astray, stop acting like this thing is gonna run video like an I7 powered Quad-Core PC.

OK, works quite poorly....how's that? It stutters badly even when using MLB.com's MLB.TV feature and that is HARDLY the most taxing piece of video out there.

Well, we have different experiences then. If that's your experience I see you wanting to warn other off. I would too. Something may not be setup correctly.

But setup is more fussy than if you just have the CPU power to do it. If you have a powerful CPU, it just gets done!

#31 ·
I have a single-core ATOM Acer Revo 1600, using the ION LE chip. Upgraded to 1.5GB DDR2 RAM and still using the internal 160GB (slow) hard disk.

With the latest Nvidia drivers and the beta version Flash (mentioned in an earlier post in this thread), the Revo plays everything I can throw at it. Including Blu-ray DVDs. Without stuttering.

Yes, the Windows 7 Media Center interface is noticeably slower than my dual-core desktop. But I don't try to run Media Center on the Revo, I just use it as a play-back system. For that, it is more than adequate.

If the Lenovo had been available when I bought my Revo, I would have went for the Lenovo...primarily because of the cool multimedia keyboard.

#33 ·
interesting that you guys have problems with online content like MLB.tv , espn3 or HULU - they all work flawless for me - netflix as well (even though that is using silverlight)

#34 ·

Quote:

But it does. Full HD. No stutter. What more does a Quad-Core PC do for full HD? It does have to be setup properly, though, whereas a Quad-Core will just blow through stuff.

#35 ·
So we've got guys here, that own something spec'd similarly, telling you guys to beware, this may not run great, from our own experiences, and that's still not good enough, or somehow we're wrong.

I think I'll just bow out of the thread at this point, apparently our experiences with these types of products isn't sufficient with some of you.

#36 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblank74 /forum/post/18623722

So we've got guys here, that own something spec'd similarly, telling you guys to beware, this may not run great, from our own experiences, and that's still not good enough, or somehow we're wrong.

I think I'll just bow out of the thread at this point, apparently our experiences with these types of products isn't sufficient with some of you.

No need to bow out. There are just a bunch of OTHER guys having OTHER experiences. Not wrong... it's just not the way it always works, either. You do have to have Flash 10.1 and GPU accelerated BD playback. It just needs to be setup right.

The key word is "may". Yes... that's true. You're not wrong.

#37 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblank74 /forum/post/18623722

Couldn't agree with you anymore then i already do. Dam, i really need to learn how to talk better. lol

#41 ·

Quote:

It should run exactly the same as the i7 machine, since even the cheapest video cards out these days can handle decoding of HD video. There may be other bottlenecks in the system, such as low RAM, slow HDD, etc. but no video should be stuttering on an ION based system assuming everything is set up properly.

#48 ·
"Bought my wife a netbook last week that runs the new Atom and it's the slowest thing I have seen in years. I put another gig of RAM in it, to give it 2GB thinking that would help, but uh uh, nope. Turns out, the processor is a REAL dog when it comes to anything moderately processor intensive. Even flash videos slow the thing down to a crawl. I would not buy anything powered by an Atom, even for that price."

Which netbook and what are the specs?

hjackson

#50 ·
I see the Q150 has made it's way onto the market - anyone have any experiences with it yet?

Curious to see - I'm thinking of either this or building a Core i3 system. If this can handle playing HD stuff without a hitch, I'm all for it. I'd rather spend $300 (i get a corporate lenovo discount thorugh work) than $500+ on building a machine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.