Can only happen if we have standards! 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #391 of 2615 Old 05-19-2010, 02:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Uh, excuse me, but we have HDTV's now - and maybe roughly 50% of the current TV programming is in high def (and that is being generous) - and they are already talking about 3D TV's? - and there is currently NO 3D television programming at all. You would only be able to watch 3D movies currently. Who in their right mind, except the fabulously wealthy, would invest all that money in a 3D television when there is no 3D programming to be had? All of this crap really gives me a headache.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 2615 Old 05-19-2010, 02:31 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I think it is here to stay for the theater but it is a fad for TV.

It is great in the theater. Not as great on TV from what I have seen.

Also, TV watching is not the same as theater. Theater is single tasking. TV watching is multi-tasking, so wearing 3D glasses is fine in a dark, enclosed space where you are strictly there to watch a movie. But when you are reading, talking with people, surfing the internet, making dinner, folding laundry, etc., at home, not so much.
post #393 of 2615 Old 05-19-2010, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghpr13 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by techman707
3D Movies at one point this year held the #1 box office for over 14 weeks in a row.

Ghpr13
Which 3D movies? The only one that was a major hit was Avatar AFAIK. A couple of others might have made top dollar for 1 or 2 weekends, but only Avatar sustained repeated #1 ranking.

I think you made a mistake. I never said "3D Movies at one point this year held the #1 box office for over 14 weeks in a row". You must have mixed it up when you responded to multiple posts in the same post.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -Ghandi
post #394 of 2615 Old 05-19-2010, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by winchesterdoug View Post

Uh, excuse me, but we have HDTV's now - and maybe roughly 50% of the current TV programming is in high def (and that is being generous) - and they are already talking about 3D TV's? - and there is currently NO 3D television programming at all. You would only be able to watch 3D movies currently. Who in their right mind, except the fabulously wealthy, would invest all that money in a 3D television when there is no 3D programming to be had? All of this crap really gives me a headache.

You do know that you are talking about the state of 3D as it exists today, don't you. Next month there will be 3D channels on DirecTV and Comcast, including ESPN 3D. 3D Blu-ray movies will gradually increase, and almost every manufacturer will be making 3D TVs. Let's do a similar poll in about 2 years after 3D content has been available for a while. I think that the results will be radically different.
post #395 of 2615 Old 05-19-2010, 03:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I voted "here to stay" not because I like it (and I do) or because CEM's and media providers are aggresively pushing it or because it may have sustained popularity. The way I see it, 3D capability is as much a side effect of newer technology as it is a driving force. I've already had a couple of 120hZ sets that needed a relatively small amount of extra engineering to be 3D. Can't fault the CEM's for having such a simple solution only to let it pass by without using it to promote their products while pushing the engineers to come up with sets that will perform even better in 2D by virtue of improving 3D.

It's pretty hard to find a more devisive topic than 3D or not 3D. Of course, there are the same invalid, "They're making me..." arguments as with another current national debate. I still have to politely listen to friends who swear they can't tell the difference between DVD and BD. If 3D dies, however, it will be due to lack of content and those who stand to make a profit will have shot themselves in both feet.

I can't wait for auto racing as well. 3D onboard should be awesome. Racing, for me anyway, is the best application of 3D in gaming.
post #396 of 2615 Old 05-19-2010, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

I got my eyeful at my local Fry's with their Samsung promotion. I was impressed. The standard offered via Samsung was a big jump up over what I saw months earlier. I have no objection seeing this level of 3D succeed. I hope it does.
post #397 of 2615 Old 05-19-2010, 04:53 PM

I'm waiting for more live action in 3D before making the jump. But Avatar convinced me that this time is not a Fad
post #398 of 2615 Old 05-19-2010, 05:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by techman707 View Post

I think you made a mistake. I never said "3D Movies at one point this year held the #1 box office for over 14 weeks in a row". You must have mixed it up when you responded to multiple posts in the same post.

You are correct Techman707, I mixed up the posting. I apologize, the correct posting should have been:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuppy View Post

3D Movies at one point this year held the #1 box office for over 14 weeks in a row.

I've gone back and corrected it.

Thanks,
Ghpr13

Info=Knowledge=Understanding=Better TV!
I see dead pixels!
post #399 of 2615 Old 05-19-2010, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuppy View Post

Zuppy,

If you are referring to Avatar it should have been #1 at the box office. Most theaters were showing it on 10 screens in two forms of 3D and 2D. (lol)

Respectfully,
Willie

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

Oppo BDP-105, Denon DVD-5910CI, Cambridge 752BD, Cambridge 640C V2

Paradigm Signature S8, Paradigm Signature ADP1

Paradigm Signature ADP3, Paradigm Signature C5

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Oppo BDP-93, BDP-103D, Pioneer BDP-320

Sony BDP-S790

post #400 of 2615 Old 05-19-2010, 05:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fire407 View Post

You do know that you are talking about the state of 3D as it exists today, don't you. Next month there will be 3D channels on DirecTV and Comcast, including ESPN 3D. 3D Blu-ray movies will gradually increase, and almost every manufacturer will be making 3D TVs. Let's do a similar poll in about 2 years after 3D content has been available for a while. I think that the results will be radically different.

Fire407,
The one question I have is who is going to pay to get all these 3D programs and Blu-ray 3D disc? I'm sure the satelilte and cable companies will want to charge additional fees for 3D channels, and Blu-ray disc have only began selling recently because of price drops on older titles, not first run titles. Again, I would think 3D Blu-ray DVDs will be at a higher price than regular Blu-ray DVDs that average about $20 to $25 right now.

Just for the record I'm not against 3D at all...I think Avatar proved it can be a positive addition on the right movies and I too think it will be big in gaming, but it's just doesn't seem practical for home viewing of movies, except for those with a dedicated viewing room.

Ghpr13

Info=Knowledge=Understanding=Better TV!
I see dead pixels!
post #401 of 2615 Old 05-19-2010, 05:42 PM

I voted fad. The other problem is that young and old have issues with 3D, as-in nausea. Most people will avoid that feeling.

But Nintendo is supposed to announce 3D that doesn't need glasses in their next handheld gaming device. Now possibly that will help in the nausea dept. Time will tell.
post #402 of 2615 Old 05-19-2010, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghpr13 View Post

Just for the record I'm not against 3D at all...I think Avatar proved it can be a positive addition on the right movies and I too think it will be big in gaming, but it's just doesn't seem practical for home viewing of movies, except for those with a dedicated viewing room.

Ghpr13

Ghpr13,

The problem is that people think they are going to be able to re-create that Avatar feeling (which was ok) in their living room on their 60" screens. (lol) The Imax screen is 76' x 97'.

Respectfully,
Willie

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Sony BDP-S790

post #403 of 2615 Old 05-19-2010, 07:15 PM

Well I'll chime in. I have a pretty good setup with multiple thousands of $$ invested and I am in no way interested in 3D one bit. The marketers will try to get me interested but I'm not biting. That said let me be the first to say this is in no way ment to belittle those that are investing in this tech or wish to. To each their own with their own hard earned $$. Just not for me.
post #404 of 2615 Old 05-19-2010, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerwi View Post

Ghpr13,

The problem is that people think they are going to be able to re-create that Avatar feeling (which was ok) in their living room on their 60" screens. (lol) The Imax screen is 76' x 97'.

Respectfully,
Willie

Are you kidding me? You think watching the 2D version of Avatar at home is like watching the 2D version at the movies? Of course the home experience is different. However, I saw Avatar scenes in 3D at the Panasonic booth at CES, and the 3D looked great, and it looked just as much like the 3D at the theater as your 2D version looks like the 2D version. This is the FIRST TIME that we've been able to see 3D at home without the gimmicky red/blue anaglyph glasses. Screen size for 3D at home doesn't make as much difference as you think it does. Some of the best 3D at CES was on Sony's 37" OLED sets, but that can't possibly be since EVERYONE KNOWS you have to have a theater size screen to enjoy 3D.
post #405 of 2615 Old 05-19-2010, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I don't believe most who have invested in good-quality HD monitors would just write-off what they paid for and junk their sets for 3D (even when the cost of equipment drops). Just like most aren't replacing their 60 htz LCDs for newer 120 or 240 htz units or for LEDs or their DVD players and collections for bluray (which still accounts for less than 10% of video sales).

If the technology changes whereas people can just sit down and watch 3D as we do now with regular television, then it would slowly become the norm. And I'm willing to bet a nickel this technology is already in the developmental stage since the current 3D technology was being developed while companies were marketing HD monitors as the only set one would need for the next 20 years.
post #406 of 2615 Old 05-19-2010, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Dubin View Post

I don't believe most who have invested in good-quality HD monitors would just write-off what they paid for and junk their sets for 3D (even when the cost of equipment drops). Just like most aren't replacing their 60 htz LCDs for newer 120 or 240 htz units or for LEDs or their DVD players and collections for bluray (which still accounts for less than 10% of video sales).

If the technology changes whereas people can just sit down and watch 3D as we do now with regular television, then it would slowly become the norm. And I'm willing to bet a nickel this technology is already in the developmental stage since the current 3D technology was being developed while companies were marketing HD monitors as the only set one would need for the next 20 years.

I sound like a broken record, but I feel that almost all of the animosity toward 3D is from people that have invested a lot of money fairly recently, and they don't want to feel like something would pressure them to junk their current setups. So if 3D wasn't happening, they could go on feeling that they are getting really good value from their investment. I understand that feeling. I bought a Sony XBR last summer for my bedroom, and I had no clue that 3D was coming. I know that I will keep the XBR for years, and it won't ever have 3D capability .But I am in the market to replace my TV in the family room, and it will have the 3D tech. As people buy new TVs for whatever reason, more and more will get 3D capable sets---not necessarily now because now it's only in the top tier sets, but eventually. Also, EVERYONE HERE wants GLASSES FREE 3D TV. I do too. I checked out all of the technology at CES and NAB, and it will be many years before high resolution glasses free 3D is available. There will be some low rez versions available soon, and you will see it in malls for advertising, but I can't imagine anyone on this forum being satisfied with the current quality. There is no way you would want to sit through a movie with the low rez version, and to get higher rez, you need 4K resolution screens that cost lots of money.
post #407 of 2615 Old 05-19-2010, 08:13 PM

So many product and so many manufacturers with many own problems!!!
that's why standard is must! When connect any manufacturers product with 3D support, all must work with the best quality. Period.
post #408 of 2615 Old 05-19-2010, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I voted fad. The other problem is that young and old have issues with 3D, as-in nausea. Most people will avoid that feeling.

Yep, a lot can only watch 3D for so long before feeling dizzy or annoyed with the glasses. That still needs to be improved and of course standards developed.
So for now, its still a fad.
post #409 of 2615 Old 05-19-2010, 08:22 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
If your holding out for 3D without glasses, forget it, there is nothing really practical in sight. Shutter glasses or polarised glasses are the only workable solution for the forseeable future. So we are stuck with the glasses , whether in the cinema or on the home TV.
post #410 of 2615 Old 05-19-2010, 09:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantamas View Post

So many product and so many manufacturers with many own problems!!!
that's why standard is must! When connect any manufacturers product with 3D support, all must work with the best quality. Period.

You do know that there are standards, right? All of the 3D Blu-ray players will comply with HDMI 1.4---even the PS3 with the firmware upgrade. A Panasonic 3D Blu-ray player will work fine with a Samsung TV, and a Sony 3D Blu-ray player will work fine on a Panasonic TV. Every 3D TV sold now will be able to display DirecTV 3D, Comcast 3D, or 3D by any other provider. Who told you there were NO STANDARDS? The only thing not standard is the glasses syncing with the emitters, but they even all work the same way. Some people here complain that the Samsung 3D ready sets sold over the last couple of years won't work, but they were sold BEFORE THE STANDARDS WERE SET. I'll probably get a Panasonic TV, but even if I were getting a new Samsung TV I would still get the Panasonic Blu-ray player because it has two HDMI outputs. Eventually all of the receivers sold will support HDMI 1.4a, but for now, you can have the Panasonic 3D Blu-ray player connected to your TV and still have HDMI 1.3 audio going to your current receiver. Anyway, there are standards, or none of this would work.
post #411 of 2615 Old 05-19-2010, 11:02 PM

Liked: 20
Quote:

Eventually all of the receivers sold will support HDMI 1.4a, but for now, you can have the Panasonic 3D Blu-ray player connected to your TV and still have HDMI 1.3 audio going to your current receiver. Anyway, there are standards, or none of this would work.

Well, and even more encouraging is that many if not most HDMI 1.3 implementations will work fine with the 3D standards too. Think of HDMI 1.4 as a minimum spec, but if the HDMI 1.3 cables exceed the minimum, then the 3D will still pass through okay. I think the only thing in the HDMI 1.4 spec that would never work over 1.3 is the Ethernet addition.

Here is a nice overview of HDMI 1.4:
http://www.monoprice.com/home/home.asp?pn=help&idx=2

post #412 of 2615 Old 05-20-2010, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekGirl View Post

History will repeat.

1. Develop a set of standards. No glasses.
2. At least 2 major company groups will form, each touting a different standard. HD-DVD vs. Blu-Ray. Again.
3. They duke it out for about 6 months to a year.
4. The one with the better technical format loses to the one with the best chances of revenue for Hollywood.
5. A couple of good 3-D movies comes out, but it's not enough to justify a huge expense for such little content.
6. They try to remaster a bunch of 2-D movie classics in 3-D as a last-ditch effort to keep the revenue stream going. No one cares because remastering degraded the quality and there was no real added value.
7. Everyone waits until true 3-D sports broadcasting comes out. It fails miserably because there's no advantage to 3-D unless you are at the player's level. At that point, you can't see the big picture and miss the action.

Totally agree (although I think #1 will take a loooong time).

In my not-very-informed-opinion it is the exact analogy of Quadraphonic sound encoded into vinyl records. Relatively small amount of content available, and the amount of programming available never really reached critical mass because of the next point.

And for 3D TV the amount of content never really takes off because the experience that is being ADVERTISED is NOT the experience that viewers will see.

When I see magazine ads hyping 3D TV and they depict 3D objects coming OUT of the screen and EXTENDING BEYOND the perimeter of the entire television set . . . grrr.
post #413 of 2615 Old 05-20-2010, 04:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 167
I'm holding out for the Future when we can buy the newest 3D Technology sets with Surround Smellovision! MMMM - just smell that bacon frying in the pan and grease spits out to you sitting in your favourite arm chair!
post #414 of 2615 Old 05-20-2010, 04:40 AM

Quote:

All I'm reading are peoples opinions. If your are reading more than that then you are reading too much between the lines.

No, it's really clear that some folks are presenting what they're presenting intending for at least some casual readers to infer that what is being posted is more than just a personal preference.

Quote:

"Rebuttals to opinions are, at the very least, opinions themselves, and thereby equally valid." I agree, but what is your point?

The message I was replying to was essentially complaining about people rebutting opinions presented. I was pointing out that such complaints are without merit.
post #415 of 2615 Old 05-20-2010, 04:58 AM

I voted 'Need standards', no new technology will survive without them. That's my gut feeling. Now, do I really like 3D? No. When I saw Avatar I had to keep looking away or I thought I was going to get sick. If I had a beer before that movie, I am positive I would have. That's not to say I wouldn't enjoy it if it worked better, but in it's current form I don't think it will live very long. Who wants to watch a football game without having a beer, for fear of getting sick in the chip bowl? :O
post #416 of 2615 Old 05-20-2010, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Those who want 3D will buy it and those who don't want 3D will not. I voted fad, because that is my opinion. I recently upgraded some of my components, but that has no influence on my view about 3D. If I were in the pro 3D camp then I would invest in the appropriate equipment regardless of my recent upgrade, but I am not. Those who are going to be early adopters of 3D are treating this pole as though it has a bearing on whether 3D will be going forward. That horse has already left the barn.

If people are onboard with the latest iteration of 3D then go for it. I may join you down the road if I find value in 3D as it relates to my viewing habits, but presently there is nothing I find compelling about 3D that makes me feel like I have to have it now.

Respectfully,
Willie

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Sony BDP-S790

post #417 of 2615 Old 05-20-2010, 07:16 AM
Rgb
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
re: standards-

It appears the displays and sources are standardized (i.e. BluRay set tops, BluRay 3D titles, LCD panels and projectors) and work interchangably, but the LCD shutter glasses ought to be interchangeable, too. Any emitter on any display should work with any LCD shutter glasses.

Also, the glasses need to accomodate prescription glasses- comfortably fit over them for extended periods.
post #418 of 2615 Old 05-20-2010, 07:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgb View Post

re: standards-

It appears the displays and sources are standardized (i.e. BluRay set tops, BluRay 3D titles, LCD panels and projectors) and work interchangably, but the LCD shutter glasses ought to be interchangeable, too. Any emitter on any display should work with any LCD shutter glasses.

I agree the glasses should be interchangeable. More likely manufactures greed will prevent it from ever happening.
post #419 of 2615 Old 05-20-2010, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I sound like a broken record, but I feel that almost all of the animosity toward 3D is from people that have invested a lot of money fairly recently, and they don't want to feel like something would pressure them to junk their current setups. So if 3D wasn't happening, they could go on feeling that they are getting really good value from their investment. I understand that feeling. I bought a Sony XBR last summer for my bedroom, and I had no clue that 3D was coming. I know that I will keep the XBR for years, and it won't ever have 3D capability .But I am in the market to replace my TV in the family room, and it will have the 3D tech. As people buy new TVs for whatever reason, more and more will get 3D capable sets---not necessarily now because now it's only in the top tier sets, but eventually. Also, EVERYONE HERE wants GLASSES FREE 3D TV. I do too. I checked out all of the technology at CES and NAB, and it will be many years before high resolution glasses free 3D is available. There will be some low rez versions available soon, and you will see it in malls for advertising, but I can't imagine anyone on this forum being satisfied with the current quality. There is no way you would want to sit through a movie with the low rez version, and to get higher rez, you need 4K resolution screens that cost lots of money.

If I was in the market to replace a set, I would still wait for even if money was not the issue, as so many others have mentioned there are no set standards and one does not want to get caught up in another format war. Also, as mentioned, I just don't trust the industry not to come up with something over the next half-decade or so that will make the finally agreed-upon format obsolete.
post #420 of 2615 Old 05-20-2010, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post

I'm holding out for the Future when we can buy the newest 3D Technology sets with Surround Smellovision! MMMM - just smell that bacon frying in the pan and grease spits out to you sitting in your favourite arm chair!

Where have you been? That happened back in the year 2000. Don't you remember when Elmer Fudd was asleep for nearly 60 years, he woke up old, grey and winkled, a newspaper in his hand with the story "Smellovision Replaces Television" (Carl Stalling says it won't work) right underneath the headline "Bing Crosby's Horse Hasn't Come In Yet"?
Reply Community News & Polls

Tags
Polls

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page