3D Television - Fad or Here To Stay? - Page 19 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: 3D TV - Is it a Fad?
Fad - Current Theater Hype! 0 0%
Here to Stay - Bring on the content! 0 0%
Can only happen if we have standards! 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #541 of 2615 Old 05-27-2010, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Joseph Dubin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,970
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post

I assume your set before, was lit up like a Neon Sign?

You should have seen what it looked like during a hockey game with those lights reflecting off the ice!
Joseph Dubin is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #542 of 2615 Old 05-27-2010, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Joseph Dubin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,970
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by techman707 View Post

Stop saying that!!!!

Please speak a little louder - my hearing aid ain't working!
Joseph Dubin is offline  
post #543 of 2615 Old 05-27-2010, 05:58 PM
Advanced Member
 
Ghpr13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Fairdale,KY
Posts: 815
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Found this today:
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/3d-pcs...25?tag=nl.e539

Seems manufacturers on the 3D wagon are toying with which should come first, "the chicken or the egg"?

Ghpr13

Info=Knowledge=Understanding=Better TV!
I see dead pixels!
Ghpr13 is offline  
post #544 of 2615 Old 05-27-2010, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member
 
p5browne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Sudbury, Ontario, CANADA
Posts: 3,870
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghpr13 View Post

Found this today:
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/3d-pcs...25?tag=nl.e539

Seems manufacturers on the 3D wagon are toying with which should come first, "the chicken or the egg"?

Ghpr13

And the next generation will all be born cross eyed! A decoding chip will be implanted at birth - fight will be on for whose standard!
p5browne is offline  
post #545 of 2615 Old 05-27-2010, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member
 
techman707's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Florida & New York
Posts: 9,348
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Dubin View Post

Well, I'll be going on 59 next month.....


You're just a baby, wait until you get a little older and begin falling apart like me. My whole life I had BETTER than 20/20 vision, but now I have end stage emphysema and the only reason I'm still alive is because I'm taking large amounts of Prednisone to enable me to breathe. The only problem is that besides causing cataracts (which I don't have...yet), it causes blurry vision that keeps on changing.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -Ghandi
techman707 is offline  
post #546 of 2615 Old 05-28-2010, 04:13 AM
AVS Special Member
 
p5browne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Sudbury, Ontario, CANADA
Posts: 3,870
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by techman707 View Post

You're just a baby, wait until you get a little older and begin falling apart like me. My whole life I had BETTER than 20/20 vision, but now I have end stage emphysema and the only reason I'm still alive is because I'm taking large amounts of Prednisone to enable me to breathe. The only problem is that besides causing cataracts (which I don't have...yet), it causes blurry vision that keeps on changing.

So! We all better hurry up and watch as much HD (3D?) as possible before our sight totally goes! I've found by upping my carrot juice intake has greatly helped the eyesight, especially at night - just don't over do it like I first did - I turned Orangy, then the wife warned me about too much being hard on the liver as well.
p5browne is offline  
post #547 of 2615 Old 05-28-2010, 05:26 AM
AVS Special Member
 
techman707's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Florida & New York
Posts: 9,348
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post

So! We all better hurry up and watch as much HD (3D?) as possible before our sight totally goes! I've found by upping my carrot juice intake has greatly helped the eyesight, especially at night - just don't over do it like I first did - I turned Orangy, then the wife warned me about too much being hard on the liver as well.


More rumors! My mother used to tell me that carrots were good for your eye sight. Now, I was watching "Dr. Oz" on TV and he said that while carrots are good as a vegetable, it does NOTHING for your eyes. Can you believe that, my mother lied to me.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -Ghandi
techman707 is offline  
post #548 of 2615 Old 05-28-2010, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Joseph Dubin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,970
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by techman707 View Post

You're just a baby, wait until you get a little older and begin falling apart like me. My whole life I had BETTER than 20/20 vision, but now I have end stage emphysema and the only reason I'm still alive is because I'm taking large amounts of Prednisone to enable me to breathe. The only problem is that besides causing cataracts (which I don't have...yet), it causes blurry vision that keeps on changing.

You just hang in there buddy.

And don't get this wrong but everyone should hope for cateracts. Except for the time when having to actually deal with the blurry vision, it's actually the best thing that could happen to one with visual problems. The procedure is simple, without pain or discomfort (in fact, it was such a breeze that I was actually trying to figure out the point when the lense was placed in my eye). And then you will have perfect vision, with only the need for reading glasses, and the insurance companies pays for everything!
Joseph Dubin is offline  
post #549 of 2615 Old 05-28-2010, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member
 
techman707's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Florida & New York
Posts: 9,348
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Dubin View Post

You just hang in there buddy.

And don't get this wrong but everyone should hope for cateracts. Except for the time when having to actually deal with the blurry vision, it's actually the best thing that could happen to one with visual problems. The procedure is simple, without pain or discomfort (in fact, it was such a breeze that I was actually trying to figure out the point when the lense was placed in my eye). And then you will have perfect vision, with only the need for reading glasses, and the insurance companies pays for everything!

I remember years ago (before lasers) when a person needed cataract surgery it was a major operation.....and afterwards, it looked like they had to wear Coke bottles for glasses.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -Ghandi
techman707 is offline  
post #550 of 2615 Old 05-29-2010, 08:45 AM
Senior Member
 
Staying Salty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 307
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Fad for TV and maybe movies. Although the 3D movies look good and I have seen most of them, I try to see the 3D movie in the 2D if I can. Just saw the new Shrek in 2D and ejnoyed it.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Staying Salty is offline  
post #551 of 2615 Old 05-29-2010, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member
 
p5browne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Sudbury, Ontario, CANADA
Posts: 3,870
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 190
The great thing about this new 3D FAD, is that all us 2D lovers, are loving the new, lower pricing on the old 2D equipment!
p5browne is offline  
post #552 of 2615 Old 05-29-2010, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Joseph Dubin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,970
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post

The great thing about this new 3D FAD, is that all us 2D lovers, are loving the new, lower pricing on the old 2D equipment!

And DVDs with the old red-blue (or whatever combination) eyeglasses can still be used on 2D sets and players which is of enough quality for those interested in casual use, especially since most who wrote about seeing "Avatar" in the theaters admitted the picture was darker and colors more faded than 2D (which is also the case with the above mentioned original 3D system).
Joseph Dubin is offline  
post #553 of 2615 Old 05-29-2010, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Joseph Dubin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,970
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by techman707 View Post

I remember years ago (before lasers) when a person needed cataract surgery it was a major operation.....and afterwards, it looked like they had to wear Coke bottles for glasses.

Arnold Stang and Mr. Bemus (played by Burgess Merideth in that famous Twilight Zone episode) forever!
Joseph Dubin is offline  
post #554 of 2615 Old 05-29-2010, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member
 
techman707's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Florida & New York
Posts: 9,348
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Dubin View Post

Arnold Stang and Mr. Bemus (played by Burgess Merideth in that famous Twilight Zone episode) forever!

Arnold Stang (my favorite character in It's a Mad World) died a couple of months ago.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -Ghandi
techman707 is offline  
post #555 of 2615 Old 05-29-2010, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Joseph Dubin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,970
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by techman707 View Post

Arnold Stang (my favorite character in It's a Mad World) died a couple of months ago.

Was very saddened when having heard the news but it seems he had a wonderful and rich life, living to the age of 91, being married for over sixty years and finding success doing the thing he loved.

Remember him as a kid doing all those "chunky" commercials. Few probably appreciated his dramatic skills as evidenced in the Otto Premminger classic "The Man With The Golden Arm" co-starring opposite Frank Sinatra.
Joseph Dubin is offline  
post #556 of 2615 Old 05-29-2010, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member
 
techman707's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Florida & New York
Posts: 9,348
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Dubin View Post

Was very saddened when having heard the news but it seems he had a wonderful and rich life, living to the age of 91, being married for over sixty years and finding success doing the thing he loved. .

While that may be true, it's depressing to see all the people I grew up watching are all dead (of course he was much older than me).

Quote:


Remember him as a kid doing all those "chunky" commercials. Few probably appreciated his dramatic skills as evidenced in the Otto Premminger classic "The Man With The Golden Arm" co-starring opposite Frank Sinatra.

"CHUNKY, whata CHUNK of CHOCOLATE" .....and still only $.05

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -Ghandi
techman707 is offline  
post #557 of 2615 Old 05-29-2010, 04:33 PM
Advanced Member
 
Ghpr13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Fairdale,KY
Posts: 815
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post

The great thing about this new 3D FAD, is that all us 2D lovers, are loving the new, lower pricing on the old 2D equipment!

You are so right! I'm wanting to get a second TV for our front room so the wife can watch her Lifetime stuff without nagging me about sharing control of the TV... and I'm just waiting and watching the prices as the creep down. I hoping to get a 42" or a 50" LED set and put my 40" Sammy in the front room, keeping the LED for my TV room.

Ghpr13

Info=Knowledge=Understanding=Better TV!
I see dead pixels!
Ghpr13 is offline  
post #558 of 2615 Old 05-29-2010, 06:43 PM
AVS Special Member
 
techman707's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Florida & New York
Posts: 9,348
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghpr13 View Post

You are so right! I'm wanting to get a second TV for our front room so the wife can watch her Lifetime stuff without nagging me about sharing control of the TV... and I'm just waiting and watching the prices as the creep down. I hoping to get a 42" or a 50" LED set and put my 40" Sammy in the front room, keeping the LED for my TV room.

Ghpr13

Prices have been pretty darn cheap for direct view TVs for the last few years. Compared to 25 years ago, prices today are dirt cheap. If they get any cheaper, they'll have to put even MORE nets on the factories in China to prevent the workers from jumping off the building to commit suicide, like at the Apple Computer plant in China.

While everyone likes to save money and buy electronics cheap, I don't need a cheap TV so bad and at the expense of some poor exploited worker earning $.10 an hour and treated so bad that they want to kill themselves. Whether they're Chinese or Americans, they're human beings. This goes DOUBLE for the United States, since we always want to criticize other countries over human rights....Charity begins AT HOME.

And that goes double for workers in this country....that you NEVER hear about. I've been across this country from end to end and top to bottom so when I see organizations asking for money for starving people in all these foreign countries, I can't help thinking that there are Americans starving RIGHT NOW across this country and you never hear ANYONE trying to help THEM. And I'm not talking about illegal aliens either, I;m talking about plain old average Americans that were barely getting by and as all these factories closed they lost their job (which IMO those type jobs will NEVER come back again).

Oh, and btw-In the end, the televisions, or anything else that appear cheap because it's imported here for practically nothing, WE WIND UP PAYING FOR THE PEOPLE HERE WHO LOST THEIR JOBS THROUGH INCREASED TAXES.

I'm really sorry for the depressing outburst, but it's always on my mind and I just couldn't hold it in any longer.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -Ghandi
techman707 is offline  
post #559 of 2615 Old 05-29-2010, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Joseph Dubin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,970
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by techman707 View Post

Prices have been pretty darn cheap for direct view TVs for the last few years. Compared to 25 years ago, prices today are dirt cheap. If they get any cheaper, they'll have to put even MORE nets on the factories in China to prevent the workers from jumping off the building to commit suicide, like at the Apple Computer plant in China.

While everyone likes to save money and buy electronics cheap, I don't need a cheap TV so bad and at the expense of some poor exploited worker earning $.10 an hour and treated so bad that they want to kill themselves. Whether they're Chinese or Americans, they're human beings. This goes DOUBLE for the United States, since we always want to criticize other countries over human rights....Charity begins AT HOME.

And that goes double for workers in this country....that you NEVER hear about. I've been across this country from end to end and top to bottom so when I see organizations asking for money for starving people in all these foreign countries, I can't help thinking that there are Americans starving RIGHT NOW across this country and you never hear ANYONE trying to help THEM. And I'm not talking about illegal aliens either, I;m talking about plain old average Americans that were barely getting by and as all these factories closed they lost their job (which IMO those type jobs will NEVER come back again).

Oh, and btw-In the end, the televisions, or anything else that appear cheap because it's imported here for practically nothing, WE WIND UP PAYING FOR THE PEOPLE HERE WHO LOST THEIR JOBS THROUGH INCREASED TAXES.

I'm really sorry for the depressing outburst, but it's always on my mind and I just couldn't hold it in any longer.

Hi Techman,

With the resources available there is no excuse for anyone in this world to be starving. As for jobs being outsourced by U.S. companies, blame it on them putting maximum profit ahead of any concern for social responsibility. It's always been that way. So hoping they all get permanent eye-strain watching their 3D tvs.
Joseph Dubin is offline  
post #560 of 2615 Old 05-29-2010, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member
 
techman707's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Florida & New York
Posts: 9,348
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Dubin View Post

Hi Techman,

With the resources available there is no excuse for anyone in this world to be starving. As for jobs being outsourced by U.S. companies, blame it on them putting maximum profit ahead of any concern for social responsibility. It's always been that way. So hoping they all get permanent eye-strain watching their 3D tvs.

You're right, I do blame it on those companies. But at the same time, with all the WASTED MONEY spent by the federal government and the UNFAIR trade playing field, I also blame the government for allowing it. Without the complicity of the federal government, with trade agreements like NAFTA, some of this wouldn't even be possible.

The only eye strain those people will get, is the eye strain that comes from counting too much money for too long a time. It's just that I've watched these things get continually worse over the last 50 years and sometimes wonder what WILL eventually happen. After all, the U.S. is the LARGEST debtor nation in the world, yet, we give away endless billions to other countries (and they hate us anyway). We (or should I say they) have NO CONCEPT of balanced budgets or paying back what's owed. They just keep borrowing and borrowing. You would "think" interest rates would go through the roof, yet, the banks are paying the lowest rates I've seen in my lifetime. What's the secret? They simply PRINT THE MONEY that they pay back with. That has the effect of sneaking into your pockets and stealing your money, since it causes the dollar to keep dropping. Soon it will be confetti, like the German Mark before WW II.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -Ghandi
techman707 is offline  
post #561 of 2615 Old 05-29-2010, 11:35 PM
AVS Special Member
 
fire407's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,527
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by techman707 View Post

You're right, I do blame it on those companies. But at the same time, with all the WASTED MONEY spent by the federal government and the UNFAIR trade playing field, I also blame the government for allowing it. Without the complicity of the federal government, with trade agreements like NAFTA, some of this wouldn't even be possible.

The only eye strain those people will get, is the eye strain that comes from counting too much money for too long a time. It's just that I've watched these things get continually worse over the last 50 years and sometimes wonder what WILL eventually happen. After all, the U.S. is the LARGEST debtor nation in the world, yet, we give away endless billions to other countries (and they hate us anyway). We (or should I say they) have NO CONCEPT of balanced budgets or paying back what's owed. They just keep borrowing and borrowing. You would "think" interest rates would go through the roof, yet, the banks are paying the lowest rates I've seen in my lifetime. What's the secret? They simply PRINT THE MONEY that they pay back with. That has the effect of sneaking into your pockets and stealing your money, since it causes the dollar to keep dropping. Soon it will be confetti, like the German Mark before WW II.

Perhaps a bit off topic. However, I agree with you. I was in Egypt a few years ago and I learned that we give Egypt $2 Billion a year---more than any other nation gives them, but they don't like us because of our support of Israel. I wasn't sure I believed it until I read this.
http://vitalsignsblog.blogspot.com/2...ore-money.html
fire407 is offline  
post #562 of 2615 Old 05-30-2010, 12:06 AM
AVS Special Member
 
techman707's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Florida & New York
Posts: 9,348
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by fire407 View Post

Perhaps a bit off topic. However, I agree with you. I was in Egypt a few years ago and I learned that we give Egypt $2 Billion a year---more than any other nation gives them, but they don't like us because of our support of Israel. I wasn't sure I believed it until I read this.
http://vitalsignsblog.blogspot.com/2...ore-money.html


That was a perfect description in that article:"The U.S. is the enabling spouse in a really bad marriage. She gets disrespected and scorned, beat up, cheated on and in various other ways terribly abused. But then she's expected to bring out her purse and pay for her scoundrel's next round of fun."

However, I think using Egypt is a bad example. When compared to some other countries that we give money to (and it seems like practically every country in the world gets our money), they make Egypt look like our best friend.

Most people in the U.S. don't have a clue where their money is going, I think if they really understood what was happening with their money (tax dollars), there would probably be a revolution.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -Ghandi
techman707 is offline  
post #563 of 2615 Old 05-30-2010, 04:45 AM
AVS Special Member
 
p5browne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Sudbury, Ontario, CANADA
Posts: 3,870
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 190
For several years now, the main Electronics distributors, have tried to maintain an artifically high retail price by threatening retailers with a lack of supply if they discounted past a certain price point. Case in point the Sony BDP-S1000ES was listing in the US at $699, yet across the border, here in Canada, they were selling the same unit (called BDP-S760) at $399. In the US, the LG 55LH90 was being discounted to around $1999, while here in Canada, it was retailing at $3899, with a wholesale price of $3350. It wasn't until this recession came about, plus the advent of the 3D and full warehouses, that all of a sudden Electronic prices started to fall. Yes, they may be using off shore, cheaper labour, but Head Offices in both our countries, plus I assume the rest of the world, were raking in the profits because of their pricing structure. Don't blame the consumer - blame the advertising industry who blatantly pushed the slogan `I want it Cheaper!' Back when I was a young boy, products were made in North America, retailers sold their wares with a 35 to 40% mark up, and consumers purchased based on quality, rather than price!
p5browne is offline  
post #564 of 2615 Old 05-30-2010, 05:14 AM
AVS Special Member
 
techman707's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Florida & New York
Posts: 9,348
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post

For several years now, the main Electronics distributors, have tried to maintain an artificially high retail price by threatening retailers with a lack of supply if they discounted past a certain price point. Case in point the Sony BDP-S1000ES was listing in the US at $699, yet across the border, here in Canada, they were selling the same unit (called BDP-S760) at $399. In the US, the LG 55LH90 was being discounted to around $1999, while here in Canada, it was retailing at $3899, with a wholesale price of $3350. It wasn't until this recession came about, plus the advent of the 3D and full warehouses, that all of a sudden Electronic prices started to fall. Yes, they may be using off shore, cheaper labour, but Head Offices in both our countries, plus I assume the rest of the world, were raking in the profits because of their pricing structure. Don't blame the consumer - blame the advertising industry who blatantly pushed the slogan `I want it Cheaper!' Back when I was a young boy, products were made in North America, retailers sold their wares with a 35 to 40% mark up, and consumers purchased based on quality, rather than price!

Whoever is to blame and no matter WHAT the pricing structure is here in North America, the poor exploited workers in these foreign countries are STILL working for practically nothing. It's STILL the government that has caused and/or allowed all this to happen. I'd rather pay a little more money and see all this equipment manufactured here. In the long run it would be cheaper to have all these people here working in manufacturing jobs and earning a living, instead of having to pay them unemployment insurance and all kinds of other benefits that causes taxes to go up.

The BIGGEST joke is when you buy something and call the manufacturer for support and find that you're talking to someone in India, who doesn't have a clue what you're talking about.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -Ghandi
techman707 is offline  
post #565 of 2615 Old 05-30-2010, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member
 
p5browne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Sudbury, Ontario, CANADA
Posts: 3,870
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by techman707 View Post

Whoever is to blame and no matter WHAT the pricing structure is here in North America, the poor exploited workers in these foreign countries are STILL working for practically nothing. It's STILL the government that has caused and/or allowed all this to happen. I'd rather pay a little more money and see all this equipment manufactured here. In the long run it would be cheaper to have all these people here working in manufacturing jobs and earning a living, instead of having to pay them unemployment insurance and all kinds of other benefits that causes taxes to go up.

The BIGGEST joke is when you buy something and call the manufacturer for support and find that you're talking to someone in India, who doesn't have a clue what you're talking about.

And when you go out to purchase something, do you not look at the adverts, peruse online and check various other venues, to see who has the best price?
Like I said, we have now been brain washed to `I want it cheaper!' How often do we hear the Walmart ads - `We're rolling back Prices Again!' How many, throughout this 3D Forum stated, `Prices for 3D are too high right now. I'll wait for the prices to come down!' How many people do you know, decide on purchasing `Item A', just drive down to the nearest store and buy it, no matter what the price is? Not too many!
p5browne is offline  
post #566 of 2615 Old 05-30-2010, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mx6bfast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Delray Beach, FL
Posts: 6,891
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by techman707 View Post

Whoever is to blame and no matter WHAT the pricing structure is here in North America, the poor exploited workers in these foreign countries are STILL working for practically nothing. It's STILL the government that has caused and/or allowed all this to happen. I'd rather pay a little more money and see all this equipment manufactured here. In the long run it would be cheaper to have all these people here working in manufacturing jobs and earning a living, instead of having to pay them unemployment insurance and all kinds of other benefits that causes taxes to go up.

I don't care how much the people are making, be it $.10 or $10/hour, who make my tv as long as it's not defective I am happy.

However, I'm not going to buy a 3D HDTV later this year if the prices are still as wide as they are today with a "regular" HDTV and a 3D. I might if there is a $100 price difference and they throw in a few pair of glasses. But I don't expect that to happen.

HEY, you viewing dumbasses!

NOW!
NEW!
ALL NEW!

(insert name of show here)
NEXT!
8/9 PM ET
TUESDAY!
NEXT WEEK!
IN 2 WEEKS!



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
mx6bfast is offline  
post #567 of 2615 Old 05-30-2010, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member
 
techman707's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Florida & New York
Posts: 9,348
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by mx6bfast View Post

I don't care how much the people are making, be it $.10 or $10/hour, who make my tv as long as it's not defective I am happy.

I agree that a TV shouldn't be defective, whether the workers make $.10 or $10/hour. However, where it is made and how much the worker makes affects you more than you might realize.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -Ghandi
techman707 is offline  
post #568 of 2615 Old 05-30-2010, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member
 
techman707's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Florida & New York
Posts: 9,348
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post

And when you go out to purchase something, do you not look at the adverts, peruse online and check various other venues, to see who has the best price?

GUILTY !....with an explanation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post

Like I said, we have now been brain washed to `I want it cheaper!' How often do we hear the Walmart ads - `We're rolling back Prices Again!' How many, throughout this 3D Forum stated, `Prices for 3D are too high right now. I'll wait for the prices to come down!' How many people do you know, decide on purchasing `Item A', just drive down to the nearest store and buy it, no matter what the price is? Not too many!

Naturally, I, like everyone else want to buy WHATEVER I'm buying at the best price, that's only normal. But it's just like Home Depot and Walmart moving into an area. When Home Depot first came on the scene they quickly undercut the local hardware stores and lumber yards. Today, all the mom and pop hardware stores are gone and you can no longer find many lumber yards, if you can find any at all. In the meantime, after destroying the competition they have continually upped their prices. So not only do we pay higher prices, we no longer have the convenience of local stores, which in many cases change the whole character of a neighborhood (like when small local movie theatres started to close).

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -Ghandi
techman707 is offline  
post #569 of 2615 Old 05-30-2010, 09:32 AM
Advanced Member
 
Ghpr13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Fairdale,KY
Posts: 815
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by techman707 View Post

Whoever is to blame and no matter WHAT the pricing structure is here in North America, the poor exploited workers in these foreign countries are STILL working for practically nothing. It's STILL the government that has caused and/or allowed all this to happen. I'd rather pay a little more money and see all this equipment manufactured here. In the long run it would be cheaper to have all these people here working in manufacturing jobs and earning a living, instead of having to pay them unemployment insurance and all kinds of other benefits that causes taxes to go up.

The BIGGEST joke is when you buy something and call the manufacturer for support and find that you're talking to someone in India, who doesn't have a clue what you're talking about.

I agree with you on many of your points, but the problem comes in trying to purchase things you want that are made in America anymore. I bought a ZT computer just a few months ago. Now ZT is a brand that most people never heard of, including me, but they've been in business for around 15 years and are just getting into consumer PCs. Their headquarters is in New Jersey, and all PCs are assemble there from overseas parts. Still they give a 2 year warranty with each PC and lifetime tech support. Total price was about $800 w/o a monitor, but to me it was worth it for all the was in it.

When you get into audio/video components, unless you want to pay top dollar, like for a McIntosh amp*, try to find an American built unit.

*After searching Google for McIntosh, it appears they are now own by a company in Japan.

Ghpr13

Info=Knowledge=Understanding=Better TV!
I see dead pixels!
Ghpr13 is offline  
post #570 of 2615 Old 05-30-2010, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member
 
techman707's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Florida & New York
Posts: 9,348
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghpr13 View Post

I agree with you on many of your points, but the problem comes in trying to purchase things you want that are made in America anymore. I bought a ZT computer just a few months ago. Now ZT is a brand that most people never heard of, including me, but they've been in business for around 15 years and are just getting into consumer PCs. Their headquarters is in New Jersey, and all PCs are assemble there from overseas parts. Still they give a 2 year warranty with each PC and lifetime tech support. Total price was about $800 w/o a monitor, but to me it was worth it for all the was in it.

When you get into audio/video components, unless you want to pay top dollar, like for a McIntosh amp*, try to find an American built unit.

*After searching Google for McIntosh, it appears they are now own by a company in Japan.

Ghpr13

That's the problem, there really is nothing you can buy that's "made in USA". I'm not suggesting to buy ANY piece of junk just because it says made in USA.

Unfortunately, the horse is already out of the barn, it's been ongoing for many years now. It's TOO LATE for slogans like "Buy American". This is something that can only be addressed by the government (and not by throwing money at it). Hey, for people that like to keep starting wars, someday they're going to find that since we make nothing here anymore, we won't have the manufacturing facilities to build the things we need to "win". Oh well, we can always beg Sony for help.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -Ghandi
techman707 is offline  
Reply Community News & Polls

Tags
Polls

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off