Can only happen if we have standards! 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 2615 Old 05-15-2010, 05:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hopefully a fad for most of the decade. I'm sick & tired of the movie and CE industries advancing their entire R&D expenditure to consumers by selling half-baked products.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 2615 Old 05-15-2010, 05:15 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perpendicular View Post

Stop it!
It hurts my eyes!!

I voted Fad.
They need to keep 3-D in theaters and out of the home until the technology gets better and to where one doesn't need glasses to view.

+1000% I voted Fad. Till no glasses are needed. Not for me. Then don't forget New Player, New AVR and New TV, the industry wants more than your pocket change and they want more sales. I'm all for upgrading and new technology but only when there is something to gain from it. This is another HD ready that does not do 1080p and many will be caught out.
best wishes, Rick
post #93 of 2615 Old 05-15-2010, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-not-k View Post

What defines "senior"?.

I'm 47. I saw (part of) Monsters vs. Aliens at a store. Looked cool, but I just bought a new 52" TV 6 months ago and I'm not upgrading just for 3D.

I voted "Needs Standards", but I think it's a fad also. Heck, there's only one other person in my office of 140 that has a Blu-ray player. I see 3D catching on even less.

Of course, 3D will become the new 1080p; meaning all sets will have it, sooner rather than later. I just don't think most folks (who have Blu-ray) will upgrade the rest of their gear for 3D, and I don't think people shopping for just a TV will get all the necessary gear for home 3D at the same time.

From what I have seen in person I would say 50 and over. But of course there are exceptions. My work has 5 guys over 60 and they do not even like computers, and will not even learn how to use them.
I do not see 3d as a reason to buy a TV just as a nice bonus. Heck I am sure most people do not hook there tvs up to the internet to use half of the stupid widgets that are now forced upon us, yet nobody complains about them.
Netflix is rammed down my throat on no less then 4 devices in my house. That my friends is a monthly fee, not like the free 3d (for now) that directv will give me in a month or so.
post #94 of 2615 Old 05-15-2010, 05:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 89
Fad! It won't last. I think gamers will have more fun with it. Not videophiles or film connoisseurs. I read a review in HT magazine saying you have to sit dead center 6 feet away from the screen to be immersed with the 3D effect. Which means nobody in the house gets a sweet spot accept one person. 3D won't work for every movie. Just like you can't put ketchup on everything.

Panasonic TC-P50ST60 plasma HD television, Onkyo TX-SR805 and PIONEER ELITE VSX-47TX receivers, Klipsch RB-75(2 pair) and RB-61 bookshelf speakers, Klipsch RSW-10, RSW-12(2), Velodyne HGS-12, HGS-18 subwoofers, PS3 80G, PIONEER DV-525 dvd player, Klipsch RS-42 surrounds, Klipsch RC-52 center channel
post #95 of 2615 Old 05-15-2010, 05:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Its here to stay, but I could care less about watching movies in 3D.
post #96 of 2615 Old 05-15-2010, 06:02 AM

it's here to stay. it will go through some iterations, tweaks and platform wars but it will stay. however, i don't see it becoming the predominant technology. I see 3d and 2d sharing the market together.
post #97 of 2615 Old 05-15-2010, 06:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 307
We have standards. So to me the poll results for choices two and three need to be added together.

3d souce material will determine the results. 3D cable and sat, live sports. That`swhat will be different this time.

Glassless will not happen for multiple viewers. Better to spend your time on eye exercises learning to blink left and right eyes independently and quickl, then you can eliminate the need to wear glasses.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #98 of 2615 Old 05-15-2010, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemiza View Post

I read a review in HT magazine saying you have to sit dead center 6 feet away from the screen to be immersed with the 3D effect. Which means nobody in the house gets a sweet spot accept one person. 3D won't work for every movie. Just like you can't put ketchup on everything.

Again another person misinformed. On some of the samsung lcds that is the case, not for the panasonics.
post #99 of 2615 Old 05-15-2010, 06:34 AM

Liked: 11
It's a fad.... like Color TV or HD.
post #100 of 2615 Old 05-15-2010, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemiza View Post

Fad! It won't last. I think gamers will have more fun with it. Not videophiles or film connoisseurs. I read a review in HT magazine saying you have to sit dead center 6 feet away from the screen to be immersed with the 3D effect. Which means nobody in the house gets a sweet spot accept one person. 3D won't work for every movie. Just like you can't put ketchup on everything.

I SECOND THIS... After spending some time with a SAMSUNG (but it is one of the Main Competitors) in Best Buy this is what I saw:
  • There is a Definite sweet spot in terms of distance: Closer and the images dont overlay properly causing disorientation/nausea...just plain annoying. Off angle, saaaame. I had to tell the best buy guys they had to back up the couch in the demo room!!!

Constant fiddling with the glasses..ie you need to find the right "angle" on your face to get the right effect..noticed this at IMAX as well

THe Worst: You really lose a lot of the really HIGHDEF sharpness we've come to love!!! ie all of these image crossover(tech: BLAH BLAH BLAH) seems to make the image only sharp for a second or two while nothing's moving Avatar at IMAX was beautiful but the image was "washy" like a watercolor for the most part...

For me I am looking forward to seeing Avatar in FULL detail so I can appreciate the CGI mastery in 2D BLURAY!!!!

As for having a large cardboard box at your front door with a sign " Please leave your 3D Glasses before leaving!"... Just silly

LOL
post #101 of 2615 Old 05-15-2010, 06:58 AM

You know,i remember "3d",where i watch i shrunk the audience at disneyland. That was fun to watch. and i have to agree 3d should stay away from home cinemas until they get it right,and 3d should stay in theaters. !
post #102 of 2615 Old 05-15-2010, 06:58 AM

Fad. I've seen Avatar in 3D in the theater. I can remember that it was the vibrant color that stood out and not the 3D. The glasses are a pain and my kids would destroy them or they'd get lost. I have blu-ray, 58" 1080p (plasma), and surround sound; only HDMI cables. I'd love 3D if it was just there and I could push a button to turn it on or off. It would have to just be free and easy for me to consider even watching it. It's got no real WOW effect in my opinion. Dynamic surround sound means way more to a movie than 3D. It's not a reason to upgrade from your existing 1080p set. The TV you buy may have that feature, but I'd say it shouldn't be THE reason. I'd suggest getting a bigger TV if you want more presence. My TV is perfect for me. You simply can't use 3D right now. None of your movies support it.
post #103 of 2615 Old 05-15-2010, 07:02 AM
Advanced Member

For the most part people will buy whatever they think other people are wanting and buying. So as long as the marketing keeps hyping it and telling us how great it is then people will want it. It's here to stay.

The 101 is soooo very nice!!!
post #104 of 2615 Old 05-15-2010, 07:15 AM

I voted fad, and I hope its a fad. It kills my eyes!

Kirk
post #105 of 2615 Old 05-15-2010, 07:16 AM

Tough to vote for me because I think its both..

1. I think for the lounge it will be fad that will probably not work because you need a very big screen to recreate the full 3D immersion and also would think you need proper aligned central seating positions for everyone too.

2. But for a dedicated HT room and projectors if its only a small premium and there is enough content I think it might find a home there.
post #106 of 2615 Old 05-15-2010, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
I voted fad..are you kidding me!!...people are still asking "is there really a difference between blu-ray and regular DVD's"..or I get "what's a firmware upgrade?"..."I just want to put a movie in and push play"
So Blu-ray is still very new to people and now 3-D is being shoved down people's throats!!
Not until you can put in a disk and see 3-D without glasses for about 100-150 bucks a setup, will it really take off.
post #107 of 2615 Old 05-15-2010, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Can't wait to try the 3D Channels

Let this baby grow

My mom works for Sony, and she brought home a copy of "Starhawk BETA"
I quickly slipped it into my trusty PS3, and started playing.

GOOZEX Game/Movie Exchange
post #108 of 2615 Old 05-15-2010, 07:22 AM

its a fad
post #109 of 2615 Old 05-15-2010, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 85
I voted fad. Biggest problem is the electronics companies either planned poorly, or got greedy, in making everyone invest in new TV hardware among other things. After upgrading over the last 12 months to accommodate HDMI, Blu-ray and HD programming there's no chance that 3D will make me spend that money again.

If you want to jump in more power to you.

PSN: CrashLanding (please ID requests as AVS)
post #110 of 2615 Old 05-15-2010, 08:24 AM
AVS Club Gold

Just my $0.02, but I can imagine so much more than the current state of the 3D art ex: no glasses necessary for interactive spatial projections. But why stop there...plug into a 360 degree panorama and be there from whatever vantage point you choose. Include neural networking to enable communictions with fellow viewers. With this kind of technology, you don't even need projectors, processors, and speakers!

Yes the early adopters have a new toy unlike any they have had before. I think that when you put current 3D technology into perspective, compared to what it could be, (someday), it hasn't changed a whole lot from what it was in it's infancy. Oh sure, the superficial effect has gotten better but it's still just a superficial effect isn't it? I want it all, total immersion (with a PANICK BUTTON)

Life's a Beach,
or at least it was supposed to be.

My theater in my Wife's house.
DIYer Takes Over Home

post #111 of 2615 Old 05-15-2010, 08:30 AM

Fad until they can do 3D without the glasses, OR the glasses are MUCH cheaper. But, at $200 a pop for the glasses, someone in my family, not to mention any guests, would have to do without. Since the picture is unwatchable without the glasses...im calling fad for now.
post #112 of 2615 Old 05-15-2010, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUJayhawk20659 View Post

Is it me or most of the people that say "fad" and I'll pass are the "senior" members?
I am 36 and love change, however I tend to see the older crowd as being "afraid" to change.
And in that being afraid excuses are made as to why i.e., extra glasses and etc.
I will/am jumping on it and will enjoy the heck out of it as long as it sticks around.

I think it's actually based more on how recently they upgraded their TVs. Those that bought a new expensive set within the last couple of years are most likely expressing sour grapes at the thought of buying a new set, whereas those looking to upgrade anyway are saying 'bring it on'.
post #113 of 2615 Old 05-15-2010, 08:32 AM

I voted fad. I've only seen (1) 3D movie (Alice In Wonderland). My 14 year old daughter and I saw it and yes the 3D effect was entertaining, but both her and I thought the color palette was weak. I thought that once "Alice" fell down the hole and entered Wonderland that the colors would POP but no, I kept looking for my remote so I could turn up the color control! I think that by the time they work out all the "bugs" and equipment prices level off, people will have lost interest. Besides, who really wants to start all over all getting a new TV and 3D player? NOT me!
post #114 of 2615 Old 05-15-2010, 10:52 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlock View Post

I think it's actually based more on how recently they upgraded their TVs. Those that bought a new expensive set within the last couple of years are most likely expressing sour grapes at the thought of buying a new set, whereas those looking to upgrade anyway are saying 'bring it on'.

Exactly. Most of my equipment (except for the Blu-ray player) dates from around the turn of the century. So I'm ready to upgrade and might as well go 3D. There's no good reason to avoid it.

And I'm 20 years older than that whippersnapper KUJayhawk20659 who thinks "seniors" are "afraid" of change.
post #115 of 2615 Old 05-15-2010, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekGirl View Post

History will repeat.

1. Develop a set of standards. No glasses.
2. At least 2 major company groups will form, each touting a different standard. HD-DVD vs. Blu-Ray. Again.
3. They duke it out for about 6 months to a year.
4. The one with the better technical format loses to the one with the best chances of revenue for Hollywood.
5. A couple of good 3-D movies comes out, but it's not enough to justify a huge expense for such little content.
6. They try to remaster a bunch of 2-D movie classics in 3-D as a last-ditch effort to keep the revenue stream going. No one cares because remastering degraded the quality and there was no real added value.
7. Everyone waits until true 3-D sports broadcasting comes out. It fails miserably because there's no advantage to 3-D unless you are at the player's level. At that point, you can't see the big picture and miss the action.

#4: That one's almost guaranteed, I think.

#6. Probably inevitable, if the format hangs around long enough.
post #116 of 2615 Old 05-15-2010, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

I saw Avatar in 3D at my local theater and I was not that impressed. I saw it again in my HT and I was blown away. I won't be jumping on the 3D wagon anytime soon. I will keep an eye out for high end (used or on closeout) projectors when they dump them for the latest fad, 3D.

I want to hear opinions from people who don't have a dog in the fight.
post #117 of 2615 Old 05-15-2010, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I saw Cloudy with A Chance of Meatballs in 3D at the theater. It was fun.

I saw it at home on Blu-ray in 2D. It was equally fun.

If 3D can get some standards going along with sufficient content it may last a while as a niche or semi-niche product. But as said already, you'll be asking people to buy new equipment (TV, player, discs, glasses), and many aren't going to do that. Then, there's the folks who can't watch 3D because it makes them sick or they can't perceive the effect as well, though that's only 4-6% from what I remember.
post #118 of 2615 Old 05-15-2010, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlock View Post

Well personally I am about to be in the market for a new TV and in my mid 30s yet I may or may not get a 3dTV this buying time. If I end up with a 3dTV it will be because its the best fit for me and the 3d is just gravy.

I am typically an early adopter of technology but 3D seems to be half baked and TV content seems to come so slow that in reality it will be 5 years before their is a boatload of content(if there ever is) and by that time it could be time to replace the set I have yet to buy (much less the RPTV I have now that is acting up)

I don't think its a fad in that TV manufactures are going to be looking for all sorts of "nerd knobs" in the future to differentiate their TV from the others on the wall and 3D is a checkbox just like 120MHZ LCD, 1080P, Netflix, LED, LED local dimming, etc. This tech will move down the food chain to upper mid and eventually to lower mid tiers of TVs

You can only make these things so cheap, thin, and bright.. after that you need more gadgets to get people in the door and unfortunately picture quality doesn't seem to matter to the general public.

All that being said, I think if anybody really gets an advantage from this tech it will be the gamers, but it might be the next version of the xbox/playstation that will do anything to really take 3d anywhere and those boxes aren't going to be out for years.
post #119 of 2615 Old 05-15-2010, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bweissman View Post

Exactly. Most of my equipment (except for the Blu-ray player) dates from around the turn of the century. So I'm ready to upgrade and might as well go 3D. There's no good reason to avoid it.

And I'm 20 years older than that whippersnapper KUJayhawk20659 who thinks "seniors" are "afraid" of change.

Good for you old man.......
Now according to our poll you would only fall into the less then 20%, and I bet for your age its less then 2%.
I wish more people were like you
post #120 of 2615 Old 05-15-2010, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Its a fad pushed to keep TV prices up
Reply Community News & Polls

Tags
Polls

User Tag List