post #1261 of 2615 Old 09-25-2010, 01:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacklion View Post

I've never heard any true videophile seriously argue that any flat panel display can achieve the PQ of a properly calibrated high end CRT. TBH, the primary appeal or advantage of plasma and LCD panels is ergonomics and aesthetics - resulting in the crucial Wife Acceptance Factor

The best technology does not always win or prevail. Betamax lost to VHS, HD DVD lost to blu-ray , many people are happy to make do with mp3 even when lossless file formats are available. Fact is, when flat panels came out, most people were delighted to trade PQ for ergonomics and aesthetics.

Yep, you pretty much hit the nail right dead on the head.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1262 of 2615 Old 09-25-2010, 04:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnla View Post

I currently have a Pioneer PRO-520HD Elite RPTV and a Pioneer PRO-111 Elite plasma, both calibrated by myself with CalMAN software. I also have had numerous different Sony direct view CRT's in the past. I also have a few smaller LCD sets right now, one is in the kitchen and one in a bedroom, and I absolutely hate the LCD sets! In fact even with my desktop PC, I still use a 21" CRT! Only my laptops have LCD. Any other questions about actual ownership?

That being said, for comparing the plasma to the RPTV, I like em both. For news and sports and sitcom type TV I kind of prefer the plasma. But for movies, I pretty much prefer the RPTV over the plasma. Do I have them in the same room, no I don't. The plasma is in a every day use living room setup, the RPTV is in a room that is more like a semi dedicated HT setup.

As for the black level tests, showing that the plasmas are still not up to levels that high end CRTs can achieve. I'm not even going to bother to try and look them up, they are out there, just look around. And if you also look, you will see that most of the tests praising the black levels of the Pioneer 9g plasmas, really only say that they had the best measured black level of any plasma set so far, and also that they were better than LCD in that also. In short, most of those "best ever" black level claims that you see in many tests and reviews of the 9g Pioneer Kuros, were in comparison only to what other flat panels measured at. I doubt that even a small percentage of those test/reviews, even had any sort of a CRT set available, let alone a really good one, that they could have measured to see what the old but good, CRT's could still do..

And BTW. Not saying you in particular, but rather for everyone.
Passing judgments as a fact, on how good or bad you think a TV actually is, just based on how they look to you in a retail store like BB or Magnolia, for anything other than only a rough comparison is kind of worthless. Usually comparing them in a environment like that, it only gives you a very basic idea of what a set can really look like. Between the stores lighting, which is more often than not, is a total disaster for any real critical judgments about a TV's actual picture quality. That and the fact that numerous people usually have also totally messed around with all the possible user assessable settings that the TV offers, and usually after they get done or tired of playing around with all the settings, they often don't leave them set in a good way either!

Yes they are still available, but not so easy to find. What there still is, it's pretty much mostly in the very ultra high end class now. But there are also a few people that specialize in re-gunned units w/warranty, on the used market place, that can be much more affordable. But owning a ceiling mount also CRT has it's own little quirks, that a lot of people probably would not put up with.

Oh and BTW. Seeing as you keep thinking 1080p is so superior to 1080i. With high end CRT projections system, that is also one of the rare ways you can get 1080p and not only 1080i. But guess what, with those 1080p capable CRT projectors, most usually recommend to run them at 1080i and not 1080p for the best picture!

If you want some info on whats available in reconditioned ceiling mount CRT Projectors, and also some general info, recommendations and comparisons of different brands and models. Try looking around at curtpalme.com

Oh really, it was not that long ago, that plasma sets used to be many times the price of a CRT based set of a similar size. It was only back in 2006, when first ever 1080p plasma set came out. It was the Pioneer 50inch FHD1, and it originally had a MSRP of $10K, as in ten thousand dollars! Now of course CRT's sets are pretty much history, and prices of the plasma sets have plummeted dramatically.

I really don't care much about how thin something can be made, that does nothing for better picture quality.

Plasma has great viewing angles, LCD's have horrible viewing angles, they certainly are not much better than a RPTV in that regard.

Hmmmm, um no, some of the last few years of HD CRT RPTV's sold, do in fact have digital inputs. And even if they don't, the simple addition of a $100 HDFury takes care of that.

As for 1080p over 1080i, you are pretty much making a big deal out of nothing with that. Very likely you could not tell the difference between the two. And don't even try to say that you can tell the difference when you are using any fixed pixel set, simply because a fixed pixel set can only display 1080p natively. And NO, don't even try to say you have, as upconversion from 1080i to 1080p is not the same thing.

BS, most of that stuff like local dimming for direct view sets, and automatic irises for LCD based projection setups, is done for only one reason, to better/to try and archive the black levels of CRT's. And as for longevity, I still have two old small Sony direct view color CRT's (a 17' & 15") that are probably at least 25 years old by now, and they both still work just fine. That is other than for the fact that also they need a digital channel conversion box if I want to watch anything that's off air.

As for brightness and white levels of LCD sets, no matter if they are LED based or even the more common non LED LCD's. All I can say is, if you like a lot of brightness and fake whites, then it's almost certain that a ISF calibration of your sets, will most likely disappoint you.

Again, you overrate what you think 1080p over 1080i actually brings to the mix.

And personally, I myself don't give a rats derriere about home networking with my TV. That is what actual computers are for! But than again, my MX-531 Escient Fireball along with 5 Sony 400disc DVD megachangers hooked up to it, not to mention the Escients own internal 500gb HD for storing music come very close to doing all that, but without the need for a computer, or even the need for a TV that supports networking.

Oh and BTW, as for 3D. You could do 3D with shutter glasses on CRT sets roughly 10 years ago, but at first it also would not even work with LED or DLP sets, only CRT based sets, later they get it to work with LCD & DLP. How do I know this, well I have owned those shutter glasses, and in the optional wireless version yet, (imagine that, not only shutter glasses ten years ago, but also a wireless option for them) and about a dozen or so 3D DVD's. In those DVD's, it's a wide range. They go from about 7 or 8 different Imax DVD's in 3D, to horror movies like "Camp Blood", "Hunting Season", Zombie Chronicles" all they way down to some really old B&W episodes of "Flash Gorden" and "Radar Men From the Moon" (otherwise know as Commando Cody) in 3D. All of this required nothing special for the TV, but it did require the a trigger box for transmitting the signal to the shutter glasses be placed on the output of the DVD player before it went to the TV. If you used wired shutter glasses, than they had to be plugged into the box. And I have a hunch, that in basic terms, this is pretty much how 3D is now working with the shutter glasses in all the new sets. The difference is, the sets are now also doing something as well.

Here is some info on the older shutter glasses, and also the older IMAX 3D DVD's

http://www.stereo3d.com/3ddvd.htm

http://www.mindflux.com.au/products/io-display/dvd.html

And because of that, the old CRT sets working with shutter glasses so long ago with special DVD's and a trigger box from the DVD player. I have no doubt that a HD CRT could in theory, also probably display Blu-ray 3D in 1080i with no problem, but the CRT with the lack of HDMI 1.4, probably completely kills any chance of it happening.

But I see this as no great loss, at least for me it's not. Because the 3D stuff is fine and fun at first, just like any new toy is. But after the newness wears off, the need for the shutter glasses pretty much kills if for something that would be a everyday use kind of thing.

OK...
Yes... and what LCD's( models) do you own and your thoughts on the full LED sets with local dimming
I would imagine those want to make you throw the standard CCFL sets away..if that is what you have
I can't find anything stating the actual stats on black levels of a CRT vs the 9G Pioneer...only the "blanket" statement from CNET

Next..I most certainly can see the difference in a 1080P vs a 1080i picture on the same set using the same source material

I would also ask you what source material..ie..specific blu ray player and/or other video processing are you using in your assessment

My set up
I have 3 Onkyo units( one pre amp PRSC 885 and two TXSR875 receivers that have Reon video processing chipset in them...I can even see the difference in its upconversion capabilities vs running a inexpensive blu ray player directly to the TV
The Reon chipset is well regarded..I assume you have heard of it?
And I absolutely do not think any upconverted material...from any source looks like 1080P

In fact ..I have tested the Onkyo units in the "through" mode...which supposedly turns off all video processing in the unit

I found out later on that you cannot completely disable all the video processing unless you activate the 24fps video on the blu ray
With that activated...again I can even tell a difference

I also have a Pioneer Elite SC07 receiver....another very good THx ultra rated piece

While it sounds very good next to the Onkyo units..it can't hold a candle to the video processing capabilities
To someone like me who watches all HD programming the chipset is not as important...however those that watch a mixed bag of video have found it quite helpful

My Onkyo units video setting are global across all inputs...as you likely know the next year you were able to tweak video per input as well as they added some isf modes

As far as blu ray...I own( or have owned)...Pioneer BDP51 player. Pioneer elite.BDP-05 Elite blu ray player. Pioneer.BDP-320 blu ray player...as well an assorted Toshiba, Samsung and Insignia units
I bought the Pioneers for video performance and can tell a difference with SD material as well as I enjoy the myriad of video adjustments that can be made with the Pioneer units
I bought the others for streaming capability
And trust me..I have tested about every video combination with players and TV's that you can imagine.

In regard to the Pioneer being the first 1080P in 2006...are you sure about that?

I would imagine if you have a Pioneer elite Plasma ..you would not like an LCD
Though you didn't disclose what LCD you had
That comes down a thing or preference vs quality in my mind and there are pages in this forum where they split hairs over which technology is better

When you get to the high end pieces...the 9G Pioneer of the samsung 8500 from last year...thats splitting hairs
Like comparing the Mercedes S class to the BMW 7 series...people would argue all day long as to which is better...but for anything at that level..its splitting hairs

As far a longevity...that 19" Panasonic that I bought in 1984...I donated it in 2004..it still worked
but who cares...after a certain point

I am certain any TV..I buy..of any platform will likely last much longer than I want to use it
Technology...today is changing much more quickly than it used to

As far as thinness and networking capability...that's fine if you don't want it
As far as I am concerned they are both pluses for many reasons
For example
I used to own a car that didn't have rain sensing windshield wipers...now that I have owned two that have..it would be a hard feature for me to live without

You can't say all LCD's...as a broad statement, have horrible viewing angles
Thats like saying all plasmas use tons of electricity, run hot and have burn in issues

I agree with you that looking at in TV in a showroom can be deceiving
However...watching the same two TV's from the same source material in the same room will give you an idea.....many TV''s..Samsung especially have a store demo mode
Its basically "Vivid"...and whatever changes the person makes to the setting they revert back to Vivid in 20 mins

But...even in a brightly lit showroom...you can tell a sow's ear from a silk purse

And in a brightly lit room with windows...you still can't beat LCD technology

As far as me purchasing a 3D set

frankly I don't see it in 2010...for a few reasons
Not enough material...I want 8-10 channels on Direc TV..or something like that...and more movie availability

Next...if I were replacing the family room TV...I have yet to see one that wowed me as much as the 9G Pioneer Kuro or the Samsung 8500 LED from last year
I looked at the new LG9500 the other day...sale price $3500( retail $4995)....full LED...but it didn't wow me. I actually think I like the Samsung C8000 plasma better
but again..neither one impresses me as much as the pair I liked so much from 2009

And the simulated 2D to 3D mode..no thanks
Like I said before ..just as in my audio..I like the signal to be delivered the way it was encoded

Warren

Rm 1 Samsung 64F8500 Onkyo 5508 prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A amp Atlantic technology System 350 THX Ultra speakers
Rm 2 LG 47LE8500 Pioneer SC37 Celestion 305 speaker system
Rm 3 Samsung 51E8000 Yamaha A2010 Kef 2005.2 speaker system
Rm 4 Panasonic 50ST50 Onkyo 5009/906 Mirage Omni sat speaker system
post #1263 of 2615 Old 09-25-2010, 04:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yep, you pretty much hit the nail right dead on the head.

Well..its all comes down to a matter of taste

For one..If I can buy a much larger screen and fit in it the same, or less space..unless the price is very prohibitive...thats a winning situation for me

Combined with the fact that modern homes have much larger family rooms...Greatrooms..if you will...so larger screens were needed
Add to that the whole "home theater" phenomenon and how that has changed in the last 20 years

Of the Tv's I own because of the configurations of the rooms I could only use a CRT in my bedroom in a cabinet
Years ago..I had a Hitachi RPTV...55"....a rolling piece of furniture. Today I have a cabinet( with tons of storage and shelves) there with a 58" plasma
And in less space...depth wise than just the Hitachi RPTV took up

The HD DVD vs blu ray war was a test of marketing prowess

I honestly can't remember why beta was better than VHS
Though as you may recall beta was around for quite a while simultaneously with VHS..un like HD DVD which was gone relatively quick

Warren

Rm 1 Samsung 64F8500 Onkyo 5508 prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A amp Atlantic technology System 350 THX Ultra speakers
post #1264 of 2615 Old 09-25-2010, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

I've never heard any true videophile seriously argue that any flat panel display can achieve the PQ of a properly calibrated high end CRT. TBH, the primary appeal or advantage of plasma and LCD panels is ergonomics and aesthetics - resulting in the crucial Wife Acceptance Factor

The best technology does not always win or prevail. Betamax lost to VHS, HD DVD lost to blu-ray , many people are happy to make do with mp3 even when lossless file formats are available. Fact is, when flat panels came out, most people were delighted to trade PQ for ergonomics and aesthetics.

Hi Blacklion,

More and more I'm feeling like the "cowardly lion" by not having voiced a firmer opinion about CRT quality like you and Johnia for the sake of not trying to appear as saying "mine is better than yours".

So for the record, while I don't want to come across as putting down what other people own, what one gets in ergomics and picture size has been given up somewhat in terms of picture quality. CRT still has the most natural color, deepest black and contrast ratios producing outstanding detail and depth of any technology around.
The others are excellent in their own right but there is still something about a well callibrated CRT that they haven't caught up to.

.... and now, it's time for Warren
post #1265 of 2615 Old 09-25-2010, 07:08 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Dubin View Post

....and another round of OT musings.

I applaud those who actually have made comment as to the original question, and lament the fact that others have used this thread as a Pulpit to express many OT personal opinions..

Really, the simple Poll would have sufficed (...and a spate of effective Moderation too...)
...although I personally feel the Poll's results are skewed toward those who have made purchases of current 2D displays in good faith and are expressing displeasure and/or distaste over the sudden crush of 3-D Panel displays and the superior 2D imagery they afford. 3-D performance notwithstanding.

Unsubscribing so as not to see my Inbox continue to get such a raft of personal OT back-n-forth.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #1266 of 2615 Old 09-25-2010, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi Blacklion,

More and more I'm feeling like the "cowardly lion" by not having voiced a firmer opinion about CRT quality like you and Johnia for the sake of not trying to appear as saying "mine is better than yours".

So for the record, while I don't want to come across as putting down what other people own, what one gets in ergomics and picture size has been given up somewhat in terms of picture quality. CRT still has the most natural color, deepest black and contrast ratios producing outstanding detail and depth of any technology around.
The others are excellent in their own right but there is still something about a well callibrated CRT that they haven't caught up to.

Joe
Hopefully "the mine is better than yours" is not something that came across from me

I have said many times I do not own what I think is the pinnacle of television quality

Knew that when I purchased the set...and that is apparent to me even more as time has gone by that there is a lot better out there
No question about that...I could list 5 models right now that have better quality than anything I own

However..I can say that for my audio set up as well
Even though I have tweaked and tweaked and spent thousands...all at far below retail....there are Levinsons, Athems and such that are substantially better than mine..to my ears

video is only 50% of the equation to me...the audio ..in a HT theater set-up is equally as important

Warren

post #1267 of 2615 Old 09-25-2010, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post

I applaud those who actually have made comment as to the original question, and lament the fact that others have used this thread as a Pulpit to express many OT personal opinions..

Really, the simple Poll would have sufficed (...and a spate of effective Moderation too...)
...although I personally feel the Poll's results are skewed toward those who have made purchases of current 2D displays in good faith and are expressing displeasure and/or distaste over the sudden crush of 3-D Panel displays and the superior 2D imagery they afford. 3-D performance notwithstanding.

Unsubscribing so as not to see my Inbox continue to get such a raft of personal OT back-n-forth.

LOL...you are right

I always find it amusing that people try to use these forums to defend their personal belongings, speculate unsubstantiated rumors...Samsung Panel lottery....all LED's have flashlighting issues...Panasonic Plasma TV's lose black levels over time or provide long commentary on products they have had no experience with

Warren

post #1268 of 2615 Old 09-25-2010, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post

You are completely right, we all are guilty of getting off the main subject, but at the same time, these offshoot discussions emerged from expanding the dialogue from 3D just being a fad into debates of social behavior, consumerism, marketing, the economy and how 3D video quality would appear on home theater monitors as compared to the movie theater experience - all of which proves that the success or failure of 3D is dependent upon a multitude of complex factors - though it's been stretched out quite a bit.

Joe
post #1269 of 2615 Old 09-25-2010, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnne1 View Post

Joe
Hopefully "the mine is better than yours" is not something that came across from me

Not at all Warren, I was referring to my cautious and sensitive self!

I think we're all past that juvenile stage and adult enough to have a serious exchange of ideas and viewpoints. - only teasing.

Joe
post #1270 of 2615 Old 09-25-2010, 10:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

You are completely right, we all are guilty of getting off the main subject, but at the same time, these offshoot discussions emerged from expanding the dialogue from 3D just being a fad into debates of social behavior, consumerism, marketing, the economy and how 3D video quality would appear on home theater monitors as compared to the movie theater experience - all of which proves that the success or failure of 3D is dependent upon a multitude of complex factors - though it's been stretched out quite a bit.

Joe

Joe, I really don't understand why you need to apologize to an obvious sore loser especially since there has been no objection from the moderators to the discussions on the thread. Now lets get back to 'OT musings' please!

Denon X4000: Yamaha AS500;TS500;CDS300: Pioneer BDP62FD;BDP23FD;DV58AV;DV610: Panasonic DMP-BDT500; Sony BDP-S790; Samsung PS60E6500
post #1271 of 2615 Old 09-25-2010, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Joe, I really don't understand why you need to apologize to an obvious sore loser especially since there has been no objection from the moderators to the discussions on the thread. Now lets get back to 'OT musings' please!

Thanks, Blacklion.

These "OT musings" (I assume everyone means off-topic and not old-timer" ) evolved from my opinion that little over the past five years has been developed in terms of a dramatically improved HD picture to justify consumers replacing what they only purchased just a few years ago. The same principles apply to the addition of 3D (which is what would have to occur with an estimated 70% of families now having at least one HD monitor).

LED lighting, 120/240 hz motion, 100,000:1 contrast ratios, million to one black levels, two million more colors, etc. no doubt improve picture quality a bit but IMHO the benefits of these additions have been way over-exagerated (with Warren and I having a very friendly debate regarding the degree) as selling points by an industry trying to retain the high number of HD monitors sold during what I term as the boom period and not having it flatten out. Warren sees tremendous advances over the past two years but like me, I think the mainstream sees the differences with their older sets as subtle and not night and day compared to those in the stores today.

So now the industry is introducing 3D as another way of trying to get consumers to buy new television sets. I don't argue that 3D is not a nice extra feature to have, even when the prices do go down, but I do contend that for the mainstream, this does not justify the replacement of one set for another. The fact that the cost of a high quality set is more affordable than ever is irrelevant and not a motivation for people to separate themselves from their money. In this economic crisis if nothing else has been learned it's that one needs to be less frivilous with his or her money.

Joe
post #1272 of 2615 Old 09-25-2010, 10:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnne1 View Post

Next..I most certainly can see the difference in a 1080P vs a 1080i picture on the same set using the same source material

And yet again, you fail to get it! No matter what you watch on a fixed pixel 1080p set, everything you watch is in 1080p, no matter what the source is, even if it's 480i, the set converts it to 1080p. A 1080p fixed pixel set has only one native display rate that it can use, and that is 1080p. All you are seeing, is that a certain source is better, you are NOT comparing a display that has both 1080i and 1080p native display capabilities! Or in a case of something being upconverted by a DVD player looking better than another DVD player or the TV's own way of doing it. All that proves is that the upconversion is done better by one player over another, or by a video processor that's either built into a AVR or maybe even a stand lone video processor or than the TV's own way of doing it. The only any of that it proves, is something does a better upconversion than something else. And NONE of that, proves anything at all about a comparison of 1080i vs 1080p as far as a native display rate of a TV!

And yes, I know all about the Reon chipsets. I also have a PR-SC885. And I bypass using it's Reon chipset for any video conversion, in favor of using superior external stand alone video processor, and which does not use a Reon chipset.

And as for local dimming LED LCD sets, no I dislike them just as much as the CFL type sets. LED lighting with or without or local dimming, still don't cure anything else that I hate about LCD. I absolutely will not buy a LCD, other than for a occasional cheap 15"-20" throw away LCD's for use in something like putting on a kitchen wall,. I flat out will never buy any so called high end LCD sets no matter what type they are. Another Plasma yes, if I ever need or want another 50" or 60" flat panel set for any reason, but LCD, I definitely will not!

Oh and BTW... Did I mention, that I pretty much hate LCD TV's?
post #1273 of 2615 Old 09-26-2010, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Oh and BTW... Did I mention, that I pretty much hate LCD TV's?

Never would have suspected it!
post #1274 of 2615 Old 09-27-2010, 09:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 29
Quote:

Its only half the fact. The other fact is that 99% of the population has better PQ with their flat panels then they did with their CRTs. Most had crap TVs before the Flat panel. No one in the real world calibrated or had a high end CRT so Trading PQ is only online discussion and does not even exist in the real world. Videophiles and Audiophiles are a small, small percentage of the mass market (Thankfully too!!!)

I still have a CRT (31"), its crap compared to even my Westy 41" (no its not my only flat pannel, I have 6 other 50" panels in every room, even pool side and a 65" in the family room).

It is not "open-minded" to reject knowledge - Bob Lee
post #1275 of 2615 Old 09-27-2010, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray View Post

Its only half the fact. The other fact is that 99% of the population has better PQ with their flat panels then they did with their CRTs. Most had crap TVs before the Flat panel. No one in the real world calibrated or had a high end CRT so Trading PQ is only online discussion and does not even exist in the real world. Videophiles and Audiophiles are a small, small percentage of the mass market (Thankfully too!!!)

Amen to that!

Even two or three years ago, in it's comparision chart Crutchfeld still said that Plamsa came closest to reproducing a CRT-quality picture. Just because they don't say that now doesn't mean it's still not true - it's just not necessary anymore since there are no CRTs out there to compete with (other than the secondary market).

But again, owners of LCDs, Plasmas, LEDs, DLPs, etc. should not take this to mean what they have is an inferior product, regardless of it being a model from 2011 or 2006 or costing $400 as oppposed to $1,400. They all offer outstandingly beautiful pictures -- it's just that the standard that manufacturers still look up to for achieving the best picture quality they could offer is still that of the CRT.
post #1276 of 2615 Old 09-27-2010, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Well,

It seems that the former CEO of Direct-TV might have voted "fad".

http://www.tvpredictions.com/carey091510.htm

Also attached is what the Sony CEO predicted a year ago.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/35654/Sony...home-next-year

And how many have actually been purchased so far? Just trying to add to the above what many of us tried to point out before - that one should never take seriously rosey predictions made by those with vested interests. Though nobody can guarantee what the future will bring, refer to independent, reputable observers with no conflicts of interest rather than the hype fed for consumer consumption.
post #1277 of 2615 Old 09-30-2010, 02:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Well it looks like George Lucas is going with yet another re-release and money grab, with his Star Wars franchise. By converting all six Star Wars episodes into 3D. But it's going to be awhile before you get to see any of them, because he is doing it over a period of 5 years to do them all, starting 2012 and ending in 2017.

http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/movi...audiences.html
post #1278 of 2615 Old 09-30-2010, 04:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:

Well it looks like George Lucas is going with yet another re-release and money grab, with his Star Wars franchise. By converting all six Star Wars episodes into 3D. But it's going to be awhile before you get to see any of them, because he is doing it over a period of 5 years to do them all, starting 2012 and ending in 2017.

Surprised he hasn't come out with them in Blu-ray yet!
post #1279 of 2615 Old 09-30-2010, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am really surprised that the popularity of 3D in the movie theater is dropping since I never considered the theater experience a fad with the early success it was producing.

Just wondering if this deals less with public euthoria flattening out as it is the public anger aimed at Washington also being aimed at the film industry, with many perceiving (right or wrongly) that 3D is less a new form of entertainment and more an attempt to make more money out of the consuming public during rough economic times. I'm quite confident this is the prevailing attitude of most when it comes to home theater, with so many resenting the consumer electronics industry for planning the release of 3D televisions so soon after they made their purchase of HD monitors and thinking they are gulliable enough to purchase new ones all over again.

Emotion knows no logic but can certainly be quite influential.
post #1280 of 2615 Old 09-30-2010, 11:17 AM

Liked: 10
I really do wonder how many units have sold so far, particularly in comparison to normal HDTVs. I'm in the UK, and Sky are just about to roll out their first all-3D channel. Apparently some sports are actually pretty great in 3D (for example darts), but others (like soccer/football) are less good.

I think the glasses are always going to be a nuisance though. If someone figures out how to make really immersive 3D that doesn't use glasses, they'll have a hit on their hands.
post #1281 of 2615 Old 09-30-2010, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthecityof View Post

I really do wonder how many units have sold so far, particularly in comparison to normal HDTVs. I'm in the UK, and Sky are just about to roll out their first all-3D channel. Apparently some sports are actually pretty great in 3D (for example darts), but others (like soccer/football) are less good.

I think the glasses are always going to be a nuisance though. If someone figures out how to make really immersive 3D that doesn't use glasses, they'll have a hit on their hands.

Here's one answer, at least for those across the pond from the U.S.:

http://www.next-gen.biz/news/uk-3d-t...r-interest-low
post #1282 of 2615 Old 10-08-2010, 01:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post

Surprised he hasn't come out with them in Blu-ray yet!

I would not be surprised if they come out with them on Blu-ray to get a few extra $$ that way for awhile, and then they go for another round of picking up $$$ off the franchise with the 3D release in the theaters.

But I have to wonder, is the viewing public really ever going to be ready for Jar Jar Binks in 3D???

Stormtrooper: Let me see your 3D glasses.

Obiwan: You don't need to see his 3D glasses.

Stormtrooper: We don't need to see his 3D glasses.

Obiwan: These aren't the 3D Effects you're looking for.

Stormtrooper: These aren't the 3D Effects we're looking for.

Obiwan: We may go about our business.

Stormtrooper: You can go about your business.

Obiwan: Thank you

Stormtrooper: Your Wel....hey wait a minute...

Obiwan to Luke: Floor it!!!!!!

All joking aside, scenes like many of light saber battles, the pod race, and the trench bombing run to blow up the Death Star.
All have the potential to be something really great in 3D, if the 3D conversion they use is done right.
post #1283 of 2615 Old 10-08-2010, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi Johnia,

Wonder if the sudden stop of postings is another sign of less interest in 3D? I mean, if the 3D AVS forum goes, does the same go for 3D itself?

There is also another new product that we should keep an eye on because it might face similar problems as with 3D - the new Google-TV that is now being ushered in. It allows one to have full access to the web and interactivity with one's cable box, android, etc. without a PC. Just connect the modem and cable box into the little Google-TV browser and connect that via HDMI directly to the monitor and all in 1080p (i.e, an advanced Webtv).

What the similarity might be is that the box can be purchased by itself of, if one wants, they can buy a new Sony HD (and probably other brands down the road) that comes with the browser built in. I don't know if consumers looking for a new HD set will buy a more expensive monitor just for that feature, especially when Logitech puts out the box for just $300. I've already pre-ordered mine.
post #1284 of 2615 Old 10-08-2010, 08:13 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Well let's see.

A drop off in posts on a Thread asking if "3D Television is here to Stay or a Fad" could mean there is a lack of interest in 3D in general?

Can anybody really even consider this Thread as being that critical a bellwether?

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #1285 of 2615 Old 10-08-2010, 09:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Anyone see this: http://www.manufacturing.net/News/20...s-Free-3-D-TV/

In space, no one can hear you scream . . .
post #1286 of 2615 Old 10-09-2010, 01:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post

Anyone see this: http://www.manufacturing.net/News/20...s-Free-3-D-TV/

And got hammered:

http://www.tvpredictions.com/3dglasses100510.htm

3D will remain fad tech until it can be done right. Even Panasonic is advertising their 3D line as the best 2D set out!

8/30/2013 - Time Warner Liberation Day!
post #1287 of 2615 Old 10-09-2010, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenJF3 View Post

And got hammered:

http://www.tvpredictions.com/3dglasses100510.htm

3D will remain fad tech until it can be done right. Even Panasonic is advertising their 3D line as the best 2D set out!

Even if 3D is done right, conditions being what they are, I still believe consumers are not going to rush out and buy a new set if they otherwise don't need to. With most quite satisified with the HD monitors they currently own, the industry would have been wiser to develop an add-on accessory instead. That type of accessory has already been developed before so I'm willing to bet that it can be refined to work with the technology being developed today.

This could be seen as an entirely new and exciting product to enhance what one already has, similiar to the impact that DVD, Atari and the VCR all had in the past, when none of those products required one to buy a new television set. It would be adding to what one already has, not replacing it. I know I would be interested and I doubt people would be upset about having to wear glasses, either.
post #1288 of 2615 Old 10-09-2010, 08:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Even if 3D is done right, conditions being what they are, I still believe consumers are not going to rush out and buy a new set if they otherwise don't need to. With most quite satisified with the HD monitors they currently own, the industry would have been wiser to develop an add-on accessory instead. That type of accessory has already been developed before so I'm willing to bet that it can be refined to work with the technology being developed today.

This could be seen as an entirely new and exciting product to enhance what one already has, similiar to the impact that DVD, Atari and the VCR all had in the past, when none of those products required one to buy a new television set. It would be adding to what one already has, not replacing it. I know I would be interested and I doubt people would be upset about having to wear glasses, either.

I can agree with that - why not make it so one could use cheap polarized glasses like at the movies? Sure, not every set would be compatible, but many would.

post #1289 of 2615 Old 10-09-2010, 09:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenJF3 View Post

I can agree with that - why not make it so one could use cheap polarized glasses like at the movies? Sure, not every set would be compatible, but many would.

Of course. An uneducated guess is that something can be modified from the technique used for the movie theater experience. We know that standard 2D sets work in a crude way with DVDs like "Journey To The Center Of The Earth" and "Polar Express". Even if the initial quality is not as good as the movie theater or the first generation 3D set, if improved over the years consumers wouldn't be hesistant to replace a much less expensive component for something with better quality (as we've seen with upconverted DVD players and bluray).

We don't know how much profit there is regarding the sale of a 3D television set but, in theory, one would think more revenue could be generated by the tremendously larger number of consumers purchasing accessory units as opposed to the limited number buying new 3D sets.

Unless our hunches are wrong and it really is not possible at this time to incorporate good 3D quality with the sets we currently own, I think the industry blew it this time.
post #1290 of 2615 Old 10-09-2010, 11:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, I just bought a 65" Plasma not too long ago (June). I went with a THX V10 for many reasons. The 3D equivelent was twice the cost and to benefit from the 3D I'd have to purchase glasses for others in the household as well as a 3D Blu-Ray Player. For me, the cost was just prohibitive for what I would get. I had Lasik earlier in the year so I DON'T have to wear glasses anymore! Why would I want to wear them watching TV now?

Yes, maybe someday 3D will be a hit - but not anytime soon. The industry screwed the pooch on their timing. Just as HDTV penetration was hitting it's stride, they go and basically try to tell the consumer market that what they just bought is already obsolete and they now need a 3D set.

Reply Community News & Polls

Tags
Polls

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page