Can only happen if we have standards! 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #2521 of 2615 Old 04-16-2012, 10:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I am a big fan of 3D. However, it was going to be several years before I could justify a 3D TV purchase, but, my hand was forced a bit when the DLP chip went out on my 2D set. So now I have a new 3D DLP. I love it. In my opinion if anything kills 3D, it's going to be the lack of good 3D content. I have a little rant about that:

The first thing I did after getting my new set and some glasses is search the web for the BEST content to show off the 3D effects. The movie that everyone seems to agree on that has the best quality (and quantity) of 3D pop out is: Sammy's Adventures. It is only available in Region A as an overpriced import from Hong Kong. The official US release on blu-ray is 2D only. That is crazy!

The best overall 3D movie (factoring in the actual quality of the movie itself) is Avatar. Also not available in 3D even though the Panasonic exclusive deal expired in February. Even crazier!

I do own some 3D blu-rays, but for the most part, in an attempt to keep the non-3D fans from getting too many headaches, etc. They have reduced the depth of field to the point where there is not enough 3D effect to even warrant the expense or trouble of watching it in 3D. The 3D actually detracted from my enjoyment of Thor.

In order to wow myself and my family with what 3D is capable of, I resorted to downloading some amateur videos from YouTube to finally get something to pop out of my TV. That is just sad. BTW, THIS is the most pop-out I have found. It will make you squirm for sure even though the overall production value is very low.

I am not saying I want a paddle-ball or drill bit in my face in every other scene of a legitimate movie, but I would like to see the depth of field to at least be realistic rather than this flattened paper-doll effect most movies end up with. I want an equal amount of content to appear closer than my screen than farther than my screen to achieve a true sense of immersion. The occasional poke-at-your-eyes gimmick is welcome too as long as it's not overused. I think trying to make 3D movies friendlier to people that don't enjoy 3D is kind of killing it for everyone. 3D fans are going to complain there is not enough 3D, and 2D fans are buying/watching in 2D anyway.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2522 of 2615 Old 04-19-2012, 03:01 PM

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseelizabeth36 View Post

This is just a general simple question poll without getting deep into it. What is your thought? Fad, Hype, Got to have Standards?

Well, the poll is closed, and the discussion continues. When the poll was posted two years ago, there may have been more issues with standards. The wording of the poll has been discussed ad nauseam and I think the general consensus was that the added choice about standards just confused the results. My opinion on that is that we have great standards for the 3D content and HDMI 1.4a, etc. The various active and passive implementations don’t hurt standards at all. It is not a big deal if my glasses don’t work at a friend’s house. So I consider standards a non-issue since the actual movies, players, and connecting technology is standardized and works well.

The fad or not part is still relevant. I’d say here we are two years after the poll opened, and the majority of nice TVs do 3D, and there are a lot of 3D blu-rays out now. Some stores now have a 3D section. So I am sticking with my original vote which is “here to stay”. But with the caveat that 3D content needs to be more interesting and immersive or people (including myself) will get bored with it. The expense and hassle of the glasses weighs against the benefits of watching in 3D vs. 2D. With much of the content from Hollywood being so limited in depth it is hard to justify watching in 3D. So I will probably be a little more selective in which movies I buy the 3D edition of. I will try and do some research on which ones have the best 3D. I want 3D to succeed but I don’t want to support the movies that barely add any reason to watch the 3D edition, or in some cases, actually worsen the overall experience because of poorly done 3D. It is also kind of crazy that the best-of-breed 3D is not available for purchase in the USA (see my earlier post for more detail on that).

post #2523 of 2615 Old 04-19-2012, 03:52 PM

Liked: 11
All of these garbage 3d conversions coming out are ridiculous and yes I have a stack of 3d movies and the native 3d movies are excellent in 3d of course and the conversions..well I think my 3d creator does a better job at 3d and adding depth than these. I won't pay over $20 for a 3d bluray, especially if it's a conversion. We need more native 3d filmed movies.
post #2524 of 2615 Old 04-19-2012, 03:53 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceh4702 View Post

Just hurts my eyes. Makes me sick to look at it. 3d is ok for the big screen, but I really prefer plain old 2d.

The "zone of comfort" described in 3D comfort studies is wider for close in viewing than it is for viewing at a distance, so you'd technically have less pain on a home TV. I have a 46" 3DTV at the back of my desk which i use for 3D gaming and experience no pain after over 600 hours of use, on top of that, i have my 3D spatial settings so that my eyes are starting straight on a distant scenery. Thats 6.6cm of separation in distant scenery vs. a 1/4 inch maximum in movies like Tron on a 46" TV.
post #2525 of 2615 Old 04-19-2012, 04:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewis3845 View Post

Me and my family love 3d ,but I feel like it should be more for projectors or bigger screens atleast 84 inches because at this size the 3d effect is much,much better than on a smaller tv. I have a 100 inch active 3d dlp projector setup that I paid only $850 for, glasses and everything even the screen and the 3d from 12 foot from the screen is outstanding. The good thing with active 3d dlp is the glasses actually increase the contrast ratio to ink blacks and you have no ghosting or crosstalk because of the superior speed of the dmd chip. The 3d effect from the two seperate eye streams even make the image better than 1080.

Yes, there is certainly a problem with downscaling 3D settings meant for a large theater screen onto your smaller home TV. I am hoping they will use four cameras to capture two different versions in the future.
post #2526 of 2615 Old 04-19-2012, 05:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [KYA]Mega View Post

I do own some 3D blu-rays, but for the most part, in an attempt to keep the non-3D fans from getting too many headaches, etc. They have reduced the depth of field to the point where there is not enough 3D effect to even warrant the expense or trouble of watching it in 3D. The 3D actually detracted from my enjoyment of Thor.

In order to wow myself and my family with what 3D is capable of, I resorted to downloading some amateur videos from YouTube to finally get something to pop out of my TV. That is just sad. BTW, THIS is the most pop-out I have found. It will make you squirm for sure even though the overall production value is very low.

I am not saying I want a paddle-ball or drill bit in my face in every other scene of a legitimate movie, but I would like to see the depth of field to at least be realistic rather than this flattened paper-doll effect most movies end up with. I want an equal amount of content to appear closer than my screen than farther than my screen to achieve a true sense of immersion. The occasional poke-at-your-eyes gimmick is welcome too as long as it's not overused. I think trying to make 3D movies friendlier to people that don't enjoy 3D is kind of killing it for everyone. 3D fans are going to complain there is not enough 3D, and 2D fans are buying/watching in 2D anyway.

I guess Thor was a conversion, that explains the shallow depth. I also am baffled by all of these 3D releases which have such shallow depth to them. I also agree that pop-out is an under-rated effect. I have over 600 hours of gaming in 3D now and its on a 46" 3DTV at the back of my desk, just under a meter away. That means the the game world in an immersive game extends from right in front of me to [perceived] infinity, more or less. Thats like having pop-out that extents to a meter away from you throughout an entire movie. When i think of a million scenes similar to the scene in the original Alien where you have the detailed cockpit design, its a little sad that we can't have those scene laid out right in front of us, even though it is possible right now. Part of the problem there field of view, as you don't want popout to touch the sides of the screen apparently, so hopefully IMAX will create a trend for bigger screens.
post #2527 of 2615 Old 04-23-2012, 01:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goingpoor View Post

Hey Thanks for the hard reserch but you might want to double check some of those prices...

Here are some of the most popular 3d HDTV that sell

Plasama:

Panasonic VIERA 50" TCP50UT50 3D 1080P 600hz $999.99

Panasonic VIERA 55" TCP55GT31 3D 1080P 600hz $1599.99
(Comes with avatar, 2 pairs of glasses Skype Camera)

Samsung 59" PN59D550C1 3D 1080P 600Hz $1399.99
(comes with 2 pair of glasses)

Samsung 51" PN51D550C1 3D 1080P 600HZ $899.99
(comes with 2 pairs of glasses )

These are some examples Im not gonna post LCD As there prices are around the same.. but its an average of $150-$200 to get a HDTV with 3D over a non one and alot of the 3D Tv's throw in free stuff..

its more of a option I guess today.. I can take it or leave it..

you have a mix of 2011 and 2012 models there

keep in mind that most of the time...especially on the higher models you can buy FAR below MSRP...check out say the Panasonic 65VT30..look at its MSRP and then look at what they are actually selling in BB...and frankly you can easily beat BB's price on an internet purchase

People quote MSRP in this forum on TV's and many times its not even close to actual transaction pricing. There are websites etc...such as slick deals that have price tracking threads.TV 's are listed by models( and sometimes type of technology) and the actual transaction prices are posted that are paid by people throughout the year

For example I just bought a Samsung 64"(D8000) plasma two weeks ago that is a size larger and 4 models above the 59D550 you mentioned in your post...for LESS that the MSRP of the 59D550

You might want to..or anyone actually.. correlate the picture quality..from one of the published TV raters ..CNET etc

They are now rating 3D picture quality as well the 2D in many cases..it can vary as well

Some like Passive 3D, over active...I am still not completely sold
The best picture quality TV's (2D) use active

I think Panasonic is supposed to have Passive 3D this year in an LED TV..it seems that TV is using and LG panel so the passive 3D makes sense

Warren

Rm 1 Samsung 64F8500 Onkyo 5508 prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A amp Atlantic technology System 350 THX Ultra speakers
Rm 2 LG 47LE8500 Pioneer SC37 Celestion 305 speaker system
Rm 3 Samsung 51E8000 Yamaha A2010 Kef 2005.2 speaker system
Rm 4 Panasonic 50ST50 Onkyo 5009/906 Mirage Omni sat speaker system
post #2528 of 2615 Old 10-31-2012, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Know it's been months but hate to say it that many of us were right.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/28/3d-tvs-worth-us_n_1922464.html
post #2529 of 2615 Old 10-31-2012, 07:48 AM

When they come out with Holographic tvs or the technology to implement it on mass scale is when you will find that entertainment will change.

Take something like this
http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/694211/
post #2530 of 2615 Old 10-31-2012, 08:26 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Dubin View Post

Your continued bias is showing.

The article only repeats a few factoids that have been prevalent since day one (...percentage of viewers adversely affected -6%-, lack of programming choices, resistance of Broadcasters / Advertisers to invest while viewer numbers are low....etc. And there were one...maybe two comments about someone being under-impressed...and the only one that really stated such had only viewed a "Trailer". rolleyes.gif

Much of what was offered was outdated rehashed material. Sales of 3D TVs and PJs continue to increase....not stagnate or decrease. Content is becoming more varied. Quality and "3D Stand-off -ism" is more pronounced, and the drastic increases in Contrast and Brightness on all types of 3D displays is only fueling a greater demand due to such improvement in the 3D viewing experience.

Let me share something you won't see in print.

I just finished up a 24 Day long Home Show where over 35k individuals trooped through a Theater I was showing. Easily more that 50% asked about 3D (...although my PJ was 3d capable I was not showing any because of "Glasses logistics".) These inquiries were coming from people from all walks of life....every conceivable level of awareness....yet all were interested in 3D and it's availability. I gotta tell ya all...I spent a lot of time discussing 3D. cool.gif

All this "negatory" rigamarole on this thread coming from naysayers is based on just a few personal opinions and a concerted and continued effort to keep making the same point over and over again....and always the info provided to support such is "old news". Basically, any thread with a title such as this one merely invites criticism. And a lot of simple speculation and personal opinions. The future of 3D is ripe with promise....albeit it will take a longer lead-in time than did the acceptance of Hi-Fi VCRs, DVD's, HDTVs, and even Multi-Channel audio. All of which I have had the privilege to see come of age in their own time over the 35 years of my own involvement in A/V. And each and everyone of then has exactly the same type of individuals try to naysay them out of relevancy....and of course....those efforts were futile.

Be it a case of the "Have / Have nots"...Sour Grape-ists...or just disdainful non-believers, those who suffer from such myopic vision have always had to accept the inevitable. They were wrong.

Fad or here to Stay? 3D is here and it won't be going away. Did it deserve "Fad" status? At first...with those who "Had to get them one 'o 'dose"...certainly....but that is just the way all things new start out. Will it be adopted en-mass as quickly as Snuggies? No. Will it continue to develop and progress into a mainstream item the "majority" will eventually embrace? Absolutely...at least in one form or another.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #2531 of 2615 Old 10-31-2012, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post

Your continued bias is showing.
The article only repeats a few factoids that have been prevalent since day one (...percentage of viewers adversely affected -6%-, lack of programming choices, resistance of Broadcasters / Advertisers to invest while viewer numbers are low....etc. And there were one...maybe two comments about someone being under-impressed...and the only one that really stated such had only viewed a "Trailer". rolleyes.gif
Much of what was offered was outdated rehashed material. Sales of 3D TVs and PJs continue to increase....not stagnate or decrease. Content is becoming more varied. Quality and "3D Stand-off -ism" is more pronounced, and the drastic increases in Contrast and Brightness on all types of 3D displays is only fueling a greater demand due to such improvement in the 3D viewing experience.
Let me share something you won't see in print.
I just finished up a 24 Day long Home Show where over 35k individuals trooped through a Theater I was showing. Easily more that 50% asked about 3D (...although my PJ was 3d capable I was not showing any because of "Glasses logistics".) These inquiries were coming from people from all walks of life....every conceivable level of awareness....yet all were interested in 3D and it's availability. I gotta tell ya all...I spent a lot of time discussing 3D. cool.gif
All this "negatory" rigamarole on this thread coming from naysayers is based on just a few personal opinions and a concerted and continued effort to keep making the same point over and over again....and always the info provided to support such is "old news". Basically, any thread with a title such as this one merely invites criticism. And a lot of simple speculation and personal opinions. The future of 3D is ripe with promise....albeit it will take a longer lead-in time than did the acceptance of Hi-Fi VCRs, DVD's, HDTVs, and even Multi-Channel audio. All of which I have had the privilege to see come of age in their own time over the 35 years of my own involvement in A/V. And each and everyone of then has exactly the same type of individuals try to naysay them out of relevancy....and of course....those efforts were futile.
Be it a case of the "Have / Have nots"...Sour Grape-ists...or just disdainful non-believers, those who suffer from such myopic vision have always had to accept the inevitable. They were wrong.
Fad or here to Stay? 3D is here and it won't be going away. Did it deserve "Fad" status? At first...with those who "Had to get them one 'o 'dose"...certainly....but that is just the way all things new start out. Will it be adopted en-mass as quickly as Snuggies? No. Will it continue to develop and progress into a mainstream item the "majority" will eventually embrace? Absolutely...at least in one form or another.

The lack of consumer interest, the decreased television content, the industry saying consumers multi-task when watching television, even video games being cut back...., those aren't predictions anymore but facts.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/major-product-flops-in-2012.html
http://www.tvpredictions.com/sony100812.htm

Now I still like the idea of 3D personally, but felt at the time it was not going to take off in the home due to so many reasons, especially because few were going to dump the HD sets they had already purchased.
post #2532 of 2615 Old 10-31-2012, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 25
The good thing about stereo hype is falling prices on normal video equipment. 1080p 600 Hz 50-inch plasma for $600? A wifi-enabled Blu-ray player for $100? I am going to buy a new BD player, and it will be a non-3D one.
post #2533 of 2615 Old 10-31-2012, 09:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ungermann View Post

The good thing about stereo hype is falling prices on normal video equipment. 1080p 600 Hz 50-inch plasma for $600? A wifi-enabled Blu-ray player for $100? I am going to buy a new BD player, and it will be a non-3D one.

Yes, price drops all over the place because consumers are just not buying. Good day for those in the market.
post #2534 of 2615 Old 11-01-2012, 04:28 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 59
Quote:

So much depends on how you want to spin the data. Here's negative spin:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffington Post 
Only 2 percent of TVs in the U.S. are able to show 3-D programming, according to the most recent data from research firm IHS Screen Digest. That's about 6.9 million sets out of 331 million. After this year's Christmas buying rush, IHS expects the number of 3-D-capable televisions installed in homes to jump to 19.3 million, mostly because 3-D viewing technology is being built into most new large-screen TVs. But even with the jump, 3-D TVs will amount to less than 6 percent of all sets.

Take the same data and put a positive spin on it:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airion 
Home 3D technology continues to surge as Huff Post and Joseph Dubin report that the number of 3D TVs in US households is expected to increase a whopping 280%, from 6.9 to 19.3 million sets, with aggressive demand over this year's Christmas buying rush.

The truth is probably somewhere in between.
post #2535 of 2615 Old 11-01-2012, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airion View Post

So much depends on how you want to spin the data. Here's negative spin:
Take the same data and put a positive spin on it:
The truth is probably somewhere in between.

Actually, it's the words of those in the industry, not me or the Huffington Post. By this point we were to be more than half way toward that 40 to 50 percent mark of households owning a television equipped with 3D. As the data indicates, it is two percent.

The point many of us were simply trying to make was that those industry projections about consumers wanting 3D in the home weren't credible because they were not scientific but made by inside marketing firms and that it was all simply a sales push. Few of us were passing judgement on 3D for it's entertainment value - we just found the spin and blitz to be unrealistic based on market conditions and consumer interests.
post #2536 of 2615 Old 11-01-2012, 04:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

By this point we were to be more than half way toward that 40 to 50 percent mark of households owning a television equipped with 3D. As the data indicates, it is two percent.
The point many of us were simply trying to make was that those industry projections about consumers wanting 3D in the home weren't credible because they were not scientific but made by inside marketing firms and that it was all simply a sales push.

That's a bit of a straw man though, as I don't think anyone here was promoting those numbers. The question here is simply the thread title, whether 3D will be a passing fad or here to stay. 3D's progress has been mixed for sure. You, and some articles like the one you linked to, continue to be pessimistic and focus only on the discouraging points, while glossing over the signs of progress, such as the fact that 3D has become ubiquitous in new TVs.
post #2537 of 2615 Old 11-01-2012, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 204
I thought 3D was just a fad....that is until I bought the Sony 46HX750 HDTV. Boy was I wrong!
post #2538 of 2615 Old 11-01-2012, 09:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That's a bit of a straw man though, as I don't think anyone here was promoting those numbers. The question here is simply the thread title, whether 3D will be a passing fad or here to stay. 3D's progress has been mixed for sure. You, and some articles like the one you linked to, continue to be pessimistic and focus only on the discouraging points, while glossing over the signs of progress, such as the fact that 3D has become ubiquitous in new TVs.

Was referring to the unethical spin conducted by the consumer electronics industry. By that I do not mean the massive advertising blitz but rather the intentional use of numbers created by unscientific and controlled self-serving industry research firms to paint a false picture of consumer interest in light of the reality brought out by actual surveys conducted by independent research firms that did not have a vested interest pro or con in the area. My point wasn't about 3D itself but rather about the lack of integrity in the industry's marketing campaign which was full of factual misinformation and manipulation about public sentiment.
post #2539 of 2615 Old 11-02-2012, 05:51 AM
Advanced Member

Sounds like the too trusting optimist of yesterday is the too cynical pessimist of today. I suggest a more balanced viewpoint. The industry's silly predictions (marketing hype) were never worth any serious attention, just as Huffington Post's doom and gloom take on the current state of 3D (spin) needs to be taken with a grain of salt in light of the bigger picture.
post #2540 of 2615 Old 11-02-2012, 06:02 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I decided to get 3D on my next TV and now with a month old Panasonic GT50 I've used it a few times and enjoyed it. Surprisingly this TV has a 2D to 3D setting that works pretty well with some material. That being said, we don't watch 3D often as there aren't that many titles, they are much more expensive than the 2D version and our TV provider, Dish, only has 3D as PPV and our current receiver needs to be upgraded to a 3D compatible model. On top of that, 3D is about half as bright as the regular picture so to be most effective you need a dark room or have to watch it at night. Would I do it again? Too early to say.
post #2541 of 2615 Old 11-02-2012, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sounds like the too trusting optimist of yesterday is the too cynical pessimist of today. I suggest a more balanced viewpoint. The industry's silly predictions (marketing hype) were never worth any serious attention, just as Huffington Post's doom and gloom take on the current state of 3D (spin) needs to be taken with a grain of salt in light of the bigger picture.

Hi Airon,

That's my take and there were simply some here in their enthusiasm were posting those silly predictions as fact and I was trying to point out that was just marketing hype. My cynicism was in reaction to comparing it taking off like DVD and hi-definition and so many suggesting people upgrade their television sets every few years like they do computers. It was just way too over the top.
post #2542 of 2615 Old 11-02-2012, 10:22 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Buying a new TV every few years will be the norm now as these new technologies don't seem to last anywhere near as long as CRT does. I haven't had a new technology TV last more than 7 years vs at least double that for CRT TVs I've owned. My 3D TV purchase was due to replacing a 4 year old LCD with a panel issue. That was the second time that panel had an issue and had to be replaced, the first time under warranty.
post #2543 of 2615 Old 11-02-2012, 02:21 PM

Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1971 View Post

I thought 3D was just a fad....that is until I bought the Sony 46HX750 HDTV. Boy was I wrong!

I think I get what you're saying, i.e. this time it's actually good. I'm old enough to remember the first 3D anaglyph fad in the 50s. The rare attempts ever since (remember Jaws 3D?) to revive it failed.

When I got my 65" passive 3D set, I wondered if 3D on a TV would be truly worthwhile, or would it be something I'd end up hardly ever using. Would it wear well? Yes, it's terrific. Hugo, for instance, is a good movie, but in 3D it's a revelation.

I certainly hope it's not a fad. I want more 3D content, and I can't wait for The Hobbit in particular. I presume that will eventually be offered on BD as 3D 24 fps (frames per second). Nothing could be simpler, take the 48 fps and do a decimation to 24 fps. But naturally I want to see it in the theater too at 48 fps.

If 3D is here to stay, no doubt I'll get a passive 4k set when they become affordable. Or more likely, a 4k projector.
post #2544 of 2615 Old 11-02-2012, 02:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 520
Quote:

Was referring to the unethical spin conducted by the consumer electronics industry. By that I do not mean the massive advertising blitz but rather the intentional use of numbers created by unscientific and controlled self-serving industry research firms to paint a false picture of consumer interest in light of the reality brought out by actual surveys conducted by independent research firms that did not have a vested interest pro or con in the area. My point wasn't about 3D itself but rather about the lack of integrity in the industry's marketing campaign which was full of factual misinformation and manipulation about public sentiment.

Which can be said about a large portion of any product ..

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?

post #2545 of 2615 Old 11-02-2012, 04:14 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
After viewing some of the better produced 3D material on displays between 55"-80" i have to conclude that to truly enjoy the experience whether it turns out to be a fad or not is to watch 3D on a 110"-140" screen with one of the brighter projectors like the new Epson 5020 1080p for around $2.5K and you will really be wowed !
post #2546 of 2615 Old 11-02-2012, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

Which can be said about a large portion of any product ..
Actually, I think AVS might have worded the question wrong.

True, but the forum question was about 3D.

Instead of asking the question of 3D being "fad" AVS should have asked if 3D TV was going to receive widespread popularity as hyped by the industry. 3D will certainly have a niche following but beyond bluray the cable and television industries are not finding the investment in production and equipment costs worth it as this point.
post #2547 of 2615 Old 11-02-2012, 10:41 PM

Liked: 10
I hope it's a fad I have to wear the glasses over my normal glasses also alot of times nothing actually seems 3d to me I hope it leaves soon they are really ruining my classics with stupid little tricks.
post #2548 of 2615 Old 11-03-2012, 03:59 AM

Liked: 15
This thread started just over two and a half years ago, when the current 3D technology was starting out. It has evolved over that time to be better than it use to be back then. Content has increased. The number of products (TV's, Blu-ray players, AVR's, Projectors, Glasses) that support this form of media has increased significantly. You can't swing a dead cat around without hitting something 3D! The case for "FAD" is over. 3D technology is here, and it is here to stay... regardless how many sets have been sold vs total number of sets in use. This thread should be retired! mad.gif

What we really need is a new thread. It should be "Have It / Want It / Don't Want It", and maybe "Don't Care".The discussions we have here are about those things, not really about whether it is a fad or here to stay. All those manufacturers have invested in this. The only way it will become a "fad" is by being replaced by something better. Were black & white TV's a fad? Were phonograph records a fad? Were rotary dial phones a fad? Some may hope it is a fad, but that is only wishful thinking. And those who wish it is a fad don't have to spend any money on it... not in the home or at the theater. But that does not stop the wheels of progress, and it certainly will not deter those who appreciate what this form of entertainment provides... be they directors, movie studios, manufacturers or the consumer.

When I purchased my last TV, I was looking for the best 2D set available, and it was only luck that allowed me to get a set that had 3D capability, and only luck that they included all the hardware necessary to enjoy this option. I wasn't looking for a 3D set, but I feel so fortunate that I was able to become an "early adoptor" (which is absolutely remarkable, since I'm never "one of the first" on anything, and rarely ever early on anything!biggrin.gif) . With the advent of HDTV and the digital domain they inhabit being relatively new, it is no surprise that 3D TV's are not rushing off the shelves and into the consumers' homes. Since this thread started, I imagine relatively few have needed to replace their existing set. I would almost be willing to wager that when those sets are in need of being replaced, many (if not most) of the consumers will be purchasing a 3D and ethernet capable set, whether they utilize those features or not. No scientific data, no market research to back up such a claim... just a gut feeling on my part.

So it is time to move on! It's not a "Fad"! Lets continue the discussions we have here, but stop the silly nonsense of whether it is a fad or not, because the reality is that it is here to stay! And if you haven't figured out my position, I say "Bring it on!"biggrin.gif
post #2549 of 2615 Old 11-03-2012, 02:55 PM

Liked: 37
@AVTrauma:

Ha, I enjoyed reading your post. You made a good case.

Still, I wouldn't want this thread to end just yet. It's been too interesting.wink.gif
post #2550 of 2615 Old 11-03-2012, 08:49 PM

Liked: 15
fritzi-
I agree, I don't want the thread to end either, I too enjoy reading all the thoughts others have, even those I may not agree with. But it should evolve! Two and a half years down the road, it is clear that it isn't a fad. Two and a half years of sales that may or may not have 3D capable sets purchased. So where do we stand now? The poll has been closed for some time. I think we need to continue this on the next thread... the "got it/want it/don't want it" thread that will include everyone here. And a new poll will give us some sense about how many have taken the plunge, and what they think about their purchase, as well as letting those who view this as a gimmic, a marketing ploy and/or a waste of money a chance to vent. It would bevery interesting to see how those poll numbers have changed over this time period too!biggrin.gif
Reply Community News & Polls

Tags
Polls

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page