3D Television Poll Results: A passing fad or the wave of the future? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 06-01-2010, 07:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
3D Television Poll Results: A passing fad or the wave of the future?

The days of buying a television that will last a decade or more without becoming obsolete are long behind us. More than ever, manufacturers are in a mad dash to one-up each other with the newest greatest technology. The latest attempt is to bring the third dimension to your living room set.

Besides the models already available for purchase, several manufacturers have plans to introduce 3D capabilities in their higher end sets available sometime this year. However, you’re not done with just the new display. Gone are the cheesy red and blue cardboard glasses you found in your weekly TV Guide. For these models, you’ll need expensive battery powered glasses for each viewer.

Besides the cost and availability of new units, perhaps the two biggest hurdles yet to be ironed out are content and standardization. Aside from the obvious future choice of Blu-ray 3D, ESPN has plans to pioneer content over the airwaves with some of the first 3D broadcast sports games. Standardization is another issue and there are many obstacles to be ironed out. If your glasses won’t work at your friend’s house for the big game, will that be a deal breaker for you?

AVS Forum members were asked to vote in a poll on their feelings about the future of 3D TV and the results were overwhelming. Over two-thirds of those who voted said 3D TV is simply a fad while another nearly nineteen percent said the technology can only take off if we have standards in place. This left a minority of less than fourteen percent saying 3D TV is here to stay and they’re anxious for content.

The poll results as well as several hundred comments from members can be found at http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1249605
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2010, 09:51 AM

The issue is not really if it’s a fad. It’s here and has inherently been here all along since display refresh rates have been increased for the benefit of temporal viewing.

This is a very easy transition for the display manufactures to simply add a IR transmission sync output timed to the refresh rate.

The 3d thing is really not useful for regular home viewing.

3d is an event, not a social experience. You tolerate the glasses for the benefit of the event.

The only other compelling reason to tolerate goggles is for scientific applications. i.e. medical, military or perhaps home gaming
Old 06-07-2010, 09:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azgard View Post

The 3d thing is really not useful for regular home viewing.

I'm not sure why it has to be useful, but for me and many others it will be fun.
Old 06-24-2010, 04:46 PM

I hope its a fad .....
Old 07-20-2010, 12:44 PM

Hope it's not a fad considering I just bought one