XpanD to roll out Universal 3-D glasses - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 06-03-2010, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
XpanD to roll out Universal 3-D glasses

Wall Street Journal: "If you've zeroed in on the perfect 3-D television for your living room, what about the glasses? Currently, the choice of which 3-D specs to wear is dictated by the manufacturer, as the glasses are tied to a single brand of TV and can't be used on others. But as early as this month, next-generation 3-D glasses will be hitting stores. The new specs are designed to work with any TV or computer monitor capable of playing movies or shows in 3-D. This month, XpanD eyewear will go on sale at U.S. retailers. For $129, customers can purchase glasses that will work on any television or PC with 3-D."

For links and more stories visit the Hot Stories section at HomeToys.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-03-2010, 10:01 PM

Liked: 10
How? How could this possibly work universally with all the manufacturers? Anybody have any idea?

Wash:"This landing is gonna get pretty interesting."

Mal:"Define "interesting."

Wash:"Oh God, oh God, we're all going to die?!"

Kaylee:"Goin' on a year now I ain't had nothin' twixt my nethers weren't run on batteries!

Mal:"Oh, God! I can't *know* that!"

Jayne:"I could stand to hear a little more."

post #3 of 11 Old 06-04-2010, 05:17 AM

Liked: 17
When we saw Avatar in 3D at the Arclight Dome in LA they used XpanD glasses which, frankly, sucked. They're heavy, they don't have a one-size-fits-all option (the Missus had to hold hers up for the ENTIRE RUN TIME of the picture) and the lenses are too dark. I kept peeking out from behind them and was shocked at how much brighter and colorful the screen was without them. If it wouldn't have been for the blur effect, I'd have ditched them altogether.

The industry can -and must- do better if they want the gimmick to bleed into home use. Cos this just ain't gonna cut it.
post #4 of 11 Old 06-04-2010, 08:38 AM

This 3d thing is really not useful for regular home use.

3d is an event, not a social experience. You tolerate the glasses for the benefit of the event.

The only other compelling reason to tolerated goggles is for scientific applications. i.e medical, military or perhaps home gaming.
post #5 of 11 Old 06-04-2010, 06:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
If they can make them available as a coating for prescription eyeglasses they might have something. All in all this is all a gimmick.
post #6 of 11 Old 06-04-2010, 08:23 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelDog View Post

How? How could this possibly work universally with all the manufacturers? Anybody have any idea?

They are basically IR learning... like a universal remote. They learn the IR being emitted from the TV.
post #7 of 11 Old 06-05-2010, 05:12 AM

Since I will be implementing 3D in my home, this is important for me. In order to be truly universal, the glasses must sync with an IR trigger as found in on Panasonic and Samsung HDTVs, DLP Link as found on Mitsubishi HDTVs, and Blue tooth as Visio will be using. The last I heard was that these truly universal ASGs from XpanD would be the Titanium X104 for about $250.
post #8 of 11 Old 06-05-2010, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azgard View Post

This 3d thing is really not useful for regular home use.

3d is an event, not a social experience. You tolerate the glasses for the benefit of the event.

The only other compelling reason to tolerated goggles is for scientific applications. i.e medical, military or perhaps home gaming.

Au contraire! If you haven't experienced 3D TV, I can understand your doubts. However, once you have seen it, you may modify your stance. I was a doubter at first myself. For the past week, I was in Dallas, visiting my younger son. His 65 inch Mits RPTV had died, and he was in the market for a new flat screen. He was interested in a 50 inch or larger LED LCD TV, and after looking at quite a few, he decided to buy a Samsung UN55C8000 3D LCD receiver and take advantage of Samsung's promotion of a free starter kit if you also bought a Samsung BD-C6900 3D Blu-ray player on the same receipt. My verdict after we installed the TV and player, and seeing Monsters vs. Aliens in 3D was one of enthusiastic acceptance. Further, the Sammy does a very nice job of 2D to 3D "upconversion". You have to see it to believe it! My new attitude is that if you are going to buy a new large screen TV, the 3D models are worth considering.
post #9 of 11 Old 06-05-2010, 04:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Agreed.

Been watching this 3D technology closely for years
with Panasonic.

It's not a gimmick but rather an entirely enthralling
experience that once you experience will have you
drooling for more.

Surprisingly, it's the live action 3D that really looks
great. Saw some clips of the opening cermony at
the Olympics in China that had amazing depth.

I think 3D is here to stay and people are going to
be clamoring to get it once they see it for themselves.

Personally looking at both the Samsung and Panasonic
models, the Panny gave a much better 3D experience.
However, the 2D to 3D conversion can only be had on
the Samsumg displays.
post #10 of 11 Old 06-05-2010, 10:45 PM

I went to Best Buy and have to say that I think this is what we have been waiting for. The effect is the same as in the Theaters. I was a doubter as well until I had seen it with my own eyes.

No doubt, I want this now. I am going to wait though until more units come out to help drive down prices. I have a 65 inch Mits DLP. I am not going down in size.

Wash:"This landing is gonna get pretty interesting."

Mal:"Define "interesting."

Wash:"Oh God, oh God, we're all going to die?!"

Kaylee:"Goin' on a year now I ain't had nothin' twixt my nethers weren't run on batteries!

Mal:"Oh, God! I can't *know* that!"

Jayne:"I could stand to hear a little more."

post #11 of 11 Old 06-11-2010, 04:40 PM

Yes, indeed. I feel that you have to see it set up in a home before you can comment intelligently on it. I've had my Panasonic TC-P58VT25 for a while now, and I am in love with the 3D. Bring on more !!!! And, by the way, I am old enough to have lived through the initial TV explosion in the early 50's, the advent of color TV, 8 track tapes, cassette tapes, VHS, CDs, DVD, HDTV, Blu-ray and now 3D. I've heard the same complaints at each and every arrival of a new technology that was "sure to fail". IMHO, if these complainers had their way, we would still be sitting in caves looking at the drawings on the wall.
Reply Community News & Polls

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page