Surround Sound - How many speakers needed? - Page 18 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

View Poll Results: How many speakers do you think are needed for home surround sound?
5.1 - L,C,R,LS,RS - SUB 0 0%
7.1 - L,C,R,LS,RS,LR,RR - SUB 0 0%
9.1 - L,C,R,LS1,RS1,LS2,RS2,LR,RR - SUB 0 0%
11.1 - L,C,R,LW,RW,LH,RH,LS,RS,LR,RR - SUB 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #511 of 515 Old 05-08-2016, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked: 780
Quote:
Originally Posted by greylight44 View Post
I don't retract anything. It was/is a practice in cinemas to set them 3dB lower as part of the intent of the filmmakers. ... but yeah consumer gear and these near-field mixes, in some cases, it may not matter for consumer gear.

A 3dB difference in level is clearly audible, hence it matters.

Am I correct that despite using a Dolby Laboratories trademarked image for your avatar image you are in truth neither an employee nor an officially sanctioned representative for them in either the commercial/professional or consumer markets?

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there IS no concept of "accounting for personal taste/preference". As art consumers we don't "pick" the level of bass, nor the tint/brightness of a scene's sky, any more than we pick the ending of a novel or Mona Lisa's type of smile. "High fidelity" means "high truthfulness", faithful to the original artist's intent: an unmodified, neutral, accurate copy of the original, ideally being exact and with no discernable alterations, aka "transparency".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #512 of 515 Old 05-08-2016, 04:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post
A 3dB difference in level is clearly audible, hence it matters.

Am I correct that despite using a Dolby Laboratories trademarked image for your avatar image you are in truth neither an employee nor an officially sanctioned representative for them in either the commercial/professional or consumer markets?
LOL. I do work in the professional/technical industry.
post #513 of 515 Old 05-08-2016, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greylight44 View Post
LOL. I do work in the professional/technical industry.
That was not my question. I asked if you work for Dolby. Do you or don't you?

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there IS no concept of "accounting for personal taste/preference". As art consumers we don't "pick" the level of bass, nor the tint/brightness of a scene's sky, any more than we pick the ending of a novel or Mona Lisa's type of smile. "High fidelity" means "high truthfulness", faithful to the original artist's intent: an unmodified, neutral, accurate copy of the original, ideally being exact and with no discernable alterations, aka "transparency".
post #514 of 515 Old 05-08-2016, 06:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I won't be playing any longer, though I do find your tone and demands for answers fascinating. I don't come here to discuss my personal or professional life. I come here occasionally to ask questions about consumer gear, and maybe participate in some discussions of interest, but I don't do it often, like 24/7. I've said what I had to say and provided backup for a "claim" that is in use in the cinema industry. So, no more third degree from an apparent self appointed forum "patroller". Enjoy.
post #515 of 515 Old 05-08-2016, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashie Saldana View Post
Do you have a source for that claim?
For consumer gear, such as the Yamaha AVR mentioned in the post immediately above his, all speakers should be set to the same level. At least if you trust Dolby to not lie to us.

Also, despite the fact that his stolen avatar image of one of their trademarked logos, he does not work for, nor officially represent Dolby.

Last edited by m. zillch; 05-08-2016 at 10:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Community News & Polls

Tags
Surround Sound Speaker Placement , Polls

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page