Project Showcase - Logic Living - Home in Hawaii - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 06-17-2010, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Project Showcase - Logic Living - Home in Hawaii
We asked some of the Dealer / Integrators in our company directory to send us examples of projects they have completed so we could share them.
Author: Paul Jackow, Logic Living

Project budget: $100,000

PACKING THE BIGGEST SIZE SCREEN AND PROJECTOR INTO A SOFFIT THAT ONLY MEASURED 11" TALL, PLUS ACCOMODATING SUPPORT STRUCTURES SO THAT THE SOFFIT WOULD NOT SAG WITH THE WEIGHT OF STEWART FILM SCREEN.

THE PROJECT WAS VERY DIFFRENT IN THAT WE HAD TO MAINTAIN THE VISUAL LINES AND SIMPLICITY OF THE ROOM WITH OUT ADDING SIGHTLY ELECTRONICS TO A CUSTOM DESIGNED INTERIOR EXHIBITING HAWAIIN STYLE AROUND EVERY CORNER. THE CLIENT WANTED THE ABILITY TO PRESS A SINGLE BUTTON AND HAVE THE TECHNOLOGY UNVEIL ITS SELF. THE CLIENT WANTED TO HAVE THE PROPER SOUND IMAGING INTO THE SPACE WITH OUT JEOPORDIZING THE LOOK OF THE ROOM. IN COME THE SPEAKERCRAFT MTORIZED SPEAKLERS, STEWART FILMSCREEN FIREHAWK SCREEN AND THE RUNCO LS-5 PROJECTOR ON A AUTON MOTORIZED MOUNT. ALL THE ELECTRONCS AT THE HEAD END WERE PLACED UNDER THE BAR WHERE AN OLD ICE MAKER ONCE SAT. EVERY THING WAS DESIGNED AND APPLIED AN LOW KEY AS POSSIBLE.

Read the complete article in the latest issue of our eMagazine at HomeToys.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-17-2010, 02:04 PM

Liked: 10
Caps lock? Really?
post #3 of 10 Old 06-17-2010, 03:08 PM
Advanced Member

The article leaves a lot to be desired...

Verum postulo res.
post #4 of 10 Old 06-18-2010, 06:12 AM

I agree with DaveUpton. Could be better, but not completely awful.
post #5 of 10 Old 06-18-2010, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 353
$100k? I just don't see it.

post #6 of 10 Old 06-18-2010, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn94 View Post

$100k? I just don't see it.

My thoughts exactly.
post #7 of 10 Old 06-19-2010, 03:41 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifor View Post

My thoughts exactly.

Where did all the money go?
post #8 of 10 Old 06-21-2010, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnykretentiv View Post

Where did all the money go?

It went to somebody's pocket.
post #9 of 10 Old 06-22-2010, 09:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Apparently, motorized s**t is WAY expensive...

I spent about 4K for a BenQ projector, nice leather couch and a 106" DIY screen. I guarantee I got more bang for the buck.
post #10 of 10 Old 06-23-2010, 05:32 PM

well the article is based on an unfinished install so it appears (or at least I hope so), plus I'm assuming that budget wasn't just for what we see in the article. Given the picture of the flat screen, I'm assuming that was the overall renovation budget. The list of items used seems to clearly imply this was the budget of an overall install. And I agree, this was an unprofessional and poorly written article. The big negative in things like internet taking over mainstream publishing duties is any hack can publish.

Motorization is very expensive. The Stewart screens are excellent, I won't deny that. After playing around with DIY screens for a long while and finally biting the bullet, the higher end screens like Stewart and SI are really well worth the money, but Stewarts motorized products are really expensive. The Screen appears to be the stealth trapdoor, so I'm fairly certain we are looking at a 10-15,000 dollar screen. The motorized projector mount is, I believe, around half of that cost, and then they seem to have motorized speakers too. Those are from Speaker craft and the overall system is around 3,000 or so. I can see 20-30,000 dollars worth of motorization in that room alone. I can understand the desire to want everything to hide when not needed in these mixed rooms, but I just can't see spending that can't of extra money to do so. Especially given the compromises made in performance. With a mixed room like that, my preference is to the SI Black Diamond Screen over the Stewart Firehawk . The projector choice is fine, you really need a bright projector for those mixed media rooms, and if you have the budget, Runco makes a great one. The LS-5 is the continuation of the Planar 8150, and everyone I've talked to said that when Planar bought Runco and remarketed the unit through them, they spent time using Runco's expertise to improve the 8150. It's supposed to be a lot better now, and given that it already was one of the best for the money, and that the price didn't change, thats a good deal. The speakers are junk, they are fine for hiding speakers used for background music, but in my opinion, they are not useful as home theater speakers. Even in a mixed use room like that I would have gone a very different route. I just can't see spending 3000 dollars on HT speakers that would be easily outperformed by many HTIB's at 1/3 the cost. I've heard that system in a dealers showroom setup, and while I thought the concept was very cool, and the price reasonable for what I thought was it's purpose, I was somewhat shocked and annoyed that it was being marketed as a replacement for inwall home theater speakers. Proper sound imaging is a debatable topic, and I'll give the installers that yes, they are placed in generally the right horizontal locations, but they are not going to give the right imaging. They each use a 2.5" full range driver with poor dispersion characteristics. They are placed too high for proper imaging, so that part is lost. And the overall inefficient design of those speakers (admittedly each of my speaker cost what that whole system did) means they won't be able to reproduce even remotely realistic levels.
Reply Community News & Polls

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page