Logitech Revue with Google TV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 06-18-2010, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Logitech Revue with Google TV

Chances are, you have one of the 60 million HDTVs in the US that are ready. To be smarter. To integrate the full Web and your HD cable or satellite content. To do things no TV has ever done before. Logitech is putting the final touches on a companion box that will connect your HDTV to everything the Google TV experience can be. So watching is just the beginning. They are creating a system that includes a companion box - an external device that connects to your TV through an HDMI port - and an intuitive controller that's been designed to take full advantage of everything the Google TV platform offers. Release is scheduled for this fall, so stay tuned for more details in the coming months.

For links and more stories visit the Hot Stories section at HomeToys.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 06-19-2010, 07:22 AM

Liked: 10
Quite an interesting product. I wonder if connecting to YouTube will be different than via my Blu-Ray player. As it is now, I can connect to YouTube and log in to my channel but cannot see all the music videos listed in favorites or playlists. If this unit can do what my Blu-Ray can't, then that would be great.
post #3 of 16 Old 06-21-2010, 05:40 AM
AVS Special Member

What makes this device different than the (failed) Apple TV product? Also, given Google's history of tracking customers, I don't know if I'd trust this device to not sell my information to advertisers.
post #4 of 16 Old 07-24-2010, 05:05 PM

They've been trying to blog it at Yahoo Financial this July - sales pitch of Logitech streamer for this TV with lame responses like "oh, when???", "pleease, how much??"...

They say nothing about remote. Logitech has no multifunction remote with mouse, and neither does Sony (and there will be one more hardware manufacturer of this box, I forgot which one).

What's new, beside Google TV browser? There are front-ends like Zinc and Boxee. There are PC with remotes and RF keyboards that can control those front-ends. A standalone dedicated HTPC in addition to your other PC or to Xbox will probably cost the same as that streamer box and would be easily upgrade-able.
post #5 of 16 Old 10-28-2010, 03:23 PM

It's interesting to go back to what people were saying about the Revue before it was released to see what the speculation was. I wonder if attitudes have changed now that it's out and we see all the features that were included.

Personally, I like it. Does it need a few tweaks? Yep. Does it (Google TV in General) need to get things figured out with the Broadcast companies? That too.

But what it DOES do is push the envelope for all of us, especially system integrators who want the general population to start looking at this stuff. Where Apple TV failed, I believe Google will succeed, partly due to the partners it chose in Logitech and Sony.

Both partners have taken Google TV and added their own enhancements that really create a neat concept that up to now, only the owners of HTPCs can relate to.

Either way, this is innovation, we should be embracing it and seeing how far we can take it rather than focus on what is missing. IMHO there are more new innovations with this than there are shortcomings.

Personally, I love Google TV for the innovation and the public awareness it has the potential to bring to Systems Integration. It's up to us to keep that public awareness moving forward and not shut innovation down as a passing fad.

Thoughts?

Tom
post #6 of 16 Old 11-01-2010, 08:39 AM

I got my Revue on Thursday.

I have mixed thoughts. From a geek point of view the thing is fantastic. I love it.

From a consumer point of view, or someone who doesn't want to fuss around with anything, it's going to be a complete pain in the ass.

For now anyway. I think in a year the price will come down to something more reasonable (after a few days with it, I feel it is a $200 device and not $300) and will be a much more solid product.

Also, has anyone heard of network issues with the Revue units? I had to swap mine out for another one after a day. First the WiFi went out, then the wired connection went.

Anyway, in short I got the Revue for its potential, not for what it is right now. I'm happy with that, but I can see how others think that is a ridiculous argument.

The guys at xda-developers are already trying to crack this thing.

Fun times ahead!
post #7 of 16 Old 11-04-2010, 05:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 84
So it was a hardware failure. How is the new unit working?
post #8 of 16 Old 11-08-2010, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Received mine the day after it's official release date.

We do not have a PC at home and had been using the MSNTV-2, which is an outgrowth from the old WebTV. For our purpose, the Logitech Revue is fantastic. Unlike MSNTV (which can hardly open most websites anymore) we can get into everything we want.

On You Tube we accessed all the videos and only had a problem with one that was in 1080p high definition - it would freeze then continue playing. But when we viewed it a second time in HD it ran perfectly. All the apps run fine - have been catching a lot of the Three Stooges and the black and white prints are sharp with excellent contrast and black levels.

Even quicker compared to what we have on our PC at work. The interactivity with our cable box and TV is really great, especially being able to watch a program and surf the web at the same time. However, we again purchased it specifically because we don't have use for a PC. So the $300 price tag was worth it for us. If we had a P.C., we probably would not have considered the Logitech since it would be connected to our HD television in the den, anway.
post #9 of 16 Old 11-11-2010, 02:41 PM

Does anyone have an answer to this?:
Is there a power on/off option on the Revue or will it just go into standby?
post #10 of 16 Old 11-18-2010, 10:02 AM

I have an HTPC connected to my big screen, so I just use the normal windows browser for NetFlix, etc. Is there any advantage to getting something like this?
post #11 of 16 Old 01-01-2011, 04:05 PM

Caution on the Revue... it does not transmit Dolby Digital via HDMI... only 7.1 channels of PCM - no matter the source material. This effectively renders a high-end AVR powerless to decode anything.

I have confirmed with Logitech that they are NOT working on a solution.
post #12 of 16 Old 01-10-2011, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

If selling my information to advertisers is what it takes to get free or discounted content please do it. And please include my interests so it's targeted.
post #13 of 16 Old 01-10-2011, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherhan View Post

What makes this device different than the (failed) Apple TV product? Also, given Google's history of tracking customers, I don't know if I'd trust this device to not sell my information to advertisers.

I'm afraid that's pretty much how Google works. And I doubt Apple's too terribly different.
post #14 of 16 Old 01-27-2011, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherhan View Post

What makes this device different than the (failed) Apple TV product?

...a full functioning browser (Chrome). At least that's what makes it appealing to me.
post #15 of 16 Old 02-27-2011, 04:18 AM

I can definitely confirm that. We actually did a full review and tried to address the same issue in regards to sound coming from Revue.
post #16 of 16 Old 02-27-2011, 05:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbius View Post
I can definitely confirm that. We actually did a full review and tried to address the same issue in regards to sound coming from Revue.
What evidence do you have that it is not the same DD to PCM decoder chip used in any other typical source device?
Reply Community News & Polls

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page