RedEye Mini from ThinkFlood now on sale for $49 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 07-20-2010, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
RedEye Mini from ThinkFlood now on sale for $49

You've heard about it for months, and now the universal remote that looks nothing like a universal remote is finally on sale in 52 nations. Thinkflood's RedEye Mini -- which simply plugs into the headphone jack of your iPad, iPhone or iPod touch -- can now be procured for $49, and when used with the gratis app in the App Store, can control anything in your home entertainment setup that accepts IR commands. ZDNet was fortunate enough to get a little hands-on time with the device, and their early impressions are quite positive. In fact, they recommend skipping the Harmony hoopla and heading right for this if you're already an iDevice owner (who doesn't use an imposing case or Bumper), and at a buck under a Grant, we certainly aren't in a position to argue. Read a recent press release from ThinkFlood here. Engadget source.

For links and more stories visit the Hot Stories section at HomeToys.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 07-20-2010, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 95
If it could hook into a remote IR blaster through Wi Fi... that would be great for those of us with equipment rooms. I guess we could simply use an IR repeater too, but that's one more piece in the puzzle.
post #3 of 20 Old 07-21-2010, 03:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 314
i think physical buttons for volume and power are necessary. Also, there's no RF support or one-touch activity capability. For those with simple setups, I think this makes a great remote replacement. For those of us with more complex systems, however, sticking with the Logitech Harmony or Philips Pronto may be well worth it.

The Build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| The System:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| The Video Series:

Social:
|
|
|
|
post #4 of 20 Old 07-21-2010, 06:06 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post

i think physical buttons for volume and power are necessary. Also, there's no RF support or one-touch activity capability. For those with simple setups, I think this makes a great remote replacement. For those of us with more complex systems, however, sticking with the Logitech Harmony or Philips Pronto may be well worth it.

Which remotes can control RF devices? My screen (Vutec) uses an RF remote and I've not found a universal that could control it.
post #5 of 20 Old 07-21-2010, 06:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post

Must agree. I don't feel like unlocking my device every time I want to change a channel, adjust the volume, pause quickly, etc.
post #6 of 20 Old 07-21-2010, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
I want to make my iPhone and iTouch work my complete system, but with an equipment room, this proves useless to me. Give me something that uses the BT or WiFi so that I can control all my equipment in the other room.

-Jason

- Almost "complete".
-

-

SONY quality and customer service FTMFL
post #7 of 20 Old 07-21-2010, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheld View Post

Which remotes can control RF devices? My screen (Vutec) uses an RF remote and I've not found a universal that could control it.

I think he means like the Harmony 890... remote RF controlled IR blaster. It's indispensable in my setup.
post #8 of 20 Old 07-21-2010, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hetherington View Post

....if you're already an iDevice owner (who doesn't use an imposing case or Bumper), and at a buck......

Well I reckon that excludes all I-Phone 4's, damn things wont work WITHOUT an imposing case or Bumper!
post #9 of 20 Old 07-21-2010, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamahaSHO View Post

I want to make my iPhone and iTouch work my complete system, but with an equipment room, this proves useless to me. Give me something that uses the BT or WiFi so that I can control all my equipment in the other room.

Go look at the irule thread -- it will do what you want
post #10 of 20 Old 07-21-2010, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Might be nice for the moments, (Crap where is that damn remote) / Calls iPhone

Come at me Broseph
XBox live GT:Dubs4President
post #11 of 20 Old 07-21-2010, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudubb1n View Post

Might be nice for the moments, (Crap where is that damn remote) / Calls iPhone

Never thought of that. Very clever.
post #12 of 20 Old 07-21-2010, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post

If it could hook into a remote IR blaster through Wi Fi... that would be great for those of us with equipment rooms. I guess we could simply use an IR repeater too, but that's one more piece in the puzzle.

OK to clarify -- this is what you would do with irule and Global Cache

You use the irule as interface - basically create a remote on your iphone screen with commands. Then you press the button you have created and over the wifi the signal goes to a unit from Global cache - either the itach which accepts the wifi command and converts it to either IR or RS232 or their GC units if you have both RS232 and IR units in your rack. This will then control your equipment.

I am waiting for 2-way feedback which they say is in the next major upgrade. That will be a very sweet addition that at a reasonable price will allow me to sit in the HT and change sound modes and get confirmation on the screen what mode I am in.
post #13 of 20 Old 07-21-2010, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhdiab View Post

OK to clarify -- this is what you would do with irule and Global Cache

You use the irule as interface - basically create a remote on your iphone screen with commands. Then you press the button you have created and over the wifi the signal goes to a unit from Global cache - either the itach which accepts the wifi command and converts it to either IR or RS232 or their GC units if you have both RS232 and IR units in your rack. This will then control your equipment.

I am waiting for 2-way feedback which they say is in the next major upgrade. That will be a very sweet addition that at a reasonable price will allow me to sit in the HT and change sound modes and get confirmation on the screen what mode I am in.

Good... GC is a pretty sophisticated piece of equipment, especially if it talks to components over a two way serial line. I agree about being excited about this if they do that 2 way upgrade.
post #14 of 20 Old 07-21-2010, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

erkq -- it is confirmed by the developer as coming - just don't have a time-frame

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post18938452
post #15 of 20 Old 07-21-2010, 12:55 PM

Liked: 12
So when a call comes in and you answer it or if you actually want to use the iDevice to surf or whatever, the other people in the room can no longer operate any equipment.

I just don't see how this makes any sense.
post #16 of 20 Old 07-21-2010, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrellhayes View Post

So when a call comes in and you answer it or if you actually want to use the iDevice to surf or whatever, the other people in the room can no longer operate any equipment.

Personally... I don't answer the phone or surf when watching a movie.
post #17 of 20 Old 07-21-2010, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrellhayes View Post

Don't forget that what is your daily iphone today will be obsolete tomorrow. You will soon have a few laying around your house..... then it is a "free" remote. Heck you setup a little cradle thing on the wall and you got yourself a nice touch-screen interface for your entertainment area
post #18 of 20 Old 07-21-2010, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
You are all haters. This looks awesome!

More as a supplement to an existing remote than a replace everything.
post #19 of 20 Old 07-21-2010, 08:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I've been thinking about getting an iPad, and this would be really sweet to add to it. I'll have to keep this in mind when I finally pick one up.
post #20 of 20 Old 08-15-2010, 11:31 PM

As a long time lurker, I feel a bit strange chiming in here, but since no one has mentioned this, RedEye's main product does exactly what most of you are asking for. It sends ir commands over wifi to a base station in your rack/equipment room.

Also, one appeal of this device is the fact that each person in the house with an iPhone can get one and have their "own" customizable remote.

Plus, the possibilities for hijinks at the sports bar are endless...
Reply Community News & Polls

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page