post #1 of 38 Old 08-04-2010, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Top 7 Things To Tell Your Customers About HDMI 1.4
Author: Chris Bundy

1. HDMI 1.4 ALLOWS WEB SUPPORT FOR CAPABLE DEVICES
Your TV, Cable Box, Blu-Ray Player, and Video Game Console can all pull rich content from the web directly through High Speed HDMI with Ethernet cables. Rather than connecting an additional Ethernet cable to each device, the bi-directional IP data channel allows devices to send and receive data at full Ethernet speeds (i.e. up to 100Mbps). With this feature, your AV receiver or video switch also acts as an internet hub for your entire home theater or video system.

2. HDMI 1.4 FEATURES CONNECTIONS FOR MOBILE AND AUTOMOTIVE DEVICES
Imagine a world where your entertainment and data travel just as easily as you do HDMI 1.4 is available in two new flavors; Type D and Type E. Type D is a micro connector designed to connect to the latest generation of Digital Cameras, Mobile Phones, laptops, and other personal media devices. The Type E connection is designed to give best of HD digital features to automotive installations. HDMI 1.4 type E connection is perfect for custom car AV, and Recreation Vehicle installations.

Read the complete article in the latest issue of our eMagazine at HomeToys.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 08-04-2010, 01:04 PM

Liked: 10

4. HDMI 1.4 SUPPORTS LARGER THAN LIFE RESOLUTIONS
HDMI 1.4 Supports 4K or (4096x2160) resolutions, meaning the same images you have seen in the best digital theater is now available for every- one! This huge leap in capabilities will make sure your equipment is ready for anything.

So now that we have the cables to support it how long until we see TVs with that much resolution? Or better yet how far off is that content?
post #3 of 38 Old 08-04-2010, 01:08 PM

Wonder how much Monster is going to overcharge for this cable....?

BMW: Happiness is the next curve.
post #4 of 38 Old 08-04-2010, 01:36 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwracer View Post

Wonder how much Monster is going to overcharge for this cable....?

Eh the usual 400% markup
post #5 of 38 Old 08-04-2010, 01:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I think this article is misleading. Most (if not all) receivers that "support" HDMI 1.4, support only two functions: the audio return channel and 3D. Can someone identify even one that already supports Ethernet over HDMI?

There's no display (that I'm aware of) that supports 4K resolution and aside from a few demo videos on YouTube, I'm not aware of any 4K content, so while it's nice that 1.4 supports all this, it's misleading to say that "it's here" and I think it would be ill-advised for salespeople to do so.

And even if the industry did develop new 4K monitors, after buying their first flat panel and now (if the industry has their way), buying a 3D panel, do you really think people will upgrade again to buy a high-res panel? And now that Blu-ray is getting well-established, do you think the industry will soon move to another format?

Not gonna happen, IMO....not for at least ten years.
post #6 of 38 Old 08-04-2010, 02:01 PM

Liked: 11
I'm not really impressed. The new resolution is pretty cool though. Who knows when we'll have a display capable of that though.
post #7 of 38 Old 08-04-2010, 02:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

And now that Blu-ray is getting well-established, do you think the industry will soon move to another format?

Not gonna happen, IMO....not for at least ten years.

I (along with many others) think the next new format will be hard drive based, hdd or flash, based on the consumers choice. I think this could mark the end of discs. That being said, I just bought my first blu-ray player yesterday, mostly because it supports SACD, which is a dying (dead?) format.

I'm in for a 4k resolution display in 3-5 years. First have to wait for my Hitachi hdx99 to die, then move the new 58V10 to the bedroom, and 4k resolution set to main room. Will they be on HDMI 2.0 by then?
post #8 of 38 Old 08-04-2010, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 42
That's the thing, the standards are always Waaaaaaaaaaay ahead of what the equipment is capable of offering.

1 Mitsubishi WD-82642 82" TV
1 Onkyo TX-NR929 11.4 setup
2 Emotiva XPA-5's
1 Emotiva XPA-100
1 Definitive Technology CLR 3000 (Center)
2 Definitive Technology BP2004TL's (Mains)
2 Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000's (Heights)
6 Definitive Technology BPX's (Rears Wides Sides)
4 CHT VS-18.1 Subs
post #9 of 38 Old 08-04-2010, 02:26 PM

I am all for higher resolution. Can't wait but I have a feeling it will be a while before we see it.
post #10 of 38 Old 08-04-2010, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hetherington View Post

1. HDMI 1.4 ALLOWS WEB SUPPORT FOR CAPABLE DEVICES
Your TV, Cable Box, Blu-Ray Player, and Video Game Console can all pull rich content from the web directly through High Speed HDMI with Ethernet cables.

I'm quite sure that with the crappy international broadband speed we get here in New Zealand that HDMI 1 spec would be adequate..
post #11 of 38 Old 08-04-2010, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

There's no display (that I'm aware of) that supports 4K resolution and aside from a few demo videos on YouTube, I'm not aware of any 4K content, so while it's nice that 1.4 supports all this, it's misleading to say that "it's here" and I think it would be ill-advised for salespeople to do so.

JVC Adds New 4K Projector to D-ILA Lineup

Sony's SXRD 4K Projectors help keep Ford Motor Company in the passing lane.

IGI Teams with Automaker to Install Design Room that Delivers Detailed Vehicle Designs on 60-Foot-Wide Screen.

Industry Leader [Christie] Supports Exhibitors with Five New 2K & 4K Resolution Projectors

Obviously not consumer grade equipment, but you need to keep in mind that HMDI is trying to weasel it's way into professional studios and commercial applications, so they need to cater to the pros too.

And almost all movies are telecined at 4k for archival purposes these days, so there's already tons of 4k material sitting in film studio vaults.

OTOH, I agree, it's pretty silly for a salesman to be mentioning 4k capability to a customer unless that customer happens to be a pro studio, since we might not even see 4k consumer gear in our lifetimes due to movie studio paranoia over piracy.
post #12 of 38 Old 08-04-2010, 02:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexdown View Post

4. HDMI 1.4 SUPPORTS LARGER THAN LIFE RESOLUTIONS
HDMI 1.4 Supports 4K or (4096x2160) resolutions, meaning the same images you have seen in the best digital theater is now available for every- one! This huge leap in capabilities will make sure your equipment is ready for anything.

So now that we have the cables to support it how long until we see TVs with that much resolution? Or better yet how far off is that content?

Not even close. To be capable of noticing resolution that high over standard 1080p you need something like a 90" screen, if not even larger. Not to mention, most broadcasters are having a hard time bringing 1080p to the market. Those resolutions may even be too high for some movies to fit on a bluray disc in its current state.
post #13 of 38 Old 08-04-2010, 05:53 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
So if I upgrade all my equipment to HDMI 1.4 will HDMI 1.5 show up in 6 months?
I give up on upgrading.
post #14 of 38 Old 08-04-2010, 07:36 PM
Advanced Member

"To get the most out of your HD content, you'll not only need the latest cables, such as Atlona's Flat High Speed HDMI with Ethernet Cables, but also HDMI 1.4 equipment.
Author: Chris Bundy, Atlona Technologies"

Maybe I've missed something, but since when has AVS started using basically an advertisement and pass it off as a factual & informative reference?

This definitely has a bias slant to it.

Not what I've come to known as AVS style.

Ghpr13

Info=Knowledge=Understanding=Better TV!
I see dead pixels!
post #15 of 38 Old 08-04-2010, 09:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I'm still waiting for Deep Color and 16 bit content.
post #16 of 38 Old 08-04-2010, 11:55 PM

Liked: 31
I'm getting to the point where I don't care anymore...I enjoyed the leap from
S video to component better than whats going on now.

Monster pillaged me for thier sexy looking cables that performed as well
as my cheepo HDMI that came with my XBOX360...

who cares anymore...they can keep thier 3D TV's too !

And yes I can afford the crap...but it's getting ridiculous.
post #17 of 38 Old 08-05-2010, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ub3r-L33ch View Post

I'm not really impressed. The new resolution is pretty cool though. Who knows when we'll have a display capable of that though.

We wont have to wait much longer. The Toshiba Cell TV will be 2k by 4k and should be comming out later this year.
post #18 of 38 Old 08-05-2010, 07:11 AM

I'm sticking with my hdmi 1.3 equipment for the long haul. I'm not upgrading a single thing.
post #19 of 38 Old 08-05-2010, 07:14 AM
Advanced Member

The new Panasonic 152" is 4K resolution. Whether it will accept a 4K input is another matter. Case in point, the first 1080P sets would only accept 1080i over HDMI and deinterlace internally.

EDIT: DVI and HD-SDI inputs will allow for 4K input, HDMI is limited to 1080P on this set.
post #20 of 38 Old 08-05-2010, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzoz01 View Post

The new Panasonic 152" is 4K resolution. Whether it will accept a 4K input is another matter. Case in point, the first 1080P sets would only accept 1080i over HDMI and deinterlace internally.

EDIT: DVI and HD-SDI inputs will allow for 4K input, HDMI is limited to 1080P on this set.

When ever I read an article like this, it brings to mind my favorites product review on Amazon. There is a speaker cables for $6800 and the reviews are fantastic for perspective on how we perceive cables.
Here is the link... http://amzn.to/7zlp4k

Life is no harder than you make it.
post #21 of 38 Old 08-05-2010, 11:11 AM

Will we still need to do the "hdmi shuffle"? Plug this in before that, reboot this after that, power off this then turn it back on...make sure the box is power on, before that, during a full moon.
post #22 of 38 Old 08-05-2010, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggiE48 View Post

When ever I read an article like this, it brings to mind my favorites product review on Amazon. There is a speaker cables for $6800 and the reviews are fantastic for perspective on how we perceive cables.

those reviews are amazing!
post #23 of 38 Old 08-05-2010, 07:19 PM

though i think the ethernet over hdmi is a step in the right direction(single connection), i have big issue with the way they feed us these great technologies, yet dont deliver satisfaction.

hd-dvd, bluray 720p, 1080p, 60hz, 120hz, 240hz, led, 3d, now 4k?

4k resolution? cable service cannot keep up with 1080p with any quality. blurays are over hyped and often disappointing. they need to stop innovating if the industry is not going to put forth real and full support for the current formats and standards.

im sure early adopters feel more slighted by the speed at which their a/v equipment is made obsolete by innovation, yet like 3d, the material just isnt present to make it worthwhile. it seems you need to spend about $2-3000 a year on hardware to stay 1-3 years behind the "state of the art", and thats if you arent buying at the higher end. yet just because this stuff can put out the best of the best, we wont truly realize what that is because the media companies dont give us what we are paying for.

as consumers we need to slow our adoption and spending, stop buying the hype and demand better service and media for the hardware we already have. i realize manufacturers make money mostly from the sale of hardware, but like others say in this thread, we don't really get quality content for what we already own. hardware companies (and our wallets) need to pressure media to keep up. we deserve better
post #24 of 38 Old 08-06-2010, 05:19 AM

The whole "article" (I use the term loosely here) is an advertisment for Atlona, written by somebody who <<drumroll please>> works for Atlona.
post #25 of 38 Old 08-06-2010, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurbySlayer View Post

though i think the ethernet over hdmi is a step in the right direction(single connection), i have big issue with the way they feed us these great technologies, yet dont deliver satisfaction.

hd-dvd, bluray 720p, 1080p, 60hz, 120hz, 240hz, led, 3d, now 4k?

4k resolution? cable service cannot keep up with 1080p with any quality. blurays are over hyped and often disappointing. they need to stop innovating if the industry is not going to put forth real and full support for the current formats and standards.

im sure early adopters feel more slighted by the speed at which their a/v equipment is made obsolete by innovation, yet like 3d, the material just isnt present to make it worthwhile. it seems you need to spend about $2-3000 a year on hardware to stay 1-3 years behind the "state of the art", and thats if you arent buying at the higher end. yet just because this stuff can put out the best of the best, we wont truly realize what that is because the media companies dont give us what we are paying for.

as consumers we need to slow our adoption and spending, stop buying the hype and demand better service and media for the hardware we already have. i realize manufacturers make money mostly from the sale of hardware, but like others say in this thread, we don't really get quality content for what we already own. hardware companies (and our wallets) need to pressure media to keep up. we deserve better

well said
post #26 of 38 Old 08-06-2010, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggiE48 View Post

Here is another one with great reviews: http://www.amazon.com/Denon-AKDL1-De...1122920&sr=1-1
post #27 of 38 Old 08-06-2010, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorr View Post

Here is another one with great reviews: http://www.amazon.com/Denon-AKDL1-De...1122920&sr=1-1

I find this one f/n-hilarious..

Monster is going to sue..., June 13, 2008
By "RKing" (Florida) -
This review is from: Denon AKDL1 Dedicated Link Cable (Electronics)
I think Monster will probably sue because they came up with the original idea of ripping off the public and now Denon is stealing their concept.

Life is no harder than you make it.
post #28 of 38 Old 08-06-2010, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZRED85001 View Post

We wont have to wait much longer. The Toshiba Cell TV will be 2k by 4k and should be comming out later this year.

It has already been released in Japan, and has ditched the 4K resolution in favor of 1080p. They have however kept the internal 3TB HDD with the ability of recording 8 programs simultaneously and the built in BD Drive, aswell as 760 dimming zones and a 1000nitz brightness, but cost wise the 4K panel was just too far out of reach. The 1080p 55inch that did come to market at Toshibas highest end has a price that comes out to around $10k in US currency.

I've seen 4K panels from Sharp, Samsung, and Panasonic in person, showing still photography slideshows. Of course every display was over the 70inch mark, but the difference was pretty staggering compared to 1080p panels of the exact same size. And of course Barco, Christie, JVC, Sony, and Meridian all have 4K projectors, plus there will be even more 4K projectors available as the 4K DLP chips come out. They exist now, and more will come to market, especially for consumers.

I think 3D display will delay the arrival of 4K to the LCD market, as now we have a major marketing and sales draw that does not need to be overshadowed, but as Plasma quality improves and OLED reaches the market, especially with LCD's generally poor performance in the low and mid range products, I think the 4K resolution will arrive to consumers within the next three years.

Of course content wise it is no where close to being a reasonable option. 4K projectors tend to have ridiculously high end scalers like the one used in the Meridian 810 Reference projector system that upscales 1080p sources, but that type of scaling won't be available in consumer displays, as well as 4K resolution will not fit on current BD titles nor is it included in the BD spec, or readable by players. Content is going to be the biggest drawback of 4K consumer displays, sense there really isn't a point to have them without high end scalers or available content to take advantage of that resolution gain. I mean you can reduce SDE on larger displays, but that's about it.

The article stated facts about the HDMI 1.4 spec, just because it came from a cable manufacturer does not mean it is not fact. If a head engineer at Porche educates me about cars, i'm going to listen. It's his field of expertise allowing him to have the best information. It's a good thing it's coming from a cable manufacturer and not someone who is not in the industry and has no idea what they're talking about.

It's like not listening to a doctors recommendation because you will have to buy medicine he prescribes you, pretty stupid to count off this article as an advertisement to say the least.

CTS - Certified Technology Specialist
EAVA - Extron Certified AV Associate
post #29 of 38 Old 08-06-2010, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

I would prefer the high gamut feature of version 1.3 be adopted at the consumer level before moving forward to higher resolutions.
post #30 of 38 Old 08-07-2010, 05:33 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by acksnay View Post

I would prefer the high gamut feature of version 1.3 be adopted at the consumer level before moving forward to higher resolutions.

Yes, I agree. Let's get YCbCR 4:2:2 10 bit color rather than 8bit YCbCr 4:2:0 before jumping to a higher overall resolution. For the average home theater with a 10' wide screen 1080P is plenty of resolution. Yes for those few that have 20' + screens maybe
4K but give me higher color resolution first. It's already on the masters now! Maybe somebody could tell us if it would fit on a BD.
Reply Community News & Polls

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page