Google TV struggling to find partners - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 08-19-2010, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Google TV struggling to find partners

With the Google TV service set to make a fall debut, the race is on for Google to find content partners. But the company is having a tough time achieving that goal, The Wall Street Journal is reporting. Citing unnamed sources who are familiar with the matter, the Journal reported that Google has met with representatives from major television networks ABC, CBS, Fox, and NBC in a bid to bring their programming to Google TV. According to the publication's sources, those companies are "skeptical that Google can provide a business model that would compensate for potentially cannibalizing TV owners' existing broadcast businesses." It gets worse. According to the Journal, "some media companies are discussing whether they should take steps to block their Web video from playing on certain devices." The idea, according to the report, is to limit access to content from a Google TV-equipped device. The networks fear that if consumers can access their Web content, they would simply watch episodes online through the Google TV, rather than watch them when they air. Source - CNet ...

For links and more stories visit the new Streaming Media section at HomeToys.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 08-19-2010, 12:10 PM

Liked: 10
Dah, you could see this coming from a mile away. I thought Google was smarter than this.

You know, a guy could get into this HT thing and drop a couple of bucks!
post #3 of 11 Old 08-19-2010, 03:53 PM

Google has their fair share of hits and misses. I saw this coming from a mile away. There is simply no way you are going to get all of the major broadcast networks to agree on anything.

Hulu is the best we're gonna get for some time I think.
post #4 of 11 Old 08-19-2010, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanne View Post

Google has their fair share of hits and misses. I saw this coming from a mile away. There is simply no way you are going to get all of the major broadcast networks to agree on anything.

Hulu is the best we're gonna get for some time I think.

I can't say I'm not disappointed. But if they can figure out how to make money off of youtube they should be able to do the same for google TV.
post #5 of 11 Old 08-20-2010, 07:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 582
the statement .. "skeptical that Google can provide a business model that would compensate for potentially cannibalizing TV owners' existing broadcast businesses."

Pretty much says it all .. if Google decides to compensate at the level needed, I'm sure it would be a go .. the players know that the cloud is the future, Google wants to be the player that delivers some sort of package, and Google certainly has the coin .. if they want to pony it up..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #6 of 11 Old 08-20-2010, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Did you see the comment about Hulu on HOTP?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post

Business Notes
Modern Family' Boss Steve Levitan Takes His Hulu Rant to Twitter
By Lacey Rose, Forbes' 'Moneywood' Blog

If Wall Street is lukewarm on Hulu's rumored IPO, Modern Family boss Steve Levitan is fuming.

Late Tuesday night, he took his fury to Twitter, condensing his frustration into 140 characters: Some estimate Hulu IPO could bring in $2Bil. What will the content providers get? Zero. What is Hulu without content? An empty jukebox.

more -
http://blogs.forbes.com/laceyrose/20...nt-to-twitter/

post #7 of 11 Old 08-24-2010, 05:55 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
Hmm, let's see.

You make billions of dollars by shrugging your shoulder saying "hey, we can't control when users put up copyrighted works. Sorry copyright holders, you'll have to spend millions of dollars to tell us when you see it" THEN google has the balls to try and do buisness with the same people?

Gee, it's sooo hard to figure out why nobody wants to play with Google huh?

Funny..

buytme
post #8 of 11 Old 08-24-2010, 08:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 582
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_B View Post

Hmm, let's see.

You make billions of dollars by shrugging your shoulder saying "hey, we can't control when users put up copyrighted works. Sorry copyright holders, you'll have to spend millions of dollars to tell us when you see it" THEN google has the balls to try and do buisness with the same people?

Gee, it's sooo hard to figure out why nobody wants to play with Google huh?

Funny..

I don't disagree with your post, however, I don't think the primary motivation here was the content providers exacting a grudge play on Google .. it's still all about the pay to play issue .. Google can get what they want if the providers get what they want as well .. the piracy isssue was a Pandoras box that once it got opened, is very very difficult to get control of and is as much an ISP problem as anything ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #9 of 11 Old 08-24-2010, 01:43 PM

While I was looking forward to GTV, I am astounded that Google hadn't attempted to secure buy-in from the networks before they announced their plans. . .
post #10 of 11 Old 09-13-2010, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexdown View Post

I can't say I'm not disappointed. But if they can figure out how to make money off of youtube they should be able to do the same for google TV.

I don't believe they are making money off YouTube yet, though they are getting close.
post #11 of 11 Old 09-14-2010, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpfieber View Post

I don't believe they are making money off YouTube yet, though they are getting close.

I agree. At least this won't happen in the recent months i think.[img]http://*******************/3/wallbash.gif[/img]
Reply Community News & Polls

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page