Whisky Powered Cars ...Yeah! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-20-2010, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Whisky Powered Cars ...Yeah!
A bit off topic but I thought you might get a kick out of this for the weekend.
Bob Hetherington

That's right, whisky. Scottish (where else?) researchers at Edinburgh Napier University have figured out a way to use the byproducts of their nation's most famous beverage as biofuel, capable of running in any normal engine. Like some other biofuels, no modifications to the car are needed, making it an easily adopted, if not easily made or found, alternative. During the making of whisky (in this case likely Scotch, rather than the more freedom-loving whisky of my own nation, the glorious amber elixir that is bourbon), two main byproducts are produced. Pot ale is the name for the leftover liquid in the stills, and draff is the leftover, used-up grains. Together, the pot ale and draff can be converted into butanol. Butanol can actually be burned in typical gas engines, but due to its higher cost and difficulty in producing, it's more likely to be added in smaller doses to regular gasoline-maybe 5% or 10%. Source - SmartPlanet.com

For links and more stories visit the Hot Stories section at AltEnergyMag.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2010, 12:15 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmnprk View Post

That's indeed a very good innovations as this is something that would be of a good use and also provide a good alternative for the fuel. This could be the solution to the deficiency of the fuel in the world. Apart from this loved the design though it requires some precautions to be taken before taking in for a ride.

The amount of fuel-appropriate by-products produced by distillation isn't very large. It's more of a gimmick than anything else.
Old 08-21-2010, 10:12 AM

ahhh reminds me of the simpsons...one for your you, one for me!
Old 08-21-2010, 10:34 AM
Just add water and stir

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 467
What kind of an idea it this? Using Ethanol puts our food supply on a path for ever increasing prices till we can barely afford food (most especially in the developing world). And using Whiskey for fuel just makes it more expensive to get wasted...This makes me think of the cheaper alternative of Meth as preferable to a shot of good Ol' Jack...course some bastard will just find a way to run nuclear facilities with that waste too! Maybe married women are behind this latest move in attempt to discourage fun in the husbands...seems like a suggestion that would kill my weekend, "You can drink it; or you can drive to work on Monday, which is it?"
Old 08-21-2010, 07:01 PM
Advanced Member

I've got a diesel hybrid car that runs on raw used vegetable (deep fryer) oil. And unlike whiskey byproducts, WVO is plentiful and readily available at any restaurant. No chemical processing is necessary, only filtering. The filtered oil is poured into a tank heated by engine coolant. Once the tank reaches 100F, its thin enough to be injected. Throw a switch and off you go on free fuel! And it smells good too.

bob z

Ramblings of a TV News Chaser:
www.tvuplink.net/
Old 08-22-2010, 03:07 PM
Just add water and stir

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by sat_uplinker View Post

I've got a diesel hybrid car that runs on raw used vegetable (deep fryer) oil. And unlike whiskey byproducts, WVO is plentiful and readily available at any restaurant. No chemical processing is necessary, only filtering. The filtered oil is poured into a tank heated by engine coolant. Once the tank reaches 100F, its thin enough to be injected. Throw a switch and off you go on free fuel! And it smells good too.

"I'll have a large fries and the fill'er up with filtered! To GO!"
Old 08-23-2010, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 24
1. It's more expensive.
2. It's a misuse of resources.
3. TANSTAAFL - learn it and live it

(There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch)

A.L.a.E.o.t.U.S., as proven 3/21 - never forget.
Defend liberty.
Knowledge isn't Truth; it's just mindless agreement.