AppleTV - Here's the Hype - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 55 Old 09-01-2010, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
AppleTV - Here's the Hype

Here what Apples Steve Jobs had to say about Apple TV at Apples Fall 2010 event.
So what have we learned from our users? They want hollywood movies and TV shows whenever they want. It's not complicated. They don't want amateur hour. They want HD -- everyone wants HD. They want to pay lower prices for content. They don't want a computer on their TV -- they have computers. They go to their TVs for entertainment. They don't want to manage storage. They don't want to think about -- they just want to watch movies and TV shows. And they don't want to sync to a computer. And they want whatever hardware we have to be silent, cool, and small. So this is what we've learned. It's different than what a lot of companies think... So we made something new. This is the new Apple TV."
"It's small -- a 4th of the size of the current ATV. It looks like a small hockey puck."
"Matte black. Around back it's got HDMI, USB, optical audio and Ethernet."
"Wifi 802.11n"
"It's got a great remote. It's about movies and TV shows -- it's all HD when the content is available. We've gone to the rental model for this -- you rent everything. It's all rentals and you don't store anything on it -- you just rent them. You stream content from your computer if you want to. There's no syncing required. Stunning photo slideshows. And, it's silent cool and tiny."
"So what about content? iTunes has the largest online library of movies and hd movies iin the world. You can rent them for $4.99 the day they come out on DVD. Now, to buy TV shows it used to be $2.99 -- people said that was too expensive. Now they're going to be $.99."
"Remember, these are commercial free. Now this is a big step for some of the studios to make. So we have ABC and Fox. We think the rest of the studios will see the light. In addition to renting, you can also stream Netflix. You can also watch anything you want on YouTube. You can get photos from Flickr and MobileMe. And you can stream content from your computer."
"So that gives you an overview of Apple TV. Now let me show you something else that's really cool. We talked about AirPlay before. One of the things we can do with AirPlay is stream content from an iPad to an Apple TV. You're going to be able to be watching a movie, push it to your TV, and finish watching it there. You're going to be able to push photos from your iPad to your TV... it's going to be pretty cool. The price of Apple TV was $229... users said they'd like to see it more affordable. So we're gonna lower the price, from $299... to just $99. The Apple TV will be available in 4 weeks."

For links and more stories visit the Hot Stories section at HomeToys.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 Old 09-01-2010, 01:26 PM

Liked: 10
Biggest "shock" is Apple allows Netflix streaming. It's good news for us, the consumers
post #3 of 55 Old 09-01-2010, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

And a $200 price cut.
post #4 of 55 Old 09-01-2010, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Hotness, indeed

post #5 of 55 Old 09-01-2010, 02:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I am not a big apple fan, but having just got an iPad I am turning.
I also really want to cut out cable tv and go to a solution like this.

Color me impressed.
post #6 of 55 Old 09-01-2010, 02:44 PM

Liked: 15
At this rate we don't need an HTPC anymore. We just simply rip our movies to a NAS or USB storage and link to Apple TV or Netgear Media Player type devices.
post #7 of 55 Old 09-01-2010, 02:58 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosdude View Post

At this rate we don't need an HTPC anymore. We just simply rip our movies to a NAS or USB storage and link to Apple TV or Netgear Media Player type devices.

If your HTPC is simply for streaming. Then the question becomes did you really even need an HTPC in the first place.
post #8 of 55 Old 09-01-2010, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosdude View Post

Not that fast. We have to wait to see what format Apple TV can stream via local network and USB. It will sure put a lot of media player competitors in trouble. But I think HTPC will still has its own place. 1080p, high res audio, DVR are some features on HTPC that new Apple TV can't do.

I'm hoping hacked OS/firmware will be possible with this new device to add more features and potentials. Very promising. For $100, I'm saying what the heck I'm going to lose. I'm in for 1 or may be 2. :-)
post #9 of 55 Old 09-01-2010, 04:56 PM

Liked: 12
Yep, 720p and Dolby Digital 5.1... what is this 2005?
post #10 of 55 Old 09-01-2010, 05:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilGator View Post

Yep, 720p and Dolby Digital 5.1... what is this 2005?

sucks!
post #11 of 55 Old 09-01-2010, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangtong View Post

Not that fast. We have to wait to see what format Apple TV can stream via local network and USB.

From the website's tech specs.

Quote:

Video formats

H.264 video up to 720p, 30 frames per second, Main Profile level 3.1 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps per channel, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats
MPEG-4 video, up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats
Motion JPEG (M-JPEG) up to 35 Mbps, 1280 by 720 pixels, 30 frames per second, audio in ulaw, PCM stereo audio in .avi file format

I think my WD Live will still work better for streaming.
post #12 of 55 Old 09-01-2010, 08:08 PM

yeah, pretty much a no go if you ask me. Would have interested me if there were actually full res and bitrate BD streaming capabilities from local storage (not expecting that via itunes). Now that would have been a keeper in that package. I'll stick with a Popcorn Hour or Dune.
post #13 of 55 Old 09-01-2010, 08:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUZ81 View Post

From the website's tech specs.

I think my WD Live will still work better for streaming.

I agree! apple tv is dumb blond lol
post #14 of 55 Old 09-01-2010, 09:04 PM

Look at those specs!! Oh no! They dropped the ball on this one. Too much hype and promise but it was all looks and no show. WDTV 1 is working fine for me because the other WD models have a hard time with a few/most MP4 files. I have Acer Revo, but would always like another better unit with nice features. Netgear?? Well see...
post #15 of 55 Old 09-01-2010, 09:50 PM

Yeah, 720p will look great on my 63inch plasma!
Apply thinks they crap gold, but with all the yuppy's who NEED an apple product i'm sure it will sell very well, even though it doesnt have nearly as much in the way of specs then a cheaper alternative.
post #16 of 55 Old 09-02-2010, 04:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Another so so device from Apple, outside of their first launch of the iPhone and iPods they have been living off ther image.

There are better devices out there for every device in their line-up, but people still keep buying into the brand. I guess that would be called great marketing along with some big help from a media that is in love with the Apple yuppish image.
post #17 of 55 Old 09-02-2010, 06:14 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm trying to fathom who will buy this. Many people already have streaming capability, from various providers, on some home electronic equipment.

I know these items in my house can stream Netflix:
Blu-Ray Player
XBOX360 (5 in my house)
Wii

Heck, even my 2yo Panny Plasma can stream directly from Amazon.

As the saying goes: "Steve Jobs could convince his followers to buy a *Fart in a Box*".

IMHO, Apple is as much of a "Cult" as it is a business...

I've got some stuff.
post #18 of 55 Old 09-02-2010, 08:40 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalksInDarkness View Post

I know these items in my house can stream Netflix:
Blu-Ray Player
XBOX360 (5 in my house)
Wii

It's kind of a waste for a Blu-Ray player to stream netflix since those streams are not 1080P or even 5.1 sound. If you think Apple is stuck in the past with this product, so is Netflix!

http://news.cnet.com/8301-27076_3-20000054-248.html

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/home-theat...r-in-2010/2641
post #19 of 55 Old 09-02-2010, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by easycruise View Post

It's kind of a waste for a Blu-Ray player to stream netflix since those streams are not 1080P or even 5.1 sound. If you think Apple is stuck in the past with this product, so is Netflix!

That's my point, there is absolutely no reason to buy Apple's device - or subscribe to their service - as there is no Value Added by it. With Blu-Ray Players as cheap as $70, why would anyone want something that doesn't provide 1080p and Master Audio?

I guess it's a cheap way for Apple-philes who have no other capable devices for their HT, but my guess is they buy it just to have another Apple "Trophy" to gush about. Maybe they get a thrill out of it because it gives them a reason to camp out in front of the Apple Store for 48 hours...

I've got some stuff.
post #20 of 55 Old 09-02-2010, 08:57 AM

And I'm trying to fathom why people buy a gaming console that has a failure rate reported up to 50%. I'm on my 2nd 360, and if this one fails, I'm done.

Apple has passed Microsoft in market value, but the Microsoft cult is still much, much larger.
post #21 of 55 Old 09-02-2010, 09:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by easycruise View Post

http://news.cnet.com/8301-27076_3-20000054-248.html

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/home-theat...r-in-2010/2641

it caters to a lot of public who dont even own a receiver and connect directly to tv with speakers.

Apple's device is dumb, so do any 1080p with 2 channel or 720 p as a matter of fact is simply non sense. more so u buy shows that r a day old
post #22 of 55 Old 09-02-2010, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodo/lurker View Post

And I'm trying to fathom why people buy a gaming console that has a failure rate reported up to 50%. I'm on my 2nd 360, and if this one fails, I'm done.

When was this article about MS? You just proved my "cult" theory by confabulating an argument about an unrelated device - Grow up...

Anyhow I better start playing the Lottery! I must be the luckiest man in the world then huh? - because I have never had one single XBOX that failed, nor personally know anyone that has. My oldest is ~3 years old and going strong, next is ~2 yo, next is ~1yo, next two are ~0.5yo. Get the picture?...

I've got some stuff.
post #23 of 55 Old 09-02-2010, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Personally, I think these will fly off the shelves.

One: It's Apple, and people tend to trust Apple as a solid manufacturer.
Two: It's only $99
Three: Connectivity, and the power/influence that Apple has to bring in more and more content
Four: Majority of America probably couldn't tell the difference in 720P and 1080P on their equipment, let alone DD 5.1 vs master audio.
Five: The majority of other, similar devices are from far less known manufacturers. Ask 10 Americans who Roku is, and I doubt you'll find very many that will have a clue.

Just my $0.02.

Dan
post #24 of 55 Old 09-02-2010, 11:25 AM

I'm grown up enough to not waste MY money on 5 Xbox 360's. (Are we supposed to be impressed by this?) Talk about proving your "cult" theory.

And by the way, I am not defending AppleTV - I too have several devices that can stream to my tv, so I will be spending my $99 elsewhere.

This product is not a top priority for Apple - but that fact doesn't stop the Apple bashers from giving their useless opinions.
post #25 of 55 Old 09-02-2010, 11:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 21
So basically the New APPLE TV is a Roku box re-branded?
post #26 of 55 Old 09-02-2010, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoro View Post

sucks!

Yeah I have a first gen ATV which was ok for 2007 but this is almost 2011, now we have better alternative. My LG570 can also stream from Netflix... and Vudu, Cinema Now, Pandora, Picasa, Youtube... wirelessly. It can stream anyformat from a DLNA server. It natively supports Divx HD and AVC HD , all that in 1080p... and gasp... it can play Blu Rays. It was $160, this is $99...not much of a bargain.
post #27 of 55 Old 09-02-2010, 12:46 PM

"Streaming Only" is a very interesting choice, one that I'm sort of indifferent about. I would like the dedicated space to move files off of my iMac.

The specs of 720p and DD are forgivable given the circumstances, but the problem lies at the source: iTunes. It's almost as if they are intentionally being stubborn and saying "we will continue our efforts to not support full HD and uncompressed audio because we don't think you need it."

I love Apple, but it annoys the junk out of me that they continue this charade regarding HD formatting. Put a blu-ray player in your next line of iMacs and all will be forgiven...
post #28 of 55 Old 09-02-2010, 06:28 PM

No MKV, no iTV fo me.
post #29 of 55 Old 09-03-2010, 07:46 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veeper View Post

No MKV, no iTV fo me.

The fact that it doesn't have MKV support is laughable..... Blu-ray players with DLNA have a better chance.

I'll stick with my HTPC; or if I need a change, Netgear has a better product.
post #30 of 55 Old 09-04-2010, 08:11 AM

Yeah, I'm going back and forth on this. I already pre-ordered one, but I'm not so sure now.

Don't get me wrong, this is not for people on AVSForum. People here are way ahead of this. But for the average person, a $99 device that allows them access to a content store with iTunes while it handles anything already in their iTunes library is a very big deal. People want simplicity. They don't want a HTPC. We do, but that's different.

The real issue is content and for the average person, there's very little quality, legitimate content that is easily available. NetFlix is about as close as it gets and that's not all that impressive from a selection standpoint. That's why Steve Jobs still calls it a hobby. This doesn't become a horse race until there are more horses in the race. Content providers are not going to allow Apple to own this like they own music, so I don't think you're going to see any impressive content deals until there are more players in the game. At a minimum Google and maybe Microsoft (are they doing anything in this arena right now?).

Anyway, all that said, even I am considering dumbing down my HTPC setup for the simplicity. I spend more time screwing around with optimizing things on my Acer Revo and wondering how to make it better than actually watching stuff at times.
Reply Community News & Polls

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page