Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 32 Old 09-17-2010, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Steve Jobs: Amateur Ninja?
Something light for the weekend :-)

Steve Jobs is a visionary and a billionaire. But is he also a ninja on the side? According to an extremely unreliable rumor that's been sweeping the Web this week, the Apple CEO was caught packing ninja throwing stars at a Japanese airport (you know, just in case he gets into a tussle while traveling abroad). The story, sparked by SPA!, a Japanese tabloid, is just about the most absurd thing one could imagine, and has been refuted by Apple. And yet... because of said absurdity, the story will not go gently into that good night. The original story which, again, Apple has refuted claimed that Mr. Jobs was caught trying to sneak shurikens (metal throwing stars) onto a plane. After being nabbed by authorities, Jobs supposedly became upset and vowed never to visit the country again. Web searches on "steve jobs" are up 99% over the past 24 hours, and related lookups on "steve jobs ninja" and "steve jobs ninja stars" are both comically high.

Source - Yahoo Buzz

For links and more stories visit the Hot Stories section at HomeToys.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 09-17-2010, 02:56 PM
Just add water and stir

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 461
yeah, a billionaire who flys with the rest of us...right.
post #3 of 32 Old 09-17-2010, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by zuluwalker View Post

yeah, a billionaire who flys with the rest of us...right.

Indeed... Apple gave him $1 and a $40M Gulfstream as thanks the year he "rescued" them. Maybe he can't afford the operating cost of the Gulfstream? Ha! Right...
post #4 of 32 Old 09-17-2010, 05:12 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 98
This is the article here in Japan and he said , quote from the magazine tranzlated,

Quote:

A security scan at Kansai International Airport, near Osaka, detected the weapons inside the executive's carry-on luggage in July as he was returning home to the US from a family vacation in Kyoto, the Japanese magazine reported, citing unidentified officials at the airport and the transportation ministry.

Jobs said it would not make sense for a person to try to hijack his own plane, according to the report. He then told officials he would never visit Japan again, the magazine reported.

http://www.itmedia.co.jp/news/articl...3/news107.html

It was a good laugh though.

My build thread

My 8 x RE XXX 18" Subwoofers, IB build
Couldn't pour water out of a boot with instructions on the heel.

Do you know what Nemesis means?

post #5 of 32 Old 09-20-2010, 09:32 AM

Liked: 10
^ That one makes more sense. He was caught with the weapons going through airport security, but he was boarding his own plane
post #6 of 32 Old 11-06-2010, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Steve Jobs is a megalomaniac who has a product with about as much value as Bose. Cheap proprietary (so you must replace the whole computer when a component fails) parts and charging all he can. I know this from personal use and failure of a iMac. Its sales are driven by hype that is false. It is no easier to use these days than Windows 7. The mac OS was revolutionary in the '80s, now its just ordinary. They are aesthetically much nicer than the typical "PC" but that is all they have going for them.
post #7 of 32 Old 11-06-2010, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theresa View Post

Steve Jobs is a megalomaniac who has a product with about as much value as Bose. Cheap proprietary (so you must replace the whole computer when a component fails) parts and charging all he can. I know this from personal use and failure of a iMac. Its sales are driven by hype that is false. It is no easier to use these days than Windows 7. The mac OS was revolutionary in the '80s, now its just ordinary. They are aesthetically much nicer than the typical "PC" but that is all they have going for them.

Maybe. But the Mac is only as small part of the Apple product line. The sales figures for the iPhone and iPad tell a story the real marketing genius of giving the customer what they want before they realize they want it.
post #8 of 32 Old 12-01-2010, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theresa View Post

You have no idea how wrong you are; the Mac is *FAR* different from Bose for quality for the dollar, that's so extremely biased and just an abused statement. The Mac OS is *FAR* more efficient than Windows, an example being the Core Audio pipelining system that offers, in general better sound quality that a Windows machine (though w/ ASIO and DirectSound or w/e Windows can match it), the quality of the hardware is outstanding, customer support is excellent, the OS is built like a brick, and obviously you're blinded either ignorance or bias my friend as Macs are very upgradeable, and I dare you to find a mini PC that is as easily user upgradeable as the latest Mac Mini, not to mention if a part failes Apple will help you out no problem.
post #9 of 32 Old 12-01-2010, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucom View Post

You have no idea how wrong you are; the Mac is *FAR* different from Bose for quality for the dollar, that's so extremely biased and just an abused statement. The Mac OS is *FAR* more efficient than Windows, an example being the Core Audio pipelining system that offers, in general better sound quality that a Windows machine (though w/ ASIO and DirectSound or w/e Windows can match it), the quality of the hardware is outstanding, customer support is excellent, the OS is built like a brick, and obviously you're blinded either ignorance or bias my friend as Macs are very upgradeable, and I dare you to find a mini PC that is as easily user upgradeable as the latest Mac Mini, not to mention if a part failes Apple will help you out no problem.

Oh, Lord... I've been trying to get my girlfriend off her Mac ever since I met her. It's been a nightmare of failures and data loss, starting with her need to run Quicken. Every platform has its issues. Every platform has its fanbase. It's not as black and white as you opine. In fact, I think YOUR statement is extremely biased.

That said, we are looking at iPads to allow access to her practice management software on the road. Now THAT is looking mighty fine!
post #10 of 32 Old 12-15-2010, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
Oh, Lord... I've been trying to get my girlfriend off her Mac ever since I met her. It's been a nightmare of failures and data loss, starting with her need to run Quicken. Every platform has its issues. Every platform has its fanbase. It's not as black and white as you opine. In fact, I think YOUR statement is extremely biased.

That said, we are looking at iPads to allow access to her practice management software on the road. Now THAT is looking mighty fine!
To say Macs are overpriced is one thing, but to say they're anything less than a stellar machine of excellent quality components is another. Now and then you get a bad lemon, but on the whole Apple provides an exceptionally well built machine, and given that 10.6 retails for $30 and the amount of care, quality control, and passion that goes into their products, the money goes to good places, not to mention my G5 that's about 8 years old, never had a problem, and my Mac Mini here is working flawlessly, never had a problem, wonderful products. Finally, I DARE you to find a post-built machine that has the same specs as a Mac Pro for less money, chances are, not gonna happen.

Don't get me wrong, I grew up on Windows, and I love building PC's, but all in all Macs just provide the better quality and experience I find, though Windows 7 seems to be outstanding, as well. It boils down to preference now I would say, but Macs are premium products, and admittedly priced so, respectively.
post #11 of 32 Old 12-15-2010, 03:27 PM

Quote:

To say Macs are overpriced is one thing, but to say they're anything less than a stellar machine of excellent quality components is another. Now and then you get a bad lemon, but on the whole Apple provides an exceptionally well built machine, and given that 10.6 retails for $30 and the amount of care, quality control, and passion that goes into their products, the money goes to good places, not to mention my G5 that's about 8 years old, never had a problem, and my Mac Mini here is working flawlessly, never had a problem, wonderful products. Finally, I DARE you to find a post-built machine that has the same specs as a Mac Pro for less money, chances are, not gonna happen.

Don't get me wrong, I grew up on Windows, and I love building PC's, but all in all Macs just provide the better quality and experience I find, though Windows 7 seems to be outstanding, as well. It boils down to preference now I would say, but Macs are premium products, and admittedly priced so, respectively.

Mac is junk...and for the record, my girlfriend regularly ditches her ipod shuffle to take my sansa to work because itunes wont let her put her audiobooks on it....ipods and ipads are gimmick products...convert a touchscreen netbook and you get a much more versatile (and powerful)touchpad interface for far less money than the ipad costs. Companies like apple hamper the evolution of technology by putting patents on trivial things such as magnetic power cords.

Long and short...apple blows
post #12 of 32 Old 12-15-2010, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My experience was not with a "lemon". The Mac hardware did not fail. The software failed in a devastating cascade that tore through multiple levels of applications, virtual machines, operating systems and disk partitions. It was top-to-bottom the most complete system failure I have EVER experienced. It has been re-loaded and re-configured and works well once again with no hardware replaced at all. But I will not allow business applications to be run on it.

So I have a Zotac ION with a 500gig HD that draws 18 watts and cost $262 total + keyboard and monitor. It's my HTPC and plays hi-def content even from Flash on my 1080p projector. Zero problems. It's also my Home Automation controller. So far the lights turn on and off when they should.
post #13 of 32 Old 01-10-2011, 10:41 PM

I have built several PCs and love them dearly. My gaming computer plugged into my big screen at 1080p through HDMI is like drinking nectar of the gods for me, but for getting school work done, photo and movie editing, music composition, Mac seems to work quite seamlessly, and iPhoto and Aperture are simply so easy to use and powerful.

All I know is that my parents called me with problems with Windows XP or hardware problems every month or two on the PC, I was reformatting it about every 6 months, the iMac hasn't given them any problems and I've never had to reformat a Mac in the 4 years since I started using them.
post #14 of 32 Old 03-04-2011, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omnimoeish View Post

I have built several PCs and love them dearly. My gaming computer plugged into my big screen at 1080p through HDMI is like drinking nectar of the gods for me, but for getting school work done, photo and movie editing, music composition, Mac seems to work quite seamlessly, and iPhoto and Aperture are simply so easy to use and powerful. ipad app development

All I know is that my parents called me with problems with Windows XP or hardware problems every month or two on the PC, I was reformatting it about every 6 months, the iMac hasn't given them any problems and I've never had to reformat a Mac in the 4 years since I started using them.

The new I pad is sexy. 2 cameras for great web cam communication and random pictures. The processor is faster than the last one and same price range. The only thing I wish i could do would be trade my old Ipad in for a discount on the new one.
post #15 of 32 Old 03-04-2011, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by handytech View Post

The new I pad is sexy. 2 cameras for great web cam communication and random pictures. The processor is faster than the last one and same price range. The only thing I wish i could do would be trade my old Ipad in for a discount on the new one.

If you bought it within the last 2 weeks you can get a $100 discount toward the new iPad AND keep your old one. Token gesture for sure...
post #16 of 32 Old 03-28-2011, 02:09 PM
AVS Club Gold

if i was heavy into video editing i'd use a mac given the tools available for it..

yup apple is over priced for what you get...

mind you windows is no bed of roses either as it has it's own failings as well..

i'm on vista and for a new user it is simple to use, though given my 20+ years with the windows platform it is a pain to use still learning it, haven't touched win 7 yet..

yup as for story given the price of japanese swords you need licenses to export them and import them. job's likely didn't know that rule before purchase, japs get very anal on the exportation of their swords..

gossip rags are bad in japan they very seldom confirm **** before they print....
post #17 of 32 Old 06-06-2011, 02:56 PM

I don't agree with you...apple products are awesome
post #18 of 32 Old 06-06-2011, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John.Stinger View Post
I don't agree with you...apple products are awesome
And by the way, i have been an apple customer for more than 10 years, and was never dissappointed...
post #19 of 32 Old 06-06-2011, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
And by the way, i have been an apple customer for more than 10 years, and was never dissappointed...
Well, everyone has different experiences. Read my post # 12 above for my experience.
post #20 of 32 Old 06-06-2011, 03:11 PM

Quote:
p.s. what was he wearing at the wwdc conference today?
post #21 of 32 Old 06-06-2011, 03:12 PM

Quote:
p.s. what was he wearing at the wwdc conference today?
erkq, you are right, i wasnt replying to your post=)
post #22 of 32 Old 11-06-2011, 10:34 PM

Hi,

I think Steve jobs was really a visionary men. He give us so many advance equipment. Specially Apple iphone is really excellent.
post #23 of 32 Old 11-17-2011, 10:09 AM

perhaps he was assassinated by the government because he posed to much of a threat as a ninja...
post #24 of 32 Old 04-10-2012, 11:34 AM

He was assassinated by rival nijas.
post #25 of 32 Old 05-07-2012, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandystevees View Post

Steven Paul "Steve" Jobs was an American businessman, designer and inventor. He is best known as the co-founder, chairman, and chief executive officer of Apple's company.

You're kidding, right?
post #26 of 32 Old 05-07-2012, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Isn't there a more sophisticated name/term for ninja throwing stars?

Since we are getting a little off topic...curious to know how much it would cost Apple if they choose to manufacture their products in the US? Why not give US firms a chance? If the infrastructure is not in place, why not?

Apple has $100B in cash. Yup, that is billion, in the "bank." So, US companies manufacturer Apple products, Apple only has what, $90B?

I am not going to accept "cheap Chinese labor" for an answer either. Sorry.

I am picking on Apple but I want to know why all US firms can't do this.

post #27 of 32 Old 05-07-2012, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by properbostonian View Post

Isn't there a more sophisticated name/term for ninja throwing stars?

Since we are getting a little off topic...curious to know how much it would cost Apple if they choose to manufacture their products in the US? Why not give US firms a chance? If the infrastructure is not in place, why not?

Apple has $100B in cash. Yup, that is billion, in the "bank." So, US companies manufacturer Apple products, Apple only has what, $90B?

I am not going to accept "cheap Chinese labor" for an answer either. Sorry.

I am picking on Apple but I want to know why all US firms can't do this.

They wouldn't have that $100B in the bank if they manufactured in the US. If they started now, that $100B would get smaller and smaller instead of larger and eventually come to an end. It wouldn't just magically stop at the $90B level.

It's a global economy and will become a global standard of living.
post #28 of 32 Old 05-07-2012, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Jobs doesn't need no throwing stars, his most potent weapon is, in front of everyone he calls you a Bozo who even Microsoft wont hire.

Uhhh... even people who fly private planes get searched by TSA, albeit the line is ALOT shorter.

Solution: FREE. Explanation: I will have to charge$ you.

post #29 of 32 Old 05-07-2012, 02:52 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post

They wouldn't have that $100B in the bank if they manufactured in the US. If they started now, that $100B would get smaller and smaller instead of larger and eventually come to an end. It wouldn't just magically stop at the $90B level.

It's a global economy and will become a global standard of living.

There is another word for it, slave labor.
post #30 of 32 Old 05-07-2012, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekUGA View Post

There is another word for it, slave labor.

Interesting that thousands of people travel thousands of miles and stand in line for days to be slaves. Evidently, in China these jobs are very desirable. The pay seems extremely low compared to US standards but then so is the cost of food and housing.

If you do not approve of Foxconn you are free not to purchase any Apple products. But don't buy any other electronics made in China because most come from the same factory.
Reply Community News & Polls

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page