Toshiba Unveils First Consumer 3D Flatpanel-TV Without Glasses - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 10-04-2010, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Toshiba Unveils First Consumer 3D Flatpanel-TV Without Glasses

Toshiba today announced at CEATEC 2010, Japan's biggest consumer electronics show, its first commercially available 3D TVs that can be used without glasses. With the two TVs, one with a screen size of 12'' (30.5 cm) and another with 20'' (50.8 cm), viewers get a three dimensional viewing experience comfortably, without the need to wear 3D glasses. The products will be available by the end of December 2010 in Japan. The newly developed technological innovation for 3D-TVs without glasses uses an integral imaging system. It provides nine different perspectives (parallaxes) of each single 2D frame which the viewer's brain superimposes to create a 3-dimensional impression of the image. Toshiba achieved this thanks to its engineers' huge knowledge of display technology and of semiconductor and software design. They developed a powerful engine and an algorithm to extrapolate these perspectives out of the 2D frame and used a perpendicular lenticular sheet, an array of lenses, that enable the viewer's brain to superimpose the perspectives. It also offers a wide viewing area in front of the display and allows movement of the eyes and head without disrupting the 3D image and without the discomfort sometimes associated with other 'glasses-less' 3D technologies.

For links and more stories visit the Hot Stories section at HomeToys.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-07-2010, 07:49 AM

Liked: 10
Yawn.

From what I've heard, you have to sit directly in front of the TV to get the effect... Anyone else off to the side doesn't see 3-D.

BMW: Happiness is the next curve.
post #3 of 6 Old 10-07-2010, 11:16 AM

It is great step in the right direction though.
post #4 of 6 Old 10-07-2010, 01:08 PM

Hey Bob, I think you should re-title your post: Toshiba Unveils *Its* First Consumer 3D Flatpanel-TV Without Glasses.

I.e. it may be *Toshiba's* first lenticular-based 3D screen but it is by no means the first to market. You may make the argument though that it is the first lenticular 3D "TV" that conforms to the HDMI 1.4 3D spec interface (not sure if that is the case or not).
post #5 of 6 Old 10-12-2010, 11:19 AM

I'd like to see this in operation at a store to see what its like. I hate the glasses.
post #6 of 6 Old 10-13-2010, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwracer View Post

Yawn.

From what I've heard, you have to sit directly in front of the TV to get the effect... Anyone else off to the side doesn't see 3-D.

Reminds me of a quote from the movie "Can't Hardly Wait"

William: Witness Exhibit A: My 8th Grade science project - a working rain forest. Mike Dexter threw it out a third story window. It rains here no more. Witness Exhibit B: An eye patch I wore for a month after Mike beaned me with a raisin in home ec. My parents took me to a 3D film. I saw no third dimension. And of course, how could I forget the pudding incident? I know no one else has. Well gentlemen, tonight, Mike Dexter will know humiliation. Tonight Mike Dexter will know ridicule. Tonight is the night we fight back. Tonight is our independence night.
Reply Community News & Polls

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page