A Galaxy GeForce GTX 460 WHDI Model in the Works - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 10-07-2010, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
A Galaxy GeForce GTX 460 WHDI Model in the Works

Wireless Home Digital Interface, or WHDI, is a technology used to wirelessly stream content from a computer to your TV. Typically, this content has been HD videos streamed from a laptop to an HDTV. But what if there was a video card that had this same technology so you could wirelessly stream a video game to your big screen TV? Well, Galaxy and Amimon are partnering up to embed Amimon's WHDI technology in a GeForce GTX 460. The new card will be known as the Galaxy GeForce GTX 460 WHDI Edition and comes with an adapter you plug in to your TV. Once the video card is installed in your system, all the content will be able to be streamed to your TV, even when you play video games. The WHDI technology delivers uncompressed 1080p video at 60Hz up to 100 feet away, you can even stream HDCP content provided your TV can support it. Curiously, the GTX 460 WHDI Edition does not appear to have any vents on the rear of the card so your guess is as good as mine as to how the temperatures will be inside your case. The Galaxy GeForce GTX 460 WHDI Edition video card will be available in October though no mention was made of pricing.

For links and more stories visit the Hot Stories section at HomeToys.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-07-2010, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 24
This is great news. My media room currently has a 61" RPTV, and during renovation time a lot of speaker wire (for an 11.2 system) was done. My main A/V source is an HTPC. I thought about future upgrades to a projector, but decided against wiring 40 ft of HDMI in-wall.

I figured that by the time I was ready to buy a projector, there would be affordable alternatives to send the HD signal wirelessly to my display device. It seems the day has finally come, or will do soon. I'll wait for the technology to trickle down to lower power HTPC-oriented video cards before looking into getting one, though.
post #3 of 6 Old 10-10-2010, 05:00 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I didn't decide against it Pretty cheap HDMI over CAT6 working flawlessly coming in right behind the TV. I've never really been a wireless type of guy I like stability.
post #4 of 6 Old 10-11-2010, 11:08 AM

Liked: 10
I don't trust networking I can't see
post #5 of 6 Old 10-12-2010, 02:39 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I'm interested in this, I have about 500 dvds backed up on my computer. It is so much easier to search for what I want to watch this way, rather than digging through piles of cases or flip through pages after page in a folder. There are movies that I like and movies for my wife and kids on my pc, if they could each watch what they wanted in some room other than my computer room without having to wire the whole house, that would be sweet.
post #6 of 6 Old 10-12-2010, 05:00 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
After all of the headaches trying to get a media server that works in streaming stuff in a format the PS3 will like and at good quality, I might just be ready to have something that will make my home theater look exactly like a second monitor and audio device to the computer, even if I have to control it with remote desktop.

I look forward to seeing what this can do, and how well the wireless holds up in real environments.
Reply Community News & Polls

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page