AVSForum Android App Open Beta - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1 of 90 Old 10-12-2010, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Greetings, all. I am finally getting close to releasing the Android version of AVSForum!

I need to get a few beta testers that have Android phones and are willing to report issues and help me test the app to get all the last minute bugs out.

If you are interested, your Android phone must be running at least version 1.5 of the OS.

For Push Notifications to work, you will need Android OS 2.2 or higher.

I expect to get flooded with requests, so I will respond to you as I need beta testers. If you don't get a response within a couple days, I likely had enough testers to handle -- you might get picked up later if needed!

Thanks again!

To request to be a Android AVSForum Beta Tester please e-mail the following to:

avsbeta *AT* forumrunner *DOT* net

1) What Android Device and OS Version you are using
2) What your google account e-mail is that you use to sign into the device (Need this for whitelisting on the license servers).

I will respond back with directions on how to proceed!

Thanks again!

Rob

My Home Theater Build: The Vortex Theater Build
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 90 Old 10-13-2010, 05:04 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 43
AVS happy to be working closely with Rob on the new Android version of the AVSFroum app. We know it has been some time, but with all that has taken place and the learning that was needed to make the app, we hope you enjoy it.

So let the betas begin!

Thanks to all that choose to help out on this project. And remember...this is a BETA. So please do not yell and scream that something does not work. Just please kindly, and calmly, report it and/or how to reproduce it if needed.

David Bott
Founder - AVSForum

DISCLAIMER: All spelling and grammatical errors done on purpose for the proofreadingly challenged...:)

post #3 of 90 Old 10-13-2010, 08:12 AM

Liked: 10
I'll be happy to Beta as a way of giving back. Sent email.
post #4 of 90 Old 10-13-2010, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter

Beta links have been sent out to everyone who has sent a mail currently. Keep them coming!

post #5 of 90 Old 10-13-2010, 08:22 AM

Posting from the App now and found a problem. You have replaced the new line/enter key with the Smiley face button. Also, I have to create a forum runner account to get push notifications working? I haven't used an app that uses push yet but will this be in final? Seems like a major pain just for that one feature.

Edit- From my PC now... After posting said reply it posted it (as I can see it here), but it kicked into a white screen with "AVS Forum Android App Open Beta" across the top. Posting from my PC, I'd expect my latest post to show up at this point but inside this app it just kicks into a blank screen I've got to back out of.
post #6 of 90 Old 10-13-2010, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechieSooner View Post

I'll be happy to Beta as a way of giving back. Sent email.

Add Me!....just sent the email too
post #7 of 90 Old 10-13-2010, 10:15 AM

Excellent, just installed with 0 issues on an original Motorola Droid. Poking around now.

Do tell though, do you prefer feedback here in the forum, or in private message?

Excess Energy in everything
XSNRG Rec/Theater Build
post #8 of 90 Old 10-13-2010, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsnrg View Post

Excellent, just installed with 0 issues on an original Motorola Droid. Poking around now.

Do tell though, do you prefer feedback here in the forum, or in private message?

Here or email is fine. Ill be checking this forum pretty regularly.

post #9 of 90 Old 10-13-2010, 10:23 AM

Running so far very smooth and with better response than my work PC

This is on a Samsung Moment and I'm glad to see that something works on it

So far so good! Great Job!!
post #10 of 90 Old 10-13-2010, 10:24 AM

Reply from app - test. -- editing

XSNRG Rec/Theater Build
post #11 of 90 Old 10-13-2010, 10:28 AM

editing a reply has the smiley face issue. No return key in the edit field.

Also, if it would leave you at the current entries in the thread instead of returning you to the top, that would be preferred. This is more of a usability thing than a bug though.

All other features are working great thus far, thanks for the work on this app!

XSNRG Rec/Theater Build
post #12 of 90 Old 10-13-2010, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitsuHelp View Post

Running so far very smooth and with better response than my work PC

This is on a Samsung Moment and I'm glad to see that something works on it

So far so good! Great Job!!

Nice!!

post #13 of 90 Old 10-13-2010, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Already emailed a bit of this, but figured I'd post here for others.

Installed just fine on the HTC Evo 4G. Seems to be running fine.

found 1 issue: You can mark a subforum as a favorite but cannot actually pull up your favorites (the functionality is missing). Developer has confirmed this is a holdover from the forerunner app (which I guess this is based on) and should be adding it.

I also pointed out that I have accidentally exited out of the app about a dozen (more like two dozen by now) times. With so many forums within forums (subforums) at AVS it's easy to get lost and back up one too many times and have to go back into the app. Same if I press "Search" (the one along the bottom) and do a search...pressing back exits the app, doesn't take you back to the search screen.

Some (all?) of this is my fault/user error since it's not a browser, but thought I'd point it out in case something can be done with navigation of the app. I think this will be easily rectified once the "favorites" functionality is working, since I won't really be browsing like I am now, and instead just jumping to my favorite subforums.

Other than that, looking and working good. Glad to finally have this, and it works similar to Tapatalk.

For a couple of suggestions, in the list of threads, I'd like to know who the last post was created by, if possible to add this (just a nice to have). It would also be nice if the Menu -> Search option took you to the same place as the "search" option at the bottom. At least I think it would make more sense than having two search options that go two separate places.
post #14 of 90 Old 10-13-2010, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

editing a reply has the smiley face issue. No return key in the edit field.

Wow, that's a pretty big oversight! Not sure how I missed that. Maybe in the emulator it doesn't have that. Anyway I've fixed it. I'll deploy it in the next Beta.

Quote:

Also, if it would leave you at the current entries in the thread instead of returning you to the top, that would be preferred. This is more of a usability thing than a bug though.

All other features are working great thus far, thanks for the work on this app!

What do you mean by "If it would leave you at the current entries in the thread instead of returning you to the top"? Can you elaborate?

post #15 of 90 Old 10-13-2010, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mproper View Post

Already emailed a bit of this, but figured I'd post here for others.

Installed just fine on the HTC Evo 4G. Seems to be running fine.

found 1 issue: You can mark a subforum as a favorite but cannot actually pull up your favorites (the functionality is missing). Developer has confirmed this is a holdover from the forerunner app (which I guess this is based on) and should be adding it.

I have to figure out a good place in the UI to put this. Until then I'm just going to remove it. It will be added back later.

Quote:

I also pointed out that I have accidentally exited out of the app about a dozen (more like two dozen by now) times. With so many forums within forums (subforums) at AVS it's easy to get lost and back up one too many times and have to go back into the app. Same if I press "Search" (the one along the bottom) and do a search...pressing back exits the app, doesn't take you back to the search screen.

If I go to Search tab & enter a search and hit "Search" and get results, and hit "Back" it goes back to the Search page. Is this not what you are seeing?

Maybe I can make a confirmation option that you can enable that will verify that you want to exit the forum if you hit back one too many times. It will be default off but you can enable it. Think this would be a good solution?

Quote:

Some (all?) of this is my fault/user error since it's not a browser, but thought I'd point it out in case something can be done with navigation of the app. I think this will be easily rectified once the "favorites" functionality is working, since I won't really be browsing like I am now, and instead just jumping to my favorite subforums.

Other than that, looking and working good. Glad to finally have this, and it works similar to Tapatalk.

For a couple of suggestions, in the list of threads, I'd like to know who the last post was created by, if possible to add this (just a nice to have). It would also be nice if the Menu -> Search option took you to the same place as the "search" option at the bottom. At least I think it would make more sense than having two search options that go two separate places.

Menu->Search is for searching the current subforum, much like if you clicked on "Search Subforum" and the text box appears on the website - its meant for a simple text search, not a full fledged search like the Search menu.

Thanks for the comments!

post #16 of 90 Old 10-13-2010, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonJeeper View Post

If I go to Search tab & enter a search and hit "Search" and get results, and hit "Back" it goes back to the Search page. Is this not what you are seeing?

Maybe I can make a confirmation option that you can enable that will verify that you want to exit the forum if you hit back one too many times. It will be default off but you can enable it. Think this would be a good solution?

Hmmm...ok, forget I said anything about that. I could've sworn it was doing that (exiting on back) but it's not. Maybe I was at the search screen (and not the results) and was expecting to go back to the forums (rather than exit). May have jumped the gun a bit...sorry.

I would like the option to verify an exit, but that's just me....maybe I'm the only one who is having problems (again, I realize it's my own fault). I'll let others chime in.

Also, disappointed to hear the favorites functionality will be ripped out until later, but understand. Hopefully it's not too long. As for UI placement, I'd like it right next to the "forums" icon at the bottom (the second one from the left). Looks like you have room for one more icon when in landscape mode without having to scroll left/right (and you already have to scroll when in portrait mode anyways). Another nice-to-have, but if the favorites is implemented, I'd also like an option to default to that tab. Tapatalk has this option, which is nice, since as soon as I open the app, I am seeing only those forums I care about.

On a side note, I don't see this smilie issue, but I'm guessing that's something with my phone (using stock keyboard on Sense UI)

As long as I'm talking UI, I'd rather see it set up without having to scroll left-right for the items on the bottom. Not to compare it to Tapatalk (because I know it's not), but I like that TT has only 5 items across the top: Latest, Forums, Favorites, PM, and More (which contains Profile, Who's Online, and Search). I just feel that's cleaner...in fact, it took a few minutes of looking for that stuff before I even realized that you could scroll left/right on the bottom of the AVS app...I only noticed the additional options because I flipped my phone into Landscape mode, where they showed up.

Just a thought I thought I'd share. I don't want to get into nitpicky UI things, since I realize it's personal preference, but thought I'd share.
post #17 of 90 Old 10-13-2010, 11:11 AM

Quote:

What do you mean by "If it would leave you at the current entries in the thread instead of returning you to the top"? Can you elaborate?

After I post a response to a thread, the view I am returned to is the top of that thread page instead of where I just posted to. If I am the 8th poster on the page, it would be nice to be returned to the 8th position on the page instead of the 1st. I am not sure if this is even easily possible, but was an observation I wanted to share.

It is a pretty small thing, and can live with just scrolling down if it is not easily implemented.

Does that make any sense?

XSNRG Rec/Theater Build
post #18 of 90 Old 10-13-2010, 11:28 AM

Quote:

No.
Those are a pain in the butt.

I'd actually not like back to not kick you out of the app, and have a Menu-Exit operation or a big exit button on a home screen or something, like games do.

But I think above that, somehow giving the user a sense of where they're at (breadcrums at the top???) will solve this issue in and of itself.

Quote:

After I post a response to a thread, the view I am returned to is the top of that thread page instead of where I just posted to. If I am the 8th poster on the page, it would be nice to be returned to the 8th position on the page instead of the 1st. I am not sure if this is even easily possible, but was an observation I wanted to share.

This. In my case it didn't even load up the whole page which is why I saw nothing but blank/white... Could've been a one-time network issue or something. But yes this needs to go back to the last post made.
post #19 of 90 Old 10-13-2010, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

It is a pretty small thing, and can live with just scrolling down if it is not easily implemented.

Does that make any sense?

Yep. I'll fix this in 1.0.2.

post #20 of 90 Old 10-13-2010, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

I seem to be having an issue where the app doesn't exit...like I'll leave it for an hour or so then re-open it and it comes up right away (no splash screen). If I try to do anything, it force closes on me and then I have to open it again (which produces the splash screen).

Not sure if I can provide more info or what you'd be looking for...can't seem to reproduce it on a whim but its happened 2 or 3 times today.
post #21 of 90 Old 10-13-2010, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I seem to be having an issue where the app doesn't exit...like I'll leave it for an hour or so then re-open it and it comes up right away (no splash screen). If I try to do anything, it force closes on me and then I have to open it again (which produces the splash screen).

Not sure if I can provide more info or what you'd be looking for...can't seem to reproduce it on a whim but its happened 2 or 3 times today.

Hmm. It won't "Exit" unless you "Back" your way all the way out of it.

It will be in the background if you hit Home and go run something else.

I'll try some testing to see if I can debug the issue.

post #22 of 90 Old 10-14-2010, 05:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hmm. It won't "Exit" unless you "Back" your way all the way out of it.

It will be in the background if you hit Home and go run something else.

I'll try some testing to see if I can debug the issue.

Thanks. I've tried several times to leave it running in the background, then going back into it, with no problems. I just did it again and am going to let it sit for an hour or so and try again (will let you know). Would it just be timing out in the background or the OS dropping something for memory management (sorry if that doesn't make sense)?

I am not using a task killer, FYI.
post #23 of 90 Old 10-14-2010, 06:37 AM

I'm new here, but a huge Android fan.

I'm sending the email now
post #24 of 90 Old 10-14-2010, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks. I've tried several times to leave it running in the background, then going back into it, with no problems. I just did it again and am going to let it sit for an hour or so and try again (will let you know). Would it just be timing out in the background or the OS dropping something for memory management (sorry if that doesn't make sense)?

I am not using a task killer, FYI.

grrr...let is sit about 90 minutes and it was still working fine (did not FC). Sorry I can't reproduce, but figured I'd make you aware it happened a few (2 or 3) times yesterday.
post #25 of 90 Old 10-14-2010, 07:31 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzTM View Post

I'm new here, but a huge Android fan.

I'm sending the email now

Welcome to AVSForum Bonz.

David Bott
Founder - AVSForum

DISCLAIMER: All spelling and grammatical errors done on purpose for the proofreadingly challenged...:)

post #26 of 90 Old 10-14-2010, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter

Hmm. Yeah I'd like to remove all the sporadic force close errors. They are hard to debug without the log from the phone when they occur though. Unless they are easily reproducible..

Thanks for the help though!

So those who have been using it and HAVEN'T sent me messages back, how is it looking? If you are running it with no issues, post up because that is useful information as well! If I don't hear from you I have to assume that you aren't using it at all. :-)

post #27 of 90 Old 10-14-2010, 01:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I have it up and running on my HTC Desire. If this message gets posted things are running good so far.

PSN = Hatcher14
post #28 of 90 Old 10-14-2010, 02:26 PM
Advanced Member

Just sent my request. Noticed I forgot to list my Google mail account, but I sent it from there, so you should be ok.

I should note that my gmail account is in no way associated with my AVS stuff. I'm assuming this shouldn't matter. Editing a post. No new-line key, just a smiley key.

Built on a tight budget: The Cheap Seats Cinema
post #29 of 90 Old 10-14-2010, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Ok, I have two minor issues I found today.
  1. I replied to a message and someone else's avatar showed up on my screen. I grabbed a screenshot cause I thought it might correct itself if I went back into it, and it did, so this is pretty minor....was just odd to see. The thread is here, and the other avatar is apparently Raistlin_HT's, who posted earlier in that thread.
  2. In the process of trying to attach the screenshot that's below, I discovered that it wouldn't upload...it just hung at 0% for a couple of minutes, and then I cancelled it. I tried several times (on both 3G and wifi) and could never get it to upload. I finally just threw it up at an image hosting site:

post #30 of 90 Old 10-15-2010, 11:12 AM
Advanced Member

Just installed the update to 1.0.2

Thanks for putting back the return key!

I'll continue to poke around

Edit: and posting now returns you to the post you just made

Built on a tight budget: The Cheap Seats Cinema
Closed Thread Community News & Polls