How do you stream media around your home? - Page 3 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: When streaming digial media over your local network, what net connection do you use?
Wireless B Connection 0 0%
Wireless G Connection 0 0%
Wireless N Connection 0 0%
10/100 Ethernet Wired Connection 0 0%
Gigabit Ethernet Connection 0 0%
Powerline Connection 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 98 Old 10-25-2010, 01:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have Charter 16 Mbps cable internet connected to a D-link wireless N router, with my Xbox 360, Bluray, and PVR wired using Cat5, then I have a wireless N adapter on my upstairs "media player" PC, and then a wireless G usb adapter on my wife's computer. Just got it all installed Saturday, but so far I'm getting 15.5 Mbps DL on my computer, even though it's on a separate floor, so I'm pretty happy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 98 Old 10-25-2010, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Bott View Post

We have a section for networking the home for such things...so we removed the confusion with the other name.

"Networking, Media Servers & Content Streamers"

Some kind of notice in the AVD&N subforum would have been appropriate.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post19352339

It's where I spend half my time at AVS, learning about networking.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #63 of 98 Old 10-25-2010, 04:11 PM

Desktop (media server) is wired to the router. Xbox + PS3 are also wired. However, my laptop is wireless N (though our router is wireless G). So a mixture of wireless G and Ethernet. Could easily add ethernet to the laptop for streaming to as it sits under my Panasonic S2 right near our router.

No highs, no lows, must be Blose!
post #64 of 98 Old 10-25-2010, 06:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Your missing MoCa as an option. I'm running a set, to stream to a second TV with very good results.

Guess this was already mentioned, so I now second it. lol.

PSN: CAPTDANMAN
post #65 of 98 Old 10-25-2010, 10:15 PM

The whole house is wired with two seperate networks each on Coax and Cat5e (2x Coax, 1xGigE, 1x4-line Phone). I currently have a 10/100 Router/Switch in the network panel that handles most of the rooms and supplies 802.11bg on 2.4GHz and 802.11n on 5.8GHz, each encrypted with a password (802.11n's password and encryption are up to Government specs and are for my personal use - guests can ask for the password to my 802.11g network for their devices). There's also an unmanaged TrendNet GigE switch in the Living Room allowing gigabit communication between devices there.

Eventually, the current Router/Switch will be moved solely into a Router/Wireless AP capacity, with another TrendNet unmanaged GigE switch being thrown in the closet for whole-house gigabit networking and gaming. The router runs DD-WRT firmware for more customization over settings, QoS, filtering, and firewall exceptions.

Devices in the Living Room are 100% wired:
Nintendo Wii (10/100 via USB)
Xbox 360 (10/100, gaming only)
Sony 60GB Playstation 3 (SACD/BD/CD/Audio Player, 10/100/1000)
Western Digital WDTV Live (10/100, used for HD DVD/DVD streaming, soon to be replaced by Netgear NTV550 for BD/ISO streaming)
Slingbox PRO (10/100)

There's also a Wired PC in the Office using a 10/100/1000 connection.

Wireless Devices primarily use 802.11g, due to a lack of full 802.11n support:
iPad (802.11n when available)
iPhone4 (802.11g, no support for 802.11a/n 5.8GHz)
HP Mini 311 Netbook (802.11g only)

Gigabit Ethernet, in my opinion, should be a basic feature of any new home, with fiber being the preferred "premium" backbone. As it stands, though, most builders still go "Cat-fif-wha?" when you mention Ethernet, so I doubt this will become the norm anytime soon. I quite like that the builder ran four seperate coms networks + security, but I'm disappointed that they ran Cat3 cable for the Security setup. I'm also disappointed that they didn't pull the spare inputs like they were asked, in case primary CATV/FTTH lines fail.

And for the numbers geeks out there, the incoming net connection is 30Mbps down and 1Mbps up, meaning everyone can stream Netflix or videos in 1080p without bogging down the gamers or network. It's a dream.
post #66 of 98 Old 10-26-2010, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My bedroom Samsung BD-C6500, my Droid X, my main htpc and my laptop all share nicely on 80211.n. I can even stream 720p recordings from my phone to the TVs, while using the phone as a remote. This kind of thing would have cost a fortune just a year ago. Vudu HDX looks fantastic.
post #67 of 98 Old 10-26-2010, 01:07 PM

Netgear 10/100 connects via cat5 to DirecTv DVR, Sony 1080P laptop & HTPC in the viewing room for DirecTv2PC playback. Netgear Super-G wireless feeds Iphone and netbook in bedroom. Very stable internet in the country with Charter Cable 30 miles SW of Fort Worth, TX. Go Rangers.
post #68 of 98 Old 10-27-2010, 04:11 AM

My house has a hub with cable running to each room that includes 2 fiber, 2 Cat5 & 2 RG6. The Hub in the basement uses a Linksys wireless for my kids lap tops & PS3 as well as hardwired for offices. RG6 for distribution of Comcast TV to all rooms.

But fiber is not used at all - it is not terminated (just bare ends)...what would be a good cost saving option as I am not sure what to do with them? Thanks for insight/info.
post #69 of 98 Old 10-27-2010, 11:27 PM

Server is on 100 base T. New Apple TV on wireless G.

Tried both on wireless and found hard wiring the server works better for HD content.

5Mbs DSL from O2 connects us to the outside world.

My HD DVD player is NOT for sale.
post #70 of 98 Old 10-28-2010, 12:29 PM
emf

Liked: 11
No streaming in my place

For watching TV, the antenna directs hi-def channels to the family room and a 46 inch panel TV.

For movies, a projector throws a picture on a screen in a darkened living room. Movies originate from disc: LaserDisc, DVD, HD-DVD, BD.

For music, both family room and living room have turntables, players, amplifiers, and speakers. In addition, a favorite place to enjoy music is in my car.

What about bedroom, bathroom, and kitchen? What about when I'm taking a walk? Those places give you silence and escape from too much media. When you find yourself screaming Let me off this merry-go-round Let me off you are modern man and you're swamped by media.
post #71 of 98 Old 10-29-2010, 05:44 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I'm renting the basement level of a split level. Internet connection is Charter 16mb/s. Owner of the house has a Cable Modem/Wireless G all-in-one thing upstairs. Internet speed seems to be ok to my laptop and computer, although my wireless N desktop seems to have some intermittent connection problems and pingtest.net gives my internet an F because of packet loss.

I don't think I'm going to be able to run cable in the house, so what's going to be the best way to get a hardwired connection for my desktop and my Panasonic G25? Is the powerline ethernet thing I've read about going to be a good solution? Would I be able to buy my own modem and plug that in downstairs and have two modems in the house? Any recommendations much appreciated.
post #72 of 98 Old 10-30-2010, 08:43 AM

Liked: 17
From my experience the Powerline option is not reliable for streaming. Advertised speeds are just that. Instead expect a jerky 1/10 that.
Really I should just throw mine in the trash.

The best of Wireless N is excellent. There are two bands - 2.4 and 5GHz. 2.4 goes further than 5, but 5 is typically less crowded.

Then the bandwidth can set (150/300mbs) depending upon the quality of the chips in the router and in the PC. 300 has twice the data rate capacity of 150.

Each wireless system needs occasional tweaking (setting channels) as more people connect and competing neighborhood networks interfere.

The best way to optimize is to open the router web page, set channels and copy large (dvd) files between computers while observing the networking tab of the Windows Task Manager. The less spikes the better.
post #73 of 98 Old 10-30-2010, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 752
Gigabit wired thru out the house 2 1080p displays, 3 computers with 1080p displays , 2 HD D*TV boxes & Onkyo A/V
as for a wired router I use a gigabit D-Link DGL-4100 & D-Link DGS-2205 gigabit switches @ the different rooms

runs like the wind ! multitask streaming from 8Mbs DSL & the home network

Mike

JAZZ IS NOT DEAD IT JUST SMELLS FUNNY ; FRANK ZAPPA
post #74 of 98 Old 10-30-2010, 06:39 PM
Advanced Member

I use Comcast as my TV and ISP.

I have a 16-port GE switch and a DLINK DIR-655 Wireless N 4-port GE Router. Cables are Cat 5 and Cat 6. All desktops and Laptops support both Wireless N and GE NICs.

I use a 4TB Seagate Black Armor NAS for media distribution and PC backup, which has a GE interface.

TVs and BR players are Wired. I prefer the reliability of a wired connection.

Wireless N does not completely cover my house, even after relocating my equipment closet to the middle of my basement, which is why I have converted to wired connections for all audio and video. I was fortunate that I wired "cat 5 home run" connections from every room, when I built my house.

For lower level and basement rooms, I ran additional cat 6 cables for each location. so I have two GE connections at each location on the first level (TV and BR). In the basement, I have three (3) cat 6 cables each for my kid's media room and my HT (TV, BR and TIVO).

Now you know why I need so many GE ports.

I use Monoprice for all of my cables. You cannot beat their price or service and they offer a variety of colors that help organize a large number of connections.

I only use the wireless N connection for browsing the internet via the laptops.
post #75 of 98 Old 10-31-2010, 10:13 AM

Our house was pre-wired with five "multi-media outlets". They're located in the living room, bonus room, master bedroom, kitchen, and patio. Each outlet box has two coaxial cables and one CAT5e cable that are routed to a 14"x28" panel in the laundry room. Each outlet's faceplate has two BNCs, one RJ-11 (phone), and one RJ-45 (data). The CAT5e cables have four unshielded twisted pairs. Where all four pairs are used for GbE, there's no phone line. This hasn't been much of a problem because we mainly use a cordless phone system.

All external services (cable, phone, etc.) are routed to the central panel which houses the security system, punch down blocks, cable modem, router, switch, etc. The WIFI router (acting as an access point) is also in the washroom, but it's on a shelf so it's outside the metal panel.

All computers are running Windows 7 with Media Center. The "Fusion MC" PC receives basic cable, and is connected to an OTA antenna for (HD) ATSC. We can record/watch two channels of each, simultaneously. LiveTV is available on Fusion MC and the XBOX 360 in the bonus room (MC Extender). Recorded TV is available throughout the house. We run both Gb and 100Mb Ethernet as shown in the attached picture, and can also stream recorded TV to the laptop over 802.11n wireless.

Details on the media center PC are available in my profile.
LL
post #76 of 98 Old 11-01-2010, 06:03 AM

Hi David,

I use both 10/100 & Gigabit ethernet for the computers plus wireless B/G for netbooks & Control4 but also have Muxed my cable w/Channel Vision & low pass filter. Computers can go to gigabit, so media server (unRaid) can send multiple simultaneous video/music streams to different computers throughout home. Cable (or previously Satellite) can also send any channel to any TV (via RG6 Quad including Digital channels), with DVR(s) playing on separate channels.

For my setup I utilize channel 82 (old) VCR, 84 (housewide) DVD, 86 DVR (Bresnan), 88 open (formerly DVR from satellite). I've used this system since 2003 and it works well, though as we begin to replace the TV's with HD units, I may run into some problems. Every room has multiple Cat5e & TV (RG6 Quad) outlets with a central amp & 16-way splitter at the demark.

Best I could do considering the technology 7-8 years ago!

Dave

Archivist
post #77 of 98 Old 11-01-2010, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I use Gigabit backbone.

Wireless N was not capable of streaming a single device HD video to my Xbox360 acting as Media Center Extender in my environment and I have 3 devices that can be operational at the same time. It also had an extremely laggy interface. I ran Cat5e and have no issues with all 3 streaming HD simultaneously and interface is smooth.
post #78 of 98 Old 11-01-2010, 10:35 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 13
All gigabit here.

I use PS3 Media Server to serve up my music and video to all my DLNA gear (PS3, Xbox 360, Denon AVR-4311CI, Denon AVR-3808CI, etc).

I have a Linksys WRT610N (Simultaneous Dual-N Band Gigabit Wireless Router). One D-Link 8-port gigabit switch. Four D-Link 5-port gigabit switches. All of my rooms have been pre-wired with Cat5e cabling. All other cables (I make them myself) are Cat5e as well.

My network is wicked fast. I have no problems streaming 1080p at all.

Never argue with an idiot; they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Counsil Basement HT
post #79 of 98 Old 11-02-2010, 05:35 AM

Hi all,

How do I set my WDNR3700 to accept an N signal? I have a laptop with n card but it only reads G speeds. What do I do?

thanks
post #80 of 98 Old 11-05-2010, 02:21 PM

I had my house built this year and while it was being built I had the builder run 10/100 ethernet for me to the office, all the bedrooms and all the televisions. Using XBox 360/PS3 as well as a LG Blu-Ray player with 10/100 HD divx player, I would say that 100 Megabit is more than enough for streaming video including 1080P.

I was at my brother in laws house where he streams video to his Xbox over 802.11N, I didn't stream any HD content to it, it ran fine, however the difference in load times from pressing play on my XBox with cat 5 and his with wireless was easily a difference of 30 seconds for the movie to actually start playing.

IMO, wired is the best way to go hands down.
post #81 of 98 Old 11-15-2010, 03:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
100 MBit may be all that is needed to stream a Blu-ray.... but what about copying a 40 GB file from one machine to another? I have 100Mbit and Wireless G now, but I really want to add a 1000Mbit switch to my rack and a dedicated N Cisco access point. I will keep the current Cisco G access point so that basic devices like phones can use that. It would be cool to stream Blu-ray to my 1080P laptop screen, or to copy large files over the wireless network.

I can do most of what I want with 100/G but I feel the limitations of it daily, 1000/N is going to be great!
post #82 of 98 Old 11-18-2010, 09:58 AM

I use the D-Link DIR-655 Xtreme N Gigabit Router. It works like a champ. On the other end, I have G-type NIC adaptors. I was considering trying an N-type, but I seem to have no trouble with video quality.
post #83 of 98 Old 04-07-2011, 08:20 PM
AVS Club Gold

for home network distribution, for backbone fiber all the way..

1x 16 port fiber switch
4-6x gigabit switches may need increasing pending on room layout within home
cat-6a for short runs
wireless n 5ghz waste of time running **** on 2.4ghz..

for tv distro i'd use a server to broadcast tv over the network...
the time for rg-6 is no longer needed in each room of house..

i'm also at the opinion of fiber points for network distro to separate power from comms as much as possible..

even cat-6a has a limitation 10gige for distance, also limitation on networked hardware aswell most thing barely sooport 10/100 nevermind gigabit or 10 gige..
post #84 of 98 Old 04-07-2011, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Synology NAS Raid 0, 4TB. Moca ethernet wired to living and bedroom. Also, WiFi N on all that support it.
post #85 of 98 Old 05-14-2011, 10:43 AM

I have use Wireless G for guide data
post #86 of 98 Old 05-15-2011, 04:27 PM

I use only Gigabit Ethernet Connections. I get enough brain tumour anxiety from my cell phone usage.
post #87 of 98 Old 05-24-2011, 03:39 AM

For me the media is actually shared by Xbox 360, Laptop and sometimes even television as my TV comes with the Network setup..
post #88 of 98 Old 06-07-2011, 05:09 AM

GigaByte throughout the house with two HTPC's and 2 Sage TV setups.

ASUS Formula III Rampage MB
Intel I7 960 CPU ATI 5850
12GB RAM 58TB Storage
Windows 7 Ultra 64 Bit
Arcsoft TMT5, Ceton Infinity4
Onkyo 5008 to Samsung HL67A750
post #89 of 98 Old 07-03-2011, 04:17 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Just moved into an apartment with soon-to-be wife. Have both our PC's hooked up with Cat 6, and Roku XDS, Panasonic BD85K, and our laptops with wireless N. Am on Charters 25 down, 3 up plan. Have actually been getting closer to 35 down and 3.5 up. Enjoying it much more than my previous place with a ****** internet and lots of packet loss.
post #90 of 98 Old 07-10-2011, 12:37 PM

At the risk of getting a ban, I use a WDTV media player to which I connect a 1gb HD. Old school stuff eh
Reply Community News & Polls

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page