How do you stream media around your home? - Page 4 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: When streaming digial media over your local network, what net connection do you use?
Wireless B Connection 0 0%
Wireless G Connection 0 0%
Wireless N Connection 0 0%
10/100 Ethernet Wired Connection 0 0%
Gigabit Ethernet Connection 0 0%
Powerline Connection 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 98 Old 07-21-2011, 05:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I use Gigabit Ethernet Connection.

Regards,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 98 Old 08-06-2011, 08:40 PM
Advanced Member

Freenas server OS NAS 12 GB using Gigabit ethernet to stream 1080P and WMA lossless plus FLAC audio to 4 computers ( 2 HTPC's ) and one laptop and one MAC plus 3 WDTV media players .

8 Bell HD receivers ( 2 9242 HD PVR's = 4 receivers ) 4 HD single tuner all with 1 TB external HDD.

All 6 HDTV's ( Samsung 50" 1080P plasma in MB , Panasonic 42" plasma in LR , Epson PJ 720P on a 110" hi-gain screen in Basement HT room , 37 Insignia 120 HZ 1080P LCD - bedroom , 24" insignia LCD - kitchen , 22" dynex LCD in bathroom connected to network via HTPC's and WDTV's plus all getting 16 channels of uncompressed 1080i OTA HDTV via Channel Master 7777 preamp and hi-pass splitter.

The future's so bright I got to wear shades...
post #93 of 98 Old 09-19-2011, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Just used a pair of used Verizon FIOS boxes (with built-in wifi G routers with 4 ethernet ports) to link my 2nd floor router to my basement theater over the existing cable TV wiring. The coax terminal is used as a LAN port like the four ethernet ports on its router, and can encrypt that link. I got my pair of boxes used for $30 each.

The advantage over powerline networking is that cable's a much quieter medium than household AC wiring, which is plagued by noise from electric motors in every home appliance. The MoCA link runs at 100 Mbps.

The only trick was figuring out which cables were which in the junction box, to make sure the runs to each place were on the same two-way splitter (the installer had isolated the run to the 2nd floor apartment because I have Xfinity - which doesn't need that much isolation, just no filtering).

Check out this thread here for how to go about it:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1145636
(Actiontec makes the box that Verizon uses, which is also sold under its own name, which is why the thread is named after it.)

post #94 of 98 Old 09-19-2011, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 17
wow Fios does MoCA? That's awesome.
post #95 of 98 Old 09-19-2011, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_scott View Post

wow Fios does MoCA? That's awesome.

FIOS is only fiber in the street - it comes into the house via coax.

The coax terminal on these boxes can be set up either as a WAN connection - the default setup, in which the box is the master router as well as cable modem - or as a LAN connection, the way you network secondary routers as bridges.

You have to change the boxes' LAN addresses so they're different from each other and the master router (apparently the routing table in the FIOS box is too small to act as the master router for a large network) and turn off their DHCP servers, so the master router stays in charge.

Full instructions are in the thread I linked to above, which was started two years ago by a user here who uses the handle of "xnappo."

One caveat: this works because cable TV, cable internet, and cable telephone, are all placed below 1 GHz, leaving the upper frequencies available for MoCA, which runs in the range between 1 and 1.5 GHz. Instead of a standard splitter, you tie a MoCA box to the line with a "diplexer," which looks like a standard splitter but is a frequency-sensitive device that puts frequencies below 1 GHz out one coax jack and higher frequencies out the other coax jack, marked "Satellite."

As that suggests, Satellite TV uses this frequency range on the coax, so if you're using satellite rather than cable, MoCA is probably not viable for you.

PS No Star Trek or Star Wars in your library?

post #96 of 98 Old 09-19-2011, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philnick View Post

PS No Star Trek or Star Wars in your library?

nice writeup. I use MoCA but I had to buy Netgear boxes. I have Comcast.

and that site is so old. But no, I don't own and Star Trek. I own the Laserdisc rips of Star Wars, but I have been waiting for Lucas to quit messing with them and put out a proper BD. I have a feeling the new ones are all we are going to get
post #97 of 98 Old 09-19-2011, 11:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_scott View Post

nice writeup. I use MoCA but I had to buy Netgear boxes. I have Comcast.

and that site is so old. But no, I don't own and Star Trek. I own the Laserdisc rips of Star Wars, but I have been waiting for Lucas to quit messing with them and put out a proper BD. I have a feeling the new ones are all we are going to get

I have Comcast also - the FIOS boxes are second-hand, the only Verizon equipment I have other than my cellphone.

The main advantage of the FIOS boxes over the Netgear units - other than price - is that they include Wifi access points and 4 ethernet jacks as well.

The funny thing is that the main push behind extending my network to my theater is to have a good enough connection for streaming video for Amazon Prime - a major draw being the availability of all the Star Trek TV shows for free. I started with the original series (known by its acronym, TOS, in trek lingo) in reruns in my twenties (in the 1970s) but I've enjoyed all the series, even the unjustly-maligned Deep Space 9 and Enterprise.

I noticed Serenity in your collection. Great film. My daughter brought back the DVD from college to show to me in the theater. It took me a few days to figure out that the "reavers" - the dreaded outer space zombies - were so named because they were those upon whom the grand biological campaign to eliminate violence and aggression from humanity had worked - wait for it - in reverse.

Serenity and Firefly, the TV series it grew out of, bore more than a passing resemblence to Andromeda, the series Gene Roddenberry's widow, Majel Barret Roddenberry (Nurse Chapel in TOS and Lwaxana Troi in Next Gen - and the voice of all Starfleet computers), created based on plans of his that hadn't been realized before his death. Both Andromeda and Firefly had independent ships with ragtag crews, fighting the good fight with no backup or even a distant command. Firefly tried to put up the facade of being mercenaries, but they were mercenaries with a heart of gold. Han Solo would have identified with them.

post #98 of 98 Old 10-08-2011, 06:01 PM

Reply Community News & Polls

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page