How do you stream media around your home? - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: When streaming digial media over your local network, what net connection do you use?
Wireless B Connection 0 0%
Wireless G Connection 0 0%
Wireless N Connection 0 0%
10/100 Ethernet Wired Connection 0 0%
Gigabit Ethernet Connection 0 0%
Powerline Connection 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 98 Old 10-21-2010, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter
Forum Notification System

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
How do you stream media around your home?

We have a question we care to pose to the community to see where things may be going these days digitally. That being, how do you stream your digital media around the home?

Now you may be doing it in differnt ways and not just one, so you can select multiple choices in this poll.

Also, please feel free to respond below how you may use your digital streaming environment to today's evolving digital world. Do you find wireless enough to stream HD for example? Did you find the need to use a data over a powerline connection as you could not run cables? Let us, and others, know as you just may be helping someone think of something they had not.

Or visit our "Networking Media Servers & Content Streamers" section for help or to offer it. (Yes, we have such a section. )

Thanks all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 98 Old 10-21-2010, 09:38 AM

I selected Gigabit but we are actually using Fiber throughout our home to distribute/stream media.
post #3 of 98 Old 10-21-2010, 09:42 AM

Liked: 10
I've done it over both 100mbps and 1000mbps copper.
Wireless G. And Wireless N.

Selected all of those.

Other than Wireless B they are all capable of it, depending what you're doing, Microsoft is getting ready 1080p streaming down 8-10meg connections.
post #4 of 98 Old 10-21-2010, 09:44 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGo Delicious View Post

I selected Gigabit but we are actually using Fiber throughout our home to distribute/stream media.

WOW!!! Nice backbone! I am guessing though then it goes from that to a switch that is either 10/100/1000 based on the device. Major nice!

David Bott
Founder - AVSForum

DISCLAIMER: All spelling and grammatical errors done on purpose for the proofreadingly challenged...:)

post #5 of 98 Old 10-21-2010, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
While my router does do gigabit(Netgear WNDR3700), my switches do not simply because most of my connected euipment can't handle gigabit anyway

I also used to use wireless for a couple pieces, but decided to go all wired not that long agon and ran cable throughout the house. Makes for a more solid and dependable connection.
post #6 of 98 Old 10-21-2010, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Bott View Post

WOW!!! Nice backbone! I am guessing though then it goes from that to a switch that is either 10/100/1000 based on the device. Major nice!

All switches are GBit. One thing I did not mention, since it was not asked about, is that we are not only distributing/streaming media through fiber but the same fiber cable carries, RS232, IR, USB, Relay/Contact, Data and Voice (VOIP). A single cable carries everything.
post #7 of 98 Old 10-21-2010, 10:36 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Is streaming 1080p through Wireless N possible? I hate wires and would rather not get involved with them. I'm getting a WD Live media box soon and there's no ethernet near the TV. I have a G network right now which I can upgrade to N, but would that suffice?
post #8 of 98 Old 10-21-2010, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
For Video, cat cable. For audio only such as i/tunes/Airports..wirelessN
post #9 of 98 Old 10-21-2010, 10:50 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Nothing terribly advanced, unfortunately; my NAS (soon to be an HP MediaSmart box) goes 10/100 to my FiOS router, and either my PS3s or an X360 pulls stuff down over 802.11g. Given a choice I'd rather have everything wired, though.

...and I need your sweet love, Latina T-Mobile girl!

post #10 of 98 Old 10-21-2010, 11:00 AM
Advanced Member

I stream via 10/100 wired Ethernet. Owning your own home has its advantages. I can drill and knock holes anywhere I want.

I feel I cannot use wireless because I have a business in my home that deals in highly confidential information. No matter how safe people say wireless is, I simply cannot risk broadcasting my work over the entire neighborhood.

If I had tons of money, I might consider fiber, but so far I can't imagine a need for it given current technology and the size of my house. I think gigabit would be more than sufficient. There is also no hope of fiber reaching my property anytime soon, so it would be like filling a swimming pool with a straw.
post #11 of 98 Old 10-21-2010, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I selected both wireless N and 10/100 wired. We use wired connections for most things, but the XBOX is in a strange location and currently has a wireless N connection. Doesn't seem to be a limitation though.
post #12 of 98 Old 10-21-2010, 11:27 AM

Wireless G for all my devices hooked up to SDTV and 10/100 Ethernet Wired Connection for HDTV.
post #13 of 98 Old 10-21-2010, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Gigabit ethernet is the backbone to my home network, but different devices connect at different speeds, depending upon hardware.

1000-Mbps Wired
Media Server
Workstation (x2)

100-Mbps Wired
Xbox 360 (x2)
Blu-ray player (x2)

802.11n
Laptop (x3)

802.11g
Smartphone (x2)
Laptop

Every device in my home is able to stream HD from the server except the Wireless-G devices. Originally, I was going to go wireless with my Xbox 360s, but G wasn't fast enough for some HD content streaming, and N adds noticeable latency to gaming, but wired has no such weaknesses.
post #14 of 98 Old 10-21-2010, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

I had to vote ethernet, but I use DECA with DirecTV, so it's coax networking.
DECA is to DirecTV as MoCa is to CATV.

A.K.A. VOS
post #15 of 98 Old 10-21-2010, 12:48 PM

wireless N does it all for me
post #16 of 98 Old 10-21-2010, 12:49 PM

I use gig network for the actual streaming of the data.

I use Wireless G for guide data.

I have recently moved to the country so there is no Cable or DSL. I use a EVDO Mifi modem which gives me a wireless hotspot for up to 5 machines. I use this for guide data & Internet access to my network.

SageTV v7 WHS + 2 HD200s
Windows Home Server PP3 - Dual Xeon 2.8ghz
23 Drives - 26 Terabytes
Blu-ray Titles 251
HD-DVD Titles 166
DVD Titles - Too Many To Count..
post #17 of 98 Old 10-21-2010, 02:56 PM

I stream pretty good using Wireless G to my PS3. I've done 1080p with only occasional hiccups. I tried upgrading to an N class router, but it didn't seem to improve things any. The biggest factor seems to be where you put the wireless box. It seems to work much better on a high shelf away from other electronics. The same applies to the receiving device.
Another trick to squeeze better performance out of your wireless router is to change the default channel. If there are tons of other wireless routers using the same channel in your neighborhood it can slow yours down. There are free smart phone apps (mine is simply called Wifi Analyzer for Android) that will look at every wifi network around you and tell you the best channel to use for your area. You just have to log into your router and change it and adjust the receiving devices accordingly.

Link: http://www.androlib.com/android.appl...yzer-jFCm.aspx
post #18 of 98 Old 10-21-2010, 04:51 PM

Liked: 13
I have DSL line (6 MB+) going to a D-Link DGL-4300 router in my garage. The HT stuff (PS3, XBox 360, HTPC, D* HR24/500) is hooked up via CAT5e and the rest of the house is wireless B/G.

Cheers,

Jeff

SXRD/Denon/OPPO/HTPC/PS4/PS3/XB360/NHT/HSU
PSN ID: Krondorian
XBL ID: Midkemian
West Coast
Twitter: @Krondo_jd
post #19 of 98 Old 10-21-2010, 07:43 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I use DirecTV's whole audio DVR to get an internet connection to each TV, then I hooked up a laptop to each TV. The laptops have to have a fairly decent video card, however, or else they dont' stream well. Also, the .mkv movies I have on my main computer need to be compressed down to around 10-15gb per movie, or else it gets a little choppy.

Each laptop has Boxxee set to autorun when windows starts, and wake on lan enabled. I control the interface using my iPhone on each PC with hipporemote (which has wake on lan capability).

Tapping into DirecTV's whole home DVR, I was able to essentially get internet throughout my entire house without having to rewire anything.
post #20 of 98 Old 10-21-2010, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
I voted wireless N only, although I have some gigabit involved, too. My Linux server, which hosts media services and a mythtv backend, is connected gigabit to a wireless N access point, and my PS3 and laptop are connnected gigabit to my wireless N router. All the magic happens via wireless N between the router and the access point. Streams 1080p flawlessly. I'm going to be putting together a couple microatx systems running Linux for mythtv frontends for a couple of HDTVs in my home, and they will connect to the wireless N network, as well.

Wireless N is the shiz.

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
post #21 of 98 Old 10-21-2010, 09:27 PM

I voted Wireless G. My main router is a Linksys Wireless N (WRT160n) but my two laptop computers are wireless G. The interesting thing is that I have a Netgear WNDA3100 Wireless N adapter on my TV (Panasonic G25 Plasma) connected to my Wireless N router but the TV reports that it's connected at Wireless G speeds. Hmmmm...

In the future I plan on running a LAN cable to the TV instead of wireless.

Viken K.
post #22 of 98 Old 10-21-2010, 10:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Ps3, wdtv live, wired from pc and router
post #23 of 98 Old 10-22-2010, 05:18 AM

Liked: 17
I purchased a green 16 port Gigabit Cisco Switch for $122 (discontinued) from Amazon with support 9K MTU.

But just because your hardware supports these high speeds does not mean you will get them!

As a test use the Windows Task Manager Networking Chart and copy a large file (like a Dvd.iso) between computers.
Usually to optimize, you need to go into each PC's Ehternet card advanced properties and increase the MTU and turn off interrupt moderation.

Any any event the goal is to get a fairly smooth chart with 60-80% bus loading. The file must be read from a Sata drive, SSD or the new USB 3. Usb 2 will be a lot slower!
post #24 of 98 Old 10-22-2010, 06:13 AM

Wireless G. Primarily Netflix. Was having problems with HD content pausing every 10 minutes but that problem has stopped. I am guessing it was caused by Comcast lags and has been fixed.

I have a WNDR3700 modem and a TiVo Wireless G dongle. Power is in the 90% range.

Now I am re-reading the poll question...Perhaps this is only if the source is in the home? I don't do that yet.
post #25 of 98 Old 10-22-2010, 07:05 AM

Although my media, or home theater, is not setup yet, my house is pre-wired with cat6. So, it would be Gigabit. I have 6 network drops right behind where the TV/HTPC/Receiver will go. I also have 4 network drops in every bedroom, this all ties into my office upstairs that is connected to two NETGEAR Gigabit switches.

Having a fully wired, gigabit network leaves me with endless possibilities on streaming media throughout my entire home.
post #26 of 98 Old 10-22-2010, 08:36 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
G, going to dual-band G/N at the end of the year.

Built a new home, now filling it with sights and sounds!
post #27 of 98 Old 10-22-2010, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiFun View Post

But just because your hardware supports these high speeds does not mean you will get them!

Yes, it does.

What kills the speed you're looking at in Windows is the whole error checking thing that goes on. TCP/IP has alot of overhead. No, you cannot fully utilize all of the Gigabit pipe but it *is* all being used.
post #28 of 98 Old 10-22-2010, 08:55 AM
Advanced Member

Wireless N - only streaming is for Netflix on ocassion
post #29 of 98 Old 10-22-2010, 09:24 AM
AVS Club Gold

Entire home is Gigabit ethernet - everything is on it, even the 28 KVA generator and assorted UPS units.

The Wifi system is a Ruckus Wireless wifi "N", with multiple Dual-band units, controlled by a central "Zone Director". There is fallback compatibility with A, B, G clients also. The Ruckus units are fantastic, with 450 mw power and phased array antennae, and almost a necessity, as the house is "all concrete" construction. No drywall used at all.

The playback systems are gigabit hardwired. With gigabit switches being so darn cheap these days, its the easiest upgrade around.

The wifi is mainly used for laptops, skype etc. I have tested it with video playback, however, and it has easily supported multiple HD streams just fine.
post #30 of 98 Old 10-22-2010, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 139
can someone recommend a good GIGABIT wired router and network card for my pc?

I currently stream 8TB of movies/music to my home theater via PS3 Media Server and my PS3....I have 100mb wired connection via cat6 cable, but i'd like to get even more speed if possible.
Reply Community News & Polls

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page