Secrets of Amplifier and Speaker Power Requirements Revealed - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 34 Old 10-31-2010, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post

good value does not equal good sound. Especially it's good value for guitar-amp.

I used to own lots of Behringer amps, mixer, effects... yeah, I got rid of them all. Even a Mackie is better than anything Behringer and only for a fraction more.

I agree, and the EP4000 is marketed for PA systems, so it's probably not the best choice for your home stereo, as PA systems generally want volume over quality. Although Mackie is generally regarded as the top of the line in mixers, so "even a Mackie is better" doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

I checked the specs for the amp and it's 550W RMS into 8 Ohms @ 1% THD, both channels driven. Not too shabby, especially for under $400.

But again, I would never get a PA amplifier for my home stereo unless I didn't care at all about sound quality.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 34 Old 10-31-2010, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 325
well, the Mackie power amps are actually not designed for studio use but for concerts. They sound harsh but at least they are clean unlike the Behringer. For mastering, I want something that is really clean and smooth sounding. So I bought a Bryston (used).

But that's during my studio days and those days are over a decade ago.

I'd recommend Emotiva XPA series if you want something clean and powerful yet affordable.

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre

post #33 of 34 Old 11-05-2010, 11:33 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by spivonious View Post

I agree, and the EP4000 is marketed for PA systems, so it's probably not the best choice for your home stereo, as PA systems generally want volume over quality. Although Mackie is generally regarded as the top of the line in mixers, so "even a Mackie is better" doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

I checked the specs for the amp and it's 550W RMS into 8 Ohms @ 1% THD, both channels driven. Not too shabby, especially for under $400.

But again, I would never get a PA amplifier for my home stereo unless I didn't care at all about sound quality.

An exception to this would most likely be something like Crown Audio's really nice PA amps.
post #34 of 34 Old 11-05-2010, 11:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 139
Guys.... I just got a McIntosh MC7601 running bridged at 300wpc and I gotta tell ya it's incredible! I'm sure my sound has improved because of the extra power but man it really kicks asss
Reply Community News & Polls

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page