New Western Digital Media Player Offers Blockbuster On Demand - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 10-27-2010, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
New Western Digital Media Player Offers Blockbuster On Demand

Western Digital Inc. Oct. 26 unveiled an updated media player that for the first time grants users access to transactional video-on-demand movies from Blockbuster. The WD TV Live Hub media center, which is available exclusively from Best Buy for $199.99, also features Netflix streaming, Pandora music, YouTube videos, Flickr photo sharing, AccuWeather.com, and MediaFly repurposed video podcasts from ESPN, CNN, NBC and MTV, among others. Media players, including devices from Roku, Seagate, and Netgear, among others, represent conduits linking the Internet with the television. With consumer electronics products such as connected HDTVs and Blu-ray Disc players expected to be a key holiday retail item, standalone media players are increasing content selections, compatibility and hard drive capacity to remain competitive. Indeed, the WD TV Live Hub features 1TB storage capacity, two USB ports, HDMI connection and wireless connectivity (with separate adaptor). The customizable user interface enables personalization of screen backgrounds and user interface themes, as well as setting of favorites and content ratings. Standard wired or wireless USB keyboards can be used for text input for activities such as searches of local content and YouTube and Facebook interaction.

For links and more stories visit the new Streaming Media section at HomeToys.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 10-27-2010, 08:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
If this thing had a cablecard slot and acted like a cablebox dvr, I would buy two instantly.

Joe.T
post #3 of 12 Old 10-28-2010, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttabean View Post

If this thing had a cablecard slot and acted like a cablebox dvr, I would buy two instantly.

It only does what half dozen other media, dvr's, game system already do
I'm sure it will defined it self on few specific features, but when my microwave can stream Netflix, and Pandora etc what are the real advantages in another black box!

Djoel
post #4 of 12 Old 10-28-2010, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Well the built-in TB of storage is big plus.

What other stand-alone devices can handle all the formats that WD LIVE HD can AND has 1tb of storage?
post #5 of 12 Old 10-28-2010, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Give it a few weeks and there will be something on the market..
In the mean time folks with HTPC aren't that impress.

Djoel
post #6 of 12 Old 10-28-2010, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I saw this device at my local Best Buy yesterday and could not find the price or a sales person to tell me how much it cost.
Now I know.

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #7 of 12 Old 10-28-2010, 01:52 PM
L_T

It is all fine and dandy that Western digital keeps releasing better media players.

However, they quickly drop support for their media players after release. The WD HDTV Live hasn't had a firmware update since 3/2010. Also, they release new players without any warning. I bought a WD HDTV Live a month before the WD HDTV Live Plus came out.

It serves its purpose for easy playback of a multitude of different file formats without having to convert or hooking up a PC to your TV. Also, they use a small fraction of the power a PS3/Xbox 360 or a PC while on.

However, this trend of release and not supporting the product with firmware updates is troubling. This will make me think twice about buying their products.
post #8 of 12 Old 10-29-2010, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Anyone know if this uses a RF remote or IR? I am looking for something like this that has an RF remote so I can mount it behind my back seat in my truck and run composite video to my head unit and headrest monitors. Figure it would be nice to have all my music ready to play, and a bunch of video files ready to go rather than dealing with Discs or hooking up the iPod cable all the time.
post #9 of 12 Old 10-29-2010, 04:19 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Boxee Box will have RF remote when it comes out but you will need to add and external hard drive via usb.

DB
post #10 of 12 Old 11-01-2010, 02:46 PM
L_T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerstalker View Post

Anyone know if this uses a RF remote or IR? I am looking for something like this that has an RF remote so I can mount it behind my back seat in my truck and run composite video to my head unit and headrest monitors. Figure it would be nice to have all my music ready to play, and a bunch of video files ready to go rather than dealing with Discs or hooking up the iPod cable all the time.

If it is anything like their previous models it is more than likely IR.
post #11 of 12 Old 11-01-2010, 07:57 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by L_T View Post

It is all fine and dandy that Western digital keeps releasing better media players.

However, they quickly drop support for their media players after release. The WD HDTV Live hasn't had a firmware update since 3/2010. Also, they release new players without any warning. I bought a WD HDTV Live a month before the WD HDTV Live Plus came out.

It serves its purpose for easy playback of a multitude of different file formats without having to convert or hooking up a PC to your TV. Also, they use a small fraction of the power a PS3/Xbox 360 or a PC while on.

However, this trend of release and not supporting the product with firmware updates is troubling. This will make me think twice about buying their products.

Is anything broken? I don't see why everything has to be updated all the time, I like when manufactures ship products that work perfectly right out of the gate.
post #12 of 12 Old 11-02-2010, 06:33 AM
L_T

Quote:
Originally Posted by reallynotnick View Post

Is anything broken? I don't see why everything has to be updated all the time, I like when manufactures ship products that work perfectly right out of the gate.

Broken? Not quite. Improvements can always be made.

If I recall correctly when I first got the WD HDTV Live you could fast forward through MKV files but not jump ahead. This was added later with a firmware update.

The newer WD HDTV Live Plus can playback dvd iso files and access the menu. The WD HDTV Live can not. It can play dvd iso files but can not access the menu. This should be doable via firmware update.

The Live Plus can playback Netflix while the Live can't. This is due to extra hardware on the Plus version. I can accept that this is beyond what can be done via firmware update.

I also own two of the original 1st gen WD HDTV's. It was sold with supposed MKV playback. A majority of my MKV files didn't play correctly until a firmware update released later.

Both the Live and Live plus crash when playing MKVs with compressed audio. This is probably fixable via firmware if they cared to fix it.
Reply Community News & Polls

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page