Is Your Home Theater Setup Ruining Your Movie Experience? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 10-29-2010, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Is Your Home Theater Setup Ruining Your Movie Experience?
Author: Alan Lofft

It's always exciting for audio/video enthusiasts and novices alike when their new speakers, big flat-screen TV, A/V receiver and other components arrive at the front door, ready to be unboxed and set up for the first movie viewing and home theater experience.

Sometimes, however, after setup, the initial impact of the experience may not meet the owner's expectations. Disappointment ensues.

Frequently (with a couple of exceptions I'll get to later) it's through no intrinsic fault of the newly purchased audio-video equipment, but rather just plain old mistakes in system setup.

Herewith are some of the most common home theater setup mistakes that may just ruin your home-theater viewing/surround sound experience:

Read the complete article in the latest issue of our eMagazine at HomeToys.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 10-30-2010, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 753
Nope not here !
I don't go the theaters anymore my HT gives me a better experience

I'm better @ home in the Man-Cave ,where there is a pause button & a free food !
no yakking asshats on cell phones
i did read your links & I have mine set-up right ! & YES it really matters to have the set-up done right
gridbug and DrZaus like this.

Mike

JAZZ IS NOT DEAD IT JUST SMELLS FUNNY ; FRANK ZAPPA
post #3 of 18 Old 10-30-2010, 11:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastslappy View Post

Nope not here !

I'm better @ home in the Man-Cave ,where there is a pause button & a free food !
i did read your links & I have mine set-up right ! & YES it really matters to have the set-up done right

my thoughts exactly, a well done home theater is the preferred way to watch movies. no lines, nosy kids, bad sound, bad picture, old farts, etc.
post #4 of 18 Old 10-30-2010, 11:43 AM

Liked: 17
It's very rare that we get out to the cinema these days. Last time was Avatar in fact, and that was just to see it in 3D, a relatively lackluster event which was quickly corrected when I picked it up on blu-ray and screened it in our modest but very comfy HT. Lesson learned.

post #5 of 18 Old 11-01-2010, 06:11 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastslappy View Post

Nope not here !

Same here. We'll only go to the theatre for a exterme blockbuster, otherwise we'll wait patiently for the Blu-Ray to watch at home
post #6 of 18 Old 11-02-2010, 12:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicS View Post

Same here. We'll only go to the theatre for a exterme blockbuster, otherwise we'll wait patiently for the Blu-Ray to watch at home

heck, I still just wait ! See by Waiting ... My HT will pay for itself .. Just have to avoid the ppl who just must tell the end of every movie they have just seen ..

Mike

JAZZ IS NOT DEAD IT JUST SMELLS FUNNY ; FRANK ZAPPA
post #7 of 18 Old 11-02-2010, 02:09 PM
Advanced Member

great article!
post #8 of 18 Old 12-08-2010, 11:26 PM

we setup a home theater in our home then we no need to go to see a movie in theater because we need sound quality we get it at our home now a days picture quality is best at most of every home they need sound quality, we setup home theater in home but we set proper it not be nearer to window and door so we cant get good output.
post #9 of 18 Old 12-13-2010, 02:24 AM

a good read!
post #10 of 18 Old 01-12-2011, 09:20 AM

No not at all,my home theater is working very well and it is not ruining my movie experience at all. it is a HD home theater which is attached with extra twin woofers.
post #11 of 18 Old 07-15-2012, 08:47 PM

Yeah same here. We invested in a home theatre and now we dont go to the cinema anymore. Watching movies at home is so much better! Nobody kicking your seats!
post #12 of 18 Old 08-23-2012, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Movie theaters ruin my movie experience! I only go if I get passes from buying BDs, like the two $7.50-off movie cash for Expendables 2. I try to go to matinees towards the end of the run as there's much less riff-raff and inconsiderate unwashed masses by then. My wife won't even go anymore.

My HT pretty much blows most theaters out of the water in AQ and PQ and 3D. Plus, it's much more comfortable and convenient and I can eat and drink whatever I want cheaply too.

...Steve
"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

My 3D-BD/BD/HD-DVD/DVD collection and HT gear

post #13 of 18 Old 09-16-2012, 10:47 AM

Liked: 11
My wife and I still go to theaters because we go to matinee's, and the early ones usually don't have any kids since they're mostly in school at the time. The theater we go to has a quite decent system which has been upgraded recently with new 3d projector's and a new sound system. It has a much brighter picture now because of the update. I've gotten to know the theater owner, and so, I get special deals from him often. I like the scope of a big theater screen.

At home, because of its age [101 years now] and the layout of our living room [HT room], it's not possible to put in a 3D HDTV bigger than 55". I do have almost all 3D movies out so far., and my general collection is boasting 200+ BD's and a good assortment of DVD's as well!
post #14 of 18 Old 09-24-2012, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 279
Is my Home Theater setup ruining my movie experience? Hell no! I love it and its the reason why my fiance and I dont go to the theaters anymore. Why go to a movie theater when I can enjoy a movie right in my own home? And now that I have a new LED/3D tv on the way from Sony its only gonna get better.

Sony Bravia KDL-55W900A LED/3D TV.
Sony BDP S6200 3D Blu ray Player.
Sony 5.2-Channel 4K A/V HD Receiver - STRDH540.
Center Channel Speaker: Tivoli Signature Series.
Tower Speakers: Sony SS-MF315's.
Surrounds: Pioneer Satellite Speakers.
post #15 of 18 Old 11-22-2012, 11:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I know it is not a big screen and dedicated room, but the lack of annoying humans makes the 60" TV and a very good surround sound system in the living room a good enough HT experience that I really do not see myself going back to the cinema.

Regards,
Charlie

post #16 of 18 Old 11-27-2012, 07:28 AM

Liked: 11
The best part of watching the movie on my system at home is when I like a certain part whether for the visual or audio impact, I can hit rewind as many times as I like to. When i'm showing off, I be like dag watch this or did you hear that explosion? Lol!
Later!

"If you lend someone $20.00 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it!"
Equipment:
Classe SSP-600 Processor
Rotel RMB-1095 Amplifier
Pioneer PRO-151FD 60" Plasma
Oppo BDP-95 Blu Ray Player
Paradigm Studio 100 Fronts/Studio 40 Rears/Studio CC-450 Center
Mirage BPS-400 Subwoofer
post #17 of 18 Old 12-03-2012, 09:54 PM

The last movie I saw in a theater was Titanic. It's become a running joke around here. For the longest time my home set up was better than the theaters around here. It's still more private, the food and wine is much better and if I want to watch in my pajamas, I can! I agree, the home stuff has made my experience much better as it runs on my time and if something is wrong I can fix it rather than sitting there pissed off because management doesn't seem to see a problem with the distortion coming out of the left front speaker or the smudge on the optics.
post #18 of 18 Old 12-04-2012, 12:45 AM

Liked: 15
I do go to a few films (much anticipated blockbusters) on occasion, but enjoy the home theater experience much more. To be honest, I am looking forward to taking the wife and kids to Life of Pi as well as The Hobbit (both in a theater with Dolby ATMOS, and the Hobbit will also be at 48FPS!biggrin.gif). But otherwise, it seems everyone is preferring their home to a theater setting... and I'm sure the cinema owners are feeling the affects of this in their bottom line too!eek.gif
Reply Community News & Polls

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page